• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

100 Facts & Tips- A Link Handbook

SuSa

Banned via Administration
This is 100 facts and tips that every Link should know. Read through it and you may find things you didn't know!

(Please contribute as this is nowhere near done, and we may get over 100!)

At the bottom you can find things that need testing.
PLEASE TEST! (I don't have a wii or brawl)

I will be organizing this in areas as the list grows ---

1. Arrow Lock
An uncharged arrow shot has the capability to lock your opponent, just like a jab.

2. Bair Sets Up
The first hit of Bair can setup due to its set knockback!

First hit of Bair > FF > reverse Dsmash

First hit of Bair > FF > Buffer Turn Around > Utilt

First hit of Bair > FF > Ftilt

3. Boomerang Knockdown has -set- knockdown. No matter how hard or which angle you throw it in, if its at its knockback speed, it will knock down the opponent the same distance.

4. The harder your throw the boomerang, the farther you can be away from the opponent to knock them down.

5. If you dash left/right, sh bair, and B-reverse AC the landing, Link will shoot backwards. If done correctly. However you Bair left, and shoot right if you dash right (example)

6. Dair and arrows can cancel projectiles. (Useful for gimping the Earth Boys)

7. Nair is great for stage spikes if you know how to RAR, and the opponent is recovering from below the stage. (Especially on FD) the weak hit also gimps. Win-Win.

8. If you are really high up, pull a bomb. Even if you can recover, pull a bomb. If you get gimped, the bomb can save you. (I was almost killed once, but my bomb blew up and I SDI'd towards the stage from the very bottom corner of FD, and lived!) It's a rare occasion, but it can happen! And any attempt at avoiding me gimped is best. (just remember to SDI the explosion towards the stage!)

9. Using bombs to edgeguard can set people into traps. (Jump over, drop bomb with Z, perform an aerial) This works great against characters like Lucario, and the Spacies who can choose to recover from below or from the side with ease. (This limits their options to avoid your gimp if you drop the bomb)

10. If you opponent is hanging from the edge, don't approach. Space your arrows and bombs to get them in a trap. (Common Sense)

11. Up smash has fixed knockback on the first two hits. Your opponent can DI out of the last hit if they know how at 0% or 100%! Not a reliable kill move, and only a good damage racker if your opponent doesn't know how to SDI. -- This is why I rarely use this move!

12. #11 applies to up-B in the air as well (excluding last hit) so if you're one of the few that try to KO with up-B, if they know how to DI out, you'll just get punished.

13. The bombstool can be a great gimp tool! The bomb hits your opponent up, and if you're close enough you can footstool them and recover! I've KO'd many Pit's, and even a Meta Knight because very few people expect this. the footstool can sometimes KO if they are low enough. Always fun. I use this when an aerial would kill me.

14. A wise man once said, "Those with bomb in hand. Don't get chaingrabbed." If you're in chaingrab %'s, have a bomb in hand as much as possible.

15. That same wise man once said, "Why walk. When you can slide?" (Referring to the DACIT/Bombslide)

16. The DACUS can go several different distances. Learn how to control this and abuse the fact it can go small, medium, and large distances. It's no help if you undershoot/overshoot where your opponent is!

17. Dair can bounce of certain projectiles, this can either cancel the projectile or help aid recovery! (Be careful about using this to recover)

18. During animations where the opponents back hitbox is shown (Falco's forward smash for example), if you hit them with the Gale Boomerang they are knocked towards you because Brawl counts this as a "hit on their back". This can setup a perfectly spaced Jab Lock.

19. The bomb does different %'s based off of how fast its moving. I'm trying to find the exact formula. (The bomb does I believe 7-11% based off how far you are. I may be wrong on those %'s, its been like 5 months)

20. You can only have 2 bombs out at any one time. So if you throw one up, then pull another and throw it, don't waste time pulling a "blank". (You still do the animation, but you won't pull anything!

21. Dair does more damage when fastfalled.

22. You can 'cancel' the animation of catching the Gale Boomerang by doing another move. (Zair or another quick move, like jabbing is recommended)

_____TEST_____

1. How strongly can you (S)DI a bomb? (And about how high are you when you can see a noticeable distance) -- This will help bombstooling! If you're able to memorize the %'s at which it becomes much harder/impossible to footstool you know when to stop.

