• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

4BR Official Tier List Discussion

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Why would Robin not experience the hit lag of the electric modifier?

Dath is calculating data assuming that the 1.1.1 patch didn't EQUALISE hit lag between the attacker and receiver in shield but rather REVERSED IT.

But you're essentially suggesting the patch made Robin gain 16~ frame advantage buffs.
Even Ryu would be jealous of that.

And I'm at the least pretty sure a final frame of forward air is -6 on auto cancel.

Believe what you want though~
-.-

Last edited:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Ok, so talking about Robin I will be referencing the following document, which I have spent ~11 hours originally drafting and later updating with Dath, the other best Robin player in the world: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hVmblcX5ZdZFD9rdjRkxYuM5_2bE_jHqn1mTDYhkf_E/edit?usp=sharing

There's also a video on my youtube channel that is really long, but documents us going through that process and discussing the matchups.

My Tier List, for ref:
20: :4sheik:
19: :4zss:
18: :rosalina::4ryu:
17: :4metaknight::4sonic::4mario::4diddy::4pikachu::4fox:
16: :4cloud::4villager::4yoshi::4ness::4falcon::4rob::4luigi:
15: :4darkpit::4pit::4robinf::4wario::4myfriends:
14: :4olimar::4peach::4dk::4tlink::4lucario::4megaman::4greninja:
13:
12: :4feroy::4kirby::4bowser::4gaw::4pacman:
11::4bowserjr::4falco::4link::4wiifit:
10: :4marth::4littlemac::4lucas::4mewtwo::4drmario:
9: :4shulk::4dedede::4duckhunt::4palutena::4charizard::4samus:
8: :4lucina::4ganondorf::4jigglypuff:
7:
6: :4zelda:
5:
4:
3:
2:
1:

Notes: I am abstaining from ranking the Miis as I feel the current commonly accepted rules are wildly unfair to Mii players, and do not have enough information on 1111/Default Gunner/Sword especially to rank them appropriately. #FreeMii

My break point for 'you generally won't see these characters in the upper ends of tournaments' is the gap between 14 and 12.
Visual Summary of Robin's Matchups:

Send Help? : :4zss: (Potentially as bad as 2-8, if the ZSS plays it as @NickRiddle does, due to abusive option coverage on recovery. Against your average ZSS this is probably only 4-6)
Solid Disadvantage (4-6): :4diddy::4pikachu:
Slight Disadvantage (45-55): :4mario::4falcon::4cloud::rosalina::4sheik::4olimar:
Even: :4fox::4lucario::4marth::4metaknight::4gaw::4ness::4rob::4ryu::4sonic::4yoshi:
Slight Advantage (55-45): :4darkpit::4pit::4drmario::4greninja::4myfriends::4kirby::4littlemac::4lucina::4luigi::4megaman::4palutena::4tlink::4villager::4wario:
Strong Advantage (60-40): :4bowser::4bowserjr::4dk::4duckhunt::4falco::4link::4peach::4feroy::4samus::4shulk::4zelda:
You really shouldn't lose (65-35 or worse): :4charizard::4ganondorf::4dedede:
Unranked due to lack of experience from either of us: :4pacman::4wiifit::4mewtwo::4miigun::4miisword:

The short summary of things is that Dath and I think Robin is a high tier character. She has a lot going for her. Extremely good at racking damage, kills extremely early compared to basically everyone except Ryu and ZSS, has Arcthunder, which is one of the best projectiles in the game for pressure, and is what enables the checkmate. Strong, disjointed aerials and an exceptional jab facilitate an excellent zoning game. Only has to approach against like..... 3-5 characters? (Cloud, Fox, Lucario, G&W, maybe 1 or 2 others) Her breakable items (tomes & levin sword) allow her to defend herself during their respawn time simply by threatening to throw the item, or throwing it and re-catching it if it is shielded. Dath and I both abuse this to great effect.

Many of her cons have become significantly less pronounced. Elwind is abusable if Robin loses her double-jump, but she has great ability to weave with it horizontally (especially after buffs from one of the previous patches) and as long as she HAS her jump she rarely has much of an issue recovering.

Her landing game has become significantly better primarily due to Bair's increased safety as a result of the shield stun changes and the landing lag buffs. Bair is safe against a lot of characters barring powershield, and you can throw it out very late without much issue.

She really only struggles with characters capable of consistently breaking her zone and keeping her from landing safely. I will of course acknowledge that the hardest of these are indeed fairly common, top tier characters. However I don't think she has any unwinnable matchups* (Pending test ZSS at Genesis with @NickRiddle ), and boasts a number of strong matchups with relevant characters. (Even with Fox, MK, Ness, Ryu, ROB, Sonic, Yoshi, and Advantaged over Luigi, Toon Link, Wario, Villager, The Pits, Greninja, Ike) She's got a better Sheik matchup than a lot of characters below her can say, stemming primarily from the differential in kill potential (thanks rage) and how strong her jab is in the matchup.

I'll push this harder if/when Dath and I take some big names at Genesis, but I think this character has been overlooked by a lot of people other than like.... those who live in Florida with Dath. Robin is like, mid tier at worst. Anyone putting this character below like, Roy, Bowser, Kirby, Lucas, Bowser Jr, Falco, etc..... is way off base. She has way more tools than basically all of those characters.

Last edited:

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I've said what I wanted to say about mac, but as for sonic:

I honestly think this character has the 2nd best matchup spread in the game outside of sheik, and is also sheik's toughest matchup. Results wise, perhaps he doesn't deserve 2nd best, but in all honesty, outside of Nairo for ZSS and Dabuz for Rosa, there aren't a lot of really top level representatives of those characters in the US, whereas sonic has quite a few reps, some placing in the top8 as well. Japan has historically ranked this character as high as I have ranked him, and has only changed that view recently. This character is incredibly safe, with a ton of non-committal options that can net better than average reward. This character can tack on 30-40% RELIABLY off of A SHIELD POKE... And the opportunities to shield poke are plentiful. I feel like a lot of you have severely underrated sonic in this vote.

