• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2.6 impressions so far

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
No SD card atm but did they do anything to Dedede?
Fair feels faster?
Waddle Toss (With the A button) has less cool down
He has some sort of hitbox with SDJ when he starts it and as he goes up. Kind of/sort of connects into the spike.
IASA on Dthrow lower?

I'm absolutely loving PM 2.6 guys <3

CalvinWars

Smash Apprentice
I'm really liking it so far except for Link's boomerang. I'm a Link main, and have been since Melee, and Link is better in many ways, but the boomerang is not one of them. The animation is wonky and where Link's hands are when the boomerang is released and where the boomerang is actually released don't match up. The return of the Ocarina of Time design doesn't fit with the leaf/other Gale boomerang effects, and the boomerang is much less effective now. It doesn't fly far enough even with a smash-B to properly poke your opponent from range and, when you are in range, it isn't strong enough to actually stop them in their approach. The added speed means it spends little time in the air, thereby removing it as an option to cover a retreat from an approaching player. The reduced range means it can't reach nearly the same amount of angles and areas the old boomerang could, which also limits Link's options. The boomerang is not an improvement. Other than that though, I'm liking Link's speed buffs, but the boomerang is impeding me from calling 2.6 Link an improvement.

As far as other characters go, I'm really happy with them. Ganondorf is my secondary, and I'm really liking his new uptilt. Captain Falcon, I don't know why, just feels better. It's like he's 1:1 with Melee now. I would have liked to see Ness buffed a little more, but I'll take what I can get. It's going to take me awhile to get used to Lucas' Brawl Aerials, but other than that, Lucas feels much better. It's like he's slippier while being more precise. I'm also liking Ivysaur's changes. The rest of the characters I play (Spacies, Marth, Ike, Lucario, Pit, and Toon Link) feel the same, although I've yet to really try out Lucario and Pit yet. Meta Knight is a good character, but he's not really my thing. For stages, I'm really liking Lylat Cruise now that it doesn't tilt. I don't understand why though you changed Skyloft. The Hyrule Field theme doesn't fit the stage nearly as well as Ballad of the Goddesses. Also, much of the time the time you play on the stage has simply a sky background instead of the actual town like the old Skyloft. A minute or so in the platform clearly clips into a building.

Overall, 2.6 is a good update, but Link's boomerang and Skyloft could use some changes.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I don't understand why though you changed Skyloft. The Hyrule Field theme doesn't fit the stage nearly as well as Ballad of the Goddesses. Also, much of the time the time you play on the stage has simply a sky background instead of the actual town like the old Skyloft. A minute or so in the platform clearly clips into a building.

Overall, 2.6 is a good update, but Link's boomerang and Skyloft could use some changes.
we replaced skyloft's song for copyright reasons, we'd rather have ballad of the goddesses too but we'd also rather not receive a C&D.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Was DeDeDe's side b always that slow to end?
Is diddy's up B supposed to create a "ledgegrab bubble" ten feet above him when he edgespots?
Is Charizard supposed to be unable to jump after gliding while Pit still can and also can attack out of it?

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
I'm pretty sure someone from the PMBR confirmed on a stream a day or two ago that it's not that his fireballs are faster, but that he can act of of the fireball animation faster now.

Well that and he can throw more of them in the span of 2 seconds. I never said the Fireballs themselves were faster.

Felt the exact same way going from 2.1 sonic to 2.5 sonic. Spent months and months practicing and mastering SideB WD and the Homing Attack Cancels. Only to have it taken away.

It honestly makes the character unplayable. Your hands will try to do the same **** but none of it will work.

This is probably terrible advice, but I'd recommend just not playing Sonic anymore. I had to learn a new character - went with wolf. He turned out to be a lot of fun and probably improved my overall smash game.

It doesn't make the character unplayable, but it makes Sonic feel different and less like Sonic. His attacks don't feel fluid anymore and he can't put on an effective pressure or do an effective bait and switch without the wavedash out of Spin Dash anymore. His side B in the air no longer helps Sonic recover. He just can't combo into anything except for a Spin Dash, jump, and then an aerial A attack combo.

I'd really rather not stop playing Sonic, but this is really putting a dampening on my tournament mindset as I had planned to learn Mario, Sonic, and Link for WHOBO 5. Now, I'm down a character with only 3 months left to practice. There's a difference between balancing and nerfing and what they did with Sonic isn't balancing.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I'm really liking it so far except for Link's boomerang. I'm a Link main, and have been since Melee, and Link is better in many ways, but the boomerang is not one of them. The animation is wonky and where Link's hands are when the boomerang is released and where the boomerang is actually released don't match up. The return of the Ocarina of Time design doesn't fit with the leaf/other Gale boomerang effects, and the boomerang is much less effective now. It doesn't fly far enough even with a smash-B to properly poke your opponent from range and, when you are in range, it isn't strong enough to actually stop them in their approach. The added speed means it spends little time in the air, thereby removing it as an option to cover a retreat from an approaching player. The reduced range means it can't reach nearly the same amount of angles and areas the old boomerang could, which also limits Link's options. The boomerang is not an improvement. Other than that though, I'm liking Link's speed buffs, but the boomerang is impeding me from calling 2.6 Link an improvement.

