• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

35 characters,would you be satisfied?(Also,a theory of development progress)

As we all know,Masahiro Sakurai has a goal of aiming for a maximum of 40 characters.But current speculation says otherwise,as since the launch of the new trailer,people have been beggining to doubt the development progress.That being said,would you be satisfied if we recieve 35 characters?As i can see it,a simple analysis can slightly pre-determin the status of the games development,and shows possibilities that we may have more characters in our starting line up than we assume.

Here are the confirmed characters:

Mario
Link
Kirby
Pikachu
MetaKnight
Pit
Zero Suit Samus
Wario
Snake
Fox.

So far 10 confirmations.Now here are the possible Semi-confirmations according to sakurai and the recent trailer:

Samus(with suit)
Yoshi

So that is 12 characters(possibly).Now as for the talk of the original 12,here is what the list could possibly be in addition with the original 12.

Mario
Luigi
DK
Link
Samus
Captain Falcon
Ness
Yoshi
Kirby
Fox
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Pit
MetaKnight
Wario
Zero Suit Samus
Snake

That would make a total of 17 characters.Now if they keep some of the melee contenders,we could have a possible of list of(Note:I mark the characters based on there populas):

Mario
Luigi
DK
Link
Samus
Captain Falcon
Ness
Yoshi
Kirby
Fox
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Pit
MetaKnight
Wario
Zero Suit Samus
Snake
Marth(Has gained american and japanese popularity)
Peach(Plays an important in Mario games)
Bowser(Plays another important in Mario games)
Zelda/Sheik(Both Popular characters,and play important rolls,it's just alittle iffy with sheik)
Falco
Ganondorf

This makes a possibility of 22 characters(Because of sheik).Now,with the priority of decloning characters,it seems that Falco and Ganondorf are on high priority,so that possibility can add a possibility of 24 characters.Now as for the rest...the new characters:

???
???
???
???
???
???
???
???
???
???
???

The other 11 can be new characters,and that will give a grand total of 35 characters.I think with a line up like this,it would be enough to keep us satisfied.Even if we don't hit 40 characters,35 is good and plenty.Now the only problems that we encounter is the fact that the characters must be updated,and the clones need to be revamped.But updating them isn't as much as a difficult task as it may sound,due to the fact that the character movesets are still present.

I think this is good enough to satisfy both us and the game developers.Comments are appreciated.And tell me if you feel that anything is wrong.Thanks in advance.

-Eternal phoenix Fire

*edit*Ok,i added Ganondorf and Falco.=)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
With 11 new characters I'd deffinatly be satisfied! Also I think you should add Ganon and Falco to the total list of characters, because they indeed have very high priority. This list probarly took you some time to make so I'll +rep you for this. :)

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Hmm... With 11 my picks would be...

Sonic
Geno
Diddy
Krystal
Wolf
Dedede
Ike

annnnndddd..... A Cucko!!!

Nah. With the rest I'd rather be suprised. (may be forgetting someone.)

With 11 new characters I'd deffinatly be satisfied! Also I think you should add Ganon and Falco to the total list of characters, because they indeed have very high priority. This list probarly took you some time to make so I'll +rep you for this. :)
Ok,i added them,and thanks.=)

I really do think 35 is a very reasonable amount,and this way,it extremely long working hours wouldn't become a requierment,for we must take the game designers into consideration as well.

Thanks for the comments.;)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Now that I think of it, 11 characters IS pretty much! It was only logical that there where alot of characters added to Melee from Smash 64 because there where still SOOO much more character possibilities. Pretty much every deserving character besides MetaKnight, Pit, Wario, Diddy Kong and King DeDeDe where in there.

So yeah, I'd be really satisfied with 11 new characters. Ohhh and btw, I can't rep you yet Eternal phoenix fire... But don't worry, you'll get it later. ^^

Now that I think of it, 11 characters IS pretty much! It was only logical that there where alot of characters added to Melee from Smash 64 because there where still SOOO much more character possibilities. Pretty much every deserving character besides MetaKnight, Pit, Wario, Diddy Kong and King DeDeDe where in there.

So yeah, I'd be really satisfied with 11 new characters. Ohhh and btw, I can't rep you yet Eternal phoenix fire... But don't worry, you'll get it later. ^^
Ahh,don't worry about it,thanks anyway.The only thing that troubled me was that i didn't add the Ice Climbers...hmm.

I really wonder if they will make it back?

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
I don't see why not. True they weren't that popular before Melee but they are original, can be fun to play as, and add nostalgia for some.

Then again Sakurai said he wanted other duos.. would this be enough to cut them completely?

JPW

Smash Ace
11 newbies would make picks a lot scarier but also could make picks more realistic. This is why cuts are being made.

I think 36 is a good number for the roster. It sounds more rigid and estimate then 35., but when does sounding numbers have to do with anything.

