• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

35 characters,would you be satisfied?(Also,a theory of development progress)

Meta_Owns_Ur_Dad

Smash Ace
I THINK 35 would be good enough for me...

Here are my 11 picks-

1. Captain Olimar: I love throwing items, and throwing pikmin would be even better. Plus he is wanted by quite a bit pf people.
2. Geno: Sakurai loves him, most of us love him, why not? He could have some awesome moves too.
3. Sonic: Self explanatory.
4. Wolf: Fox needs a rival, and the only possible one i can think of is Wolf. And he has a good amount of fans.
5. Ridley: Samus as well needs her rival. I'm not putting her on here because of villians sake but it would be totally kickass to crush people with Ridley!
6. Krystal: Not a big fan, but the most likely to be added to the starfox series.
7. Ike: I don't play his games, but this guy is popular and Sakurai likes him.
8. Diddy Kong: Diddy could have some cool moves, plus DK is loney... Sakurai likes him, but the duo more. hopefully he'll listen to the NOOOOOs...
9. takamaru: I have no idea who this dude is (I saw pics though) and Sakurai wants him in so...
10. Dedede: He was supposed to be in Melee but was cut due to lack of time, and another plus, he is definantly wanted.
11. Balloon Fighter: Hey, he was in the Beta version of Melee.

I guess i could live. xD

experiment111

Smash Journeyman
While i would usually say quality over quantity 35 just doesnt seem like enough.
45 at the most......i dunno some where in the mid forties.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
After going over Eternal Phoenix Fire's list, I think it's both A> Fairly accurate, and B> Shows there would be plenty of room to fill up a roster to 35.

The question at hand...would I be happy with a roster of 35? I could be. More is obviously better, provided they all receive competent playtesting... and/or the option of releasing a 'balance patch' for the game becomes available via WiiConnect24. I'd be willing to go for that.

But if we were to just get 35 characters, using the theory and roster EPF listed? Yeah, I could be happy with that. A redesigned Zelda, adding Ike, and a little balance-tweaking on Link would be enough to satisfy me; between those three and Pit, I'd have enough likely playstyles to try out that I should be happy.

That would still leave 10 slots for other series/popular-inclusions to fill, and I'd have gotten the main thing I wanted -- more Fire Emblem characters. I could be happy with 35 if the choices were all solid and interesting. I would be firm about having no more than one 'joke character', though; if we're only getting 35 characters after this kind of development time, 34 of them better be reasonable viable in play, with 1 joke character allowed "for the lulz." That is, the equivalents of Dan (Street Fighter) and Pichu are okay by me, so long as it's just one of them.

Still, it seems we could fill an excellent variety with these theoretical 10-11 remaining slots on the roster.

Luigimitsu

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I think you got everything pretty much right there... I would be happy with that. They will have to update Ganonforf and Falco's move sets though, I don't want to see anymore clones =/. I mean, the way Luigi and Mario are sort of the same but they still manage to make them unique, is what I expect for every character (every character to be unique).

After going over Eternal Phoenix Fire's list, I think it's both A> Fairly accurate, and B> Shows there would be plenty of room to fill up a roster to 35.

The question at hand...would I be happy with a roster of 35? I could be. More is obviously better, provided they all receive competent playtesting... and/or the option of releasing a 'balance patch' for the game becomes available via WiiConnect24. I'd be willing to go for that.

But if we were to just get 35 characters, using the theory and roster EPF listed? Yeah, I could be happy with that. A redesigned Zelda, adding Ike, and a little balance-tweaking on Link would be enough to satisfy me; between those three and Pit, I'd have enough likely playstyles to try out that I should be happy.

That would still leave 10 slots for other series/popular-inclusions to fill, and I'd have gotten the main thing I wanted -- more Fire Emblem characters. I could be happy with 35 if the choices were all solid and interesting. I would be firm about having no more than one 'joke character', though; if we're only getting 35 characters after this kind of development time, 34 of them better be reasonable viable in play, with 1 joke character allowed "for the lulz." That is, the equivalents of Dan (Street Fighter) and Pichu are okay by me, so long as it's just one of them.

Still, it seems we could fill an excellent variety with these theoretical 10-11 remaining slots on the roster.

Thanks.

I still think that the 11 character slots could be used for the most demanded characters.

Pit,MetaKnight,Wario,and Snake are technically new characters,add eleven that's 15 new characters,plus 20 of the old favorites.

I would be more than happy if they had that many characters.Mostly due to the fact that the characters aren't everything the game has to offer.