EDIT: @ all the people who voted any of pikachu diddy or fox above sonic. Why? Which results dictate this? What matchup spreads dictate this? I suppose it's based off of pure theorycraft, but even then? Seems unlikely to me. @ the people rating ness or yoshi above sonic. No.

Last edited:

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
I just took a look. I can agree with all of the placements whose averages deviated from mine, with the exceptions of Bowser Jr. and 1111 Mii Gunner. I do agree that they both should be low, but not as low as you brutes are making them out to be. I'm not sure if I can defend that statement, but obviously I'll try if you need me to.

Also, I could understand if we wanted to raise up Dr. Mario position higher. We should probably talk about that.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Thinkaman Thinkaman Impressive work. I will edit my vote close to the deadline and make some changes. Probably going to move Bowser, Lucas and Mewtwo up due to recent buffs, though I think I was already a little more pessimistic on Bowser and Mewtwo than most people (pre-patch I thought Mewtwo was one of the worst in the game). Also could see myself move Cloud up, hopefully Genesis will put him in perspective more.

With Kirby and Lucina I'll gladly be convinced to rate them less poorly, but especially Lucina seems to have little going for her. Note that I don't think even the bottom tier is completely useless in this game and we have already seen cases were they did well in the hands of a top player (Nairo with Zelda, ESAM with Samus). What did you find on Kirby that made you change your mind? I think he has a better Sheik matchup than many of his peers, but other than that he still seems underwhelming.

M@v

Subarashii!
This post is actually coming to you from 36,000 feet while I'm en route to Cali for Genesis/visiting my sister in San Francisco (yay), so I'll just talk about doc for now, and get to the others later today once I'm in San Francisco and settled.

As for doc, I'm not comparing him to Mario with his position. Sure he can be looked at as the melee roy to melee marth, but docs issues are his mobility and recovery. Doc is one of my less serious secondaries/was my first main so I got a lot of playtime with him. He has strong moves and decent combos. Hell down b is amazing IMO; better than fludd. But there are several matchups he has basically no hope in because he gets gimped too easily, and there are other matchups where all you have to do is play keepaway from doc and you win. Seriously, doc SUCKS at chasing people. His mobility is trash. Even Mario has some slight issues chasing down certain characters because of his average speed, but the problem is exponentially worse for doc. That's why I feel lylat is docs best stage: not a lot of space for opponents to run and you can abuse down b really well. Lastly, heres the mario conparsipn because it should still be noted: most of docs moves relative to marios are worse. Down b, pills, and fsmash, maybe downsmash are about the only better moves. His upsmash has no invincibility and even though the angle is good for edgeguards, it would just be easier to I'll them off the top with Mario. Also, his upb is way less safe for some dumb reason. Why they made marios upb super safe and docs super unsafe when recovering is beyond me. Maybe they feared it would be too strong since its a kill move? (And it isn't even that strong tbh). I can see the concern, but he should have the safer upb to have a better recovery and marios upb should be less safe go give him a weakness.

Raziek Raziek not sure I agree with all of that Robin mu spread...Rosa can be pretty hard if they lame it out since Robins too slow to capitalize properly when Luma is dead. I've also felt for a long time Mario was Robin's worst mu, because I felt fair was his/her only good option. However, the Nair range buff feels like helps a ton since I don't need to rely on fair spam alone in neutral vs Mario anymore. Fox vs Robin is weird; I say its even too, but only because it averages out to that. Robin wins on small stages and Fox wins on big ones; stage selection is critical in that mu.

Last edited:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Raziek Raziek not sure I agree with all of that Robin mu spread...Rosa can be pretty hard if they lame it out since Robins too slow to capitalize properly when Luma is dead. I've also felt for a long time Mario was Robin's worst mu, because I felt fair was his/her only good option. However, the Nair range buff feels like helps a ton since I don't need to rely on fair spam alone in neutral vs Mario anymore. Fox vs Robin is weird; I say its even too, but only because it averages out to that. Robin wins on small stages and Fox wins on big ones; stage selection is critical in that mu.
Rosa is possibly 4-6, but it's certainly winnable. I don't think Robin is too slow to capitalize. As soon as Luma is dead you get a free Arcthunder to approach with (or she comes to you).

Mario I thought was worse until Dath discovered you can trade Dair with Mario's Up-B and he dies at like 50.

Agree on Fox.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
I've said what I wanted to say about mac, but as for sonic:

I honestly think this character has the 2nd best matchup spread in the game outside of sheik, and is also sheik's toughest matchup. Results wise, perhaps he doesn't deserve 2nd best, but in all honesty, outside of Nairo for ZSS and Dabuz for Rosa, there aren't a lot of really top level representatives of those characters in the US, whereas sonic has quite a few reps, some placing in the top8 as well. Japan has historically ranked this character as high as I have ranked him, and has only changed that view recently. This character is incredibly safe, with a ton of non-committal options that can net better than average reward. This character can tack on 30-40% RELIABLY off of A SHIELD POKE... And the opportunities to shield poke are plentiful. I feel like a lot of you have severely underrated sonic in this vote.

EDIT: @ all the people who voted any of pikachu diddy or fox above sonic. Why? Which results dictate this? What matchup spreads dictate this? I suppose it's based off of pure theorycraft, but even then? Seems unlikely to me. @ the people rating ness or yoshi above sonic. No.
My main is busted due to his ability to control the pace of the game, invincible recovery, and damage output. I admit this wholeheartedly. I put him 6th on my list. :4ness: and :4yoshi: are definitely worse than :4sonic:. I could see :4diddy:, :4fox:, and :4pikachu: being above or below him though. He loses slightly to :4cloud:, :4yoshi:, :rosalina:, :4zss: and :4fox:. Every other matchup feels advantageous or even. :4sonic:'s matchup spread across the board is full of even matchups.