But yeah 11 newbies does make the roster alot more easier to pick out.

my 11 newbies(including already announced):

Metaknight
Zamus
Pit
Wario
Snake
Sonic
Megaman
Diddy Kong
Krystal
King Deedee
Geno(not 3rd party pick. Square gives Geno to Ninty, on request Ninty gives the shot for another Super Mario RPG)

nux23

Smash Ace
Ok,i added them,and thanks.=)

I really do think 35 is a very reasonable amount,and this way,it extremely long working hours wouldn't become a requierment,for we must take the game designers into consideration as well.

Thanks for the comments.;)
u seem suspicious, are you one of them?

:laugh: :laugh:

Nietendodude

Smash Ace
I hope these eleven get in:

King Dedede
Sonic
Baby Mario and Luigi (First they can come from yoshi story fanchise and not Mario. Second they can make a new original moveset from Mario and Luigi Panters in time. Thrid I think they are better than the ice climbers)
Bowser Jr.
Ridley
Diddy Kong
Stafy
Lucario
Geno
Skull Kid
Krystal

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
I hope that the ice climbers return =(
I would rather have the ice climbers than diddy kong or dixie

I hope these character make it in the game:

DK jr (yeah the only DK character no one cares about besides me)
Skull kid
Megaman
Baby bowser
King deedee

Character that I hope return:

Ice climber
MR Game & watch
Roy
Marth
Ganon

6th Sense

Smash Lord
I hope that the ice climbers return =(
I would rather have the ice climbers than diddy kong or dixie

I hope these character make it in the game:

DK jr (yeah the only DK character no one cares about besides me)
Skull kid
Megaman
Baby bowser
King deedee

Character that I hope return:

Ice climber
MR Game & watch
Roy
Marth
Ganon
IC's, Marth & Ganon only!!! 4get G&W &Roy well Roy is okayy...no waste of a character he sukks

LostAddict

Smash Apprentice
I'd be satisfied as long as there were no clones, or only like one clone. If they pulled another Melee though, and six ofthe 35 ended up being clones, I can't say I would be happy. But, I have a feeling there will be none because of all the things Sakurai has said (such as characters not returning, people being reworked etc.)

Miller

Smash Lord
Hell yea 35 is enough, at the first trailer I was so excited, and now, Im more then happy, 35 is enough.

Oh and one more thing, if developers didnt want us to take that long for a game why is LoZ:TP over 70 hours of gameplay

JesterBox

Smash Ace
Id say like 45ish charecters I want anybody in my banner...but now I want skullkid more that B Jr.

Jossy

Smash Apprentice
i'd be more satisfied if there werent 3rd party characters, with the exception of Megaman, because of all those games that came out on the nintendo and napcom was a main producer for the NES at the time...

what about stages?

i believe every character deserves his own stage (melee: ganon, mewtwo, pichu... yea they had their own stages, but it was not their theme...)

and seeing that there is even a metaknight, snake and a pit stage, we could end up getting 50 stages !! WOOT !!!
(because the hidden characters in melee didnt always get their own stage, but we know that snake is a hidden char and will get his own stage f.e.)

^^
dont flame and take all this of proof
im just saying what im seein

burrito

Smash Lord
We do know that regular Samus is returning. In Zamus's profile Sakurai says "And don't worry—you'll still be able to play as standard Samus, too."

I'm hoping that the Ice Climbers and Mr. Game&Watch stay, but I'm not sure if they will. I think Young Link will become cel-shaded Link and get his own set of moves. Thay are probably gat rid of Sheik and give Zelda a more Twilight Princess related moveset with a sword. I still think Mewtwo will stay, but hopefully be made a lot better.

You know, I think Brawl will be able to pull off 40 characters. They have a couple of advantages that they didn't have last time around. There still are a lot of characters that I would like to see in Brawl. This is my envisioned list:

Mario
Luigi
Bowser
Peach
Yoshi
Donkey Kong
Captain Falcon
Fox
Ness(Maybe Lucas)
Ice Climbers
Kirby
Samus
Zelda (without Sheik)
Link
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Mr.Game&Watch
Marth

Pit
Meta-knight
Zamus
Wario
snake

Gannondorf
Falco or Wolf?
Cel-Shaded Link
another Fire Emblem character (with a different type of weapon)
3rd party character (probably Sonic)
3rd party character (Megaman? Geno?)
Another Pokemon
Captain Olimar
Little Mac
Krystal
Diddy Kong
Andy (from Advance wars)
Ridley?
Tom Nook?
King Dedede?
Vaati? Mach Rider? Balloon fighter? Guy from project hammer? Stafy?

Iggy K

Smash Ace
11 new characters is enough for me, though 11 new characters
Dedede, Diddy, Krystal, Ridley, A Pokemon, Claus, Toad, Sonic, Mega Man, Little Mac/Stafy/Isaac, Ike and keeping the IC's is only just one more character.

