• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

10/29: Richland, Washington Tournament presented by Team Meow

Sandman

Smash Journeyman
What:Team Meow will be hosting their first SSBM tournament.

Where: Richland, Washington. More specifically, the recreation room and lounge of my apartment complex. The address is 2455 George Washington Way, and all you'd have to do once you're at the complex is find the Leasing Office because the rec room is in the same building, right next to where you'd walk in.

Quick links:
Get directions to (Mapquest)
Where it is in relation to other places (Mapquest)

When: Saturday, October 29. Tournament will be starting at noon and will continue until... well, whenever it's over. We'd have to clear out by 8 or 9.

Who: So far, good Smashers in our local area, and a crew or two from Spokane. I'm hoping to attract some attention from people in Portland, Seattle, or anywhere in Washington/Eastern Oregon since Richland is only a few hours away. Seattle can make it here in about 3.5 hours, while Portland is only 3 hours away.

Tournament info:

Right now I'm only going to be doing a Singles tournament since this will be my first time hosting a Smash Tourney. I'm sure there will be plenty of room and time to warm up and play casual Smash, and if anyone wanted to do something on the side like a team tournament or money matches, that'd be fine by me.

$10 entry fee. Everyone will be required to pay. It will cover prize money, and be divided up among those who place 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

I'm hoping to keep this fun, friendly, and pretty casual, but tournament rules will be enforced.

This is mostly copied from other threads. Pretty standard rules.

Basic rules:
-Double Elimination
-All matches are best of 3, with finals best of 5.
-4 stock, 8 minute limit
-Ties broken by lives/percentage
-Items OFF
-Damage ratio at 1

Stages:
-Stages limited to the neutral stages for random, others open for counterpicks.
-Neutral stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams, Kirby 64, Pokemon Stadium
-Stages banned: Hyrule Temple, Fourside, Flatzone, Brinstar Depths, Icicle Mountain, Yoshi's Island 64, Big Blue, Yoshi's Island (Pipes), Rainbow Cruise, Poke' Floats, and Termina
-Dave's Stupid Rule: No stage may be used twice in a single match, either by random select or by picking
-Advanced Slob Picks - Loser may choose the next stage or elect to go random, then winner may choose to change characters, then loser may change characters
-Double Blind pick may be called at any time

Misc. rules:

-Controller mods of ANY kind (short-hop mod, L-trigger mod, etc), except for cosmetic changes (paint job, different colored plastic), are banned. If you are caught using a banned controller you will be disqualified from the tournament.

-Turbo or programmed buttons of any kind are banned. You may use third party controllers or pads that have these features, but if you are suspected of using the banned features you will not be allowed to use that controller any longer.

-Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character or indefinitely freezing them (Mewtwo's Soul Stunner, the Ice Climber freeze glitch), or any glitch or trick that freezes the match or makes it in any way unfinishable are banned. Using them will result in the immediate forfeit of the match.

-Tactics such as Peach's Wallbombing and Jiggly's Rising Pound are allowed as methods of recovery or to manuever around the stage. Using them (or any similar tactics) to excessively stall a match, such as droping below levels intentionally and stalling underneath, is banned.

-Bring your own controller.

Since this is in my aparment's lounge and recreation room, I have to put down a deposit to make sure things don't get destroyed. Use your brain and common courtesy so that I don't get hosed. No alcohol or smoking inside the building. No killing eachother or playing loud music. Like I said, use your brain. I'd really like to keep it friendly and fun, but please be polite. :)

There's been discussion of Smash64 money matches taking place. That's fine by me.

Also, if anyone can bring an extra TV, Gamecube, etc. that'd be nifty and help things pass by more quickly. Right now we're going to have access to a big screen TV surrounded by a big couch that could seat a lot of people. This will be the main TV for the more critical matches. I also have a fairly nice TV that I'll be carting over to the rec room (which is right next to the lounge). I have one more TV, but it's pretty old and the screen flutters around and shifts every once in a while so I'd rather not have to subject anyone to that. I've got a Cube and 4 controllers, and I could get more Cubes and controllers fairly easily. I bet I could get more TVs, too, but if anyone wants to bring one, let me know. It'd be nice to have more.

For specific contact information (such as a phone number), please PM me, or IM me: skowmoney. Please let me know if you're planning on attending, and how many people I can expect to come with you. If anyone needs to stay overnight, let me know so we can accomodate.