Sidenote: :4sheik: vs :4sonic: is mad fun for me LOL. Never have to worry about dying and outdamage her.
Ok, so talking about Robin I will be referencing the following document, which I have spent ~11 hours originally drafting and later updating with Dath, the other best Robin player in the world: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hVmblcX5ZdZFD9rdjRkxYuM5_2bE_jHqn1mTDYhkf_E/edit?usp=sharing

There's also a video on my youtube channel that is really long, but documents us going through that process and discussing the matchups.

My Tier List, for ref:

Visual Summary of Robin's Matchups:

Send Help? : :4zss: (Potentially as bad as 2-8, if the ZSS plays it as @NickRiddle does, due to abusive option coverage on recovery. Against your average ZSS this is probably only 4-6)
Solid Disadvantage (4-6): :4diddy::4pikachu:
Slight Disadvantage (45-55): :4mario::4falcon::4cloud::rosalina::4sheik::4olimar:
Even: :4fox::4lucario::4marth::4metaknight::4gaw::4ness::4rob::4ryu::4sonic::4yoshi:
Slight Advantage (55-45): :4darkpit::4pit::4drmario::4greninja::4myfriends::4kirby::4littlemac::4lucina::4luigi::4megaman::4palutena::4tlink::4villager::4wario:
Strong Advantage (60-40): :4bowser::4bowserjr::4dk::4duckhunt::4falco::4link::4peach::4feroy::4samus::4shulk::4zelda:
You really shouldn't lose (65-35 or worse): :4charizard::4ganondorf::4dedede:
Unranked due to lack of experience from either of us: :4pacman::4wiifit::4mewtwo::4miigun::4miisword:

The short summary of things is that Dath and I think Robin is a high tier character. She has a lot going for her. Extremely good at racking damage, kills extremely early compared to basically everyone except Ryu and ZSS, has Arcthunder, which is one of the best projectiles in the game for pressure, and is what enables the checkmate. Strong, disjointed aerials and an exceptional jab facilitate an excellent zoning game. Only has to approach against like..... 3-5 characters? (Cloud, Fox, Lucario, G&W, maybe 1 or 2 others) Her breakable items (tomes & levin sword) allow her to defend herself during their respawn time simply by threatening to throw the item, or throwing it and re-catching it if it is shielded. Dath and I both abuse this to great effect.

Many of her cons have become significantly less pronounced. Elwind is abusable if Robin loses her double-jump, but she has great ability to weave with it horizontally (especially after buffs from one of the previous patches) and as long as she HAS her jump she rarely has much of an issue recovering.

Her landing game has become significantly better primarily due to Bair's increased safety as a result of the shield stun changes and the landing lag buffs. Bair is safe against a lot of characters barring powershield, and you can throw it out very late without much issue.

She really only struggles with characters capable of consistently breaking her zone and keeping her from landing safely. I will of course acknowledge that the hardest of these are indeed fairly common, top tier characters. However I don't think she has any unwinnable matchups* (Pending test ZSS at Genesis with @NickRiddle ), and boasts a number of strong matchups with relevant characters. (Even with Fox, MK, Ness, Ryu, ROB, Sonic, Yoshi, and Advantaged over Luigi, Toon Link, Wario, Villager, The Pits, Greninja, Ike) She's got a better Sheik matchup than a lot of characters below her can say, stemming primarily from the differential in kill potential (thanks rage) and how strong her jab is in the matchup.

I'll push this harder if/when Dath and I take some big names at Genesis, but I think this character has been overlooked by a lot of people other than like.... those who live in Florida with Dath. Robin is like, mid tier at worst. Anyone putting this character below like, Roy, Bowser, Kirby, Lucas, Bowser Jr, Falco, etc..... is way off base. She has way more tools than basically all of those characters.
I question a lot of these matchups you and Dath claim :4robinm: goes even or wins against. I feel like :4falco: should definitely go even or beat :4robinm:. I also do not believe :4fox: vs :4robinm: is even. How does she even catch :4fox: or get around reflector reliably.

:018:

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I am still constantly editing my list, but I'll go through my outliers.

:4yoshi:
I have Yoshi set as 14. Yoshi is a pretty good character. I just don't feel that he is very great. I think it will be perfectly possible to get top 8 at nationals with Yoshi and he is definitely viable IMO, but it will take a lot of work.

He has decent kill power and speed. Most of his attacks are generally good. However, Yoshi generally has trouble vs. good ground games and pressure (especially offstage). With all of the global techniques improving players' ground movement, Yoshi doesn't have an awesome throw for his grab like Lucas (who I have below Yoshi). I also feel that Yoshi has an overly high reliance on things like air dodging. To my knowledge, jab into usmash is not overly guaranteed and I am not well versed on many others outside of perhaps egg throw confirms. Yoshi needs to rely on his good movement and generally nice attacks. One of the worst rolls in the game minor affects him. Underwhelming dash into shield frames of 14 also hurts his ground movement.

:4dk:
I have DK set as 15. Generally, DK has good frame data for his weight class and size. His overall movement speed is great, too. Optimized cargo combos keep coming. He has a string breaker frame 3 upB that can potentially deal a lot of damage. His dash into shield, however, is very poor, so he must be careful when dashing. His fair also creates a giant gap in his spacing diagonally below him. Fortunately, he can somewhat use his nair. He also lacks disjoints and finds himself leaving his hurtbox out a lot.

DK's attacks generally flow well with his grab. Tilts have intangibility frames. Dtilt can trip into grab. His buffed dash attack can also lead into tilts or grabs. Jab1 can lead into grab or a sweetspot utilt. He has quick and powerful (but less powerful than his weight class) aerials with low FAF. Neutral B can help alleviate his fair weakness by allowing him to switch the way he is facing during juggles and offstage.

Cargo helps with both damage racking and positioning. The window for the cargo kill confirm is limited, but its range is potentially ludicrous, especially with rage.

I'd put DK (and Bowser) much higher if I wasn't worried about consistency issues with some problem MUs that may appear for him.