Variables:

Character - Use MK and Lucas as testing. MK has horrible aerial movement, while Lucas is like a plane. :laugh:

%'s - Start at 0%, 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100+%. Knowing Brawl, the higher the %, the more you can avoid the footstool.

SuSa

Are we going for only small little facts like you've got or also A's and stuff.

I.e

BombSmashing

BombSliding

Gale Guarding

Zair/Aerials with Bombs

etc.
It's for lesser known things, some of which you have to really look for in guides.

I always seem to find 2-3 people who don't know arrows can lock.. so thats why thats mentioned.

Ever fewer know that the boomerang and first hit of bair have set knockback.

AT's aren't what we're aiming for. If you go to the Pika boards, they have a great topic like this. Some of them are extremely situational, but can happen and are useful to know.

From my Fixed/Set knockback thread:

Up B (Air Only, Excluding Last Hit) - Confirmed

Up Smash (first two hits) - Confirmed

Back Air (first hit) - Confirmed

Gale Boomerang - Unknown? - Believe the knockdown does.

Xiahou Dun

Smash Ace
Eh I had to clarify because the Pika thread you mentioned hasd their well known stuff too like Quick Attack Cancel not just little mini facts. I'd name this thread "100 things you might not know about Link"

Shieks needles can move people towards you as well as away. If you hit someone in the front they'll move backwards. From the back and they'll move forwards? Why am I mentioning this, this is stupid right? Well in some attack animations people's backs become their front. For example Falco's Forward Smash. If you hit him in the right part of the move the needles will hit the back of his head as he leans forward and he will actually be knocked towards you ready to be hit with whatever you want. Some other attacks also have the same effect of showing their backs to you during the animation and you can exploit this although I do not know all of them.

Stuff like that? Only for Link of course?

Come to think of it does that exact same thing work for Link's boomerang?

How about Down airing on people's projectiles to bounce up and aid recovery?

Anyway it's midnight here in England land and I'm a little tired to be doing some intense thinking but I can test one or two simple things for you if you just give me a quick list. I;m not gonna go downstairs and turn brawl on (My Brawl disc is mega scratched and it takes 30 minutes or so of back to back disc read errors just to get it to turn on) just to test like one thing though. I want a decent chunk of stuff ro make it worth my effort.

SuSa

Eh I had to clarify because the Pika thread you mentioned hasd their well known stuff too like Quick Attack Cancel not just little mini facts. I'd name this thread "100 things you might not know about Link"

Shieks needles can move people towards you as well as away. If you hit someone in the front they'll move backwards. From the back and they'll move forwards? Why am I mentioning this, this is stupid right? Well in some attack animations people's backs become their front. For example Falco's Forward Smash. If you hit him in the right part of the move the needles will hit the back of his head as he leans forward and he will actually be knocked towards you ready to be hit with whatever you want. Some other attacks also have the same effect of showing their backs to you during the animation and you can exploit this although I do not know all of them.

Stuff like that? Only for Link of course?

Come to think of it does that exact same thing work for Link's boomerang?

How about Down airing on people's projectiles to bounce up and aid recovery?

Anyway it's midnight here in England land and I'm a little tired to be doing some intense thinking but I can test one or two simple things for you if you just give me a quick list. I;m not gonna go downstairs and turn brawl on (My Brawl disc is mega scratched and it takes 30 minutes or so of back to back disc read errors just to get it to turn on) just to test like one thing though. I want a decent chunk of stuff ro make it worth my effort.
I mentioned that about the hurtboxes and the gale boomerang. It does the same thing for when Falco/Fox land on the ground.

It's only during certain 'rare' animations, but its possible and you can abuse it.

(It's also a great Jab Lock setup)

For the Dairing on projectiles for recovery, I'll add that. It's sorta rare, but does happen. (Can you find me the thread in which I think Sasook made a list of everything that you can bounce on with dair? I think its in the Q&A somewhere)

Xiahou Dun

Smash Ace
For the Dairing on projectiles for recovery, I'll add that. It's sorta rare, but does happen. (Can you find me the thread in which I think Sasook made a list of everything that you can bounce on with dair? I think its in the Q&A somewhere)
The Q&A that got Deleted?