Peaches

Smash Lord
Awesome, I'll be there. No matter what tries to stop me. Also, if you make it fairly big, you may not want to include food with the entry fee. But hey, it's your tourney; just make sure to figure out teh bracker 100% so we don't have any mishaps.

fake edit: ZOMG it's right before Halloween. I'm going to do the geekiest thing possible and bring my Marth costume,

Sandman

Smash Journeyman
Peaches said:
Awesome, I'll be there. No matter what tries to stop me. Also, if you make it fairly big, you may not want to include food with the entry fee. But hey, it's your tourney; just make sure to figure out teh bracker 100% so we don't have any mishaps.

fake edit: ZOMG it's right before Halloween. I'm going to do the geekiest thing possible and bring my Marth costume,
Right. I guess everything said above is subject to change depending on how many people we can expect to show up.

Haha, it'd be hilarious to see you donned in your Marth costume!

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
I'll be there!!! (hopefully anyway, long way away hard to tell) I can bring a n64, ssb and 2 controllers for singles money matches or just casual play, if you're interested in playing 64 at all though you should plan on bringing a spare controller, since I only have 2, and there will be a shortage otherwise :confused: Can't wait to be there :)

Sandman

Smash Journeyman
Sweet! I can't wait to Smash with you guys again. It was a lot of fun last time, and even if we don't get anyone from Seattle or Portland, it would still be a blast.

I'm going to go ahead and lower the cost of the tournament to $5 and just have people plan on getting food themselves, or throwing in for pizza at the event.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I have gear

Obviously I cannot attend this upcoming tourney, but keep in mind for another tournament that I have a GameCube and four controllers available.

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
IMO having the $10 entry fee is fine, that way some of it can be put towards drinks and food, cause with the spokane tourney after pizza and everything there wasn't alot left for prizes, with $10 though everyone can still afford it, and there will be more money for prizes at the end. Either way is fine with me though, I just think it would be smarter for a $10 entry fee.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Garbage!

mrbones123185 said:
me and some friends about 4 of them are going see u guys there :chuckle:
Oh this hurts to hear. I wish I could be there. Hey Sandman, be sure you keep a registry of all these people (and the equipment they can offer) so we can stay in contact. In addition to pubilcly advertising a tournament here, we can directly inform players by e-mail of upcoming events. I'll be home in mid-December and I expect to see a lot of action at that point! For now, I am stranded up here in Idaho...

Oh yeah, I agree with the $10 entry fee. It'll just make the event that much better (even though I won't be there...grrr...). If possible, I would hope someone could establish some means of video-recording the matches. (I, especially, would want to see those, Sandman.) Just my suggestions. SMASH IT UP, GUYS!

Sandman

Smash Journeyman
My reason for lowering it to $5/person would be to keep all the prize money together so I can keep better track of it. If people want food, we'll have a separate pool of money for food. I may raise it back to $10/person to double the prize money, but I think that this time around I'll be keeping food/drink costs separate from the tournament money. That way, if somebody doesn't want pizza, they can go get a burger and not feel like they wasted money on food that someone else ate.

Buzz, should this tournament turn out well, I'll be sure to host another come holiday time. Good idea on the e-mail listing, I'll have to get a list going at the tournament! I don't yet have access to a laptop or video recording equipment, but I'll be looking into a way to record some of the matches.

In any case, I'll think on the entry fee a little bit more. Don't expect it to cover food, though. But it would be cool to have cash prizes reaching the hundreds! :D

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Nice

Sandman said:
Buzz, should this tournament turn out well, I'll be sure to host another come holiday time. Good idea on the e-mail listing, I'll have to get a list going at the tournament! I don't yet have access to a laptop or video recording equipment, but I'll be looking into a way to record some of the matches.
The way we did it was simply feeding the A/V cables through a VCR input, which in turn connects to the TV. Then you simply record that input using the standard VCR functions. Although it would be NICE to digitize it all into computer format, just a VHS will suffice for now. I'd get someone to provide a VCR. I'm sure someone has one laying around they can lug along. :)

And I think dividing the entry fee from the food fee is a good idea. No financial mayhem at the last minute.

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
I don't really think food and entry fee should be divided, it doesn't really need to be. By paying for entry you say you want to participate in the tournament to possibly win the prize money, and eat the food. If you don't have everyone pay for it, you could get some ******* that doesn't pay for the food but eats it, its easier for everyone to just pay a couple bucks in for it.

