• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

35 characters,would you be satisfied?(Also,a theory of development progress)

EnFerris

Smash Journeyman
Frankly, I'd be happy with 15 balanced, non-clone characters instead of 50 characters where you can only expect to win a tournament with 3 of them.
I came up with that list, too. I can be quite ruthless. I say we should all get moreso when defining 'All-stars.'

Bowser jr? Not an all star. Skul Kid? ALMOST an all-star. Bring him back for one or two more games, and you hae a winner.

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
Thirty-five characters is what I shot for from the beggining.

The whole cast from Melee minus Roy, Doc, Pichu, and Y. Link would make 21(22) characters. I see no reason to remove anyone with an original moveset, or Ganondorf and Falco.

Add in the five new ones (Meta, Pit, Snake, Zamus, Wario) and we're at 26(27).

If he went for the thirty-five (using my formula), there would be another nine characters left as a secret. Obviously, one of them will be Sonic, so that leaves us with eight unknown characters.

Specs

Smash Cadet
Hmm... With 11 my picks would be...
annnnndddd..... A Cucko!!!
Completely off topic...probably. Don't feel like reding the whole thread. But a Cuckoo would be awesome as an item. You pick it up, and you like, hover jump with it...but that's not it's main purpose...

A cuckoo can only take so much abuse before it snaps, after all...
http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=52
...yeah, that about covers it.

EDIT
Orite, a list of characters:
-G-Red (Gotcha Force) or Ray 01 (Custom Robo)
-Alex & Ryan (The guys from River City Ransom)
-Viewtiful Joe (Henshin-a-go-go!)
-Jill Dozer (Drill Dozer is awesomesex)
-Marina Liteyears (Mischief Makers is desu awesomesex)
-Krystal (furry awesomesex)
-Sonic (3rd party nessisecity)
-Megaman (See above)

....um...tapped out on ideas. Only listed 8. A lot of Nintendo games could also be classified under another company.

haiablkdragon

Smash Rookie
Houghton, the beautiful winter wonderland
I look at it this way,

This is Nintendo. Famous for having few but high quality games. They don't pump out and release a lot of games like PS2 does nor do they try to make everything look super high quality like X-box does. They go for good gameplay and fairly good graphics.

This being said, I would be surprised if, when the game does come out, that they would rather pop in fourty characters to meet a quota rather than only have say 35 characters, each with their own movesets and abilities.

That being said I would love to see sonic in there myself. I don't have a full list but sonic or tails would be nice. Megaman too.

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
I would be fine with 35 characters so long as enough existing characters got taken out to make room. Taking the current 26 and taking out Doc/Pichu/Roy/Y. Link/G&W gives you 21, please note that those aren't the characters I want out, just the ones that I believe are likely to get taken out. Then consider how much Zero Suit Samus appears to fight like Shiek, how broken Sheik was, and that they will likely use the Twilight Princess version of Zelda who doesn't turn into Sheik, and you will likely come to the conclusion that I did that Zero Suit Samus will replace Sheik. Add in the confirmed new characters and you get 25(unless I missed someone). That would leave 10 more slots. Plenty to give us enough new characters.

However, I would still expect them to meet if not exceed the planned 40. Keep in mind that Melee had the clones added in at the last second to fill the roster. It would be easy to assume that the same would be done in Brawl. They may give us 35 good characters, plus 5 more rushed characters who are either clones, or broken due to lack of time to balance them. So I am pretty sure that they will have no trouble meeting the number that they want, but I am questioning weither I would want them to or not.

bijoukaiba

Smash Journeyman
If I had to choose 11 newcomers, I'd go for:

1. Samurai Goroh (I will definitely make him one of my mains if he gets into Brawl!)
2. Diddy Kong
3. Krystal
4. Wolf
5. King DeDeDe
6. Captain Olimar (see comments on Samurai Goroh)
7. Geno (3rd party)
8. Lyn
9. Poo (Earthbound)
10. Megaman (3rd party)
11. Ridley (I can't believe I almost forgot him!!)

Ditch Doc, Pichu, and Young Link. Luigify Ganondorf, Falco, and Roy (yes, I want to keep Roy!)

As long as Marth returns, I'll be a happy smasher. :)

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
11 shouldn't be insanely hard to create, in fact, probably the most appropiate number. This is because there were...8 originals in Melee:
zelda
sheik
IC
peach
bowser
marth
mewtwo
G&W

Melee was rushed, so 8 characters was pretty good. and if they had just a bit more times, that number would be 9 [ganondorf]. Considering Melee was rushed and produced 9 originals, Smash Labs with buttloads of time and resources more than Melee should be able to produce anywhere from 11-15, ratio of time to number of characters from Melee.

Also, DeDeDe isn't gauranteed, or even close, because of MK's existence. If Sakurai REALLY wanted DeDeDe in, he would have put him in BEFORE MK. If he puts him in too, that's some serious dedication and supoort, [too much maybe?] for one series to increase it's roster representation by 200%. TWO HUNDRED PERCENT.

IC's should be coming back, no reason to replace them. Just improve Nana's AI, which Sakurai would do anyway to any other duo team. stupid Rare taking Banjo-Kazooie......

