• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2.B.A. MASTER: The New PT Video Thread

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Tournament this past weekend--

Salty Spittoon 4, 6/2/12

vs. Kismet (Snake, Falco): 1, 2, and 3

vs. AML?! (Mr. Game and Watch): 1 and 2

vs. Micaelis (Wario) and Player-1 (Diddy Kong), teaming with Kismet (Meta Knight): 1 and 2

vs. DRN (Zero Suit Samus) and BigLou (Diddy Kong), teaming with Kismet (Meta Knight): 1 and 2

vs. Player-1 (Diddy Kong): 1, 2

vs. Player-3 (Luigi): 1

vs. Hichez (Lucario): 1

vs. LionArmor (Fox): 1 and 2

Rizen

Smash Legend
^
My recording device and software saves them as MPEGs on my computer then I upload them to youtube from my youtube account. (top right click video upload then browse computer for files). There are other ways but I don't think they can be uploaded directly from the wii.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
F-Tilt. D-Tilt here and there. B-Air. What makes you think you can get in?

Ivysaur and Charizard are generally safer. I tend to start as Charizard in that matchup.

Best bet is to find ways to pressure them to the edge by use of spaced Ftilts (discount these if Ftilt can be shieldgrabbed, not sure if it can) Water gun and such, If the IC's jump to get out of pressure, that's your que to harass them, otherwise they stay at the edge where you can still harass them with Ftilt and can do empty hops with the threat of Fair or Bair to bait something. If you hit with Bair or Fair at the edge, make sure Nana or Popo are close enough to the edge where if they shield it, they drop off the stage so they can't counterattack.

Platforms are very helpful in this matchup.

That's my take on it.

T-block

B2B TST
how does f-tilt stack up against desync'd blizzards?

yeah i've been feeling charizard in that matchup as well, although i don't think i've quite figured it out yet. it really doesn't show in that vid, but charizard usually does better than squirtle for me.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
It doesn't, but, if they have time to desync Blizzard, why don't you just Water Gun them?

Myollnir

Smash Ace
I enjoyed the match. Good PT, as usual. :)

I've just one thing to say if you allow me : using your DJ and landing right next to your opponent is a bad idea, you're kinda "trapped" (see 1:27, 2:22, 2:26 ). Grabbing the ledge or landing further away is a better option imo.
Avoid wasting your DJ in general is a good thing ; and remember, if you're stuck with no DJ left, you can still footstool (Reflex made a very interesting thread on this :bee: )
And maybe you should be more confident with your Ivysaur? :p

MaTA

Smash Ace
NNID
MatisElite
I think that's definitely opinion based and who you are most comfortable with. I think Charizard does better than squirtle vs MK. I think the range plays a great advantage in this MU. Even though he isn't fun being in the air, its not hard to get back to the edge. Plus tornado doesn't really do much because he can pop out of it and if you di it correctly you can follow up with an attack..

Bomber7

Smash Hero
My matches were so short, Cam was able to throw our match into one video. this is how badly I get destroyed by G&W. Match starts at 2:52.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wezlxRzzpLg&list=PLDAB56D3920711A2A&index=31&feature=plpp_video

My comments: After reviewing this video, I've come to these conclusions: my execution was bad. Also noticed a little into the match the match that PS1 was a bad idea. Even though I got destroyed overall, my ground game was much better than my air game. G&W's ability to keep me up in the air has proven how it can throw off my rhythm some. Compared to my history with G&W, I was more patient, however what I should have done more effectively I hope you guys can tell me. I definitely think I could have gotten one stocked if I would have gone PT both times. I noticed my squirtle put to most hurting on M3T, now why I swtiched back to Ivy, I shamefully ignored my conscious and logic. I knew better, which I payed the price for it. Charizard I felt I could have done better, it was my fault for falling for all those things I shouldn't have and I'm sure I could have at least taken another stock off M3T if I had just been more patient. Ivysaur I just couldn't do anything with, at least on PS1 with the platforms, I wonder if FD would have been a better choice?

