• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

4/16/11 CPR2: Resuscitating Da Metagame ft GDX/Trump/Ryder/Kyon/Dtorr/2djeff & DDD^_^

Gindler

Smash Champion
K, and remember...you're NOT gallax =p

I'll be home at 8:30ish, might have to wake me up. Unless i go to the florida mall early

_Dice

Smash Ace
Awesome i want to play some mvc3 with D-Torr. i hope you go mike-not-gallax so i can come. :) what time would you be picking me up IF you did go.

Toneh

Smash Lord
actually im at tonehs right now. if u want i can get you on my way back home so that way we'd wake up and head out. sound good?

lookin at u dice

_Dice

Smash Ace
D-torr we going to play marvel alot tomorrow. Thanks to Mike for offering a ride.

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
Ssf4 is better then mvc3 imo.. mvc2 ****s on mvc3 but ill play alittle tomorrow
No one said it wasn't except maybe Dice.

I just don't like how playing lame in SSFIV dominates. Once AE got announced back last fall, I stopped caring for SSFIV, since AE is catering the game towards agressive/offensive play. The layoff didn't really hurt me. I still play the same, if not better then I did when I was playing more frequently.

_Dice

Smash Ace
SSF4 is so complex and interesting to learn about, but when you get down to playing it you feel so bored. which is why i think it's a bad game. pretty good sport and spectator event, the game is *** though.

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
I only have fun in SSFIV when I get exposed with pure technical ability by my opponent. I like being opened up because it shows that my defense/blocking is lacking. When I get lamed, the only thing I get out of it is lost time.

_Dice

Smash Ace
For any game to be competitive enough to be sport there has to be a defenders advantage, however in order to be entertaining there must be incentive to be the agressor, traditional sports tend to do this by limiting the Ability to score on defense.

while video games tend to do this by providing a win condition that requires aggression, however a generic win condition provides no middle ground, that is it's binomial, you are either winning or losing, which leads to defensive standoffs, which are boring and uneventful.

This can be presented as a spectrum with defensive standoff, hyper competitive, boring on one side, and aggression only, non competitive, boring on the other side. this can explain various reasonings behind both starcraft commmunity and the smash community.

for instance, Super smash brothers with items is on the right side of the spectrum, with the agression, non competitive side. removing items and implementing a ruleset are a desire to set a defenders advantage, as items are no longer randomly appearing, rewarding constant movement and attacks, as well as giving a distinct advantage to maintaining a lead apart from at the very end. brawl moved to the other side of the spectrum, much closer to the left than before. however melee took a spot closer to the sweet spot, in the middle, by allowing combos and agression to be rewarded, while still mandating a defensive posture. this created a good sport. in starcraft, Brood War was roughly placed in the dead center, a near perfect balance of agression and defense, exciting enough to watch because of defensive advantage AND a what will happen next attitude towards aggression, while starcraft 2 tended a little more to the right side, rewarding agression more than defense, however the game is still evolving and this can change.

_Dice

Smash Ace
It's just a bit of theory on sport. the whole topic of exactly what humans can become competitive in and what is entertaining is very interesting, and it's the reason that certain sports have flourished while others die off irregardless of monetary input.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
i plan to play alot of SSFIV at this with my black peeps jeff and david

and solomon if he comes

AE means my viper wont have to get camped as much in all of her worst matchups

also plan to do alot more friendlies than i did last time, which was like none lol

2-DJeff

Smash Master
watch you win what? mvc3? a terrible game? thats probably going to die when AE comes out (maybe)

o and dtorr imma play yun or yang since yall complaining so much

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Are you guys going to barfights next week to watch me win???

You *****'s about your ssf4 characters. I play Makoto. Thank god AE is coming.
you get props for makoto. shes fun but somehow they made her so bad

im just happy AE is coming out cause i can style or get styled on with viper now in all matchups...instead of this sumo ******* wrecking my ****

although i bad at super, I'll do mad friendlies at barfights to get better. Jebailey was even talking bout dropping mvc3 for MK9 lol. he'll probably have a setup at barfights to try out, or at least he better :glare:

Top Bottom