SAMaine

Smash Journeyman
11 shouldn't be insanely hard to create, in fact, probably the most appropiate number. This is because there were...8 originals in Melee:
zelda
sheik
IC
peach
bowser
marth
mewtwo
G&W

Melee was rushed, so 8 characters was pretty good. and if they had just a bit more times, that number would be 9 [ganondorf]. Considering Melee was rushed and produced 9 originals, Smash Labs with buttloads of time and resources more than Melee should be able to produce anywhere from 11-15, ratio of time to number of characters from Melee.

Also, DeDeDe isn't gauranteed, or even close, because of MK's existence. If Sakurai REALLY wanted DeDeDe in, he would have put him in BEFORE MK. If he puts him in too, that's some serious dedication and supoort, [too much maybe?] for one series to increase it's roster representation by 200%. TWO HUNDRED PERCENT.

IC's should be coming back, no reason to replace them. Just improve Nana's AI, which Sakurai would do anyway to any other duo team. stupid Rare taking Banjo-Kazooie......
Actually, Metaknight was higher on the 'Get Him in' list then Dedede... In fact I think it was Wario, Metaknight, Pit, THEN Dedede exactly.

GenG

Smash Lord
Who knows? Maybe he already got the idea of how MK would play, or maybe he just put MK in for the dramatic Halberd thing in the trailer.

Kirby is a classic yet popular franchise which always has been underrepped (just like DK), and Dedede completes the trio: The good, the neutral and the bad. Just like Zelda. Dedede is more important and recurring that MK, without a shadow of doubt. And well, those character's "father" is working in the game, I think this time he won't restrain himself of adding his own characters in the possible last game he will made for Nintendo.

SAMaine

Smash Journeyman
I would be fine with 35 characters so long as enough existing characters got taken out to make room. Taking the current 26 and taking out Doc/Pichu/Roy/Y. Link/G&W gives you 21, please note that those aren't the characters I want out, just the ones that I believe are likely to get taken out. Then consider how much Zero Suit Samus appears to fight like Shiek, how broken Sheik was, and that they will likely use the Twilight Princess version of Zelda who doesn't turn into Sheik, and you will likely come to the conclusion that I did that Zero Suit Samus will replace Sheik. Add in the confirmed new characters and you get 25(unless I missed someone). That would leave 10 more slots. Plenty to give us enough new characters.

However, I would still expect them to meet if not exceed the planned 40. Keep in mind that Melee had the clones added in at the last second to fill the roster. It would be easy to assume that the same would be done in Brawl. They may give us 35 good characters, plus 5 more rushed characters who are either clones, or broken due to lack of time to balance them. So I am pretty sure that they will have no trouble meeting the number that they want, but I am questioning weither I would want them to or not.
As far as adding 5 clones to the good 35, my choices would be...

Young Link (Clone from Melee)
Pichu (Clone from Melee)
Roy (Clone from Melee)
Dr. Mario (Clone from Melee)
Wolf (As a clone of Fox and to make Fire Emblem and Starfox equal again)

I'd expect if Sakurai has to 'clone,' he will merely pull out the clones from Melee over making a new clone, as they WERE in a previous Smash game.

wow,people are really responding well to this.

ALSO SOME WHAT CRAZY NEWS I FOUND OUT THE OTHER DAY!!!(Note:I don't know if this is accurate,but it came from a Nintendo official,so it could be true)

A friend of mine who is working for Nintendo of America(He is the sales marketting,and product distribution) Just called me a day ago and gave me some intresting news.He said allong with some of the games in the summer line up,all of the sudden they got a somewhat accurate release date for brawl:

The games that were slated for release date of 6/1/07 are:

Project H.A.M.M.E.R
Metroid Prime 3 corruption
SD Gundam G break
Sadness
Super Smash Bros. brawl

And strange enough,a day later,the pricess have been updated to EB and Gamestop,i even called my local gamestop about it,and they said that was the sales date,but not taking reservations.So i think those are assumed releases.

I believe that it is fake.Because all of these games have the same date.And i really don't know the source of where he got the information,perhaps EB games themselves.=/

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
That's a realistic optimisitic number EpF. Although 12/07 is also realistic, just pessimisitc.

Thinking about it now, it's only been a little over 1 year of development, and the fact that they had little more to the game than what they had in the original trailer in May of '06, that would mean they had just over a year of HEAVY development done.