Here's the next one against Gunner's pikachu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u2vfZ4WZKM&list=PLDAB56D3920711A2A&index=18&feature=plpp_video

My comments: After reviewing I definitely feel I had control of the rhythm of both matches with Squirtle. If anything I feel I need to work on is my SDI. Ivysaur, I feel I could have been evenly matched with him if I had done a few more things and didn't rush so much like I did. Charizard clearly stood no chance, I kept him out there just to see for myself what the extent of my ability would be against pikachu. Overall I feel like if I can get that close to Gunner's pikachu, with a little more work, I don't see why I wouldn't be able to take the next big step and beat him.

I wish you guys could have seen my pool matches but we didn't record pools, there were more entertaining in my opinion (other than the fact I won), I had so many more cool moments in them. Anyway, please give me some feedback. All tips and info are appreciated. I especially need help on that G&W MU. D:

Myollnir

Smash Ace
Okay I'll try to help a bit.

PS1 was a good choice actually (except G&W can do some weird things if you're not careful D: ), but you didn't use it to your advantage. Starting with Ivysaur was a good idea as well, but I feel like you could have done way better by starting with Squirtle (because you didn't play well with her, take your time and don't rush).

At the very beggining, M3t pressured you and forced you to go to the edge of the stage, which is a bad place to be. Btw, don't use Razor Leaf if you're at this distance, you should have been punished, using it when you're close is high risk-low reward.
@2:58 Awesome. You gained stage control by doing this. G&W is now at the edge and can't retreat (he's likely to jump and try to Dair/Bair you). You can now also do retreating aerials so you can play safer.
@2:59 Why did you double jump? It costed you 23% and you lost the advantageous position you gained at 2:58. :(
@3:04 I assume that was a dashgrab, so as you said, it's about execution. :p
@3:07 M3t did the exact same thing, and it worked again. That missed grab cost you ~30%. G&W is in the air when he approaches, so grabbing without a setup is not a good idea imo. What happens next is kind of logical, you're above G&W and you're juggled. At 3:09, Dair would have been a great choice to avoid the Nair, but at low %, it's not safe on hit. :(
@3:16 Bad Bair. Bair has a lot of ending lag, so doing before landing is better imo.
@3:18 The platforms are not where you want to land if you can avoid them. You're asking to be juggled.
@3:21 I don't know why you did a Fair, it has a ton of landing lag, you obviously got punished.
@3:24 Bad timing. You could have punished that. :p
@3:26 Terrible SideB. Razor Leaf is supposed to be thrown towards the ledge so you can grab it. And I don't know where was your double jump after that? @_@
@3:30 M3t has a stock lead and you're with Charizard (sandbag! D: ). You're in a terrible situation right now. You understood it and started to play worse than you used to.
@3:34 Strange Nair. Again, execution. :p
@3:35 Flamethrower would have ***** his dashing to the opposite side + Bair towards you approach.
@3:37 Again, FT was a better option imo. You're now doing panic RS and hope you reduce his lead.
@3:41 Nice Bair.
@3:45 You're both waiting for the transformation now. You can safely switch to Squirtle, who does quite well against G&W. And Ivysaur is immediatly after him if you die. You choosed not to switch, personnal preference, I guess (oh, btw, I'm not saying that the decisions I would have made are better than yours, I'm just saying what I consider to be the best options).
@4:11 You're starting to be impatient because of your stock deficit and you eat his NeutralB. :(
@4:13 USmash OoS maybe? Afterwards -> Zard is easy to juggle, as seen here.
@4:17 You managed to land and shieldgrab. Good job! :)
@4:20 Risky, but okay! :p
@4:25 Omg, he's asking to be Rocksmash'd + USmash with your other double jump and you die. Sad :(
@4:35 I guess that was supposed to be a Fair. Execution! :(
@4:37 You have no double jump now. Don't land next to him, that's asking for a smash. He chosed to jump so you were lucky. :p
@4:39 You still take a Dair. This aerial is really annoying for Squirtle imo. Rolling was a nice way to avoid it, but you did nothing and got shieldpoked.
@4:43 Really nice spacing with your Uair.
@4:45 You wasted your double jump and got juggled afterwards. You played very well then.
@5:16 G&W is really scary on a slope. You were at the right distance, I don't know why you dashed. Charging a FSmash and releasing it to punish his smash dtilt would have been nice.
@5:18 Terrible landing. Do not land next to G&W if you don't like his smashes.
@5:22 Same mistake. You die.

