• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

35 characters,would you be satisfied?(Also,a theory of development progress)

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
See now, I'm against that. I don't care if the character is "obscure" or not, as long as at one point in time they were of 'all-star' status, meaning they were a hit and became popular and big and whatnot. Pit is a perfect example of that.

11 new characters in total is around what to expect. Melee had 8, with 5 starters. Brawl is having 5 starters, so another 5-6 is plausible.

Obscure is fine, just no Hyena A or Octorock C. Generic, catch my drift?

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
See now, I'm against that. I don't care if the character is "obscure" or not, as long as at one point in time they were of 'all-star' status, meaning they were a hit and became popular and big and whatnot. Pit is a perfect example of that.

11 new characters in total is around what to expect. Melee had 8, with 5 starters. Brawl is having 5 starters, so another 5-6 is plausible.

Obscure is fine, just no Hyena A or Octorock C. Generic, catch my drift?
Well, nobody is implying characters THAT generic (and if they are they should know better).

Just so's you know, I am also one of those wackos who likes the idea of having tons of characters. 40 is as low as I can really go and still be happy, while around 45-50 is my sweet spot.

Ice Climbers isn't aren't that All-star. They are characters from a minor NES game that never really got a sequel.

Xemnas - Mansex

Smash Cadet
I'd be fine with 35. 35 is great. All those old character plus the new ones would be fine by me.

I want:

1.Sonic (Le duh) - Actualy a good chance of it being in. Everyone wants it...
2.Axel - Neva gonna happen even though I can give a great movelist for him and it would be cool, but, a Kindom Hearts Character would never make it.
3.Sora - Read Above.
4.Riku (Dark One) - Read above.
5.Xemnas (Final Suit) - Read Above.
6.Larxene - Read Above
7.Marluxia - Read Above
8.Xigbar - Read Above
9.Roxas - Read Above
10.Ansem - Read Above
11.Riku (regular Riku) - Read Above

In all honesty, if I won some contest that allowed me to put a character in Brawl, I would pick Axel over anyone. ANYONE. Any pokemon/sonic character, anything.

But they are making great progress. The longer they work, the better the game will be.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
True that IC's were never really of 'all-star' status, but they kinda made up for it because of they're uniqueness and originality and how well they came out of it. i don't consider them 'all-stars' but they are fun, so i guess if stretched, exceptions can be made.

but the vast majority still needs to of been of that status.

OhCripe119

Smash Apprentice
If I could toss 11 characters into the game this is who I'd want:

1. Captain Olimar
2. Krystal
3. Andross
4. M-09 (the cyborg from Project HAMMER)
5. Ridley
6. Ray01 (Custom Robo)
7. Jashin, the Hate Giant (Doshin the Giant)
8. Hammer Bro
9. Kamek
10. Jill (Drill Dozer)
11. Lady Lyndis

Ryuuseiken Marth

Smash Apprentice
As we all know,Masahiro Sakurai has a goal of aiming for a maximum of 40 characters.But current speculation says otherwise,as since the launch of the new trailer,people have been beggining to doubt the development progress.That being said,would you be satisfied if we recieve 35 characters?As i can see it,a simple analysis can slightly pre-determin the status of the games development,and shows possibilities that we may have more characters in our starting line up than we assume.
The 40 characters thing is just a byproduct of the WWLink/Ridley/Bowser Jr rumor which has been proven false.

The other 11 can be new characters,and that will give a grand total of 35 characters.I think with a line up like this,it would be enough to keep us satisfied.Even if we don't hit 40 characters,35 is good and plenty.Now the only problems that we encounter is the fact that the characters must be updated,and the clones need to be revamped.But updating them isn't as much as a difficult task as it may sound,due to the fact that the character movesets are still present.

I think this is good enough to satisfy both us and the game developers.Comments are appreciated.And tell me if you feel that anything is wrong.Thanks in advance.
The main reason why characters are taken out isn't room, it's more of relieving the workload on the developers by removing some of the more redundant characters, because some elements of the clones can be reworked into the original, like Mario's reworked Fair, and Pikachu's attacks getting stronger.