LATE Summer, early Fall is the earliest realistic I would assume. Not being optimistic or pessimisitc.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
35 looks alright. Personally, I want them to shove new characters down my throat

But as EPF said, Quality over quantity anyday

Conker1

Smash Ace
Returning
----------
1.Mario
2.Luigi
3.DK
4.Link
5.Samus/Zamus
6.Yoshi
7.Kirby
8.Fox
9.Pikachu
10.Ness(Lucas can be an alt. costume)
11.Capt. Falcon
12.Jigglypuff
13.Peach
14.Bowser
15.Ice Climbers
16.Zelda(don't really care if Shiek comes back or not)
17.Marth
18.Mr. G&W
19.Mewtwo(improved moveset)
20.Ganondorf(new moves)
21.Falco(deserves it more than Krystal or Wolf IMO)

New(Confirmed)
------
22.Wario
23.Meta-Knight
24.Pit
25.Snake

New(My 10)
--------------
26.King Dedede
27.Stafy
28.Diddy Kong
29.Jeff or Poo
30.Capt. Olimar
31.Ridley
32.Little Mac
33.Sukapon
34.Baloon Fighter
35.Takamaru

The Rest I want(in no particular order)
-------------------
36.Geno
37.Bowser Jr.
38.Toad
39.Isaac
40.Meowth
41.Ray 01
42.Duster or Flint
43.Samurai Goroh
44.Bomberman
45.Muddy Mole
46.Hector or Ike

W4veMantis

Smash Journeyman
Yeah...I also prefer quality over quantity. I would rather see 35 original characters than 40 characters with clones.
Just my opinion...

W4veMantis

Smash Journeyman
A list of 11...hmm...

1) Wolf FTW!!!
2)Sonic
3)MegaMan
4)Krystal
5)Muddy Mole
6)Deathborn(from F-zero Gx)
7)Toad
8)Tails
9)Bomberman
10)Diddy
11)Geno

This along with the already confirmed characters of course.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
35 would be a great number provided that a good amount of other characters do not return, paving the way for new fighters. Watch this magic trick.

All the clones except for Gannondorf should be cut.

What!

Mario has been shown with some properties of the good ole Doc in the Brawl trailer. So it seems Mario has absorbed his advantages, meaning he is gone. Presumably.

Pichu is a worse version of Pikachu. No need for another electric mouse that is inferior to the other electric mouse, cut it.

Roy was an advertisement. No need for him to return, not even Luigified. This is a new game, there is no need to keep every character, especially the clones.

Young Link is another Link. I am not crazy about duplicates of characters unless there is a morph feature like Zelda had. There are so many other characters, why is Sakurai already duplicating main representatives. I say get rid of Young Link. And no WIndwaker Link. I know he could be interesting, but there are other Zelda characters that deserve a shot into the game first before a duplicate.

Falco. There are other Fox characters that offer unique movesets and ways of fighting. Krystal has a staff and a scientists Andross can offer gadgets and creative ways of dishing out pain, not to mention metal blocks. I think Fox will be a combination of the two anyhow and then nerfed.

G&W should be cut. I love the character and while he does represent history, his main staying power came from his gimmick. He was a suprise; a cooky, deranged surpise. But if he returns he will just be that 2d character. Leave him out, but replace him with anothr outlandish character.

The Ice Climbers. Hmmm.... I say if Olimar took their gimmick of multi character fighting, then they could leave. It would free up their hammer for King Dedede. I like the Ice Climbers design and the idea behind their design, but they seem a little stale.

Sheik looks like she is gone. I say Zamus is the replacement. Too many similarities. And I think that explains why there is a second Samus. I am sure Sakurai doesn't really like putting copies of characters in, but maybe he thought too many people would be disappointed if Sheik left (but didn't want to keep her because he had a new suprise for Zelda). So he slipped in Zamus which is also a girl, also a quick combo altheltic fighter with a whip and a possible projectile AND even a similar suit. Except as a bonus she actually looks like a girl.

That is a proposed cut 8 characters. Meaning 18 will return. Add the 5 from Brawl and you get 23. If 35 is the number to get, then that means 12 new characters on top of the Brawl introductees.

12 new characters.

Based on popular opinion I'd say:

1. Diddy Kong
2. King Dedede
3. FE character of some kind
4. Sonic
5. Megaman
6. Krystal
7. Balloon fighter
8. Captain Olimar
9. Toad
10. Samurai Goroh
11. Zelda villain of some kind
12. Ridley

Conker1

Smash Ace
Conker, your list lacks two very critical people...Sonic and Krystal.

Other than that error, not a half-bad list.
Well while I agree on the part about Sonic, he could replace Takamaru.

As for Krystal, Falco deserves it more than she does. Plus, I played through SFA and never really liked Krystal.

Shadow Calibur

Smash Ace
35 characters, eh? I'm gonna have to de-king-size my roster a bit. I've counted transformation characters as a single character. Helps to think that way.

Mario
Kirby
Link
Pikachu
Samus/ZS Samus
Fox
Yoshi
DK
Jigglypuff
C. Falcon
Luigi
Ness
Peach
Bowser
Ice Climbers
Zelda/Shiek
Marth
Mewtwo
Ganondorf
Mr. Game & Watch
Meta-Knight
Wario
Pit
Snake
Lyndis
Krystal
Diddy Kong
Ridley
Demiru
Sonic
Miyaka
Lucario
Deoxys
Geno
Isaac

Shoot... I think I went overboard.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
Bowserlick, you're usually pretty good with these things, and the majority of what you write is good....

HOWEVER, who deserves a spot to represent legend of zelda other than Link? In fact, Young Link is either just as important or more important to the franchise as Adult Link, so don't give me any of that.
Wind Waker Link could easily be a completely unique character, as different as Marth to Bowser. The "Celda" Young Link is the official new look for him, and those games are pretty much a totally different series than Adult Link.