I hope I helped you. I'm sure you didn't play at your real level on this match. :)

Rizen

Smash Legend
@ Bomber, I can help you with the G&W MU sometime if you want.
BTW, 2nd fall G&W Usmashed which is slow but has insane power. (Like with Mario's Usmash) the top of G&W's head has brief invulnerability during the actual attack frames. Never challenge it from above without a great disjointed attack; only the neck and body of G&W are vulnerable and must be hit before the helmet hits you.
G&W shuts down PT really well.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
@ Myo: Thanks for the play by play, I just finished watching the video while looking up where your comments referred to. Overall my mistakes did come from execution whether I full hopped or double jumped when I didn't want to or I just used the wrong move at the wrong time when I didn't want to, or even switched like I did at the end. It was very helpful. To be honest, the night before, I had a super crash course to train my squirtle to get some confidence so I would be ready for that tournament and it obviously paid off. I wish I had played more so I could show you the full extent of Charizard and Ivy but sadly no, but since I do have the Alabama Recording Program, I can post videos more easily now and get them critiqued. Sunday I felt like I was at the top of my game. Keep in mind I've been slowly crawling my way back up in skill since I picked Brawl up again after having quit for a whole year. I definitely feel like I will be able to push my skills further and I will achieve better results in the near future. I don't feel like I have that big of a wall to overcome anymore.

@Rizen: Do you have a skype account or something? I'm on it all the time, we could talk more about the G&W MU. As soon as I figure out why my TV is being stupid, we could wifi sometime. I'm going to try and fiddle around with my TV this weekend to figure out what's up with it. It was fine the other day before I unplugged my wii from it to go to the tournament. ._.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Your Charizard is insane. I will definitely model mine after yours. I like the mobility yours has. Mine is good, but I definitely say you outperform me. The only thing I noticed is that you like to gamble to Charizard's up-B for a KO move. A little risky. Nice matches. Good study material for me.

MaTA

Smash Ace
NNID
MatisElite
Yeah if the Up-B option is there I'll go for it if I know I'm at a safe percent. But thanks though, I know he wasn't the most difficult opponent but still fun to watch. I think im going to a tournament in a couple weeks and will try to get some new vids online. Im talking to a guy in my crew to upload some vids off his wii but he's kind of lazy :p

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Well since there's very few activity on this board atm, I thought it could be interesting to post a recent video of me : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWUBQvrTboE&feature=plcp

Critique/feedback please? :D
For right now this is what I have to say.

You tried way too hard to read ZSS jump into your uair and dair. You made it evident you were expecting her to jump after you were knocked airborne. I can see your reasoning behind it because ZSS jumps around a lot, but after the second time failing, you should have stopped doing it. After a while of not trying to dair/uair immediately after being hit into the air, you probably would have gotten away with it.

With squirtle, you got too reckless with your approaches which ultimately led to you getting KO'd. I also have to say, be careful when and where you try to momentum cancel. I noticed a couple of times, you did it and it left you wide open to ZSS's attack.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Great PT :) are those French voices? Several Japanese/French voices sound better than the English voices. 'Gorillaz Battle', awesome :)

1st game you played in ZSS' strong areas; challenging her buy approach too high above her and playing at mid range. More detail below.

IDK the PT/ZSS MU but I do know how ZSS thinks. The first half of the 2nd game on BF you played extremely well, that's how to fight ZSS. Her strong points are juggling and her air game when she's on the offense and mid range combat. She's weak when caught above the opponent and, despite having a frame 1 jab, loses at close range. Your squirt punished landings which his shield grab is great at, and kept pressuring her and forcing bad spacing. Nice edgehog too, ZSS has a good recovery but becomes vulnerable when forced to recover low.
Good use of her power suit pieces. With those I either throw them offstage or keep 1 depending on if they help my character as much as ZSS or not.
Ivy spaces more like ZSS and loses at it. Squirt's the best choice for pressuring her. Too bad Ivy is gimped so easily :( . You played well but that gimp turned the tide of battle.
I imagination Char gets juggled bad so swapping made sense. It did give ZSS free damage though.
The ending was unfortunate. ZSS' Dsmash has a surprisingly big attack area. I climb/hop off ledges into attacks sometimes too when trying to punish their ending lag :(