User33

Smash Journeyman
If there could only be 11 new characters, I would want there to be

Diddy Kong
Krystal
King Dedede
Cel-Shaded Link
Ike
Ridley
Sonic
Sora
Captain Olimer
Balloon Fighter
A Suprising Character

Cool.

FSLMJM

Smash Journeyman
I think there will be over 35 characters but if there were only 35, I'd want these newcomers to make it:

Lucario
Wolf
Krystal
Petey Piranha
Bowser Jr.
Geno
Diddy Kong
Chrono
Ike
Captain Olimar
Anyone else besides Tom Nook and Pichu

gamerpie

Smash Rookie
just as long as Ridley,diddy(alone),and midna (imp form) get in (in that order)i'm happy :)

the grim lizard

Smash Master
First of all, assuming Sheik makes the return, she wouldn't be counted as part of the 35. So, with all of those Melee characters plus the new ones, that makes 23. So, going with 35, that's 12 more characters...

Second, with your list, counting the 5 already announced characters, that would be an extra 12, which would be 17 new characters.

Third, if they were behind in development, I'm pretty sure they'd go ahead and keep all original moveset characters in Melee and may even keep all of them period (i.e., an ICs/G&W/M2 cut isn't likely).

Fourth, on the "behind in development" thing...most of you are too young to recall back to Melee's release (about 6 years ago), but here's a quick reminder: They pulled this thing just like now where they'd release a new character every couple of weeks. And, come to find out, they just released who you started out with at the beginning of the game. Maybe that gives us some indications for Brawl (?). For Melee, they never released information about who the unlockables were. (We didn't find out until the game was released.)

OK, now...onto the fun stuff: Assuming we do in fact have 12 new characters left, here are some likely ones you will see:

King Dedede (Sakurai's wanted him in the past two games)
Diddy Kong (very popular, even on a picture with all of the Melee fighters on the SSBM gamecube)
Balloon Fighter (apparently he was in the beta version of Melee)
Another StarFox character (either Krystal and/or Wolf, duh)
Another of each the Earthbound/Mother and F-Zero series (both have had solo rep for the past TWO games)
Ridley (need I say more?)
Sonic (THE move anticipated 3rd party character, since we've now gone that route...)
Ct. Olimar (he's a brand new series, and heaven knows how much Nintendo loves to blow their own horns ;))

That makes 9 of the extra 12. Throw in another Mario and/or Zelda character or another 3rd party or something else (Starfy?), and I'd have to say I'm still pretty satisfied with the SSBB lineup.

dynamic_entry

Smash Ace
1 dedede
2 ridley
3 ike
4 diddy
5 geno
6 deoxys
7 krystal
8 wolf
9 sonic
10 captain olimar
11 some1 CRAZY

ps. if ridley doesnt get in i WILL cry.

edit: i'm a little iffy about wolf to be honest, especially cos i want falco to return. thats 4 characters from starfox. too many?

Zeela12

Smash Ace
since were on this topic, I have a question, when was it said that there's gona be 45 characters anyways? anyone has the source?

Shuma

Smash Hero
11 Characters Hm? Well i guess it should be something like:

Ridley
Samurai Goroh
Ike
Wolf
Krystal
King Dedede
B. Knight
Lucario
Sonic
Megaman
Diddy Kong

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
I really hope all of these brawl threads are totally owned when the game comes out. Has anyone considered the fact that they may just keep everyone? Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 did that. I was happy with that game. I don't believe there can be too many characters...and don't cut doc!

the grim lizard

Smash Master
I really hope all of these brawl threads are totally owned when the game comes out. Has anyone considered the fact that they may just keep everyone? Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 did that. I was happy with that game. I don't believe there can be too many characters...and don't cut doc!
Sakurai says: "#81-90: 'Sorry. I'm not very smart but I can't tell a lie so I'm just going to write it.
As for the previous game's characters, some of them will disappear. Definitely.

" 'For the last game, we struggled to assemble 26 characters. We tried really hard and unintentionally reached that number.

" 'But, although you'll see characters from the last game, this time, on a significant scale [Yes, this is exact], they will be remade.' ..." (from SamuraiPanda's Translation Thread)

btw...I used to play Doc, too, but they improved Mario in Brawl and apparently are giving him all of Doc's advantages.