DevilRoseFoxMcCloud

Smash Cadet
My eleven:
1. Wolf O' Donell
2. Krystal
3. Hector
4. Sonic
5. Lucario
6. Red
7. Leon S. Kennedy
8. Geno
9. Prince
10. Marche
11. Toad

STIK

Smash Cadet
My 11 are:
1.Lyn
2.Krystal
3.Wolf
4.Leon S. Kennedy
5.Megaman
6.Zero
7.Lord Saddler
8.Baby Mario and Luigi
9.Toad
10.Diddy Kong
11.Boo

The way i see it,i believe i rather have 35 good characters,rather than 40+ ok characters.I put the quality over the quantity.:)

*edit*Also,is it me,or does it feel as if Snakes belongs to smash bros. after seeing him in the trailer.It makes me feel as if we don't need anymore 3rd party characters,and i think i would be more happy if he was the only one.

EnFerris

Smash Journeyman
I came up with a tidy list of 35 characters (although I eliminated Falco, and count bothe Zelda/Sheik and Samus/Zero-Suit Samus as one character each). Thirty Five was reall a stretch, too. I would be fine with thirty. There are some great characters I might miss, but thirty is a nice, round number.

Heck, so's 25, if we get rid of Peach, C. Falcoln, and Jigglypuff.

icymatt

Smash Lord
Heck, so's 25, if we get rid of Peach, C. Falcoln, and Jigglypuff.
Yeah, but we'd have to be absolutely insane to do that.

35 is about the minimum number of characters for Brawl to really be considered a satisfactory sequel.

.22%

Smash Apprentice
it'd be awsome if you had to scrol through like 5 pages of charaters. but i'd be satisfied with 35.

Yeah, but we'd have to be absolutely insane to do that.

35 is about the minimum number of characters for Brawl to really be considered a satisfactory sequel.
Yes,but also consider stages,items,specials etc..If there is 35,we can have very well developed characters,good stages,and the brawl specials will be good too.Not that i still think that we can't have 40 characters,i just though we could be happy even though they didn't push the envelope(Even though they are doing that now).:laugh:

SAMaine

Smash Journeyman
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
DK
Yoshi
Wario
Link
Zelda/Sheik
Ganondorf
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Fox
Falco
Marth
Samus
Zero Suit Samus
Kirby
MetaKnight
Captain Falcon
Ness
Ice Climbers
Mr. Game & Watch
Pit
Snake

That's 26 characters... Let's see we need 9 more.

1. Ike (Marth needs a partner, and Ike is **** popular and in the US also!)
2. Sigurd (Fire Emblem is Tier 2, and no one likes Roy, but everyone loves Ike and Sigurd)
3. King Dedede (Number 1 first-party character on the list)
4. Ridley (Metroid's a big player now. Ridley is the main enemy)
5. Krystal (Why not? Fox was apparently popular enough to get a showing like Snake)
6. Diddy Kong (Toad just won't work, plus Donkey Kong Country is popular enough to appear on the Virtual Console in Japan)
7. Lolo (Though hell or highwater, Sakurai is putting him in the game)
8. Sonic (Everyone want him in Brawl, except maybe SEGA!)
9. A TBA third-party character (It's between Mega Man, Simon Belmont, Bomberman, Bonk, Rayman, the Prince, or Geno...)

My idea for the complete List for Brawl (* means a character who must be unlocked):
Mario
*Luigi
Peach
Bowser
DK
*Diddy Kong
Yoshi
Wario
Link
Zelda/Sheik
*Ganondorf
Kirby
Metaknight
*King Dedede
Samus
Zero Suit Samus
*Ridley
Pikachu
*Jigglypuff
*Mewtwo
Fox
*Krystal
*Falco
Marth
*Sigurd
*Ike
Captain Falcon
Ness
Ice Climbers
Mr. Game & Watch
Pit
*Lolo
Snake
*TBA Third-Party Fighter
*Sonic (unlocked last)

Of this list, only Luigi and Falco would be considered 'clones' in the vague sense.

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
Picks
And BTW I think Falco will go.
1. Krystal
2. Wolf
3. Lyn or Eirika(Whichever is better)
4. Hector
5. Ike(Maybe just replace Marth with him, I won't cry about losing my main)
6. Ephraim
7. Diddy Kong
8. 1 new pokemon
9. Sonic
10. Megaman
11. Bomberman

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Frankly, I'd be happy with 15 balanced, non-clone characters instead of 50 characters where you can only expect to win a tournament with 3 of them.

Chuckles

Smash Apprentice
Id say like 45ish charecters I want anybody in my banner...but now I want skullkid more that B Jr.
I hope they add characters that really fight and i hope they dont add characters just to take up space. 35-40 would be good as long as they are Original and not a clone with anyone.

Some of my picks.

1. Wolf
2. Sonic
3. Ike
4. a new POkemon(havn't narrowed it down yet)

Top Bottom