Let's see, since GC's release in 2001:
Young Link: Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, Minish Cap, Four Swords [2x]
Adult: Twilight Princess, debatably Oracles [2x]

Even pushing it back to OoT:
Adult: Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, debatably Oracles [2x]
Young Link: Same as above plus Majora's Mask

Adult Link is making his appearance in TP, and he hasn't been seen since OoT. To support, bring LoZ into the new generation, and basically keep it alive, was Young Link. So don't give me that "Young Link doesn't deserve a spot."

~~~
The "replacement" theory is bullsh*t. Samus has almost exact same Ftilt and Utilt as C. Falcon in Melee. How many ways can you actually kick? The number is not unlimitied people, so some movements need to be recylced, so deal with it.

~~~
I applaud you for removing Falco. He's mainly wanted back cuz he's good. Krystal can actually be unique, as opposed to Falco. Granted he can too, but Krystal has a real moveset than can be applied and with rare and unprecedented weapon of a staff.

~~~
IC's are NOT stale. How can that be? They're two migits, with hammers, cleats, shoot ice at you, and blast you with high velocity of snow and wind.
AND THEY CLIMB

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Bowserlick, you're usually pretty good with these things, and the majority of what you write is good....

HOWEVER, who deserves a spot to represent legend of zelda other than Link? In fact, Young Link is either just as important or more important to the franchise as Adult Link, so don't give me any of that.
Wind Waker Link could easily be a completely unique character, as different as Marth to Bowser. The "Celda" Young Link is the official new look for him, and those games are pretty much a totally different series than Adult Link.

Let's see, since GC's release in 2001:
Young Link: Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, Minish Cap, Four Swords [2x]
Adult: Twilight Princess, debatably Oracles [2x]

Even pushing it back to OoT:
Adult: Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, debatably Oracles [2x]
Young Link: Same as above plus Majora's Mask

Adult Link is making his appearance in TP, and he hasn't been seen since OoT. To support, bring LoZ into the new generation, and basically keep it alive, was Young Link. So don't give me that "Young Link doesn't deserve a spot."

~~~
The "replacement" theory is bullsh*t. Samus has almost exact same Ftilt and Utilt as C. Falcon in Melee. How many ways can you actually kick? The number is not unlimitied people, so some movements need to be recylced, so deal with it.

~~~
I applaud you for removing Falco. He's mainly wanted back cuz he's good. Krystal can actually be unique, as opposed to Falco. Granted he can too, but Krystal has a real moveset than can be applied and with rare and unprecedented weapon of a staff.

~~~
IC's are NOT stale. How can that be? They're two migits, with hammers, cleats, shoot ice at you, and blast you with high velocity of snow and wind.
AND THEY CLIMB
Young Link is no doubt very important to the series. But in many games he functions similar to adult Link because he can use the same weapons (except in Orcania of Time where age is a factor). Young Link, if decloned, would make an interesting character with a whole different moveset featuring different items. But remember there are limited spots for characters. After Brawl, you may have to wait five years or longer for another Smash Brothers. So I think the cast needs to be diverse. And I don't think that under normal circumstances Sakurai would add two models of the same character (the clones were just a way of using the time left to generate more characters).

But wait!

Isn't Zamus just Samus? Doesn't that just kill your theory Bowserlick?

No. I said under normal circumstances. The fact that Zamus is in the game when Samus already will be, has me thinking that Shiek will be gone. You make a weak point. Yes Falcon and Samus due share a few moves. But they don't share the same fighting style, clothes, weapons, and statistics. Zamus is going to be a speedy character with a whip and a projectile, who is good at combos. She also wears a similar tight suit. Plus Sakurai said all the returning characters will be made from scratch. Zelda is in a new game. Her newest incarnation and maybe her newest alter ego (transformation) will probably be in. So the replacement theory is very valid.

The Ice Climber thing is just my personal opinion. I like their idea, but I am not to ho on the execution. I think Captain Olimar could advance their gimmick .

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
As for Krystal, Falco deserves it more than she does. Plus, I played through SFA and never really liked Krystal.
I never said get rid of Falco. Personally, I think Star Fox should have four represenatives just like Mario and LoZ.

My own list consists of everyone in Melee that had an original moveset, Ganondorf, Falco, and the five new ones...that makes 26 character slots and 27 characters (I'm confident that Zamus will have her own slot.) If we are going to 35 slots (36 characters), then just add in Krystal, Sonic, Diddy, Wolf, Nephenee*, Hitmonlee*, Laughing Dog*, and the alternate third-party and that meets the 35(36) characters. The three with astriks are more or less personal desire and could (and most likely would) be substituted with anyone else from the already going catagories increasing their count.