As far as other characters go, I'm really happy with them. Ganondorf is my secondary, and I'm really liking his new uptilt. Captain Falcon, I don't know why, just feels better. It's like he's 1:1 with Melee now. I would have liked to see Ness buffed a little more, but I'll take what I can get. It's going to take me awhile to get used to Lucas' Brawl Aerials, but other than that, Lucas feels much better. It's like he's slippier while being more precise. I'm also liking Ivysaur's changes. The rest of the characters I play (Spacies, Marth, Ike, Lucario, Pit, and Toon Link) feel the same, although I've yet to really try out Lucario and Pit yet. Meta Knight is a good character, but he's not really my thing. For stages, I'm really liking Lylat Cruise now that it doesn't tilt. I don't understand why though you changed Skyloft. The Hyrule Field theme doesn't fit the stage nearly as well as Ballad of the Goddesses. Also, much of the time the time you play on the stage has simply a sky background instead of the actual town like the old Skyloft. A minute or so in the platform clearly clips into a building.

If you are using rang in the same manner that you were using it before, it will seem worse. It's pretty much objectively better though, 2.5 rang was next to useless >_>. You aren't supposed to use it to harass your opponent from far away now, check this out: http://smashboards.com/threads/link-2-6-developer-insight-p-m-on-show-me-your-news-7-16.338638/
I would say Link's rang is his biggest improvement by a large margin.

Darkgun

Smash Journeyman
Gah, with the next week being exceptionally busy, I'm may not be able to get 2.6 for a fair bit. So...
Let's find some Lucario changes!" -Darkgun
So we go to the Lucario board and find... NOTHING. Darn. O.K....
Oh oh! Maybe the patch notes-awtheirnotupafterall. Right.
Let's try first impressions thread.... Well, there's a good bit of Sonic in here, it seems. And the word Lucario mentioned twice, not including quotes.
Heh heh, until I can properly get my hands on 2.6, I'm playing Project M: Text edition.

Aenglaan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aenglaan
3DS FC
0559-8074-9911
Has anyone fought against a Level 9 Jigglypuff yet? Because you should.
When she first used rest, I was shocked, for better and for worse.

Meta Knight is no where as broken as anyone thought he was going to be, and I enjoy the changes to Link's play style (even though the Ocarina of Time boomerang is unfitting for a Twilight Princess Link).

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
On mine, Jiggs landed 3 random rests in one match. Sure she missed a few, but she seems bloodthirsty for them now.

She hit me with 3 out of 5 or 6 attempts, the most impressive one being mid Fox Illusion.

Mithost

Smash Ace
Locked in a safe floating in the Atlantic Ocean.
You can press down B during your glide to recover back to your normal air animation. From that, you can use any jumps you have left and your Up B, but I'm not sure about other aerials (have not thoroughly tested it because of how awesome ganon and Ivy became)

ItalianStallion

Smash Journeyman
You can press down B during your glide to recover back to your normal air animation. From that, you can use any jumps you have left and your Up B, but I'm not sure about other aerials (have not thoroughly tested it because of how awesome ganon and Ivy became)
Oh, so maybe Kink was joking? Had me worried there for a second.

ItalianStallion

Smash Journeyman
Well, you can't exactly "jump" out of your down B, you have to press down B again and go through a fairly long animation before you can jump.
Oh! Nevermind. Kink was asking why Zard can't do the stuff out of glide Pit can do, like attack directly out of it and jump out of it. I misunderstood. If the glide is the same as in 2.5b, then I will be cool with it.

Nevergreen

This Subreddit Sucks
NNID
Nevergreen
3DS FC
0817-3854-3643
Well, you can't exactly "jump" out of your down B, you have to press down B again and go through a fairly long animation before you can jump.
Just tried that, couldn't jump afterward even after giving Charizard plenty of space to fall. I'm also having issues with Falcon's Turnaround Punch. It only works sometimes on the ground and I can't use it at all in the air.

EDIT: Same problem with Ganondorf's neutral-B.

EDIT: After more finagling in training, both characters' reverse punches can be used in the air as well, but executing the first turn often does not work.

AncientPancakes

Smash Cadet
For those of you complaining about Sonic nerfs, you need to remember that we haven't even had the game for a full day. Just because he can't downB his way to victory without a second thought doesn't mean he's unusable.

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
Why, just why did so many people ask for nerfs on Sonic instead of giving him more intuitive mechanics. I honestly find it hard to believe that anyone can call him "unplayable", so early in the demo, but I feel that we missed out on many big opportunities. I wouldn't give up on 2.6 though, just see what you CAN do that relates to an actual metagame instead of complaining about any spin spam combos that you can't. He has standard attacks too guys. T.T

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I feel like this zard thing is in the same boat as Pit's side B change in 2.5. Something designed to "fix" a recovery non-issue that affects his on-stage game more than it does anything else.

I demand that Peach's float take away her double jump.