We shouldn't think too pessimistic of Brawl. Much info has been kept secret(Only a revamped Fox has been revealed so far, and it was 2 months since Star Fox Command came out; which is definitely suspicious; concerning the months spent between July and September, other on concentrating on current characters), and Brawl is technically Nintendo's biggest project beyond April.

Beyond 45 is my bet.

D

Deleted member

If I could pick 11, I would pick (in no particular order):

1. Takamaru
2. Deoxys (Pokemon)
3. Geno (Mario)
4. Ephraim (Fire Emblem)
5. Hector (Fire Emblem)
6. Wolf (Star Fox)
7. Sylux (Metroid)
8. Isaac (Golden Sun)
9. Felix (Golden Sun)
10. Ike (Fire Emblem)
11. Ralph (Zelda)

Done.

I've always wondered though, why can't others be added later through online downloads? It would show the power of the Wii?

Pit 42

Smash Lord
35 characters, no. I would definatly be undersatisfied. I expect a minimum of 50 characters. That's what was announced, and that's what I've grown to except.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Nope it wasn't, and I don't think that there are as much real worthy characters around after 35~40 characters anyway. Sure there are always likes as Blaziken and Kamek, and however they are awesome characters... Their changes are rather slim versus likes as Ridley, Diddy Kong, Ike and Krystal.

10~15 Characters more or less is a big diffrence. Just look at SSB64 and Melee. SSB64 had just 12 characters, Melee had 26, 14 new characters where added. Characters are very important in Super Smash Brothers, because if a character isn't in there... It won't be regonised as fast...

icymatt

Smash Lord
Nope it wasn't, and I don't think that there are as much real worthy characters around after 35~40 characters anyway.
I wouldn't go that far. I could name 50 characters they could add and not get down to the level of Blaziken(imo) and Kamek. Hell, I didn't even get down to the level of Daisy and Waluigi.

Kirye

Smash Ace
First post? Woot, been looking around these forums checking out Brawl info, found this thread, thought i'd throw my 2 cents in.

Personally, I can only see a fair few of the options in this thread as really acceptable for Brawl. Some of them seem kind of ********, and in other cases you have to think of their past showings as well. For example, Megaman would be nice to have, but he's also been in Marvel vs. Capcom 1-2, so it just kind of seems overused, get what I mean? Zero on the other hand, hasn't been used for an occasion like this, and could be acceptable.

Anyway, here's my list as i'd like to see it.

1)Mario (Already in the trailer, the big cheese of Nintendo.)
2)Link (On the trailer, one of the biggest franchises of Nintendo.)
3)Samus (I'd like to see Samus transform into ZS-Samus, to save one slot. But if not, whatever right? )
4)Kirby (On the trailer, on the past few Smash Bros., and Sakurai's creation child.)
5)Pikachu (Possibly the Pokemon that *everyone* knows. For those who never even touched a Pokemon game, they'd still know at least Pikachu above any of the rest.)
6)Fox (Showed on the second trailer to Brawl, a big Nintendo franchise, and a huge SSB fave)

New additions::
7)Metaknight (Kirby's rival, kick ***)
8)Pit (Coming in as IC did, a NES game with little popularity, but will probably grow with this char.)
9)ZS-Samus (I mentioned her as being a transformation to Samus, but if not here she is anyway.)
10) Wario (The fat man finally makes his way into Brawl! But his movement reminds me of G & W =/ )
11) Snake (Personally, I'd have preferred other third party characters. Don't get me wrong, I love MGS, but it just looks.. odd here.)

As i've seen from Melee and recent Brawl additions, they've been adding rivals to each game franchise, like Mario to Bowser, Link to Ganon, etc. So here come some options I was thinking about.