Mario: Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Peach (4)
Yoshi: Yoshi (1)
Wario: Wario (1)
DK: DK, Diddy (2)
Metroid: Samus, Zamus (2)
LoZ: Ganondorf, Link, Zelda, Shiek (4)
Kirby: Kirby, Metaknight (2)
Pokemon: Pikachu, Mewtwo, Jigglypuff (3)
Star Fox: Fox, Falco, Krystal, Wolf (4)
F-Zero: Captain Flacon (1)
Old School: Pit, Ice Climbers, Mr Game & Watch, Ness (4)
Fire Emblem: Marth (1)
Third-Party: Snake, Sonic, Alternate (3)
Toss-Up Slots: Hitmonlee, Laughing Dog, Nephenee (3)
Total = 35(36)

Now if Zamus were to be part of Samus (like Shiek is to Zelda) then we could have 35 slots, and 37 characters. If that were the case, I would add Ridley to the list giving Metroid three.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I think 35 is a perfect number. With some character taken out thats plenty. I'd even be happy with 30.

EnFerris

Smash Journeyman
I never said get rid of Falco. Personally, I think Star Fox should have four represenatives just like Mario and LoZ.

My own list consists of everyone in Melee that had an original moveset, Ganondorf, Falco, and the five new ones...that makes 26 character slots and 27 characters (I'm confident that Zamus will have her own slot.) If we are going to 35 slots (36 characters), then just add in Krystal, Sonic, Diddy, Wolf, Nephenee*, Hitmonlee*, Laughing Dog*, and the alternate third-party and that meets the 35(36) characters. The three with astriks are more or less personal desire and could (and most likely would) be substituted with anyone else from the already going catagories increasing their count.

Mario: Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Peach (4)
Yoshi: Yoshi (1)
Wario: Wario (1)
DK: DK, Diddy (2)
Metroid: Samus, Zamus (2)
LoZ: Ganondorf, Link, Zelda, Shiek (4)
Kirby: Kirby, Metaknight (2)
Pokemon: Pikachu, Mewtwo, Jigglypuff (3)
Star Fox: Fox, Falco, Krystal, Wolf (4)
F-Zero: Captain Flacon (1)
Old School: Pit, Ice Climbers, Mr Game & Watch, Ness (4)
Fire Emblem: Marth (1)
Third-Party: Snake, Sonic, Alternate (3)
Toss-Up Slots: Hitmonlee, Laughing Dog, Nephenee (3)
Total = 35(36)

Now if Zamus were to be part of Samus (like Shiek is to Zelda) then we could have 35 slots, and 37 characters. If that were the case, I would add Ridley to the list giving Metroid three.
Ah, relative franchise representation. How touchy a topic. I see two things to consider: A. Franchise relevance, and B. number of available characters.

Here's how I rank franchise relevance:

(and these are my personal opinions base on the liklihood of the un-initiated to recognize these games.)

Mario (including Yoshi, and Wario in a sense)
Legend of Zelda
Metroid
Pokemon (very important games, even if the franchise outside the game is very tired)
Kirby
Starfox
Donkey Kong
Fire Emblem
Old School and Oddities (including Falcoln) (Should be largest in number, as it's lots of franchises.)
Third Party

Now, by my reckoning, Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and Pokemon are the headlining franchises of Nintendo. They should have four to five characters each. I would prefer, with five for Mario. Three for Kirby, Starfox, Third party, Fire Emblem, and Donkey Kong. And the remaining slots (5) would be filled by Old schools and oddities. But this is not a perfect world. Let us now analyze character availability.

Mario- Tons. There are the brothers, Mario and Luigi the rival brothers; Wario, and Waluigi; the damsels, Daisy and Peach; The villains, Bowser and King boo; The lackeys, Petey Pirahna and Bowser jr.; and the odd-jobs, E. Gadd and Toad. Phwa! A total of 12 characters. A lot of those are fillers, so let's boil it down to playable characters in adventure games and the central villain. That leaves: Mario, Luigi, Wario, Yoshi, Toad, Peach, and Bowser. Still a lot. 7, to be precise. Mario could easily fill nearly three tenths of the proposed roster. Crazy. We need to cut it off somewhere.

Legend of Zelda- Few. As the games occur over generations, the main characters are thsoe that keep popping up. There are three of these, and Tingle. Link, Ganondorf, and Zelda/Sheik(one character) are all well and good. After that we need to start craping out the barrel. What do we find? Tingle, a recurring merchant hated in America; Vaati, a villain from a few oddball handheld games who could have a decent shot if his humanoid form was ever caught doing ANYTHING; and Skull Kid, a character with a lot of personality and move options who only appeared in one game. I support The Hero of Winds, as Young Link is significant and because each Link is a different one, Windwaker Link is differentiated enough to be a separate character. I get the opposing argumnet, however. But if you are aainst multiple Links, we have slim pickings.

Metroid- Even Fewer! We have Samus, the obvious. She rarely even talks to anyone. She usually just blasted away enemies. Her recurring villains are Ridley, Kraid, Mother Brain, and Dark Samus. Dark Samus could easily not be a clone, but she doesn't have that much character on her own. Mother Brain and Kraid have fallen by the wayside in recent years, which leaves Ridley. I can dig Zero Suit Samus, as long as the transformation mechanic isn't the same as Sheik's. Samus never willingly changes, she just copes when she loses her equipment. I'm fine with just having Ridley and Samus, as there are so few characters.