Mithost

Smash Ace
Locked in a safe floating in the Atlantic Ocean.
My friend is a Charizard Main, so I'll ask him to test out everything then.

My only real complaints about P:M (outside having to refit my custom stuff) is link's boomerang. It's amazing now. It hits strong on both the way there and back, it's really quick, and it juggles people if you catch it. My only issue though, is the changed animation/model. Both are out of place (the boomerang clips through link's arm for 50% of the animation) and feel really weird when trying to follow onstage. It looks like it is flying vertically instead of horizontally. It's a shame it looks so shoddy, because I still plan on using it a lot.

It seems like 2.6 was the christmas time for the mid tier characters. They got everything they wanted for christmas, but nobody got spoiled.

-Ivysaur is amazing. She got everything she needed to be that A Class character. A tiny bit more stage control here, an aggressive approach option there, a tiny bit faster all around.
-Game and Watch embraced his random side with the new super bacon and hammer changes.
-The dark knight himself, Meta Knight, finally arrived in a ridiculously fun to play and balanced version of his brawl self. He reminds me of Wolf's branch off from the spacies.
-Oh my god Ganon's new uptilt is devastating. It is a really cool followup to Side B if you read the opponent's teching and DI.
-I have no idea what changed with DK, but he is bigger, faster, and stronger too.

Every other character I ever knew how to play recieved nice complements as well. Sonic is still in good condition.

ItalianStallion

Smash Journeyman
Gliding with Zard takes away any jump he had before. You can still cancel the glide by hitting jump, and then act/airdodge/up-b, but not jump.
Hmmmmm.....I really don't like that. Like Kink says, this wasn't a recovery issue. This change actually impacts his on stage game a ton more than it does his recovery. I'll have to play for myself to completely decide how I feel, but unless they gave Zard something cool to compensate, I'm not too sure of the reasoning to take that aspect of his game away.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
I'm wanting to wait for the changelist to make full-on complaints, for all I know he could have a bunch of things buffed but... why would you nerf zard? was he considered too good in the PMBR despite there being like three successful zard players total? I am so confused

ItalianStallion

Smash Journeyman
I'm wanting to wait for the changelist to make full-on complaints, for all I know he could have a bunch of things buffed but... why would you nerf zard? was he considered too good in the PMBR despite there being like three successful zard players total? I am so confused
Well, in terms of successful, we can't say too much. There isn't a real tournament scene yet, so success really comes down to how many people have seen you play. For example, I consider myself to be a pretty good Zard player, but I haven't been to any Project M tournaments because there isn't that many at all.

But yeah, I haven't played yet so I may be eating my words later, but I don't see a reason to nerf Zard. Zard was definitely really good in 2.5b, and I didn't really think he needed any more buffs, but I also didn't think he needed any big nerfs either.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Hmmmmm.....I really don't like that. Like Kink says, this wasn't a recovery issue. This change actually impacts his on stage game a ton more than it does his recovery. I'll have to play for myself to completely decide how I feel, but unless they gave Zard something cool to compensate, I'm not too sure of the reasoning to take that aspect of his game away.
Charizard's ftilt can now be tilted up, his fair seems to be buffed, his dash attack is faster and can combo into itself, and his fsmash seems stronger and slightly less laggy at the end. So, they did give him more buffs, he didn't just get nerfed. Personally I can see how losing jumps would be an issue but I think it can be worked around with well timed glide cancel dodging and fastfalling.

ItalianStallion

Smash Journeyman
Charizard's jab can now be tilted, his fair seems to be buffed, his dash attack is faster and can combo into itself, and his fsmash seems stronger and slightly less laggy at the end. So, they did give him more buffs, he didn't just get nerfed. Personally I can see how losing jumps would be an issue but I think it can be worked around with well timed glide cancel dodging and fastfalling.
Thanks man! Those changes sound pretty cool! See, I feel like I am already eating my words.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
The issue I take with it has nothing to do with its effect on recovery. Mixing up your recovery option doesn't make him able to apply pressure above the stage. That's what the real utility is in being able to jump after ending the glide- being able to use it after any of Charizard's numerous launchers to finish up with a strong read mid air: Superjump, glide, wait, double jump read for hopefully an off-the-top kill. Forcing a more predictable set of followups, of those that still exist, makes for a less rewarding set of reads and feels extremely janky from a gamefeel standpoint.

Dash attack buff is nice though.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
I think that might be the point though- he can pretty much pressure everywhere else besides when he is gliding (assuming top level play). Yes, the gliding nerf takes away his pressure options up there, but he just got more pressure options as buffs in general. Get a weakness, get some more strengths. That's just the way I see it, to be honest.

Oh, sorry! I'm used to this website being a sausage fest.
It's all good, no worries :p

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Also Squirtle's new side B seems even harder to control than it was originally lol

In 2.5 it could be started right near the edge (Both grounded and in air since it fell so fast). Now it seems to hover him mid air more and turning around when near the edge causes him to just slide off to his death.

At least his U-smash didn't get nerfed?

Top Bottom