• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

1.10 Balance change speculation?

Blue Warrior

Smash Apprentice
But the timing is ridiculously strict!
Wouldn't you rather have both?
Precisely. I have a problem with this "Samus doesn't need it" argument when multiple characters have combos that are way stronger than what Samus has. The idea that having a jab that links into a jab would break her or make her too easy is a joke.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Luigi can kill every character with d-throw > down B from as low as 87% as a true combo regardless of DI.
These setups are so difficult and give only the smallest rewards.

Smash 4 Samus might just be the saddest thing in my life right now.
She's not the saddest thing, Its arbitrary statements like this thats dividing our Samus community. Tonetta has a point when they said our attitude has been awfully sour. yes its frustrating our toolkit is reduced to a handful of precise attacks and combos but we should be proud that we can pull them off. Mentally we're much more skilled at this game, we cant rely on instinctive smash play we have to calculate and think.
If we perfect a few of those difficult techniques we do fairly well.

Am I upset Samus got no attention, yeah. but it does not mean the character is forgotten.
maybe if we werent so sour the rest of the smash community could respect our suggestions and may even help us get heard.

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
She's not the saddest thing, Its arbitrary statements like this thats dividing our Samus community. Tonetta has a point when they said our attitude has been awfully sour. yes its frustrating our toolkit is reduced to a handful of precise attacks and combos but we should be proud that we can pull them off. Mentally we're much more skilled at this game, we cant rely on instinctive smash play we have to calculate and think.
If we perfect a few of those difficult techniques we do fairly well.

Am I upset Samus got no attention, yeah. but it does not mean the character is forgotten.
maybe if we werent so sour the rest of the smash community could respect our suggestions and may even help us get heard.
So far as I know, everyone is sour that Samus was neglected. I can't remember a top player at EVO who wasn't tweeting about that when 1.1.0 arrived.

We still use Samus, no one's abandoning her. There's just a general sadness and frustration now.

Emerlad_Element

Smash Cadet
NNID
EmeraldElementLP
3DS FC
2767-1123-2046
Zair - autocancel, 4% throughout the whole thing
F-tilt - pre-patch, 1% more damage
D-tilt - 14%, KO's at 135%
U-tilt - untechable, like Falco's dair
Nair - YEH BUDDEH
Up-air - tip of move sucks in opponent, easier to link into final hit/ground opponent if cancelled into the stage
Dair - No sourspot
D-smash - yes
F-smash - smaller sourspot
Up-smash - YES
Honestly, I feel like D-Air sourspot is probably the best sourspot in the game. If you don't spike, you get pretty good horizontal knockback. Leading to kills off the side. Happens to me quite a bit anyway.

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
Honestly, I feel like D-Air sourspot is probably the best sourspot in the game. If you don't spike, you get pretty good horizontal knockback. Leading to kills off the side. Happens to me quite a bit anyway.
Best dair sourspot is Rosalina(kills most of the cast at 50% off the sides), followed by Falcon.
We already have bair tho, and a clean spike would help pave the way to a better matchup vs characters with bad vertical recovery.

Blue Warrior

Smash Apprentice
A lot of spike sourspots aren't exactly terrible; I've killed with a close range hard knuckle before with Mega Man.

Emerlad_Element

Smash Cadet
NNID
EmeraldElementLP
3DS FC
2767-1123-2046
Best dair sourspot is Rosalina(kills most of the cast at 50% off the sides), followed by Falcon.
We already have bair tho, and a clean spike would help pave the way to a better matchup vs characters with bad vertical recovery.
I honestly didn't know that about Rosalina. I see what you mean though, didn't take into account that last part. I would rather opt for a bigger sweet spot or something like that rather then removing the sour spots. That's just my opinion though.

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
I honestly didn't know that about Rosalina. I see what you mean though, didn't take into account that last part. I would rather opt for a bigger sweet spot or something like that rather then removing the sour spots. That's just my opinion though.
No, i meant the whole thing is a sweetspot, like melee and Brawl

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Make samus's body a hit box for nair. my problemwith it is that i have to be at the side of the opponent. give me the whole body than it would be in a good move. bombs that explode on contact seems like a pointless buff since mega bomb is supperior. make u tilt non techable, i not sure what they should do with down tilt. but i guess it should kill. i dont have very much issue with her other moves.

_gold_

Smash Master
Make samus's body a hit box for nair. my problemwith it is that i have to be at the side of the opponent. give me the whole body than it would be in a good move. bombs that explode on contact seems like a pointless buff since mega bomb is supperior. make u tilt non techable, i not sure what they should do with down tilt. but i guess it should kill. i dont have very much issue with her other moves.
Similar to King DDD's and Wario's? Yea, I agree. Because as it stands, it's one of the hardest nair's to utilize.

