• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide 3.6 Final: The Litt-le Things

Outthere

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3325-3164-3360
Hey Barbie on the next update to the OP include Chevy's elaboration on edgeguarding please. You cover most of it in general but include the 'little things,' such as how up tilt works well on spacies, or the ice mode edgeguards. Thanks.

Chevy thanks for that I've been trying to work on my edgeguarding lately. I went to a tournament last week and got wrecked by another Samus who just had the best edgeguarding ever. He made me realized how lackluster my own edgeguarding was and I want to improve it. Anybody else have any more tips?

Litt

Samus
Hey Barbie on the next update to the OP include Chevy's elaboration on edgeguarding please. You cover most of it in general but include the 'little things,' such as how up tilt works well on spacies, or the ice mode edgeguards. Thanks.

Chevy thanks for that I've been trying to work on my edgeguarding lately. I went to a tournament last week and got wrecked by another Samus who just had the best edgeguarding ever. He made me realized how lackluster my own edgeguarding was and I want to improve it. Anybody else have any more tips?
Outthere its been known since 2005 that uptilt works well as an edgeguarding tool, its not that uncommon of spec knowledge to include against JUST spacies... because if you reread the OP, uptilt is already in there, as for the ice mode fair edgeguards, its literally common sense that its the best option....

Chevy

Smash Ace
Outthere its been known since 2005 that uptilt works well as an edgeguarding tool, its not that uncommon of spec knowledge to include against JUST spacies... because if you reread the OP, uptilt is already in there, as for the ice mode fair edgeguards, its literally common sense that its the best option....
I think I actually agree with this. You should try to keep this guide about the "little things", and not just an all purpose guide on how to play the character, especially given how creative Samus play can be.

Outthere

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3325-3164-3360
Okay that's fine. You guys can keep this guide about the little things as the title suggests but I think that somewhere there needs to be a larger guide to PM Samus. As of now, learning PM Samus is mostly reading this guide and some of the relevant guides on the melee board and then lots and lots of individual messages spread out over this board. So I think that an all purpose guide for PM Samus would be warranted, and would especially help newer players.

Chevy

Smash Ace
Okay that's fine. You guys can keep this guide about the little things as the title suggests but I think that somewhere there needs to be a larger guide to PM Samus. As of now, learning PM Samus is mostly reading this guide and some of the relevant guides on the melee board and then lots and lots of individual messages spread out over this board. So I think that an all purpose guide for PM Samus would be warranted, and would especially help newer players.
That would probably be good. I don't really have the experience to put something like that together, but I'm sure someone would oblige.

Litt

Samus
That would probably be good. I don't really have the experience to put something like that together, but I'm sure someone would oblige.
I have the experience, just not the time really, and thats the fun of learning a character, a search for the treasures instead of them all handed to you on a silver platter (forum post).

Litt

Samus
But seriously, a complete guide of the character is not useful or important, just turning on the game and fooling around with the character you can figure out for yourself the full distance of her recovery, how to move well with her, and her move set. Anything beyond that is the creativity you implement from your own noggin to create new and innovative strategies and combos, I am not going to write up my own list of attack patterns and combos, because they are what I have acquired and made over my time with the character and its why makes my game unique, its how you recognize DynaDash from ESAM, and Pizzacato from Chevy, don't be a carbon copy of one samus to try and achieve the same results, stand on your own two feet as a smasher and make samus your own character :)

Note: Updated OP with OoS options, Grab Options, and added a new option from ledge

Last edited:

pizzacato

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
coda#0
NNID
Pizzacato
But seriously, a complete guide of the character is not useful or important, just turning on the game and fooling around with the character you can figure out for yourself the full distance of her recovery, how to move well with her, and her move set. Anything beyond that is the creativity you implement from your own noggin to create new and innovative strategies and combos, I am not going to write up my own list of attack patterns and combos, because they are what I have acquired and made over my time with the character and its why makes my game unique, its how you recognize DynaDash from ESAM, and Pizzacato from Chevy, don't be a carbon copy of one samus to try and achieve the same results, stand on your own two feet as a smasher and make samus your own character :)

Note: Updated OP with OoS options, Grab Options, and added a new option from ledge
Barbie, you're talking like a grown up. GGs
#levelup
#respect

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
How do I switch between homing missiles and the faster ones?
Please sir, go into training mode and fool around with how you can shoot missile for at least 15 minutes, if at that point you still cant figure it out, i will tell you

Litt

Samus
WOWWWWWW .....WWWWWWWWWWWW one player I will not be respecting or treating with respect anytime soon ;)

Litt

Samus
Aww c'mon, new guys are new. A little pointer never hurt anyone.
Its trial and error, I ask him to give it just 15 minutes of his time to try and figure it out on his own... He refused to even give it a try, I lose all respect for him as a player.... Im not handing anyone ****, especially **** that simple. And yes, a little pointer does hurt someone... mainly us and our time, next time he cant figure out something simple, instead of sitting there and figuring it out himself... meh why bother when I can just post the question here and have it answered by better players. Give a samus the answer for a specific tech skill, he masters that one tech, explain to him how to tech skill, he makes new techs the rest of his smash career.