12) Bowser (Mario's rival and sworn enemy.)
13) Ganondorf (Link's life-long enemy, but he needs a new moveset.. Even though the Zelda games wouldn't provide a good skill listing for him.)
14) Mewtwo (Though he really isn't, Mewtwo is pretty much rival to Pikachu. Good to bad, get my drift?)
15) Wolf (Fox's rival. He fits in much more than Andros would, he's a lovable character in SF64 as well. "You're good.. But i'm better!"
16) Ridley (Samus' true rival, who's appeared in many more Metroid games than Dark Samus. And what would you prefer? 3 Samus' or 2 Samus' and a giant Dragon? Come on.)
17) King DeDeDe (Now this is Kirby's TRUE rival. This character would fit in perfectly, and he seems to perfect the Kirby set. )
18) Bowser Jr. (He could be considered a rival to both Yoshi and Mario. From what i've heard, he's being added in, and I guess could be seen as Yoshi's rival in Yoshi's island for the SNES.)

I can't picture King K. Rool in Brawl, at all. So I won't mention him.

Next, i'll throw in the sidekicks each franchise has, and the ones i'd like to see.

19) Peach (Mario's have-to-save-to-get-my-loving girl, a popular female of the Mario franchise.)
20) Yoshi (Plain and simple Yoshi, Mario's dinosaur buddy since olden times, and a member of both old Smash bros. )
21) Luigi (Mario's younger, but taller, brother. He became the clone on Melee that actually had a decent differentiated set of skills than Mario, but was good nonetheless.)
22) Zelda (As Mario is to Peach, Zelda is Link's gotta-save princess of Hyrule. I would prefer Sheik stay as she's one of my favorite chars, but who knows.)
23) Falco (Fox's partner and somewhat rival. He appeared in Melee with a cloned set of skills of Fox, I would prefer to see him with newer skills.)
24) Jigglypuff (She's shown up in both Smash bros., an amusing little creature, and deadly if used well.)
25) Toad (He's been around Mario since the old times, and fits in quite well. Peach can always use a different toad for protection. =P )
26) Wind Waker Link (Since Y. Link is to be replaced for the GC counterpart, I can hope he'll have a good set of skills rather than Y. Link's cloned skills of Adult Link.)

And finally, the last batch of characters in what was missing from the top, and the outsiders i'd like in Brawl.

27) Donkey Kong (It's a given, no? It's just.. Donkey Kong. =D)
28) Diddy Kong (DK is really under-repped in Melee, and deserves his little sidekick at his side.)
29) Ness (I can't really picture any of his friends in Brawl, honestly. Just Ness is enough. )
30) Geno (The little blue mage dude from Mario RPG. I'd love to see him in Brawl, and as I see it, he's not completely third party as he was part of Nintendo. )
31) Sonic (The mad blue Hedgehog. For years on end, there was a rivalry between him and Mario, why not settle it now, in Brawl? Plus, Sega has been on good terms with Nintendo so it's a high possibility.)
32) Vaati (Why not? This is one character in the Zelda games that I was amused with, especially in Minish Cap.)
33) Isaac (I know what you're all thinking, would he really fit in? I believe so. He can rep Golden Sun pretty well, and above that he's just an awesome swordsman.)
34) Marth (Almost forgot him. D: Marth has repped the FE name very well, and besides being an awesome swordsman, he's a well known character from Melee. )

And finally, my last character in this list..

35) Zero (Unlike Megaman, Zero's never been in a game mix fighting game before, and is mostly on Nintendo, so it'd be pretty sweet. =O)

And just for ****s and giggles.

36) Gir (I LOVEDED YOU PIGGY! I LOVEDED JOOO!!)

Anyway, that's my list. I might've forgotten someone going down the list like that, but oh well. I made sure to remove some clones that weren't necessary, like Roy, Dr. Mario and Pichu. And kick out IC / G & W, who are most likely being removed as well.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Actually, I changed my mind. As long as they keep Ness, I'll be happy with however many characters they put in!:laugh:

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Gir pwns.