Pokemon- The exact opposite of Metroid: way too many characters. We have 493 pokemon, and a trainer. Obviously, not all of these characters are viable smashers, but by what criteria are we to choose? Most people only had time to memorize the original 151. And even then, very few rose above the rest. With almost no pokemon standing out, and the inclusion of a trainer controversial we could either have way too many or two few. I see viable smashers as thus: Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Lucario, Deoxys, a trainer, And a handful of others. Too many. I say we cut out the three most recent generation. The last two need more time to become classics, and no one special appeared in Johto. I put in a vote for Pikachu, Mewtwo, Jigglypuff, and Red (the trainer).

Kirby- Perfect. Three characters that keep popping up, and that form a nice dynamic with each other. Dedede, Metaknight, and Kirby are all good to go.

Starfox- BOrders on over abundance. We have Fox, Falco, Wolf, Krystal, and maybe pre-transformation Andross (Which would be made up like Falcoln). I'm all for the first four, but is Starfox really more important than Metroid? Three is pushing it. I'm in a pickle. Three or four? What to do? Adding two ccould be a strecth, but Falco isn't as original as Wolf (who I have de-cloned) and Krystal (staffs rock!).

Donkey Kong. Not too bad. Donkey Kong is there, Diddy is a no-brainer. We could add K. Rool, but he just falls flat for me. He's quite a cliche, and I just never bought him as a character. We could add Dixie, but she would unavoidably be a Diddy clone. I think it would be funny to include Cranky with the original Donkey Kong's moves, but the joke probably isn't worth the lost slot. I'm comfortable leaving it at 2.

Fire Emblem- So many characters, so few memorable ones. How about we stick to the Lords? Ohp! Most of them are swordsmen who are very similar. Luckily, there is an exception: Hector. Bad*ss axes are a yes. Eirika could also fit, but I personally doubt 'girl with sword' is different enough from 'guy with sword,' Even if they're different swords. I know most of you guys are only familiar with Path of Radiance, so am I. But don't make judgments based on that. We need to represent the whole franchise. I'm fine with two here, as well.

Old School and Oddities- Plenty to go around. I'd like as many as possible, frankly. Just stick to one per franchise, unless you think the whole frachise is good enough. Earthbound, F-Zero, Punch-out, and Kid Icarus characters reside here.

Third parties- Cut off at three. No debate about it.

Now, if you think a franchise needs representation, start small. It can get more in Smas Bros. IV. Candidate I see are Battalion/Advance Wars, if the separation between CO and unit can be overcome so a moveset can be created, and Golden Sun, if another sequel is announced.

This turned out to be really long. Maybe I'll copy-paste it and make a thread...

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
Mario (including Yoshi, and Wario in a sense)
Legend of Zelda
Metroid
Pokemon (very important games, even if the franchise outside the game is very tired)
Kirby
Starfox
Donkey Kong
Fire Emblem
Old School and Oddities (including Falcon) (Should be largest in number, as it's lots of franchises.)
Third Party
Make perfect sense...

Now, by my reckoning, Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and Pokemon are the headlining franchises of Nintendo. They should have four to five characters each. I would prefer, with five for Mario. Three for Kirby, Starfox, Third party, Fire Emblem, and Donkey Kong. And the remaining slots (5) would be filled by Old schools and oddities. But this is not a perfect world. Let us now analyze character availability.
Still making lots of sense...

Mario- Tons. There are the brothers, Mario and Luigi the rival brothers; Wario, and Waluigi; the damsels, Daisy and Peach; The villains, Bowser and King boo; The lackeys, Petey Pirahna and Bowser jr.; and the odd-jobs, E. Gadd and Toad. Phwa! A total of 12 characters. A lot of those are fillers, so let's boil it down to playable characters in adventure games and the central villain. That leaves: Mario, Luigi, Wario, Yoshi, Toad, Peach, and Bowser. Still a lot. 7, to be precise. Mario could easily fill nearly three tenths of the proposed roster. Crazy. We need to cut it off somewhere.
Mario technically has the right to have as many characters in there as he bloody well wants...as he IS the mascot character. I also do count Yoshi and Wario as Mario characters, I was simply pointing out their respective franchises in my last post.

But I agree with you in the sense that Mario characters need to slow down and let the others catch up.

Legend of Zelda- Few. As the games occur over generations, the main characters are thsoe that keep popping up. There are three of these, and Tingle. Link, Ganondorf, and Zelda/Sheik(one character) are all well and good. After that we need to start craping out the barrel. What do we find? Tingle, a recurring merchant hated in America; Vaati, a villain from a few oddball handheld games who could have a decent shot if his humanoid form was ever caught doing ANYTHING; and Skull Kid, a character with a lot of personality and move options who only appeared in one game. I support The Hero of Winds, as Young Link is significant and because each Link is a different one, Windwaker Link is differentiated enough to be a separate character. I get the opposing argumnet, however. But if you are aainst multiple Links, we have slim pickings.
Your first mistake has just been found. Technically, there are SIX Zelda characters that have appeared in three or more games; Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Skull Kid, Tingle, and Epona.
Epona is the only one of that group that couldn't be turned into a fighting character.
With the release of his new game, Tingle could *shudders* very well appear as a playable character in Brawl. He would be the new Pichu (the character everyone hates and wants gone.)
Skull Kid was in OoT, MM, and soon to appear in Twilight Princess. He is suprisingly loved and also has the potential for a good moveset based off of MM.
You're gong to have to give me some more information on Vaati. I have never played a game that featured this character, so I can't really give much insight on it.
I'm not much of a fan on the whole "WW Link as the new Link" idea. I say, either have Wind Waker Link, or Adult Link...not both. Save room for other characters.