Emerlad_Element

Smash Cadet
NNID
EmeraldElementLP
3DS FC
2767-1123-2046
You know, I heard that each character had their dodge rolls and spot dodges nerfed by 1 frame. I don't know if that's true or not and if it is, it's nothing major. It also means we technically got nerfed... Again, I don't know if it's true so take this with a grain of salt. :p :drshrug:

Last edited:

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
You know, I heard that each character had their dodge rolls and spot dodges nerfed by 1 frame. I don't know if that's true or not and if it is, it's nothing major. It also means we technically got nerfed... Again, I don't know if it's true so take this with a grain of salt. :p :drshrug:
That sounds like the most placebo placebo that ever did placebo

Tonetta

Smash Apprentice
Actually it's a favorable thing for samus because spot dodging a cs becomes that much more difficult.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
That sounds like the most placebo placebo that ever did placebo
Nope sounds like you've been arguing over patch 1.10 without reading the patch notes. http://smashboards.com/threads/tournament-mode-1-1-0-community-patch-notes.412130/
Ed-ja-macate yourself.
Global Changes
  • Nintendo has now made it obvious it is watching you while you play, eat, sleep and go to the bathroom to help decide Mii costume DLC.
  • I am so upset Winnie the Pooh Bear was deconfirmed as a future playable character. We need to show Nintendo our OUTRAGE...
  • Strong attacks have new animation effects on hit.
  • Momentum from actions no longer sliding off ledges (MK/Falcon's dash grabs) has been reverted.
  • UNIVERSAL invincibility duration on spot dodge and both rolls have been reduced by 1 frame.

Last edited:

S.P.A.D.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lavama
So in some weird way it could be seen as a small buff. How about that.

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
Can I get a video clip?
Focus the rage gentlemen...
I don't have an SD card, but I was just testing out Samus's range against a CPU.
This happened a few times, either hitting the annoyingly large, weak sourpsot or, like here, not hitting at all.

But yeah, go rage y'all

Last edited:

_gold_

Smash Master
Sheesh... and Meta Knight players thought their range got nerf'd. Samus is laughable sometimes.

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
Sheesh... and Meta Knight players thought their range got nerf'd. Samus is laughable sometimes.
If you think that's bad, try linking Samus's up air.
It has almost no suction, most of the time you fall too fast to connect all the hits.
This sucks (heh) because when it does connect, it can combo into all of her best finishers.

Last edited:

Tonetta

Smash Apprentice
If you think that's bad, try linking Samus's up air.
It has almost no suction, most of the time you fall too fast to connect all the hits.
This sucks (heh) because when it does connect, it can combo into all of her best finishers.
your problem is that you're blaming the character for your poor di

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
That would have been true in Melee or Brawl, but try using any other multi-hit move in the game and tell that her up air is fiiiine
I have no problem with it at all. And Im a sucky Samus. I get like 3 in a row every time.

Tonetta

Smash Apprentice
That would have been true in Melee or Brawl, but try using any other multi-hit move in the game and tell that her up air is fiiiine
Zss's upb has people falling out due to di all the time, to name an ability of a "good" character. Sorry if you can't follow your opponents' di.

SpottedCerberus

Smash Journeyman
Zss's upb has people falling out due to di all the time, to name an ability of a "good" character. Sorry if you can't follow your opponents' di.
Because if you couldn't DI out of ZSS's up-b, she would be pretty much broken. They made it like that, so the last hit could whiff, for balancing purposes.

It's the same thing with her terrible grab. It's one of the only things keeping her from being OP, so it's not actually comparable to Samus's. It's just not that fair a comparison.

But yeah, DI is really important as a Samus main. Still, I wish it was easier. Most characters don't have to worry about people DIing out of their multi-hit aerials.

Edit: Especially Yoshi, after the latest patch.

Last edited:

Tonetta

Smash Apprentice
If people couldn't di out or samus uair, they would lose a stock if that first uair ever came from a platform. It's balance.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
You can almost always follow the opponent's DI in up-air. You watch the spin axis if their hurtbox is below the spin axis (ideal) they will pop out along the axis. If they are above they will pop out at 90 degree angle to the spin axis.
You visually track the impact sparks from the mult-hits and follow them with your stick. This info is in the combo thread, but maybe not prominently/clearly enough.
It's a critical skill, maybe the most important for the character. Even the low combo window characters like villager/ness cannot fall out, they're stuck.
I think up-air doesn't even have an SDI modifier in the code. I think it's the highest level of inescapable in mult-hits. F-air + up-smash is 0.8, and really should be 0.5 (or zero). Correct me if I'm wrong data experts.

SpottedCerberus

Smash Journeyman
You can almost always follow the opponent's DI in up-air. You watch the spin axis if their hurtbox is below the spin axis (ideal) they will pop out along the axis. If they are above they will pop out at 90 degree angle to the spin axis.
You visually track the impact sparks from the mult-hits and follow them with your stick. This info is in the combo thread, but maybe not prominently/clearly enough.
It's a critical skill, maybe the most important for the character. Even the low combo window characters like villager/ness cannot fall out, they're stuck.
I think up-air doesn't even have an SDI modifier in the code. I think it's the highest level of inescapable in mult-hits. F-air + up-smash is 0.8, and really should be 0.5 (or zero). Correct me if I'm wrong data experts.
Well that's a lot simpler than I've been making it.

Top Bottom