• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2014 or 2015

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
It better not miss out on 2014 in general, since that year would be very convenient for Nintendo's and Super Smash Bros.'s anniversary.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I still think that, but I do think it is also true that people can have a different outlook on things. Either way, still am not as wishy-washy as Shortie.

Anyway a lot can be learned from Uprising, the game won't be 64/Melee/Brawl 2.0, betting on Q2/3 2014, etc.
There's nothing wrong with changing your mind. Being a stubborn **** and trying to save face by sticking to an argument even when at heart you know it has flaws is much worse.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
There's nothing wrong with changing your mind. Being a stubborn **** and trying to save face by sticking to an argument even when at heart you know it has flaws is much worse.
Somehow I think I've gotten caught in the middle of one of SheiffChu's gunfights. >_>

Anyway I never changed my mind outside of Q1/2 to Q2/3, mainly I just got a reminder that people don't always share the same opinion.

Ex. Some people loved Uprising, some didn't. So when Sakurai says Uprising is going to be a prime example to follow for what he's working on, depending on your own personal stance, you'll either be in heaven or in hell.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I'm not really sure there were really people that disliked the game. The worst I've seen was people whining about the controls, which seriously was not a big deal at all. Granted I may not have seen too much of what people say about it.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
2014 is very realistic. Both the original and Melee were made in about 10 months while Brawl was about 24 with supposedly around 3/5 of the development being focused on the SSE with another 1/5 dealing with online. There are basically two teams (SORA and Namco) working on each game (3DS and Wii U) so I feel that under these conditions we will be looking at a 2014 late summer/early fall release and clocking in at about 28 months of development if SSB4 has a SSE equivalent.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I'm expecting 2014, 2015 seems to far out it's been development for a bit now and the other smash bros usually took 2 years to produce. I would say this one might be a bit longer but not by much as there's a huge team working on the game and many hands make light work.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I hope they properly plan the release date and stick to it. I hate those delays.

:phone:

Q4 2013 or Q1-2 2014

They need to get the game out pretty quick. Consider the sales of the Wii U and the threat of potential next gen consoles looming. Smash is Nintendo's system seller and they know this, and no Wind Waker remake or Yoshi game is gonna push the system like Smash can.

TheTTimeLives

Smash Cadet
seriously guys? It will probably be out in February or March next year. But I guess we'll all be able to get a better idea of progress come June.

And when June hits this SSB4 board is gonna freakin errupt.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I hope they properly plan the release date and stick to it. I hate those delays.

Couldnt agree more i feel this alot too..i guess its even more murder now GTA V has been delayed untill September 17th 2013... (-_-)

Also ''Renji64'' Best profile picture i have ever seen in any forum :) *waits for reply*

Carolus Rex

Smash Cadet
2015 is out of the question, simply plain impossible.
2013 is really hard but we can hope. April/May 2014 max.

Super FOG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FOG2006
3DS FC
4253-3752-2801
2014. It's Nintendo's 125th anniversary, and that's plenty of development time.
It's also Smash Bros' 15th Anniversary. It would be interesting to see a game non-planned to be a celebrative game coming out in a important year, just like Zelda Skyward Sword.

But I think 2015 a better year for an ambitous game like Smash Bros. Also, Brawl's development started in October 2005 and the game came out in January 2008, I think that two years still is a very short deadline for making a Smash Bros. title.

Powerstars

Smash Apprentice
I'd actually say mid-late 2015 or early 2016. Why? For more content, and a better quality game.

grizby2

Smash Lord
febuary 7th 2015.
*wide smile*
id give'em 2 years. there might be that ONE thing to add to the game that, if they release it too early, they wouldn't get the chance to put it in.
also, it gives pokemon more time to choose a solid new candidate (if they get anymore that is [..yeah probably])

majora_787

Smash Hero
Haven't they been messing around with it for a year already? 2015 and 2016 seem kind of... Yeah.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
febuary 7th 2015.
*wide smile*
id give'em 2 years. there might be that ONE thing to add to the game that, if they release it too early, they wouldn't get the chance to put it in.
also, it gives pokemon more time to choose a solid new candidate (if they get anymore that is [..yeah probably])
No need to delay a game just to add content when they can add it in as DLC at a later date.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I don't know. I think if we give them too much time, they'll get so into the extra stuff at the end that we might just find more things that feel a little tacked on after a while. I mean if it takes roughly two years to make a smash game, and you're given four? That's a lot of time to potentially spend just messing with ideas for the sake of it.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
My money's on a targeted release date of Holiday 2013 which will be pushed back by delays.

The WiiU needs a serious shot in the arm and Smash will be perhaps the biggest system seller Nintendo can field. They will have recognized this a long time ago and begun development appropriately to ensure that the game will be out within a reasonable timespan of the WiiU's launch.

Wheaties

Smash Rookie
I'd say Q1 of 2014 as a minimum. There's almost NO WAY that they could put it out this year. But yes, you're right, Smash is a system seller, so I would say it's probably going out before '15

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
^Agreed.

My money's on a targeted release date of Holiday 2013 which will be pushed back by delays.

The WiiU needs a serious shot in the arm and Smash will be perhaps the biggest system seller Nintendo can field. They will have recognized this a long time ago and begun development appropriately to ensure that the game will be out within a reasonable timespan of the WiiU's launch.
I agree that Smash is definitely a system seller, but considering that both Mario Kart and the next 3D Mario (also system sellers) will be playable at E3, I'd guess that they are in fact closer to release than SSB4 is. My prediction is that, like with the 3DS, both Kart and the 3D Mario will hit this holiday, and Smash a) probably won't be ready this holiday anyway, but b) would probably get pushed into 2014 even if it was, due to the already satisfactory amount of system sellers that will be out later this year (including - to an extent - Wind Waker, and not even counting any possible games unveiled at E3, like Retro's). Honestly I'm sticking with my late 2014 prediction, as that seems like when it would be ready by Sakurai's standards, and even though we don't know Nintendo's schedule that far in advance, if Kart and 3D Mario hit this year, and it's likely Zelda Wii U (not Wind Waker) won't be ready until probably 2015, Smash would be the key system seller for holiday 2014, which is when I believe it's best chances at release are.

Retro's game is probably the most up-in-the-air factor right now in Nintendo's upcoming array of system-selling titles, as I could realistically see it releasing anywhere from this holiday to holiday 2014. I'd guess it'd release in the first half of 2014, giving it space between the two Mario games this year and Smash in Q3/Q4 2014. I could also see the 3D Mario getting pushed to 2014, with Mario Kart looking like the most likely to hit this year (especially if Nintendo predicts it will sell similarly to MK Wii - which was the best selling standalone Wii title). (This is all just speculation ofc).

Either way, there are several upcoming games that would give the Wii U a shot in the arm, namely MK Wii U, 3D Mario, SSB4, and Retro's game (and Zelda Wii U - but that's a ways off) but of those four, I'd say Smash is the least likely to release this year. My guess is spring 2014 at the very earliest, and being delayed into 2015 at the latest.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I think 2014. Nintendo wants the Wii U to push more into the millions. But I think that the 3DS version will release first and then the Wii U version. Considering how both will be connecting and offer somewhat different experiences, think of the 3DS version being Pokemon Red/Blue and the Wii U version being Pokemon Stadium.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Well when you look at the development time for each smash game, they all have a development time of 2 years and some change. So im gonna say late 2013 - early 2014

PIKA321

Smash Apprentice
Please no earlier than Christmas 2014, please, I want this game to be perfect, and no later than Christmas 2015.

Top Bottom