210stuna

Smash Lord
Lol okay Samus God. You didn't have to answer anything.

I was totally kidding about going to the Brawl boards, BUT I did Google it.
That was only because I did have a practice session with Samus in the lab well over 15 minutes, and I couldn't differentiate between the two missiles 100% consecutively. Instead I started practicing super wave dashing, Zairing, that thing where you fire the charged shot through your body behind you that's not a B reversal, and last but not least, missile canceling.

At this point I came here to ask a simple question I figured all Samus mains would know. Thank you @ pizzacato pizzacato for answering it by the way. I remembered reading somewhere quite a ways back that was the technique, but back then I didn't bother to touch Samus at the very least. I can tell the Samus community is quite friendly and warm welcoming. I can't wait to have some streamed tournament matches up with my Samus for critique :)

pizzacato

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
coda#0
NNID
Pizzacato
Lol okay Samus God. You didn't have to answer anything.
It's just Barbie. He means well, even if he doesn't come off as such. Although I disagree that it hurts anyone, us especially? I have time to explain for 20 seconds for someone who asks politely. It's really no big deal. It doesn't clog the boards. Arguments clog the boards. So let's drop it, and look forward to what else we can solve.

Barbie does have an excellent point here though:
Give a samus the answer for a specific tech skill, he masters that one tech, explain to him how to tech skill, he makes new techs the rest of his smash career.

Narpas_sword

barbie thinks that typing the words

"missiles work like smash attacks and tilts"

is more of a waste of his time than:

"Please sir, go into training mode and fool around with how you can shoot missile for at least 15 minutes, if at that point you still cant figure it out, i will tell you"

+

"WOWWWWWW .....WWWWWWWWWWWW one player I will not be respecting or treating with respect anytime soon ;)"

+

"Its trial and error, I ask him to give it just 15 minutes of his time to try and figure it out on his own... He refused to even give it a try, I lose all respect for him as a player.... Im not handing anyone ****, especially **** that simple. And yes, a little pointer does hurt someone... mainly us and our time, next time he cant figure out something simple, instead of sitting there and figuring it out himself... meh why bother when I can just post the question here and have it answered by better players. Give a samus the answer for a specific tech skill, he masters that one tech, explain to him how to tech skill, he makes new techs the rest of his smash career."

He also doesn't understand that he can just NOT reply and let someone else answer it.

Last edited:

pizzacato

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
coda#0
NNID
Pizzacato

"Please sir, go into training mode and fool around with how you can shoot missile for at least 15 minutes, if at that point you still cant figure it out, i will tell you"

+

"WOWWWWWW .....WWWWWWWWWWWW one player I will not be respecting or treating with respect anytime soon ;)"

+

"Its trial and error, I ask him to give it just 15 minutes of his time to try and figure it out on his own... He refused to even give it a try, I lose all respect for him as a player.... Im not handing anyone ****, especially **** that simple. And yes, a little pointer does hurt someone... mainly us and our time, next time he cant figure out something simple, instead of sitting there and figuring it out himself... meh why bother when I can just post the question here and have it answered by better players. Give a samus the answer for a specific tech skill, he masters that one tech, explain to him how to tech skill, he makes new techs the rest of his smash career."

He also doesn't understand that he can just NOT reply and let someone else answer it.
Drop it.

Litt

Samus

+

+

when someone posts a question on my guide... ill give them my answer... my answer was, its very rudimentary and you should be able to figure it out yourself, should you actually apply yourself, if after 15 minutes you still cant figure it out, ill type "missiles work like smash attacks and tilts"... but for something to come on here and just ask for information when its both out there and its easy to figure out, im going to tell them to put a little work in and figure it out, no one gets good at this game by just asking questions, they get good by applying their minds to both research and tech skill.