:4feroy:
I have him at 8 currently. He's been moving around the 8-9 area, but I have trouble keeping him higher (was actually going to ask about him).

His biggest problem of course is that he is hurt for spacing, but Roy still has to space. It makes little sense for Roy to go into his sweetspot range when applying pressure or spacing, but rather bait and punish. Roy's spaced aerials were actually hurt on shield with the recent shield changes.

Roy's aerials are decent to mediocre. 10 and 8 frame startup on his fair and bair are a little high. He can't autocancel any aerial on a shorthop, making him susceptible to ducking, shields, or whiff punishing.

Roy lacks killing aerials, which also hurts him. He can kill with the likes of his 19 landing lag, 30 BKB 100KBG 12 damage (mediocre) bair near the edge, but that's it. Fortunately, his uair is pretty great and combos into quite a few things, but he needs more good options to mix up. Fair's low FAF can also be used for air to air combos. Overall, Roy's landing lag on aerials are pretty good outside of bair and dair, helping him combo with landing aerials, too. Dair is just asking for an SD/gimp, especially if you miss.

The way his aerials work makes Roy not want to jump too often (except for the predictable nairs), but Roy's dash frame data is not good outside of extended dash dancing. He has the worst dash->shield in the game at 16 frames (which also hurts Marth & co. on my list as well). He doesn't want to just dash attack, so he is mostly forced to look for nairs or grabs, or focus more on walking. However, he doesn't even get much grab reward. His grab reward can be decent to even quite good with mixups/character dependent, but Roy has to properly respond to the opponent, and that 16 frame dash->shield hurts him immensely.

Roy's ground moves are overall well above average. It helps that his speed is great with both walking and dashing, but his dash->shield being so weak hurts with being able to use his ground moves when he wants. His ground moves seem great for spacing, but you have to be around half of the max distance to get the sweetspot. Fortunately, getting the sweetspot isn't as much of an issue as it is with aerials since you can control how you are moving towards your opponent.

Roy has problems killing in general. You need a nice landing aerial, optimized fair combo, ftilt or dash attack near the ledge, or a close ranged smash attack. Against an opponent that properly utilizes defense, it's going to be pretty difficult to get those well. It doesn't help that most of those are quite unsafe, too.

Roy's combo physics are bad. He is a relatively large human that falls very fast with a below average weight. This makes him susceptible to pretty nasty death combos. Roy's anti-juggle/string isn't so bad, though. His nair comes out on frame 5 and hits below him well.

Roy's counter is surprisingly poor. It has low base damage, but scales very well with damage. It also has a tinier window than most other counters. Counters have a practical use for edgeguards, but many of them lack damage. Roy will not have a strong counter for that. Roy's not going to be using counter much in neutral, either.

Finally, Roy's recovery is poor. Fortunately, Roy can swat opponents with his low FAF fair, but he just falls so fast and his recovery moves quite slow. Some characters easily beat it, others can spike. Sometimes, Roy is just too far to recover at all.

Those are the reasons why I have trouble placing Roy very high. It's not all too terrible, either. The disjoint, overall speed, and power on some of his ground attacks are enough by himself to keep up with the likes of Little Mac in my eyes.

:4samus:
I have her at 10. She's still mediocre IMO, but she has quite a few decent properties surrounding her.

Let's start off with the bad. Her grab is poor and her grab reward doesn't make up for it. The opponent needs poor DI in order to link into uair, or it may be character dependent. Her aerials are a little laggy or have above average landing lag. Uair is the only exception. Fair's landing lag is so poor that it creates a gap in her defense when people are pressuring her. She has trouble landing due to the above average landing lag, fair's blindspot, and her floatiness. A lot of characters can exploit that if Samus makes even a tiny mistake.

Her projectiles are pretty laggy for how much reward she gets. Only charge shot may be somewhat worth it, but Samus would generally find some difficulty charging it. Bombs are difficult to set up to hit the opponent.

Her smash attacks are somewhat unwieldy as well. It's difficult for her to blow someone up above her like a simple Mario Usmash would for instance. She can be whiff punished for quite a few of her attacks, too.

Overall, she has many situational attacks, thus she requires a ton of situational knowledge.

Now for the good:
Her mix of tether + projectiles helps form some sort of spacing game. Tether is + on shield drop which helps.

Her dash game is fairly good. While her running speed is mediocre, she has a great initial dash. She is tied for the 2nd best dash->shield frame data in the game. Her dash attack is quite fast and acts as a combo starter to my knowledge. Even though there are allegedly some hitbox problems with it, it doesn't make the move bad.

The shield patch helped her, since her projectiles dealt good amounts of damage. Her jab1 is very good and the shield patch even helped jab2 from being too terrible. Her spacing tilts have good range and damage. She has one of the fastest fsmashes in the game as well. A lot of her moves like bair hit like a truck, which helps.

Her specials have some interesting uses. UpB OoS is great for her, disrupting quite a few strings and helps in combos. Charging her shot helps urge opponents to approach. She can choose between 2 missile types. Bomb can help alter Samus' momentum and mixup during juggles.

Her combo game when it gets started can be pretty intimidating. They are a little higher risk for her compared to other combo starters on other characters IMO, but she is rewarded when she can land them.

Whatever Samus has, it isn't going to be incredibly easy to perform a lot of it, but she does have the tools and properties to perform decently IMO, even though I still put her on the bottom half of the cast. Different Samus players have occasionally performed well at large tournaments ever since the Wii U version came out with Chozox, Afro, Depth, and now Johnny Westside. (hopefully got those names right).

Last edited:

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I recently edited my vote because I wanted to adjust some of the characters slightly--and they already happened to be 2 that you pointed out, Thinkaman Thinkaman . :)

I raised up Doc and dropped down Mii Brawler so that now they're on the same level. Doc's mobility and KO power together make him just a tad higher than Ganondorf, Charizard, Jiggs, and Swordsman--but not by too much. With Doc's limited recovery, though, I can't see him higher than Palutena and above.