Myollnir

Smash Ace
Thanks Bomber!
You're right, I always momentum cancel, it's a reflex. :(

@Rizen : Yes, those are French voices. They're quite bad actually ; the Pokemon Trainer has an extremely gay voice. :laugh:
Thank you for your comment. :)
I played really bad with Ivysaur/Charizard.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I should have videos from this past weekend up by tonight. I'm going to get my hands on my friend's dazzle and start recording.

Don't expect anything too great. It was an all casual tourny (for the exception of me and 3 others). I couldn't take it too seriously so I didn't perform the way I wanted to, so you'll see me taking more hits and doing more stupid stuff against casuals. Shame on me. But you guys might enjoy the match I played against MK. Probably my lulziest/derpiest match just because I got hit so much while I was Charizard and just wouldn't die until I hit 191%.

As for the serious matches (against Wario and Diddy), I did have a few flukes, which I'll explain later. I don't play these guys too often so I really just made the matches a learning experience. Though I am proud of how much of an improvement I had fighting Wario, I did less jumping into him and actually getting hit legitimately. Though there were so many times I noticed when I went to go follow up with something that I thought I could get away with but I guess Wario beat me frame wise, which I will try to remember to point out during the matches.

I'll share more of my thoughts with you guys when I actually get the videos posted.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I should have videos from this past weekend up by tonight. I'm going to get my hands on my friend's dazzle and start recording.

Don't expect anything too great. It was an all casual tourny (for the exception of me and 3 others). I couldn't take it too seriously so I didn't perform the way I wanted to, so you'll see me taking more hits and doing more stupid stuff against casuals.
^I got a dazzle recorder, the software was terrible and the sound stopped working.
This works better IMO http://www.ionaudio.com/products/details/video-2-pc-mkii just FYI.

I play worse vs bad people, my brain auto turns on sand bag mode:urg:.

Recent vids:
Falco
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGuXb8aEoaY&feature=plcp
Thanks for the tips everyone. They helped a lot. The ending disappoints me.

Marth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_S9P0n2BbA&feature=plcp
Not great for critiques. I feel like I'm using 'all' of the pokemon's move-sets properly/better. Edit: except smashes; Several of my characters could use smashes when I did but PT shouldn't have. Char/Squirt's lack of power feels off and I fish for smashes. Also I subconsciously use squirt's Fsmash like an armor-frame counter type move (Wario's Fsmash/DK's punch/Ike's Eruption etc) but it's not the best for that.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I gave the vids to a friend and he said he's record and upload them so they will probably be up this week.

Also how much does that cost?

Edit: Wow you played Kingtoon? So lucky. I wish he would have played TL. Though TL sucks on wifi. It looked like you two were struggling to fight on wifi, was it laggy?

Rizen

Smash Legend
^The replay you see shows how the lag was.
I've beaten his TL and Falco a few times with Link and a few other characters but don't have the vs TL replays.
Those were some where I played better because he was a great opponent :)
Edit, IIRC I bought the capture device at best buy for $50ish.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
^The replay you see shows how the lag was.
I've beaten his TL and Falco a few times with Link and a few other characters but don't have the vs TL replays.
Those were some where I played better because he was a great opponent :)
Edit, IIRC I bought the capture device at best buy for $50ish.
Yeah, good thing it was wifi or all you'd hear from me would be. "WHY WOULD HE DOOOO THAAAT?" "ARE YOU SERIOUS?".

You also had like 5 chances to ledge steal that marth with ivysaur. I guess the lag was bad because I felt like you could have done so much more.

Rizen

Smash Legend
The lag was only a second or 2 out of a 3:39 game. I should have mentioned that it was 3AM and we were tired lol.
I don't know the Falco MU with PT, which is why I posted anyway. I need to learn it.

Top Bottom