Sandman

Smash Journeyman
M3tr01D said:
I don't really think food and entry fee should be divided, it doesn't really need to be. By paying for entry you say you want to participate in the tournament to possibly win the prize money, and eat the food. If you don't have everyone pay for it, you could get some ******* that doesn't pay for the food but eats it, its easier for everyone to just pay a couple bucks in for it.
I think people will be able to figure it out. If a group wants to get pizza, they can divide it up among themselves and just keep an eye on it if they're paranoid that people are going to steal their pizza. I'd rather do it this way, sorry. :ohwell:

Buzz, I'd much rather have it recorded to a digital camcorder if I can find one. I'm sure that someone local who's participating will either have one or know someone. :)

Sandman

Smash Journeyman
Well, I'm hoping that we'll have a few more TVs than we did in the Spokane Tournament, so the tournament shouldn't take quite as long. That said, we shouldn't have a problem having any other events after the Singles Tournament is through.

If anyone can bring their Gamecube, extra controllers, or even a TV (though I wouldn't worry so much about it), let me know!

BladeWise

Smash Lord
I'm in Pullman at WSU, so I might be able to go. It kinda depends on how big it is though, cuz Halloween weekend is usually quite fun around here.

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
I might be able to bring a gc and a couple controllers, I'd perfer not to though since I was already gonna bring my n64 system, but if we are running low I could always bring one.

PvtCaboiose

Smash Cadet
hey, ive got my GC and 3 controllers just incase there are needed umm... if its all right im hoping for me and my roomate to come(at least)...so yah.

Sandman

Smash Journeyman
BladeWise said:
I'm in Pullman at WSU, so I might be able to go. It kinda depends on how big it is though, cuz Halloween weekend is usually quite fun around here.
Sweet! The more the merrier. Let me know what your final plans are. This would only be for the 29th so if you needed to be back up there on Halloween, I don't see it being a problem.

M3tr01D said:
I might be able to bring a gc and a couple controllers, I'd perfer not to though since I was already gonna bring my n64 system, but if we are running low I could always bring one.
Don't bother with the system if you don't want to. Thanks anyway!

Sk8nMasta said:
i have a GC and TV
PvtCaboiose said:
hey, ive got my GC and 3 controllers just incase there are needed umm... if its all right im hoping for me and my roomate to come(at least)...so yah.
Good to know. That puts us at 4 TVs and 4 systems. Thanks, both of you!

Sandman

Smash Journeyman
Edited first post.

$10 entry fee. Does not cover food. I'm also toying around with the idea of spreading the prize money beyond the top 3.

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
I don't like that idea >_< it should only be top 3 that get prize money, unless you just mean getting the $10 entry fee back for 4th and possibly 5th.

Sandman

Smash Journeyman
M3tr01D said:
unless you just mean getting the $10 entry fee back for 4th and possibly 5th.
Actually, that's pretty much what I was thinking. I think that if you're good enough to place it that high, you should at least get your entry fee money back. Any other thoughts?

Peaches

Smash Lord
That sounds okay. I can bring a small TV

edit: possibly a cube and possibly a camera (if I can get it to work)

Sandman

Smash Journeyman
Peaches said:
That sounds okay. I can bring a small TV

edit: possibly a cube and possibly a camera (if I can get it to work)
Awesome! The tournament should go very smoothly with this many TVs. :p

Also, any word on how many to expect from the Spokane area?

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
ME! :D (anybody heard from spencer *green fox* he has some vids on his camera of the last tourney but he never responds or anything.)

Fath0m420

Smash Rookie
I'll have to try and make it too, not realy sure if i can yet tho. This is the day after my bday too so like if i'm there everyone should let me win :p

Sandman

Smash Journeyman
Fath0m420 said:
This is the day after my bday too so like if i'm there everyone should let me win :p
We'll just say I let you win at the Spokane tourney and we'll call ourselves even. :laugh:

In any case, I hope to see you there!

Peaches

Smash Lord
semi-finals are good. I got 4th I think. Technically I was supposed to challenge for 3rd.
EDIT:
the other spokane guys weren't there when I was over there. . . weird. But Fathom and I played some good matches.

double edit: would it be okay if I showed up really really early? Like the night before? Because I don't want to travel in and out the same day.

Sandman

Smash Journeyman
Peaches said:
double edit: would it be okay if I showed up really really early? Like the night before? Because I don't want to travel in and out the same day.
Yeah, that'd be fine. Bring yourself a blanket and whatever you need and you can crash on my couch.

Top Bottom