• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3 Snakes on a Dojo!

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
I meant "Yes, he (Snake) is a secret character", not "Yes, he (Sakurai) is putting characters on the Dojo". That was a separate interview. Although the two kind of go hand in hand now, don't they?

But now we're on that topic anyway, so here goes. In regards to the "will you reveal secret characters" interview, I seem to recall that the gist of Sakurai's response was "people are going to learn about all the secret characters immediately from the internet anyway, so I would rather they hear it from me with a bunch of fanfare". This interview predated the new-and-improved Dojo by a really long time, so people didn't make as big of a deal out of it as they would have if the same thing were said today, which is probably why it isn't common knowledge now.

Unfortunately the Japanese interview translation thread got unstickied ages ago and seems to have sunk off the forum, so I can't check the exact wording anymore. But the point is, I'm pretty sure that Sakurai has never led us to believe that he wouldn't unveil secret characters, and may very well have implied the opposite. People just tend to assume that he won't because they're hung up on the word "secret".

*sigh*. I really wish that old thread still existed. It used to be the centerpiece of the entire Brawl forum when we had nothing else to go on. I'm sure it would have still been useful today if it were still there.

EDIT: No wait! It DOES still exist! Hooray! http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=72642&highlight=translation

"#251-260: Sakurai in response to an email asking that everything be unlocked as a default = 'Well... that is a tough question. As long as the internet exists, all secrets will be revealed quickly. Sometimes even before the game comes out, even. Secret characters are one of the fun parts of Smash. Although you don't want to find out until the very end, I guess [literally: 'after all,' so there is no doubt in this statement] I'll reveal them. Again, just like "Smash fist" [literally: 'Sumabura ken,' the name of the Japanese SSBM site?] I can't just hold these characters back. '"

Okay, so I guess it's not quite as clear-cut as I remembered it. But the premise still seems to be "the secret characters will be leaked through the internet no matter what, so I might as well reveal them myself".

The poster also says that it was implied by Sakurai that Snake and all other third-party "guest stars" would need to be unlocked, but he never put the exact translated phrasing up.

Dacvak

Smash Ace
Can someone please MP3 this for me? I'm on a PDA at 14.4kpbs and it's really tough to navigate through threads, and Java doesn't work. If there's already an mp3 somewhere, please re-link it for me. Thanks!

~Dac

axemangx

Smash Champion
Tazmily Village, Currently Maining: Lucas and Didd
Why do I have this weird feeling Snake is the ultimate enemy of Peach? o_O

Also, this is one hell of an welcome for a 3rd party character.

I'm expecting a 4 update when Sonic gets revealed :0.

I have this weird feeling, the box is his starting entrance, most likely.

His taunt, I'm not so sure about.

Shadow_Kirby

Smash Apprentice
I expect 5 when Sonic is realeased.
Sonic!!!
Anyway I'm happy he is finally been updated now we can get down to the nitty gritty.
Captain Falcon And Jiggglpuff to go.
Then new characters galore!!!

Dacvak

Smash Ace
Can someone please MP3 this for me? I'm on a PDA at 14.4kpbs and it's really tough to navigate through threads, and Java doesn't work. If there's already an mp3 somewhere, please re-link it for me. Thanks!

~Dac

Please? =D

Shadow_Kirby

Smash Apprentice
Snake Kirby!

Kirby with head band and grenades! Snake! This is cool I predicted Snake Kirby would have grenades....
There is only one thing better than Snake Kirby, Sharingan Kirby!

Shadow_Kirby

Smash Apprentice
Youch! Shot down by a double-poster. :p tee-hee! (Just playin'!)
I was joking... For the most part......
Nice character list but you forgot Isaac

I do believe that Lucas is in!!
Naruto 4 Brawl!

I had a dream I was playing Brawl on survival mode and Fox came running at me then Wolf took him down and we fought! I Won! Wolf Kirby!

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
I was joking... For the most part......
Nice character list but you forgot Isaac

I do believe that Lucas is in!!
Naruto 4 Brawl!

I had a dream I was playing Brawl on survival mode and Fox came running at me then Wolf took him down and we fought! I Won! Wolf Kirby!
I do want Isaac, but I know nothing about him. Saying I'm an Isaac advocate kind of wouldn't make sense.

Lucas will and should be in Brawl.

And I had a dream the other night that every remaining character, other than the ones we already have, were crappy and unimaginative characters from the Mario series (for example, characters like Plum). I woke up a little sick to my stomache and it took me a few minutes to realize that I had only been dreaming. :( Someone hold me.

Shadow_Kirby

Smash Apprentice
I do want Isaac, but I know nothing about him. Saying I'm an Isaac advocate kind of wouldn't make sense.

Lucas will and should be in Brawl.

And I had a dream the other night that every remaining character, other than the ones we already have, were crappy and unimaginative characters from the Mario series (for example, characters like Plum). I woke up a little sick to my stomache and it took me a few minutes to realize that I had only been dreaming. :( Someone hold me.
Hah! LQTM!

Isaac rules!!
Naruto 4 Brawl!
Sonic!!! will and should be in!

PRINCESS PEACH 777

Smash Lord
it would be nice to have naruto....
but i think he will be in the next super smash bros....
which means 4 or 5 years from now

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Mic this is your best thread title yet, haha I lol'd...

Oh snake looks sooooooooo cool. i cant wait to try him out... and.. captain falcon vs snake will be the matchup to end all matchups.. im telling you.. itll come down to a steak eating contest.

Top Bottom