Xiahou Dun

Smash Ace
Down Airing offstage is a bad idea most of the time unless a hit is actually guaranteed. Which it usually isn't.

SuSa

A guide should never contradict itself.
It's not so much a guide.

Also, if you notice they always use the jump option from the ledge (I've noticed less and less and less of this as time went on... ledge hopping, rolling, and attack getups are generally your 3 best options at any given time) by all means, if they keep jumping. Dair them.

However its not your best option.

Xiahou Dun

Smash Ace
It's not so much a guide.
hand⋅book
   /ˈhændˌbʊk/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [hand-book] Show IPA
–noun
1. a book of instruction or guidance, as for an occupation; manual: a handbook of radio.
2. a guidebook for travelers: a handbook of Italy.
3. a reference book in a particular field: a medical handbook.
4. a scholarly book on a specific subject, often consisting of separate essays or articles: a handbook of lectures on criticism.

Also, if you notice they always use the jump option from the ledge (I've noticed less and less and less of this as time went on... ledge hopping, rolling, and attack getups are generally your 3 best options at any given time) by all means, if they keep jumping. Dair them.

However its not your best option.
Eh it's not a tip that should specifically be put in if you ask me. If you see someone being predictable and generally stupid you can get a free shot in with just about any move why specifically Down Air?

SuSa

hand⋅book
   /ˈhændˌbʊk/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [hand-book] Show IPA
–noun
1. a book of instruction or guidance, as for an occupation; manual: a handbook of radio.
2. a guidebook for travelers: a handbook of Italy.
3. a reference book in a particular field: a medical handbook.
4. a scholarly book on a specific subject, often consisting of separate essays or articles: a handbook of lectures on criticism.

Eh it's not a tip that should specifically be put in if you ask me. If you see someone being predictable and generally stupid you can get a free shot in with just about any move why specifically Down Air?
Dair is our most damaging move and a fantastic KO move at mid-high %'s, and is almost always fresh.

"3. a reference book in a particular field:"

It's a reference book of tips and tricks. If you really hate me having the name be "handbook" I'll just take that word out. Being a complete smartass won't get us anywhere.

Did you know Dair does more damage when fastfalled? :p

Xiahou Dun

Smash Ace
Dair is our most damaging move
A move isn't as damaging as a combo, I'd personally rather land a Grab or Jab myself. They're less of a commitment if you miss too.

and a fantastic KO move at mid-high %'s,
Indeed.

and is almost always fresh.
The Link I usually play tends to spam it. :/

"3. a reference book in a particular field:"

It's a reference book of tips and tricks. If you really hate me having the name be "handbook" I'll just take that word out. Being a complete smartass won't get us anywhere.
Eh I don't care at all. You were being pedantic so I decided to be pedantic back. The original point was simply that the thread shouldn't offer a piece of advice that contradicts the other.

Did you know Dair does more damage when fastfalled? :p
No I did not.

SuSa

A move isn't as damaging as a combo, I'd personally rather land a Grab or Jab myself. They're less of a commitment if you miss too.

Indeed.

The Link I usually play tends to spam it. :/

Eh I don't care at all. You were being pedantic so I decided to be pedantic back. The original point was simply that the thread shouldn't offer a piece of advice that contradicts the other.

No I did not.

Link's grab is far more punishable then his dair, at least you can move during dair. :p

You play a horrible Link.

Fighting fire with fire generally doesn't go very well.

:) see, you already learned something new from this thread.

Xiahou Dun

Smash Ace
Link's grab is far more punishable then his dair, at least you can move during dair. :p
Yeah Jab is hella open. But I was talking about shield grabbing an Aerial or something. Usually I'd just go for a Jab.

You play a horrible Link.
Yes I do. But I've seen some good Links spam it too. :D

Fighting fire with fire generally doesn't go very well.
Not always. I have once put out a fire by burning it.

True story.

SuSa

Yeah Jab is hella open. But I was talking about shield grabbing an Aerial or something. Usually I'd just go for a Jab.
Oh course, OoS dair isn't to great for punishing aerials. We were talking about if they jump from the edge.

Yes I do. But I've seen some good Links spam it too. :D
The best Link's only spam it when its working. ;) haha

Throwing it out randomly seems to work the best for me, and for punishing.

