• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2012 New Year's Tournament! (Prizes!)

PJGLZ

Smash Journeyman
Never mind my entry, remove me from the list, please.:applejack:
Done.

10charlololol

@linkthelost90
The matches will be taking place on the weekends so I believe people will easily find time to get their matches done. My goal is to get at least 2 sets done during each.

DTK.L

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2036-9101-4904
I doubt 32 people will join let alone complete their matches. 18 was a safe number.

:phone:

PJGLZ

Smash Journeyman
I doubt 32 people will join let alone complete their matches. 18 was a safe number.

Meh, I guess 16 will do then. Editing the post.
Edit: Done. Check the post peeps! Matches begin this Friday!

zmx

Smash Lord
I need some time to decide the matchups. Maybe tomorrow.
This is indeed important.

We don't want winner's finals to be one godlike player against a mid level player who got an extremely easy bracket.

Like all tournys ideally we want the best players far away from each other initially in the bracket as possible. The downside of this is that of course, many players will get destroyed round 1 but it's much better than the alternative mentioned above. And they will have a fair run in losers bracket at least.

With that being said how will you be able to determine this? How many people that have entered have you faced?

PJGLZ

Smash Journeyman
This is indeed important.

We don't want winner's finals to be one godlike player against a mid level player who got an extremely easy bracket.

Like all tournys ideally we want the best players far away from each other initially in the bracket as possible. The downside of this is that of course, many players will get destroyed round 1 but it's much better than the alternative mentioned above. And they will have a fair run in losers bracket at least.

With that being said how will you be able to determine this? How many people that have entered have you faced?
This is somewhat true; I cannot accurately judge how good these players are, however. The main focus on matchmaking will be location. We want people to have the best connection possible for the first couple rounds to make it as fair as possible. Towards the end of the bracket I will look into the skillsets of the players here.

DTK.L

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2036-9101-4904
It's a matter of opinion on who is "godlike" or "good" PJGLZ has not fought anyone or spectated any matches from the following entrants so whatever matches come up we'll just have to deal and press forward.

PJGLZ

Smash Journeyman
It's a matter of opinion on who is "godlike" or "good" PJGLZ has not fought anyone or spectated any matches from the following entrants so whatever matches come up we'll just have to deal and press forward.

Yeah, pretty much. Unless you guys have any insight on these players, of course. I've only played Chirp.

zmx

Smash Lord
Yeah, pretty much. Unless you guys have any insight on these players, of course. I've only played Chirp.
I can offer some insight on at least some of these players if you wish. I've played a good chunk of them at some point. And I'm sure at least one other person has played everyone that's entered.

Edit:

But then again this will only work if we can gain insight on every player that's entered. So maybe it's a better idea to do it by location as you've said and just deal with a potentially imbalanced bracket.

Knubs.

ナブ Paquito.
I don't know. It looks pretty stacked where it doubt it'd make much of a difference.
Then again Matt joined. lololol :q

Uh, can I switch Link for Mario?

zmx

Smash Lord
It does look pretty stacked but it being mid tier means a lot of people are extremely limited. I know my mid tier secondaries are certainly nowhere near as good as some of my high tiers.

Then again some people entering main mid tiers. Those are the ones I think you really have to watch out for lol.

PJGLZ

Smash Journeyman
It does look pretty stacked but it being mid tier means a lot of people are extremely limited. I know my mid tier secondaries are certainly nowhere near as good as some of my high tiers.

Then again some people entering main mid tiers. Those are the ones I think you really have to watch out for lol.
I plan on hosting multiple tourneys if this one goes well; time will tell who beats out the rest. I think I'll just base it on location this time.
Edit: @knubs: done

zmx

Smash Lord
For your next tourny may I make a suggestion?

How about not limiting it to 3 characters per person and just going by regular tourny rules? While it's unlikely many people will have more than 3 characters they'll be confident enough to use in tournys there definetly could come a time when they'd want to use an obscure character for whatever reason. For instance, I use nearly every character to some extent and it's certainly possible I might want to switch for a certain MU.

I understand you might want to keep track of character usage for whatever purpose but it can always be mentioned after each set which characters were used.

Either way I know this isn't a big deal. Most people tend to stick to one character for the most part.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Limiting character selection to 3 or so characters is/was a bit of a tradition for the OTL back when it was active. And once the Online Character Rankings picked up speed the purpose of limiting characters was even more appealing.

There's also something to be said of the quantity of Online Tournaments available at one time. Unlike offline tournaments where there are limitations on the time allotted for tournaments to take place in certain venues, and the players have real-life agendas to adhere to, online tournaments are only as limited to however long it takes for someone to finish a match, whether they want to or not. And, unlike offline tournaments which are scattered everywhere at once, a player can participate in any online tournament they want to as long as they sign up on time. As a result, multiple online tournaments can be set up all at once. However, if every single one of those tournaments were designed the same - standard ruleset, all characters, same stages - what benefit would it give a player to sign up for one tournament, when they could just later for another one with the same rules to come up where they can possibly obtain an easier bracket and win?

Online tournaments have the benefit of liberal manipulations on their rulesets like "mid tier only" or "banned stages only" because so many tournaments can be set up for a condensed group of players to play at once. In order to look appealing to a particular group and and get players to sign up for this tournament alone above all the rest, unorthodox rules like "mid tier only, 3 characters each" are implemented.

zmx

Smash Lord
Limiting character selection to 3 or so characters is/was a bit of a tradition for the OTL back when it was active. And once the Online Character Rankings picked up speed the purpose of limiting characters was even more appealing.

