• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2012: Whats going to happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
NOTE: I know I once had a topic similar to this. The main focus of this is to discuss what will happen that year, whereas the last was to determine whether is was a bunch of nonsense or not. If the thread still existed, I would have redone that thread.

Anyways.

Before, I was skeptical, thinking that 2012 was nothing but a bunch of nonsense conspirators took from some ancient Mayan readings. But now, I'm not so sure.

I've been taking Astronomy this year in high school, and a couple things we've discussed and learned about seem to point to 2012 as a year of the happening.

Thing One: Sunspot Cycle Peaking

First discovered in 1610 by Galileo, sunspots have always been a key subject when learning about the sun. Since then, we've learned that the sun undergoes cycles, in which the number of sunspots that appear on the surface steadily increase, reach a peak, and decrease.

A sunspot, for those who may not know, A sunspot is a region on the Sun's surface (photosphere) that is marked by intense magnetic activity, which inhibits convection, forming areas of reduced surface temperature.

I'm going to assume we all know how a magnetic field, such as Earth's is created. The sun can create a magnetic field the same way, except the sun is made of plasma. Therefore, instead of one north and south magnetic pole, there turns out to be many poles in many places. Where these poles are, a connection is made between them, creating an area of less rotational plasma, thus "cooling" it. Of course, the area is still extremely hot, just dark by comparison to the rest of the sun.

Now, a cycle is underway now, and could peak around late 2012, according to estimates. Which brings me to a point: Most solar flares and coronal mass ejections originate in magnetically active regions around visible sunspot groupings. Meaning where sunspots are, these are soon to follow.

A coronal mass ejection (CME) is an ejection of material from the solar corona, usually observed with a white-light coronagraph.

The ejected material is a plasma consisting primarily of electrons and protons (in addition to small quantities of heavier elements such as helium, oxygen, and iron.)

Now, normally CME's aren't a big issue. Earth's own magnetic field protects us, and deflect most of the CME away, or ground it towards Earth's north magnetic pole, generating the Northern Lights.

But here's a second part to it. The solar cycles are a cycle itself. Each peak of strength per cycle can generally get stronger and stronger, hit a peak, the get weaker and weaker, and we're due for a quite a decent one.

Now, CME's can, if an issue, cause some problems on Earth. They generally wreak havoc on electronic devices and can cause them to overload, and break. They can cause massive power outages, overall they just aren't a very nice thing.

But generally, big or small, not a big problem. But here's my part two.

Thing 2: Magnetic Pole Swap

Throughout history, sailors have depended on the North and South Magnetic Poles to guide them whilst at sea. They've been north and south for awhile, and scientists never thought much of it, until not so recently, when scientists examined ancient rocks and discovered that the magnetic pole actually has switched a few times in Earth's history, and is due to switch again. The switch roughly every 250,000 years, and its been 780,000 since out last. We're overdue.

Now, due to this switch, Earth's magnetic field is weakening. It has weakened 10% over the past 150 years, which is extremely significant. Scientists believed a few years ago that this switch would have happened years and years from now, but now recent studies show this magnetic reversal could happen very soon. Some point to as early as 2012.

Some information on it can be found here.

A key quote from here is this:

"It is in this region that the shielding effect of the magnetic field is severely reduced, thus allowing high energy particles of the hard radiation belt to penetrate deep into the upper atmosphere to altitudes below a hundred kilometers (62 miles)," Mandea said.

Starting to piece it together?

Tying It Together
Make this a mental example. A dam is built to protect a city underneath. Overtime, a dam is renovated and kept safe, as to not erode and break. Think of this dam as Earth's Magnetic Field, and the city below as Earth.

Overtime, a dam will weaken. As is our field. A few leaks may spring up in the dam, but nothing seriously dangerous. But as our dam (field) weakens more and more, further and further damage is done to the city, until... well, you know.

A weakening field is EXTREMELY serious. Some scientists say it may not be Magnetic Reversal at all, and that its just weakening. One this is for certain however, it is weakening.

Now, lets go back to our dam. Say somewhere up the river, another dam breaks, releasing a surge of water and pressure on the already weakening dam. This is the equivalent of a massive CME. I'll let you decide what may happen.

Consequences

A variety of things may result:
- A radiation burst may leak through our O-Zone layer, causing many cases of cancer.
- It may alter our own atmosphere, changing its composition.
- It may destroy various satellites, rendering many ways of communication useless.
- A massive outbreak of evolution is generally related with magnetic reversals
- Birds, fish, and any other animals who use the Magnetic north and south pole will be harmfully effected, possibly altering the food chain on a huge scale
-Nothing at all.

And each consequence may have a list of its own. And there could be a mix of any two or more.

Of course, this is all theory. I mean not to scare anyone into thinking the Earth is doomed, because by no means has that been proven, or it that even my belief. I just wished to bring aware and discuss such events.