The standard set for Brawler, meanwhile, hurts him more than I was initially thinking. I don't have much experience with Miis, though, so my vote for Brawler may still be a bit too low. SoCal didn't have too many tournaments with Miis legal.

As far as Shulk goes, I'll be honest: it's 100% @Trela. Granted, it was all prepatch. The notable Shulks in SoCal all dropped him, so I don't get to play against Shulk nearly as much as I used to. I may be rating him too high and can certainly see him dropping lower. It seems to me, though, that he's a bit more versatile than D3 and below (low tier).

With Lucas, his mobility is much greater than low tiers below him. I don't see him as a mid tier, though, since his kill moves are all a bit telegraphed. He doesn't have a lot of rep, though, so I may be putting him a bit too high.

I also think that Cloud, Olimar, and Mewtwo could be a bit higher.

I think Cloud is gonna be a really difficult one to accurately vote on since he's so new. The upside is a LOT of people are picking him up, way more than other DLC characters when they first released (or so it seems to me). He seems to have a lot of tools and range that highly offset is at times subpar recovery. Then again, I may be totally biased because I'm just the worst against Cloud. I run into everything and look like a kindergartner whenever I have to play ANYONE's Cloud.

Olimar is an odd character for me to rate. He does really well against some of the strongest characters in the game, as clearly evidenced by results from top Olimars like Dabuz, Rich Brown, Angbad, and Myron (not trying to hate with order or accidentally leaving anyone off--this is just off the top of my head). But Olimar also struggles against some odd characters--characters that wouldn't be a problem for him at all in Brawl. His kills are a bit on the telegraphed side, and in these trickier MUs, he's forced to camp for days in an attempt to eventually find an opening. One mess up, though, and Olimar gets destroyed by a rage-filled opponent. (I'm thinking of the Ike or Bowser MU, for example.) It's noteworthy that Olimar players like Dabuz, Rich Brown, and Angbad all use other characters in an attempt to cover some of these MUs--typically a sign that your character isn't a high/top tier. The highest I could see slotting Olimar is at 15. Olimar was my most practiced MU in Brawl, and he clearly has way less tools at his disposal in this iteration of the character.

And as for lastly Mewtwo--I haven't played enough against post-patch Mewtwo to accurately judge him, other than the fact that his buffs seemingly kick him out of low tier. I could still be a bit down on him, though, seeing as he doesn't have a ton of results. His weight still seems to hold him back in a big way.

Anyways, I'm more than happy to discuss any of these further and welcome any suggestions to my outliers and concerns. My schedule is picking up a bit for the next couple weeks, so it might take me a while to respond back in a thorough manner.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
My main is busted due to his ability to control the pace of the game, invincible recovery, and damage output. I admit this wholeheartedly. I put him 6th on my list. :4ness: and :4yoshi: are definitely worse than :4sonic:. I could see :4diddy:, :4fox:, and :4pikachu: being above or below him though. He loses slightly to :4cloud:, :4yoshi:, :rosalina:, :4zss: and :4fox:. Every other matchup feels advantageous or even. :4sonic:'s matchup spread across the board is full of even matchups.

Sidenote: :4sheik: vs :4sonic: is mad fun for me LOL. Never have to worry about dying and outdamage her.

I question a lot of these matchups you and Dath claim :4robinm: goes even or wins against. I feel like :4falco: should definitely go even or beat :4robinm:. I also do not believe :4fox: vs :4robinm: is even. How does she even catch :4fox: or get around reflector reliably.

I agree with a lot of you said... Sonic's m/u spread does indeed include a lot of evenish matchups (imo most are all slight advantages for sonic... 55/45 kind of thing, . I also agree that ZSS and fox beat sonic. However I've been recently thinking sonic might have an advantage over rosa. Sonic can't gimp luma very well, but often times it seems like sonic can bypass luma with relative ease and deal with the heart of the problem directly. I understand the theory behind rosa>sonic, but I am skeptical of it to say the least. I would really like to know why yoshi and cloud beat sonic though, especially cloud (sonic seems to have very good tools to end cloud's life off stage, and cloud suffers from similar things marth did vs sonic in brawl imo).

I too question many of those robin m/us :p

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
BTW, most of us overrated our stated and/or historic mains relative to everyone else a decent amount. Not a lot on average, but a modest amount.

Not surprising.

Last edited:

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
Here is my 2 cents to where and why I feel these characters should be placed on the tier list. Please forgive me if I'm off on my facts, as I don't play any of these characters. This is all based on observation and gathering around tournament results.

Here we go.

:4ryu: - Seeing as how a ton of top level players, like Mr R., 6WX, Trela, False, etc. are picking up Ryu, it's no surprise to see Ryu place high at tournaments. Sure he hasn't won a regional level tournament, but he has the tools to help him compete against the top tiers. Thanks to his early game combo with the dtilt to the side B (forgot what it's called), Dair spike, heavy, ftilt is ideally used as a move that can potentially break shields, focus cancel landing mixups, and has a kill confirm with a few utilts/dtilts or focus attack to up B shoryuken killing at around 80%. A ton of his aerials deal so much percentage. If Ryu came out in the 3DS days, more people would have picked up Ryu over characters like Sheik and the Mario brothers in the first place. Ryu does have his weaknesses, which is predicable recovery, if he got footstooled, it's game over for Ryu. His dash speed is slow, and he has alright air speed. If players learned how to properly DI out of his utilts, it can make a difference. As of right now, Sheik is higher than Ryu because players are more comfortable using Sheik, due to how simple she is and the fact that she has been around for well over a year. Somewhere down the line, I could honestly see Ryu be #1 on the tier list.