-----

EDIT: I don't know if you guys are into this, but this all feels like the NCAA tournament and March Madness: Only X amount can get in; there are a certain amount of "automatic bids"; then there are so many shoe-ins; but then there a ton of characters "on the bubble." It's funny, just everyone trying to figure out what on the bubble characters should get in...

ssbmaster2007

Smash Journeyman
For any of the posts with "Another Pokémon" or something to that effect, I believe I have a good Pokémon for the spot: Lucario.

I have a list of 5 new characters to be part of that 11:

Lucario
Ridley
Wolf
Krystal
Diddy Kong
Some popular character I don't like too much that I can rack up KOs and Damage on with my favourite characters in VS. Mode.

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
hehe, yeah lizard, I honestly did know that their getting trimmed down. I just kinda got frustrated looking at all the "FINAL _______ Character" threads. I mean, at that point aren't you just preaching to the choir? I just thought it would be perfect irony if that happened.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
hehe, yeah lizard, I honestly did know that their getting trimmed down. I just kinda got frustrated looking at all the "FINAL _______ Character" threads. I mean, at that point aren't you just preaching to the choir? I just thought it would be perfect irony if that happened.
I agree. I wish they would bring everyone back; I'd be fine with that.

On second thought...I wouldn't mind losing Sheik, Peach, and Marth...

But, in actuality, the ones from Melee I think will end up going first are: ICs, Doc, G&W, Y. Link, Sheik, Marth, Pichu, and Roy. And, if more stay, ICs are most deserving to stay. (I honestly think the FE lineup is going to change entirely.)

Kunitsuna

Smash Journeyman
Thirty-five seems too low for me; I wouldn´t be satisfied, and I think that SSBB will have more characters than that. Nintendo stated that there will definitely not be more than fifty characters in the game. For the absolute limit to be set that high, I´d predict between forty and forty-five characters. My personal roster is of forty-one.

But if, indeed, the number was forty-five, I´d assume it´d end up being something like this.

01. Mario
02. Luigi
03. Peach
04. Bowser
05. Bowser Jr.
06. Yoshi
07. Donkey Kong
08. Diddy Kong
09. Wario
10. Pit
11. Link
12. Zelda
13. Ganondorf
14. Captain Olimar
15. Pikachu
16. Jigglypuff
17. Mewtwo
18. Lucario
19. Lucas
20. Captain Falcon
21. Marth
22. Ike
23. Fox
24. Falco
25. Krystal
26. Kirby
27. Metaknight
28. King Dedede
29. Samus
30. Zero-Suit Samus
31. Balloon Fighter
32. Li´l Mac
33. Sonic
34. Snake
35. Mr. Game & Watch / Another Retro Character

I wouldn´t kill myself over it, but it´d still be sad.

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
Man, I just want to see Geno. He rocked Mario RPG, and then he was forgotten. Sucks!

Air Jordan

Smash Cadet
If we could have some more characters, i think it should have Ike, Diddy, King Dedee, Wolf,
Sonic, and some more, i just can't think of.

k!llsw!tch

Smash Ace
35 is ok but just let there be good and decent characters, instead of letting spots be wasted. 40 is good though a chance to look around if 35 isn't enough which i highly doubt

pineappleupsetshark

Smash Journeyman
If I had only 11 picks, I'd go with Meowth, Lucario, Wolf, Captain Olimar, King Dedede, Deoxys, Ice Climbers, and I wouldn't care about the last 4.
I have a perfect character list with 40 characters.
I think 40 is perfect.

turbogilman

Smash Journeyman
dude 35 characters would be tight, but just as long as there are 35 completely distinct characters, no clones or shortcuts, every character should be as different as samus and kirby.

but i would be happy with more than thirty five!

just hope third party characters are there, more than snake and sonic, capcom characters please!

Mckillyou

Smash Journeyman
Only 11?? Actually, what am I saying, Melee had 13 more and that still continues to satisfy me. It just wont seem like theres many more because alot of Melee characters are probably going to be scrapped (Pichu, Ice Climbers, G&W)

turbogilman

Smash Journeyman
Ridley. Must be in the game. Must must must. If he's not, i'm not buying it. he fills at least 2 character slots.
wait.... so you won't buy the game if one specific character isn't in the game???

i understand being upset but not buying the game, c'mon you know there will be someone else you want to play that hasn't been announced yet

dynamic_entry

Smash Ace
wait.... so you won't buy the game if one specific character isn't in the game???

i understand being upset but not buying the game, c'mon you know there will be someone else you want to play that hasn't been announced yet
clearly you dont understand how deep ridley-love can go! for metroid fans hes like crack... maybe better...

Top Bottom