Whew, that took some time. Now, I'd like to make aware to all that I devised this by myself, while thinking about the two reacting to each other. I see there are many who have thought of the same thing, but I wish to let everyone know that I didn't look into such sites.

Discuss?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Nothing will happen.

Every year some bull**** prophesy claims we will die a horrific death, and none have happened. The 1997 Asteroid never obliterated us, Y2K was a joke, and Nostradamus didn't predict 9/11.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
No.

The only potential problem is what CK informed me of. In 2012, our solar system will align itself with a new view of the galaxy, meaning we may experience potentially fatal radiation which we hadn't experienced before.

We know of fatal exposures to light and radiation from other stars, just haven't experienced all sorts of them. For example, getting hit by a jet of radiation from a Pulsar, ect.

Just because a calendar ends in a specific date, it instills fear, which causes humans to try to make connections with something. We'll by fine by 2012, trust me:).

Hive

Smash Lord
maybe something will happen or maybe not ^^
probably not, but it can be fun sometimes to imagine that something will happen, won't it? ^^
No matter how much sense people use to say that it won't happen I still think it would be a lot funner to be hanging with someone who does think something will happen when 2012 comes :D

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
The only thing I want for 2012 is for Jesus to descend from a beautifully chirpy day with perfectly shaped clouds and moon us, then slowly ascend upwards, into infinity, AND BEYOND!!!!

urdailywater

Smash Hero
Nothing will happen.

Every year some bull**** prophesy claims we will die a horrific death, and none have happened. The 1997 Asteroid never obliterated us, Y2K was a joke, and Nostradamus didn't predict 9/11.
So true. It's not gonna happen. It's NOT going to happen. I hate having to tell people that. It's not going to happen. If it does, then I don't care. I'll be too dead to care.

So many people get freaked out about the fortunes that say the worlds going to end, but then they don't look at the past and realize that prophecies are freakin' ********.
The only thing I want for 2012 is for Jesus to descend from a beautifully chirpy day with perfectly shaped clouds and moon us, then slowly ascend upwards, into infinity, AND BEYOND!!!!
I'd like for this to happen to.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Lol, Jesus coming when we predict it would be SUCH a huge contradiction lmao.
It's like, a whole new Bible oxymoron thing. xD That'd be hilarious.

:093:

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Im sorry like all others, just no.

He, you get to watch the next olympics, vote for president if your from the U.S., and live throught another leap year though 0.o

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Yeah, not to beat a dead horse, but nothing's going to happen, apocalypse-wise. The only thing I see happening is a bunch of crazy morons who believe in it going completely nuts on the 21st of December and doing whatever they can, convinced the world is ending. The Mayan calendar ended that day. So what?! Couldn't they just have gotten lazy? Couldn't they have decided that they had gone far enough, for the moment?

I'm not sure why there are so many people who are pushing this so hard. Do people WANT the world to end? It's just a bunch of conspiracy theories. If it really is true, you shouldn't have to believe the apocalypse is coming to feel like you've done well in your life. If you need the threat of the apocalypse to get you in shape and live life to its fullest...you're living your life wrong.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
You know what I hate about these kinds of people? That they torment the uninformed, and that's no way to be a good citizen of the Earth <_<.

So many people were scared of that stupid "Planet X" crap being true. "Oh, the government(such a touchy word these days, perfect to scare) built a new telescope and they are transferring it to the south pole so people don't know what's going on."

When in reality, there's been huge telescopes there for a long time now studying the heavens. Simply because it is easier to see through the atmopshere at the south pole. Less stuff distorting the image. But of course, add the word governemnt and a negative cause attached to it and all of a sudden you have a group of followers. Just wrong<_<.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Nothing will happen.

The sunspot cycle is approximately an 11-year cycle. If it happens to peak in 2012, that's great, it will be just another one-in-11 year. Anything that "could happen" due to CME's could happen in any other sunspot cycle peak. There is nothing different about 2012.

The magnetic pole shift has absolutely nothing to do with CME's, the particles of which do not penetrate deep into the earth. The Earth's field has to do with electric currents in the liquid core. Not only that but the pole-switching process takes THOUSANDS of years to complete; you're not going to wake up and all of a sudden the poles have switched, and certainly not in 2012.

Also, the Mayans did not predict the end of the world in 2012. It is simply the end of one of their calendar cycles, basically in the same way that 2000 was in our calendar. Don't be a victim of New Age pseudoscience.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
As Hyuga said, its just the end of their calendar cycle, not some doomsday prediction. So while you might have something of an argument with the magnetic field and the sunspot cycle peaking, its likely A. not strong enough to destroy the world. B. Very unlikely to kill off a creature as resourceful as humans, we can all wear lead coats for a couple years and while a lot of people may die, it wont be the end of our species.

Save it, there's already been a thread like that.
He can make another. The old one has been and gone and we have a bunch of new recruits who might enjoy the topic.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
This thread hasn't really brought up much debate, nor will it. Simply put, nothing will happen. I'm closing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom