• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

118 Pikachu Tricks (Added Skullbash Edgeguarding)

Semmick

Smash Journeyman
I really don't know if this is actually useful, but when recovering with a Skull Bash, you get the same momentum, but you can attack out of it. For example, you could Skull Bash>Tjolt and you would be traveling as fast as the Tjolt. My favorite one is Thunder, because it creates a wall that kinda surprises people.
Kinda helpful against MK's, IMO.
Idk what someone would call it, though.

SilverSpark

Smash Journeyman
I just took out a 2100 pt MK on AIB with the QAC to Falling Skull Bash if that'll help you guys learn to use QAC to falling attacks :] Must I beg? Please use them! T_T They'll really help your game if you want to get some easy KO's or edgeguard more efficiently.

By the way, I have another situational trick with maps like Brinstar and LM. It's similar to matrix thunder in that once something hits Thunder, there's a lot of lag when the lightning hit's Pika, but the hitbox remains. Edit: This has been stated on the stage discussion index, but I'll still state it here since it's a trick.

Basically, you use attacks on stage obstacles to lengthen the time that the hitbox of your attack lasts. For example, I KO'd a ZSS because the hitbox for Thunder stayed out much longer when I hit that weird goop that holds the platforms together on Brinstar. You can D-air that gunk on the main platform of Brinstar and see that it lasts an additional 1-2 seconds.

I'm sure some of you may have rushed into Ike's Up-smash while it was supposedly about to end, but since he was also hitting the goop, the hitbox stayed out longer = you lose one-stock.

So basically, you can use any smash (and F-air, D-air, and B-air) to mindgame your opponent into thinking that your attack's going to end early and then rake in some easy %. Just practice it on stages like brinstar and you'll see. OH, and Pikachu's thunder lasts like 5 seconds when you get hit by the lasers on the lower part of the ship of Corneria.

Here's another trick. You can also use Skull bash on the platform goop while trying to recover to fool your opponent to thinking you'd actually go through the goop (most people don't have experience with brinstar, so they wont notice and may move away from the edge to hit where you would end up :]), so you can recover more easily.

Oh, and here's an addition to Daze Slope Cancel. If you want to surprise your opponent on a map like Brinstar (other stages include Yoshi's Island), just go to either edge of the middle right platform, break your shield, and you'll be back to your free state, meaning you can immediately attack, grab, run towards your surprised opponent, etc.

And another addition to Laser Light Show - you can use T-jolt it on both of those platforms on the ends of Jungle Japes. It pwns when edgeguarding or trying to make an electric shield around yourself. Maybe fire it one way then fire it another? Do whatever you want! Just try it :]

1 more thing... You can fly under Corneria with Skull Bash/QA :]

SilverSpark

Smash Journeyman
Yay! Someone posted. Everyone keep posting, please :)

Right now, I'm working on seeing which characters are more susceptible to Aftershock on certain stages. They work best on stages with platforms, and it's easy to set up if your opponent's standing right below (or jumping into) the platform where the thunder hits.

Aftershock does up to 40% damage (where the person gets hit 4 times). Yeah, that's like getting hit with the blue thunder ~2.5 times! It usually does 20%-30% (2-3 hits) though.

On Battlefield, I've found it to work on these chars while they're standing: D3, Snake, ROB, Link, CF. It doesn't work on Samus so well - I'm assuming because she's a floaty. It's REALLY easy to do on D3, by the way :)

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Aftershock is the thing at the very end of the thunder which has a lot of hitboxes right?

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
Aftershock is when the small explosion from thunder hits them and propels them upward into the rest of the thunder's rods. It's like kinda like Pikachu's Melee Thunder, but upside-down. o_o

SilverSpark

Smash Journeyman
So I was experimenting awhile ago and you can Dive under the giant rock on Pirate Ship. Once you're under it, you can jump up and down through the rock. Pika = Ghost/Rock Type.

You can also Dive from one end of the ship to the other when you have the Star.

Btw, Fly is awesome.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
I want to bring up a common glitch that (right now at least) results in random 0% ko's. I am pretty sure some of you have done this by accident one way or another but here it is:

1) Similar to wierd-butt mario cape glitches.
-Have blue thunder hit certain super moves (invincibility frame we are hypothesizing) of other characters
-If the invicibility frame has momentum with it, then pika will still matrix and lag, but the other person will fly in the direction of the momentum, and i do mean FLY!.
-It literally look like the opponent did their move but either died off the top of screen, side corner of screen, or just really high offscreen but still alive.

I first did this sparring with my friend who plays samus all the time. He did an aerial up-b and i did thunder, he flew off the screen upwards and was not hurt by my thunder. Sometimes he actually died (i think it was with a short ceiling stage) but most of the time he just dangles back down.

***I did this to an SL'ing MK at a NC state tournament and got a free stock on Brinstar with aid of Matrix. The MK SL'ed off the top right of screen and he didn't see where on earth he went. Its like, BOOM and MK is instantaneously gone (freakin' teleported, lol)... no trace except for maybe the offscreen circle avatar indicator. Really funny, even when he cancelled the glide, he couldn't stop himself from falling off and dying.

I've gotten it like 7 times in battle already and it shouldn't be hard for me to put up a vid. I was wondering if combined with G&W's u-air, it could guarentee a kill. Hm....

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
This has happened to me before..... it's actually pretty common (for a glitch) vs. MK because of their Shuttle Loop spam. If you time an electrical attack (Thunder & dair have worked the most) so that it hits during their invincibility frames, they go flying off the screen and don't get their up b back.

Spark, I have a video of this working in a Pika ditto, but it was super glitchy because somehow my Thunder caused it to happen through FD. Not the skinny ledge part, either..... T2 somehow hit through the fat part of the stage from crazy far away. The other Pika went for the ledge, but right as he started to sweetspot, he went flying off-screen...... in this case, he got his up-b back, but he was so shocked, he ended up up b'ing again in some wonky direction and fell to his death. :laugh:

Anyways, I think Stealth has a video from Neji of this happening in a doubles match (on MK's SL). He sent it to me, but I've long since deleted it from this computer. It might still be on my laptop, though..... I'll check when I get it back from Chibo.

SilverSpark

Smash Journeyman
Yes, good (rubs hands evilly).

OH I just found out how to do a ground-cancelled d-air 100% of the time! Just immediately flick the c-stick down as soon as you jump ^_^. Now you can do some awesome d-air to grab combos or something :]

Man this feels really awesome :D I'm like spamming them right now!

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
OH I just found out how to do a ground-cancelled d-air 100% of the time! Just immediately flick the c-stick down as soon as you jump ^_^. Now you can do some awesome d-air to grab combos or something :]
That's how we always did them, lol. You're madd late, Spark. =X

SilverSpark

Smash Journeyman
That's how we always did them, lol. You're madd late, Spark. =X
Yeah, well, no one tells me the "simple things" :\ I usually have to find them out by myself, or I overhear someone saying something I haven't tried before.

Edit: Soooo, Kaylo. If you know anything simple that isn't on this list, please tell me :)

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I'll think on it, hehe.

However, I don't think SH'd dairs are a trick..... it's just how you perform the move to avoid lag, like full hopping a bair.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
If it's something that everyone doesn't know (and I didn't), then I'm calling it a trick :) (opening paragraph of my thread)
It's up to you. *shrug* But it's written in the guide and gets asked about in the Q&A thread somewhat often, so it's already fairly well-known..... and it's not situational at all like most of the tricks here, it's just the standard procedure for doing the move.

But whatevs. On that note, it's referred to as Pikastorming (like Ganon's SH'd dair).

lmntolp

Smash Apprentice
Yes, good (rubs hands evilly).

Man this feels really awesome :D I'm like spamming them right now!
Today I found a different way to do this, jump+a+down smash. Have ppl known about this already?
I've only tried this with tap jump so far, but this way pika actually does a short hop without me letting go of the control stick.
jump+down smash+side smash does a short hop fair or bair as well.
Btw, I did this with nunchuck. This seems pretty awkward to do with a GC controller.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Today I found a different way to do this, jump+a+down smash. Have ppl known about this already?
I've only tried this with tap jump so far, but this way pika actually does a short hop without me letting go of the control stick.
jump+down smash+side smash does a short hop fair or bair as well.
Btw, I did this with nunchuck. This seems pretty awkward to do with a GC controller.
or just
tap jump up + c-stick down.

voila, don't even have to worry about short hopping, it does it for you.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
ya found that out today, pretty cool xD. works for short hopping fair/bair too
See, Sparky? This is what happens when we don't communicate properly. It takes 2 years to find out something that was discovered within like the first week of release. :<

SilverSpark

Smash Journeyman
-bump- Discuss VvV please :]

118) Skullbash Edgeguarding

a) If someone's trying to recover, and they're at a somewhat mid percentage, depending on the character you can reliably do a d-air to skull bash to push them further from the edge.

b) Skullbash basically has two hitboxes: in front of pikachu and the back half of his body. If you hit someone with the 2nd hitbox, they'll go flying backwards. I sometimes charge a skull bash next to someone recovering to try to catch them offguard and hit them backwards for a KO. There's also a chance that you may not hit them backwards, but you'd hit them forward and possibly stage spike them.
Using skull bash to ko that way may be risky, so I'd go for doing a full hop charged SB then aiming for the ledge.

d) Another way to ko with skull bash is to hit them with skull bash while they're hanging onto the edge. If they're at a mid/high percent, there's a good chance that they'll be stage spiked and ko'd.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
i like pulling anther stunts now, running off with skull bash as well as jumping then reversing the skull bash and aiming at the ledge, to hit people who recover under. that one tends to get stage spikes if you hit.

SilverSpark

Smash Journeyman
i like pulling anther stunts now, running off with skull bash as well as jumping then reversing the skull bash and aiming at the ledge, to hit people who recover under. that one tends to get stage spikes if you hit.
Meerrrrrrr. I bet you that I thought of that trick earlier; I just don't have enough tourney representation to get recognized/have videos of me playing. :\

Anyway, so how about that Pika scar that that Japanese Pika used to get on the ledge? Discuss pl0x.

Top Bottom