Metroid- Even Fewer! We have Samus, the obvious. She rarely even talks to anyone. She usually just blasted away enemies. Her recurring villains are Ridley, Kraid, Mother Brain, and Dark Samus. Dark Samus could easily not be a clone, but she doesn't have that much character on her own. Mother Brain and Kraid have fallen by the wayside in recent years, which leaves Ridley. I can dig Zero Suit Samus, as long as the transformation mechanic isn't the same as Sheik's. Samus never willingly changes, she just copes when she loses her equipment. I'm fine with just having Ridley and Samus, as there are so few characters.
Not much I can say here. I have really never gotten into Metroid (hopefully I can change that with MP3 [I like the way the controls for FPS games work]), so I don't know it as well as the others. I do however know that Ridley and Samus are the villian/hero combo, so they are really the only ones who deserve it, in my opinion.

Pokemon- The exact opposite of Metroid: way too many characters. We have 493 pokemon, and a trainer. Obviously, not all of these characters are viable smashers, but by what criteria are we to choose? Most people only had time to memorize the original 151. And even then, very few rose above the rest. With almost no pokemon standing out, and the inclusion of a trainer controversial we could either have way too many or two few. I see viable smashers as thus: Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Lucario, Deoxys, a trainer, And a handful of others. Too many. I say we cut out the three most recent generation. The last two need more time to become classics, and no one special appeared in Johto. I put in a vote for Pikachu, Mewtwo, Jigglypuff, and Red (the trainer).
Really, the only ones that deserve representation are the first generation. The second, third, and fourth are all crap. I can see Red being a possible character, I'm just not big on it. I would much rather have Hitmonlee over anyone else in the series..that's just personal preference (which is kind of funny because Charizard is my favorite.)

Kirby- Perfect. Three characters that keep popping up, and that form a nice dynamic with each other. Dedede, Metaknight, and Kirby are all good to go.
Same as Metroid. I have no arguments. Though, from what I have learned, these are the only three worthy of Brawl slots.

Starfox- BOrders on over abundance. We have Fox, Falco, Wolf, Krystal, and maybe pre-transformation Andross (Which would be made up like Falcoln). I'm all for the first four, but is Starfox really more important than Metroid? Three is pushing it. I'm in a pickle. Three or four? What to do? Adding two ccould be a strecth, but Falco isn't as original as Wolf (who I have de-cloned) and Krystal (staffs rock!).
I'm a bit iffy on this one too. I have never really played a Starfox game (outside of Adventures and Assult) so I can't say that I grew up with Wolf like some people. I really can see three possible StarFox rosters at three characters:
Fox, Krystal, Falco
Fox, Krystal, Wolf
Fox, Wolf, Falco
My personal preference is for either of the top two, as I REALLY want Krystal in the game. Unless she doesn't make the cut, I won't be disappointed in the choices made.

Donkey Kong. Not too bad. Donkey Kong is there, Diddy is a no-brainer. We could add K. Rool, but he just falls flat for me. He's quite a cliche, and I just never bought him as a character. We could add Dixie, but she would unavoidably be a Diddy clone. I think it would be funny to include Cranky with the original Donkey Kong's moves, but the joke probably isn't worth the lost slot. I'm comfortable leaving it at 2.
Pretty much agree with you here. I just can't see K.Rool being in Brawl...no matter how hard I try.

Fire Emblem- So many characters, so few memorable ones. How about we stick to the Lords? Ohp! Most of them are swordsmen who are very similar. Luckily, there is an exception: Hector. Bad*ss axes are a yes. Eirika could also fit, but I personally doubt 'girl with sword' is different enough from 'guy with sword,' Even if they're different swords. I know most of you guys are only familiar with Path of Radiance, so am I. But don't make judgments based on that. We need to represent the whole franchise. I'm fine with two here, as well.
My feelings for Fire Emblem are pretty much the opposite for Wind Waker. I don't want a character from one game being brought in, unless that character is from Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. Unfortunatle, I have never had the opportunity to play the series before PoR. From what I have learned, Marth is the only character to appear in more than one game. To me, that makes him the mascot of the series. If I were to choose, it would be Nephenee coming into Brawl and not Hector, Ike, or anyone else... Again, personal preference.

Old School and Oddities- Plenty to go around. I'd like as many as possible, frankly. Just stick to one per franchise, unless you think the whole frachise is good enough. Earthbound, F-Zero, Punch-out, and Kid Icarus characters reside here.
The more oldies we get, the better. I love the history lesson you can get from a game. I never became a *serious* gamer until I got my N64. I learned more about Captain Falcon, Ness, and Fox from Smash 64 than I did anywhere else...simply because I missed out on their respective series (due to my lack of funds.)