I've played SSBM two hours, every day for the past two years, and I still haven't even used a fourth of the characters to a good extent. If there are going to be 35 characters, that's more than enough for me. :)

Ryuuseiken Marth

Smash Apprentice
Nope it wasn't, and I don't think that there are as much real worthy characters around after 35~40 characters anyway. Sure there are always likes as Blaziken and Kamek, and however they are awesome characters... Their changes are rather slim versus likes as Ridley, Diddy Kong, Ike and Krystal.

10~15 Characters more or less is a big diffrence. Just look at SSB64 and Melee. SSB64 had just 12 characters, Melee had 26, 14 new characters where added. Characters are very important in Super Smash Brothers, because if a character isn't in there... It won't be regonised as fast...
I've noticed that alot of people aren't making good selections for the remaining characters. In fact, I'm currently editing a photoshop which I created for a more rational selection, that isn't inept, like many of the other photoshops are.

Here's my picks, assuming that most of the characters will return. I don't think that the removals will be overly drastic, but the current rationale is that 24 characters, including the new ones, will return. It's more of 24 plus the new characters, and minus more, the more characters are removed

29+6= 35

Removed- Pichu, Dr. Mario

1. Diddy Kong
2. Krystal
3. Isaac
4. King Dedede
5. Ridley
6. Samurai Goroh

If Mr.Game&Watch is removed...
7. Tom Nook, or Miyamoto

If Falco's removed...
8. Wolf

If Roy's removed...
9. Ike

If Young Link's removed...
10. Vaati

If Ice Climber's removed...
11. Little Mac

If Ganondorf's removed...
12. Deoxys

i.eatnoobs

Smash Rookie
isn't Samus(with suit) in there for sure, cause he was in the first trailor, using his cannon?

zero212

Smash Apprentice
hmmm there is probably little to no chance to have any advance wars caracters in it. that's actually the only thing i want to see back in it. but advance wars should have at a least a trophy of it in ssbb.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
hmmm there is probably little to no chance to have any advance wars caracters in it. that's actually the only thing i want to see back in it. but advance wars should have at a least a trophy of it in ssbb.
Well, considering that AW is made by the same 2nd party company as Fire Emblem, I'd say that the chances for one of the COs to get in is pretty good. I'm pulling for Andy, since he is the first Nintendo Wars character to get to know us in America.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
Sonic
Megaman
Skull Kid w/ Majora's Mask
Midna riding Wolf Link
Geno
Diddy Kong
Ridley
Krystal
King Boo

etc.

35 would be fine, since I can't even think of 11 good unmentioned characters without naming something hopeless (but awesome) like the Poes from Zelda.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
F*** you guy, IC's are so unique, insulting them is like insulting Fox who hasnever done anythign besides press a couple buttons.

Also, one is a f****** girl and the other is a guy, then get more action than you. so shut the **** up you ****ing douchebags. if you can make as good a moveset as sakurai, i'd like to see you try.

i played n64 smash for the first time in a while, i cant believe fox's up smash stayed just as amazing as in n64, they really aren't paying attention. and that IC's should come back if Sakurai likes duo', these two are the originals.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Here's my list:

Sonic (always been sort of a closet fan of these games despite never owning a SEGA system)
Megaman (always been a fan as well though was never hardcore enough to beat one of his games...bosses...; ; Until recently, of course ;))
Diddy Kong (always loved all the DK games and think they need more representation)
Krystal (liked SFA and I think the game could use more females)
Wolf (badass character with a badass theme song)
King Dedede (same as above plus he's a penguin with a mallet! Doesn't get much cooler than that)
Loto (legendary hero from one of the greatest game series evar)
Takamaru (more old school characters!)
Lyn (seems cool and adds to the womans count)
I'd also keep Mr. Game and Watch and the Ice Climbers.

I also agree that 35 is a good amount of characters.

Promethus

Smash Apprentice
Hmm for my list it would be.