However, Narpas, should you make a guide for samus, and it gets pinned on the boards, by all means answer which questions you choose are worthy of your time, and let other sami do what you think isnt worth your time. Myself on the other hand, I try to act as a helping hand, guiding players in the right direction, but I rarely ever give out an answer unless its very specific and not well known, or they have already tried it and dont completely understand. Just I was a little over the top with WOWWW... ect and its trial and error, but that was for more comedic effect, and to get the point across that this guide is for the spec stuff in samus's game that is not well understood or its difficult to apply, thus the title... THE LITTLE THINGS... its not a guide for a compendium of samus meta, neutral and ect... if you want to make that, by all means, go ahead. But if he wanted his question answered and he couldnt find it or figure it out, he should have created a new post to ask it towards everyone instead of on my guide directed towards me. Because he did so, he was answered by the person he asked.

POOB

Smash Journeyman
Yesterday when i was playing friendlies at a tournament, whenever i got hit by a vertical trajectory move at medium-high percent vs characters like marth and mk, i would just get hit by several up airs while trying to get back to the stage. This is one of my weaknesses in my game but since samus is so floaty it is even more apparent. What should i be trying to do in that situation when im just hovering in desperation on the top of the screen? Lol

Litt

Samus
Yesterday when i was playing friendlies at a tournament, whenever i got hit by a vertical trajectory move at medium-high percent vs characters like marth and mk, i would just get hit by several up airs while trying to get back to the stage. This is one of my weaknesses in my game but since samus is so floaty it is even more apparent. What should i be trying to do in that situation when im just hovering in desperation on the top of the screen? Lol
bomb jump to the sides of the stage, try to grab ledge, and from there get back on stage to then reestablish neutral game. Or just keep bombing in the same place on your way down to see if your opponent can even deal with the bombs... sad and funny thing is most low to mid level players cant even deal with that

pizzacato

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
coda#0
NNID
Pizzacato
bomb jump to the sides of the stage, try to grab ledge, and from there get back on stage to then reestablish neutral game. Or just keep bombing in the same place on your way down to see if your opponent can even deal with the bombs... sad and funny thing is most low to mid level players cant even deal with that
Yeah tell me about that! I had to learn that the hard way. MK punishes super hard against samus when you're above, but remember you can crouch cancel ALOT of his moves. MK's dair is a solid pop-up, but you can usually read it coming and punish.

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
Yeah tell me about that! I had to learn that the hard way. MK punishes super hard against samus when you're above, but remember you can crouch cancel ALOT of his moves. MK's dair is a solid pop-up, but you can usually read it coming and punish.
Against samus MK is basically a Kirby/Roy combo, run away and spam missiles (ice is better in this MU), and when MK tries to approach, wall him out with fairs, if metaknight stays grounded, just CC downsmash, or up b OoS, its a really easy match up, you just have to be patient

D

Deleted member

Give a samus the answer for a specific tech skill, he masters that one tech, explain to him how to tech skill, he makes new techs the rest of his smash career.
so i play sheik and something i found a while back is that sheik can do FF through a platform fair, or sh fade ff fair, and both versions autocancel, which at which time sheik can buffer into a crawl backwards. since this is + on shield by 1 frame, is able to be spaced, and sheik has a low crouch, and has access to CC, this is an excellent and perfectly safe way to approach an opponent that respects your aerial approaches or is simply not ready for something that fast. furthermore, to actually hit you, the opponent fundamentally must be holding toward you since crawl lets you retreat, which means that CC dtilt (which already beats aerials) or CC grab both give the opponent auto-bad DI and act as buffed conversions from neutral.

after testing samus for the proverbial 15 minutes, samus can do the same thing due to her morph ball. however, samus as a general rule does not want to be attempting aerial to ground conversions. therefore, the best way to use this is with a land canceled smash missle. on stages with narrow side blast zones, or low platforms, samus can do a land canceled missle and buffer morph ball rolling away, retaining the same benefits. the differences here are that samus's CC game is much better than sheiks, while still making use of CC dtilt and CC dsmash. in the event that the opponent is able to hit both the missle and the crouching, retreating samus, CC dtilt is equally guaranteed bad DI. hilariously, CC dsmash is also guaranteed bad DI, which sends the opponent straight behind you, which is also excellent for a much lower % kill or to set up an early edge guard. i don't know much about ice samus so I didn't really test her options upon CC dtilt in that position. samus also has the added advantage of being able to crawl to a drop off edge grab. you can also fastfall this edge grab if you practice it for all of 30 seconds. also, even if you crawl the wrong way, upon being hit, samus will face the opponent, allowing you to CC dtilt/dsmash the opponent anyway, although this has the added disadvantage of being unable to crawl to a ff edge grab.

since every samus uses LC missles, this just gives you an excellent DI trap that comes up quite often vs opponents that know how to deal with missles properly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Litt