There's also something to be said of the quantity of Online Tournaments available at one time. Unlike offline tournaments where there are limitations on the time allotted for tournaments to take place in certain venues, and the players have real-life agendas to adhere to, online tournaments are only as limited to however long it takes for someone to finish a match, whether they want to or not. And, unlike offline tournaments which are scattered everywhere at once, a player can participate in any online tournament they want to as long as they sign up on time. As a result, multiple online tournaments can be set up all at once. However, if every single one of those tournaments were designed the same - standard ruleset, all characters, same stages - what benefit would it give a player to sign up for one tournament, when they could just later for another one with the same rules to come up where they can possibly obtain an easier bracket and win?

Online tournaments have the benefit of liberal manipulations on their rulesets like "mid tier only" or "banned stages only" because so many tournaments can be set up for a condensed group of players to play at once. In order to look appealing to a particular group and and get players to sign up for this tournament alone above all the rest, unorthodox rules like "mid tier only, 3 characters each" are implemented.
Thanks, I understand the rationale behind it now.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
An emergency has come up, and I'll be out of town for the weekend. The earliest I could complete my first match will be on Monday evening.

PJGLZ, since you want the first matches done within 48 hours of the bracket being posted, I won't be able to complete it. I would not be opposed being replaced by someone else, though I would also not be opposed to being given a 24 hour extension to complete it, if you so wish. It's your call to make. I'm just making sure you would know ahead of time.

Alberto1866

Smash Journeyman
I know brackets don't go up till 5:00 but I'll be at work by then so to whom ever I'm up against if it would be okay to brawl today in the evening, since I won't be home all day tomorrow and I wouldn't get back till about Sunday at which time I do not know yet.

PJGLZ

Smash Journeyman
An emergency has come up, and I'll be out of town for the weekend. The earliest I could complete my first match will be on Monday evening.

PJGLZ, since you want the first matches done within 48 hours of the bracket being posted, I won't be able to complete it. I would not be opposed being replaced by someone else, though I would also not be opposed to being given a 24 hour extension to complete it, if you so wish. It's your call to make. I'm just making sure you would know ahead of time.
Sorry that had to come up, but due to the availability of replacements I'll have to replace you (only for the sake of keeping this tourney quick). If you'd like, I can put you on the list of replacements so you might have a shot back at this tourney. Again, that's unfortunate :/
Send me a PM!
lordhelmet will be replacing Lash as of now.

EDIT: BRACKETS ARE UP PEOPLE! GET YOUR MATCHES DONE!

Chirp

Smash Apprentice
Knubs message me or skype me if you have skype. chirp18

zmx

Smash Lord
^Confirming

Pretty darn close matches but I feel like he was sandbagging anyways. I shouldn't come that close to beating a top falcon.

Edit:

I'm really hating my bracket luck. I get the best people first.....
This includes another tourny I did today.

DTK.L

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2036-9101-4904
:ike: > :wolf:
:ike: > :lucas:

Sorry for the lag alberto turns out we started at a bad time my family was watching a netflix movie on the xbox :(

PJGLZ

Smash Journeyman
^Confirming

Pretty darn close matches but I feel like he was sandbagging anyways. I shouldn't come that close to beating a top falcon.

Edit:

I'm really hating my bracket luck. I get the best people first.....
This includes another tourny I did today.
Sorry bro, I didn't intend to match people based on skill (I don't know anyone's power level here). Matchups were based on location so everybody has a decent connection for the most of the tournament. Remember that the better people you play, the faster you improve :)

Alberto1866

Smash Journeyman
:ike: > :wolf:
:ike: > :lucas:

Sorry for the lag alberto turns out we started at a bad time my family was watching a netflix movie on the xbox :(

ohhhh lol guess you beat me to it but its really okay, we both had it so that made the playing field even and if my lucario and your ike are pretty and my lucario is way better than the rest of my characters i probobly wouldve lost either way :p

DTK.L

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2036-9101-4904
Your lucario is actually well trained it gives my ike a hard time but try not to charge your smashes often i have a nasty habit of doing that as well and i've been punished for that also
*cough*ZMX*cough*
we should've done lucario dittos we could learn from each other i main lucario too just ike is my favorite main.

Alberto1866

Smash Journeyman
Your lucario is actually well trained it gives my ike a hard time but try not to charge your smashes often i have a nasty habit of doing that as well and i've been punished for that also *cough*ZMX*cough* we should've done lucario dittos we could learn from each other i main lucario too just ike is my favorite main.

Ohhh i overexaggerated my smash charging that match cause of the lag since i knew id be able to get away with it ;P
but i never knew you mained lucario i cant wait to see it :p

zmx

Smash Lord
Sorry bro, I didn't intend to match people based on skill (I don't know anyone's power level here). Matchups were based on location so everybody has a decent connection for the most of the tournament. Remember that the better people you play, the faster you improve :)
No need to apologize. I just find it kind of ironic. In another tourny I did today my second match was against arguably the best player in the tourny. I always prefer to play with better players because as you said, they help you improve faster.

I really want a chance to use my actual mains more instead of pocket mid-tier secondaries though. I think I might host a no tier limit tourny.

DTK.L

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2036-9101-4904
Sure we can later tonight if you're still around, alberto.

Top Bottom