:4cloud: - When Cloud first came out, everyone wanted to try him out for locals and see what he's like. A few weeks later, players started to drop him because of his terrible recovery that could easily get gimped. We really haven't seen any results outside of Markus (SoCal?) getting results, which would hold Cloud back. With the right hands and more players supporting him, he could be a high tier threat. Unfortunately, he suffers the same syndrome as Little Mac where Sheik can fair him all the way across the stage and get gimped. Don't get me wrong, I think Cloud is a good character, it's just that we haven't put enough time to properly place him on the tier list. Cloud's strength relies on combos with his uairs, dtilt to anything, bair to bair, and so on. It's a shame that Cloud doesn't have a dthrow combo, otherwise he could be higher up. Cloud is a unique character where he depends on the limit break to help him take games off from players. The nice thing is there are many ways of getting the limit charge to go up, like taking percentage, dealing damage, timer, etc. Once he's fully charged, he's a force to be reckoned with. All of his specials are significantly stronger, his down B is like Little Macs KO punch, neutral B can go through most projectiles, and even his up B can kill off the ceiling. After watching M2K discover Clouds up B where he can auto-snap the ledge, players will have a difficult time gimping him, making him more of a threat. Cloud is one of those characters where he can be easy to learn, but difficult to master, which is why I put him in mid tier. Also, he has no kill setups, which really holds him back. The only special move that's useful for Cloud that's not charged is the side B, but that can be shielded, leaving yourself wide open.

:4luigi: - Oh how have the mighty fallen. Luigi was once top tier character that millions of players have used in tournaments. Players like Boss, Mr.ConCon, J. Miller, False, Shel, LOE1, and along with millions of Luigi players have put in so much effort into making him viable. Ever since the down nerf, players have been dropping him little by little. You will still see the dedicated Luigi players out there put him into some success, but you'll have to work harder into making him good by using different ways to get the kills. Luigi has the combos to make him a high tier threat. Speaking of combos, nair is his primary way of breaking out of combo strings, combined with his natural floatiness. Whenever he fights the fast fallers or floaty characters, he can combo them for days on end. In terms of offstage game, Luigi can come down and tornado spike, or use a dair to mix it up. When it comes to recovery, Luigi has 3 different specials that help him recovery closer to the stage, yet Luigi strggles a little bit, due to how predictable it can be. The down B is not only a spike move, but it can be used as a recovery move as well. Luigi has many Luigi has the worst airspeed by far, so you will see him play more of a footsy game. Characters like Zero Suit Samus, Rosalina, Palutena, Sheik, Donkey Kong can all give Luigi a hard time, due to being able to outspace him with aerials and how they can be zone breakers through Luigis fire balls. Luigi is often left helpless in the air, so you usually would toss out an aerial for safe landings, due to its lackluster range and how terrible his airspeed is.

:4robinm::4robinf: - With the new buffs, Robin has become a force to not be slept on. He has a dthrow combo, and also has a confirm dthrow to uair (levin sword) that can kill insanely early! Arcfires are really good for stage control, shield pressure, as well arc fire to any aerial, smash attack, or heck even the spells. I have seen Robin players place the arcfires near the ledge, forcing your opponent to either jump or roll through the fire. With the new shield hitstun mechanics, it's harder to drop your shield, due to many spells having multi-hits. Robin has a command grab, making the landings that much easier as well as being able to B-Revese the thunders, while charging. The tombs can break their shields if you can recatching the tomb (happened to me at Big House). One of the biggest Robin has is it can be easily be edgeguarded by characters like Rosalinas strong bair, making the job that much harder for Robin. Ness and Lucas players may try to attempt to down B the magic, but as Raziek just corrected me, Robin can easily charge up their Arcthunder magic. Nair is an interesting tool to use offstage because it comes out quick and it sends them closer to the blastzone, regardless of percentage. In my region, we have at least 10 Robin players, if not probably even more, which shows how good Robin can be. With solid results like Raziek, Dath, and M@V putting in the work, it just shows how good the character can be. Overall, I would place Robin in high tier.

:4drmario: - Dr. Mario is a weaker clone of Mario in many ways, but has some unique properties that Mario wish he had. Dr. Marios up B is a kill option and can be used as a combo breaker tool. All of his moves have more knock back than Marios, meaning he is not a combo character. Rather he is more of a bait and punish character. Dthrow to Fair if sweets potted can kill at around 110%, depending on the charcter and stage. If you feeling gusty, you can dive down and use down b to get those janky kills at earlier percentage. Nairo busting that Dr. Mario shows that he can compete with the upper tiers. Then again, were talking Nairo, the player that could literally win a tournament with Dr. Mario if given the time and effort. With all the tools he has along with some things that hold him back, and very little results, I would put him in low high to mid low.

:4ganondorf: - Ganon is one of those characters that seen a lot in tourney, but has never gotten any results from anyone notable. We use to have DLA, a Ganon player in my region, but he dropped the game for PM. Also, we have in the Midwest region GanontheBeast wrecking the Missouri area with Ganondorf. At Kings of the North, GanontheBeast placed 9th, losing to Rosalina and Sheik, both of which are two very solid players along with them being top tiers. With the buffs, it helped Ganon move a little quicker, but not enough to make an impact on the current meta. Ganon is a scary force to be reckoned with if you don't know the matchup, you'll be ahead on percentage and all of a sudden you get Ganoncide, so you begin the match with one stock each. Watch out for his side B near the ledge! Ganon has a hard time approaching against characters with projectiles, due to its slow running speed and laggy attacks. A good player with strong reads can make a difference in the MU, letting you score kills earlier than expected. Generally, Ganon is a character that is meant for patient players that have impeccable spacing as well as having really strong reads to really get anywhere. His uair has a weird hitbox where it sends the player at away from the stage. Due to the minor buffs and players doing well at local regions, I feel Ganon would fit well in the low mid to upper low tier.

:4jigglypuff: - I know a lot of people will object to this, but I see Jigglypuff as a power house aerial fighter. She has excellent aerial mobility, rest can kill at 40% on medium weight characters. A rest can punish any player that rolls straight into her (if your feeling gusty, punish their airdodge with a rest), or tries to overcommit, like a dash attack or any move that's laggy. Pound is a good move to use as a shield breaker, after you started applying the safe air pressure. Jigglypuff has some weaknesses that are really holding her back, which is her light weight, horrible running speed, dash attack has end lag, when the shield breaks, there goes her stock (Yoshi's Down B and Ryu's ftilt say "hi!") Her smash attack not only have a lot of ending lag, but they hardly cover any range. A patient player would force Jigglypuff to approach, severely limiting her approach options. However, once she's in your face, she can be a monster by constantly weaving in and out with fairs and nairs, unless you have swords, or a character that has more range to space her out with tilts, aerials, etc. She can apply offstage pressure with her bairs, thanks to her excellent floatiness and multiple jumps. Again, she can recover safely back on stage when hanging from the ledge. However it's useless against characters his real good recover in terms of distance. She is a character that can win a local, but not really a character that you would want to take at a national tournament. Because she has excellent airspThe furthest you can go with her is getting out of pools and most likely you'll go 0-2 or 1-2 in bracket. Thanks to her floatiness, she can give some characters that rely on the dthrow combos a hard time, but her light weight is what makes up for her excellent floatiness to escape combos earlier than most of the cast. Due to all of the weaknesses I mentioned, she would definitely land on the low-high of the tier list.

Last edited:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247

Feel free to question it. The numbers are based on the combined experience of Dath and I. Anyone who hasn't played either of us quite frankly doesn't know what proper Robin play looks like. There are no Robins on our level in terms of matchup knowledge.

The Fox matchup is a matter of a few key tools. Fox (and Falco) both get destroyed by Wind Jab if they ever get touched at close range. Minimum of 20 damage. Their weight/fallspeed combo means D-throw Jab works all the way up to like 65, after that they just die to checkmate on the next grab anyway. (Grab at ~85) They're also both very susceptible to falling Uair combos and longer fair strings than we get on some characters. Robin also has strong options to edge-guard both, as you can intercept Side-B with Elthunder or Arcthunder. If they respect it and go low, Elwind is free harassment as long as you hit them before the move begins traveling (clanks at that point IIRC).

I could see Fox potentially being 45-55 on average, given the stages you could reasonable expect to end up on in a set. (This heavily depends on starter list) Robin wins on small stages (BF, SV, Lylat), Fox wins on larger ones (FD, Duck Hunt). I'm unsure who wins on T&C. Blast-zones might be enough to offset the runaway issue.

Falco is just worse than Fox in every conceivable way in the match-up other than the ability to throw his reflector. Reflector isn't that relevant in the match-up anyway, if you use it in close range you either need a hard read or you're getting punished hard for it. If you use it at a safe distance, we've got time to shield anything before it hits us on the reflect. (Top level Robin uses Thoron extremely rarely)

I should, however, clarify on my wording. When I said 'I think Robin is high tier' I should have been more specific in that I meant the low end of high tier. Like, the area where people would argue if it's lower high or upper mid. I think she is about as strong as Ike and Wario.

CHOMPY CHOMPY : Ness and Lucas don't shut Robin down at all, their absorption tools suck. If they try to camp Robin she just charges Arcthunder for free, absorbing it is negligible (Only gets the initial 5-6% hit)

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Jigglypuff loses to "roll backward" more than almost any character. With the slowest fall speed, abysmal run speed, and pretty lackluster frame data in general, it's really hard to mix people up into a grab, and Jigglypuff has very few tools to threaten shields, either. Multiple options are punishable on hit at low percents, even on key pokes like F-Air and Dash Attack. While she can recover a great distance, her aerials lack disjoints and a whiffed Forward-B gets you punished easily, so she can struggle to get her feet back on the stage.

I mained her for the first few months of the game's lifespan and pushed her pretty hard, but her limitations started to show REALLY quickly. Safe pokes are limited to things like Jabs and retreating aerials, none of which work against an opponent moving any distance backward.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Notes: I am abstaining from ranking the Miis as I feel the current commonly accepted rules are wildly unfair to Mii players, and do not have enough information on 1111/Default Gunner/Sword especially to rank them appropriately. #FreeMii
Politics and ruleset issues aside, I agree that this is impossible, at least for me personally.

In the time this game has been out, in the several thousand games against hundreds of opponents at several dozen events and smashfests, I have never once played against a 1111 Mii. I've never seen a 1111 Mii. Not once.

If tourneys allow Miis to select any special moves, no one will ever use a 1111 Mii.

If tourneys require Miis to select 1111, no one will ever use a 1111 Mii.

I have zero expectation of ever playing against one, as I have no idea why anyone would deliberately choose to play such a transparently bad character. (Any of the 3) Characters like Jigglypuff and Zelda are arguably just as bad or worse, but they clearly have a unique gameplay niche carved out. Maybe one of the 1111 Miis have a more subtle niche of their own, but who cares? We're never going to see it regardless!

For the data I have, you might as well be asking me to tier Ice Climbers.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
I agree with a lot of you said... Sonic's m/u spread does indeed include a lot of evenish matchups (imo most are all slight advantages for sonic... 55/45 kind of thing, . I also agree that ZSS and fox beat sonic. However I've been recently thinking sonic might have an advantage over rosa. Sonic can't gimp luma very well, but often times it seems like sonic can bypass luma with relative ease and deal with the heart of the problem directly. I understand the theory behind rosa>sonic, but I am skeptical of it to say the least. I would really like to know why yoshi and cloud beat sonic though, especially cloud (sonic seems to have very good tools to end cloud's life off stage, and cloud suffers from similar things marth did vs sonic in brawl imo).