Samus
so i play sheik and something i found a while back is that sheik can do FF through a platform fair, or sh fade ff fair, and both versions autocancel, which at which time sheik can buffer into a crawl backwards. since this is + on shield by 1 frame, is able to be spaced, and sheik has a low crouch, and has access to CC, this is an excellent and perfectly safe way to approach an opponent that respects your aerial approaches or is simply not ready for something that fast. furthermore, to actually hit you, the opponent fundamentally must be holding toward you since crawl lets you retreat, which means that CC dtilt (which already beats aerials) or CC grab both give the opponent auto-bad DI and act as buffed conversions from neutral.

after testing samus for the proverbial 15 minutes, samus can do the same thing due to her morph ball. however, samus as a general rule does not want to be attempting aerial to ground conversions. therefore, the best way to use this is with a land canceled smash missle. on stages with narrow side blast zones, or low platforms, samus can do a land canceled missle and buffer morph ball rolling away, retaining the same benefits. the differences here are that samus's CC game is much better than sheiks, while still making use of CC dtilt and CC dsmash. in the event that the opponent is able to hit both the missle and the crouching, retreating samus, CC dtilt is equally guaranteed bad DI. hilariously, CC dsmash is also guaranteed bad DI, which sends the opponent straight behind you, which is also excellent for a much lower % kill or to set up an early edge guard. i don't know much about ice samus so I didn't really test her options upon CC dtilt in that position. samus also has the added advantage of being able to crawl to a drop off edge grab. you can also fastfall this edge grab if you practice it for all of 30 seconds. also, even if you crawl the wrong way, upon being hit, samus will face the opponent, allowing you to CC dtilt/dsmash the opponent anyway, although this has the added disadvantage of being unable to crawl to a ff edge grab.

since every samus uses LC missles, this just gives you an excellent DI trap that comes up quite often vs opponents that know how to deal with missles properly.
Except samus's nair is also +1 on shield which you can buffer a morphball crawl attack, which allows you to laglessly do any move out of the crawl, which you can go into pivot jab canceled jab pressure, or up smash for a shield poke

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
in the event that the opponent is able to hit both the missle and the crouching, retreating samus, CC dtilt is equally guaranteed bad DI.
I like most of this post, but it's worth noting that DI-ing toward Samus on dtilt isn't particularly bad DI since dtilt pulls the opponent in, so inward DI can turn a free follow-up into a tech chase, depending on the character.

But all in all, pretty cool trap.

Narpas_sword

pretty much anyone other than a fastfaller at low % who DI's towards samus on a Dtilt is ready to eat a Bair or Backwards Fsmash angled if necessary.

Ill give it a try though, ive been trying to go into a boostball to get behind shield, dodging the usual shield grab attempt a lot of players throw out at you the first times you attack their shield (unless they have a good up oos option of course)

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
pretty much anyone other than a fastfaller at low % who DI's towards samus on a Dtilt is ready to eat a Bair or Backwards Fsmash angled if necessary.

Ill give it a try though, ive been trying to go into a boostball to get behind shield, dodging the usual shield grab attempt a lot of players throw out at you the first times you attack their shield (unless they have a good up oos option of course)
jab pressures... keeps them from using OoS options if you are good enough, and since bombs ignore shields in this game, just roll up to your opponent and bomb dair them in shield... its amazing

DoctorFS

Smash Rookie
I think it's worth noting that all of Samus' aerials except fire fair can be done from the ledge with time to regrab. Also, has anyone noticed that a ledgejump on Dreamland gives you a perfect landing onto the platform? Thought it was a neat quirk.

Chevy

Smash Ace
I think it's worth noting that all of Samus' aerials except fire fair can be done from the ledge with time to regrab. Also, has anyone noticed that a ledgejump on Dreamland gives you a perfect landing onto the platform? Thought it was a neat quirk.
The Dreamland jump only works under 100%, but yeah it's pretty cool. Instant shield as you land is pretty strong.

pinkdeaf1

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0387-9018-0614
So i've been using bombs more frequently and the hitstun they provide doesn't seem combo-worthy. Instead, I've only found bombs useful in interrupting ground approaches or providing me that extra aerial mobility. What am I missing? Other than super wave dash, what else can bombs offer me?

Chevy

Smash Ace
Yeah, you can mix up bomb->dair with bomb->bomb if they continue to shield. And then the classic wavebomb into grab/d-smash/f-smash that works even better since they currently hit through shield.

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
On a completely random note, I just now realized Barbie is Klit!? Lol Also did not know it was in reference to a clitoris? Is this right lol? I just thought he was fed up with the boards and vanished then along came this barbie person who acted just like him hahaha.

Top Bottom