In fact, I became interested in Fire Emblem after playing Marth. The historic characters definately need to stay. My most recent interest is Pit. Once I get my Wii (two more days!), I plan on downloading MANY old school games that I either *played and loved* or just flat-out (missed out) on, including but not limited to:
*Duck Hunt*
*Super Mario*
*Sonic the Hedgehog 2*
(Kid Icarus)
(Chrono Trigger)

Third parties- Cut off at three. No debate about it.
Exactly. Snake, Sonic, and Crono... Or maybe Prince... Rayman? Megaman? There are too many to make a clear decision.

Now, if you think a franchise needs representation, start small. It can get more in Smas Bros. IV. Candidate I see are Battalion/Advance Wars, if the separation between CO and unit can be overcome so a moveset can be created, and Golden Sun, if another sequel is announced.
I too was thinking that Advance Wars needed a little represenative. Haven't played GS, so I can't say either way.

Oni Andrew

Smash Apprentice
James Bond and one of the villains from one of his movies might be good. And so would Siegfried Schtauffen from Soul Calibur 2. But only Nightmare appeared in Soul Calibur 2. But one of Nightmare's costumes is Siegfried. And, if we take that costume and give it the personality and story Siegfried redeemed in Soul Calibur 3, we have a **** cool character! Jack Sparrow's been on the DS, and he should be, beyond all doubt, a part of this game.

Mestro

Smash Journeyman
THIS IS MY LIST!

1.Mario
2.Link
3.Kirby
4.Pikachu
5.Meta Knight
6.Pit
7.Zero Suit Samus
8.Wario
9.Snake
10.Fox
11.Simon Belmont
12.Alucard

13.Don't care
14.Don't care
15.Don't care
16.Don't care
17.Don't care
18.Don't care
19.Don't care
20.Don't care
21.Don't care
22.Don't care
23.Don't care
24.Don't care
25.Don't care
26.Don't care
27.Don't care
28.Don't care
29.Don't care
30.Don't care
31.Don't care
32.Don't care
33.Don't care
34.Don't care
35.Don't care

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I want as manycharacters aspossible. If 35 is the best they could have done, then great! I'm satisfied. Now if I find that they wasted valuable time that they could have used on making new character on something rediculous like chargedtaunts, then I would be mad. I would also be mad if they removed ness lol!

EnFerris

Smash Journeyman
I want as manycharacters aspossible. If 35 is the best they could have done, then great! I'm satisfied. Now if I find that they wasted valuable time that they could have used on making new character on something rediculous like chargedtaunts, then I would be mad. I would also be mad if they removed ness lol!
Really? I would rather feel that Super Smash Bros. felt like an exclusive engagement for the best of the best of video games. Also, variety does not always equal better gameplay. Even if all these characters are balanced, and none are clones, the developers would need to start scraping from the bottom of the barrel for moves. How many moves can you come up with, anyway?

Wolfblade

Smash Lord
For my pick of 11 I'd go for the following:
1. Lucario (give me him and I don't care who else is in)
2. Sonic
3. Megaman Zero (just because he is like strictly nintendo now and he fits brawl's look more than megaman)
4. Vaati
5. Diddy
6. Another FE character
7. Ridely
8. Crystal

OK well there are 8 that I'd expect to see, the others (such as ice climber replacements) have too many possibilies so I'll leave it. Id really prefer Zero over nomal megaman though. Zero deserves a spot in brawl with all of his gba/ ds exclusive titles now.

Yellow Mage

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, I'll take a crack at this for a moment.

In alphabetical order is my current dream roster:

01. Blaziken
02. Bowser
03. Donkey Kong
04. Fox
05. Jigglypuff
06. Kain
07. King Dedede
08. Kirby
09. Krystal
10. Link
11. Lucario
12. Luigi
13. Marche
14. Mario
15. Marth
16. Metaknight
17. Minun & Plusle
18. Montblanc
19. Nana & Popo
20. Ness
21. Palom & Porom
22. Peach
23. Pikachu
24. Pit
25. Samus
26. Snake
27. Wario
28. Yoshi

So, obviously, I currently am missing 7 from the expected 35 quota, but this doesn't matter as I don't work for Nintendo :laugh: .

And, NO! I am NOT adding Sonic to this list. I feel there are enough people doing that already ;) .

icymatt

Smash Lord
Frankly, I'd be happy with 15 balanced, non-clone characters instead of 50 characters where you can only expect to win a tournament with 3 of them.
You see, I think that's bizarre. I like balance and all...but the most important thing about Smash Bros. is getting to see my favorite characters. 15 would be like a harpoon to my heart. It's even worse considering the 26 in Melee hardly covers enough bases. Hell, 35 is actually frustrating to choose. Even just 3 more spaces would make me happier. I'm not one of the wackos who honestly thinks they'll get 50+ characters in the game, but between 35-45 is where I really want them to go.

Also, 'All-Star' is not only subjective, it's also inaccurate. Nintendo's 'all-stars' will get featured, but that doesn't mean that only 'all-stars' should get in. And they won't, as Mr.S already said that's he not interested in only including 'well-known' characters.

Top Bottom