Not always. I have once put out a fire by burning it.

True story.
Firefighters do that to. :psycho:

I rarely use the saying, but I know you understood what I meant. If you want to get in silly arguments like what you tried to start, we'd never get anything done because it would just be back and forwarth correcting between you and me nitpicking eachothers posts.

Xiahou Dun

Smash Ace
Oh course, OoS dair isn't to great for punishing aerials. We were talking about if they jump from the edge.
Yes we were. They jump from the edge and you dashing shield towards. An aerial is grabbed an airdodge is punished a second jump is followed by you chasing with an Up Air which you can delay slightly so if they jump and airdodge you'll still hit.

The best Link's only spam it when its working. ;)
Touche.

If you want to get in silly arguments like what you tried to start, we'd never get anything done because it would just be back and forwarth correcting between you and me nitpicking eachothers posts.
That's what a forum's all about babe. Don't shy away from it. You can still get stuff done at the same time by the way.

SuSa

Yes we were. They jump from the edge and you dashing shield towards. An aerial is grabbed an airdodge is punished a second jump is followed by you chasing with an Up Air which you can delay slightly so if they jump and airdodge you'll still hit.
It's much, much easier to predict the jump and punish with a dair in the frames that they are vulnerable and cannot do anything.

Did you know such frames existed?

I've managed to attack someone from their attack animation <_< they yelled out "hax" when they died.

I told them to be more careful about using the attack option because of that. :p It's easily abused.

Then again, good players also only spam it when it works.

That's why a lot of "spammy -instert character here-" win a lot. :laugh:

That's what a forum's all about babe. Don't shy away from it. You can still get stuff done at the same time by the way.
A forum's about discussion, not arguments that don't get anywhere. I save debates for debate topics. I also run several forums, and am staff for a forum host. Don't tell me what forums are for. :p

Also, as you can see what we're doing, you can do both. But why waste the time replying to that which gets nowhere?

I'm trying to think of what other threads I feel like making for the Link's to get them back on their feet since they hate me for no reason besides pointing out the fact I hate their inefficiency.

Xiahou Dun

Smash Ace
Did you know such frames existed?
Yes. Running at the edge and Up Smashing with Lucas taught me that.

A forum's about discussion, not arguments that don't get anywhere. I save debates for debate topics. I also run several forums, and am staff for a forum host. Don't tell me what forums are for. :p
Well bully for you. All that and you still don't get it.

Also, as you can see what we're doing, you can do both. But why waste the time replying to that which gets nowhere?
We're on a forum for an online game discussing some of the most whimsical stuff a Link main could ever need to know.

Bottom line. We have time to waste.

I'm trying to think of what other threads I feel like making for the Link's to get them back on their feet since they hate me for no reason besides pointing out the fact I hate their inefficiency.
I'm sure they hate you real bad.*Rolleseyes*

Anyway on the whole getting somewhere thing you're so depressingly stuck on I still extend my offer to test some stuff if you want me to so long as you give me a decent list of stuff to look at.

By the way does anyone happen to know exactly how long the fuse on a bomb is?

Jack_Shadow

Smash Rookie
something thats cool but not mentioned. You can stage spike certain characters (ganondorf and c-falcon) with bombs from above the stage on final destination. - I dunno if this is well known or not so im not sure whether to go into detail.

looks lush when you do it though.

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
Fun facts about Bombstoollocking: The limit % of being able to preform the Bombstoollock on characters varies from roughly 27 to 35%, depending on their weight. This is because at higher percents, even the weak hit of the Nair is enough to pop them up off the ground. When attempting a Bomstool strategy when your opponent is at higher %'s, keep this in mind as it may be better to BombstoolDair or something else.

Also, there is no % limit to when you can Bombstool. Yes, they will move faster from the blast at higher %'s, and possibly have greater horizontal motion, but as long as you can predict their trajectory, you can footstool them. I find the easiest way to do this is to make sure you are in a position where you do not need your second jump, so that you can use it before hand and mash the jump button to hell while they come towards you, earning an easy stool.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Bombs can go through TL arrows so I assume Links arrows too? Probably others, I'll post in the metagame thread so you guys can test.

Top Bottom