I too question many of those robin m/us :p
:4sonic:'s biggest weakness is landing. All the characters I said are masters at trapping landings and possibly heavy (Killing isn't amazingly easy). It's also much harder to bypass luma then you think. If luma is already jabbing then it flat out beats spindash. She's susceptible to being springed constantly, but landing and getting through luma is annoying.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
20: Sheik, ZSS
19: Pikachu, Fox, Mario, Sonic, Cloud, Ryu,
18: Meta Knight, Villager, Diddy Kong, Rosalina, Ness
17: Bowser, DK, Luigi, Toon Link,
16: Peach, Captain Falcon, Ike, Yoshi, Falco, Dark Pit, Pit
15: ROB, Greninja, Kirby, Lucas, Mii Brawler, Marth, Lucina, Olimar, Pac-Man, Wario
14: Mega Man, Mewtwo, Little Mac, Bowser Jr., Mr. Game & Watch, Duck Hunt
13: Shulk, Link, Jigglypuff, Roy, Mii Gunner, Dr. Mario
12: King Dedede, Robin, Wii Fit Trainer, Charizard, Mii Swordfighter
11: Palutena, Samus, Zelda, Ganondorf
How in the seven hells do you have Robin THREE TIERS BELOW LUCINA?

Are you even playing the same game?

CHOMPY

NNID
Chompy621
Not only that, how does he have Falco at tier 16?

Am I missing something besides Nairo making Falco look good at that one weekly?

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
He's associated with Keitaro, right? I'm pretty sure Keitaro plays Falco.

There are so many characters in this game that people are bound to have widely varying info on each character due to not playing them often and/or at a high level. After all, not many of you put Wario very high.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
I can confirm that Olimar is in a state of almost complete disuse in NYC. Our only players are Dabuz, who apparently dropped him after the blockstun update, and ProfessorMGW who, from what I can tell, doesn't travel outside of the Bronx. Aside from that, I do not seem to recall ANY of our players in NYC using Olimar, so he's definitely not a character who's been making waves.

I'd go so far to say that he's a rarer character than Wii Fit Trainer in these parts, and that's saying something lol

That said, I still placed Olimar rather high on my list, so yeah.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Multiple options are punishable on hit at low percents, even on key pokes like F-Air and Dash Attack.
I feel like this is one of the biggest reasons that Jigglypuff is held back big time in this game. :/

At low percents, many of her moves result in either trades or punishes since they have very low knockback. I find that it's not until the opponent is around roughly 40% that Jigglypuff can begin effectively using his (YES MINE IS A BOY) full moveset with at least a bit less risk of getting punished. But what REALLY sucks about that is if the opponent is at 40%, Jigglypuff has taken on a decent amount of damage, which just leads him to being closer to KO percents than his opponent.

If Jigglypuff's aerials or dash attack had just a bit more knockback at base percents, he'd be a much better character. Even though in most situations shield>Jigglypuff. :(

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I'm a little confused about Ness. Why do people think he is around Diddy/Pikachu area instead of say, Peach/Wario/DK?

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
I still see several Ness mains pulling decent to good results with him in several regions. I'm probably a little biased because one of the best players in my country uses him, but Ness has had players like Shaky, FOW and NAKAT since early on and has more high level mains than many other characters can boast. He also wasn't nerfed at all, although matchups like Rosalina and Sheik are definitely hard (how many characters have an easy time with those two though?).

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I'm in the same boat as Marc. I've seen more results for Ness than Peach, Wario, and DK. I can see Ness falling as the tier list continues to evolve, though, as I definitely don't see as many high placing Nesses as I used to.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
He benefits a good deal from the game engine. He's in the second highest tier of horizontal aerial mobility ("drifting"), his roll is obnoxious, his Dash Grab is very rewarding and obnoxious, and he can keep himself quite safe with multiple spacing tools. Lots of options are safe on shield, lots of options KO easily without putting him at significant risk, loads of hitboxes linger.

Last edited:

CHOMPY

NNID
Chompy621
Players have figured out that they should be jumping around to space themselves with safe aerials to avoid getting grabbed. Throwing out jabs can shut them down when they are trying to grab. If you did a normal getup or getup attack, your basically asking to get bthrow, and players are starting to realize that by using their options to avoid getting grabbed.

If you respect Ness's aerials, you should do fine and don't get hasty if Ness tries to space you out with his rising/falling aerials.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Thanks for the responses, appreciate it.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Genesis has finished and I'm guessing this thing will likely close soon. The results will certainly be interesting.

Be sure to double check your lists and make any proper adjustments that you feel may be needed.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I will update my tabulations later tonight, hopefully, after giving people time to process Genesis and other recent events.

CHOMPY

NNID
Chompy621
Between the stuff that Thinkaman has pointed out and Genesis, I have made changes to my list.

Last edited:

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I'm not really ecstatic about my list at all and hope this gets pushed back as far as it can :)

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I've already been ninja editing mine quite a few times.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I think there's a necessity for biting the bullet and getting something out there, as much as I would take another few months in a heartbeat to release one.

In the Brawl era tier list projects were run with different systems to a roughly 6 month schedule.
We could, after nutting out the format if required, attempt a faster schedule while maintaining said format [people can keep their lists and update as they see fit]. We can try to promote us discussing the entire cast/areas of contention with a focus, probably using our tallied data (like Thinkaman has done to BULLY :mad:) as part of the [ongoing] project.

How we market our tier list will be important and we'll need to be asserting the opposite of an intention for perfection. I know we can't all feel confident in most of the cast and the stakes (due to the larger community) are higher than the first Brawl tier list despite that being horrendously off and having far swaying opinions from various voters of the time (e.g. Link and Zelda in upper mid tier) as well.
We're the biggest and likely to be the most trust worthy producer of any sort of tier list we release, if the goal is about promotion and enticing community-wide discussion, we could afford to worry less.

Last edited:

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
We are looking into a release schedule at the moment, so people should be ready for finalizing their votes at this point. I could see it go for another week, but that's about it. We have a pretty solid amount of votes, people have been prodded and Genesis has ended, there's no real reason to wait much longer.

M@v

Subarashii!
I say give it until the end of the week so those who attended Genesis can adjust their lists if needbe.

Also, don't know if I should adjust my voting based on the results or what I feel is potential. Big example: Mario has more solid results, but I've been feeling MK has greater potential down the road X_x

Last edited:
Top Bottom