Diddy Kong (More DK series representing and Requested alot)
King Dedede (Most Populor Requested Character on Japan Poll and More Kirby)
Krystal (MOre Females and More Starfox)
Sonic (Generally Most requested)
Ridely (Samus's Rival and more Metroid characters)
Lucario
Geno
Ike
Another FE guy
Lucas
King k. Rool

Kirye

Smash Ace
Also, one is a f****** girl and the other is a guy, then get more action than you. so shut the **** up you ****ing douchebags. if you can make as good a moveset as sakurai, i'd like to see you try.
Get more action? o.o But.. They're brother and sister, and they're children.. Incest pedophilia? D=

And control the anger. x.x Not everyone has to agree that ICs suck, i'm not much a fan either but yeah. o.O Just prove him wrong instead.

marthsword

Smash Ace
F*** you guy, IC's are so unique, insulting them is like insulting Fox who hasnever done anythign besides press a couple buttons.

i played n64 smash for the first time in a while, i cant believe fox's up smash stayed just as amazing as in n64, they really aren't paying attention. and that IC's should come back if Sakurai likes duo', these two are the originals.

That's a little hostile. I agree though, IC's are unique and original. They balaance the game. What's more fun the infinite grabs and the freeze glitch? They make those stupid noised too, kinda funny.

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
IC's aren't brother and sister, just to let you know. Not quite sure what they are...

Anyway, when it's put like that, I suppose 35 wouldn't be too bad. I'm still hoping for 40+, but it doesn't mean that I'm gonna be mad otherwise. Also, why does everybody freakin' think that this is supposed to be a "Here's my eleven lawl!!" thread? The thread asks: "35 characters, would you be satisfied?" not "If you could pick eleven new characters...". Just thought I'd put that out there.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
I haven't really been following this thread to be honest, but now I'm curious: has anyone discussed the nigh definite possibility that we WILL see Dedede, Diddy, and Krystal? I noticed some lists lack those characters, despite them being #'s 1, 2, and 3, respectively, on the fan polls.

icymatt

Smash Lord
I haven't really been following this thread to be honest, but now I'm curious: has anyone discussed the nigh definite possibility that we WILL see Dedede, Diddy, and Krystal? I noticed some lists lack those characters, despite them being #'s 1, 2, and 3, respectively, on the fan polls.
I'm pretty sure Sonic was the actual #1...those just had the most letters about them out the 300 they posted.

Even so, I do agree that they are incredibly likely. But I would still leave in the chance of non-inclusion, just in case.

Flint

Smash Rookie
Well i hardly post here, but here is my list of 11 characters, that Not only I think deserve to be in Brawl, but actually have some chances (and personal Favorites, so don´t hate me if your pics are not here)...

Flint (From Mother 3)
Jill (from Drill dozer)
Dedede (from Kirby)
Diddy (from DKC)
Krystal (from Starfox)
Toad (from Mario series)
Tingle (from Zelda and Tingle series)
Deoxis (pokemon)
Lucairo (pokemon)
Sonic+Tails (from Sonic )
Rayman (from Rayman

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord

Wow, simmer down. I never said I hated them, or that they were a bad addition. All I said was that they were gay..
C'mon, you have to admit that they are incredibly fruity.

Hey, if you guys want to post your character lists: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=90645

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
Sorry, I was drinking and people got me in a bad mood....then i came on here.......
Umm...Yea...I stand by my choice that IC's are the originals and there aren't any better choices for duo's, since they've already been in Smash.

Can't wait for the balance in Brawl. No stupid broken U-smash and U-air for Fox. Not as many glitches...gonna be a good time.....

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
I think 35 if a great number, just look at the variety of options we had in Melee, adding 35 original characters would just be awesome. However, I feel people are putting down the idea of the return of clones way to quickly. They are quick and easy to develop, and, as has been stated by many, SSBros. is a fanservice game. I think it would be very plausible just to throw in some extra characters so that their fans could be satisfied just to be able to play them, even if they have duplicated movesets.

Top Bottom