• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

03/28/09 - SC Bi-weeklies @ Casa's casa.

Criosphinx

Smash Lord
I'm down for that. I cg people to death in bball/football

I do scrabble with pool, I'm not the greatest but I think it's fun. I also like tennis/table tennis
EDIT: Oh, soccer too. And if gaming counts as a sport, put that down.
Also, I just got Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time. I like it, not sure if you guys would apprieciate it. Alot of people say it's a bit like Diablo, but I've never played that so I dunno
Now, I'd say pool is a sport, and so is tennis. but Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles... that's definitely not a sport.

Nothing could ever compare to Diablo. A playable version of Citizen Kane couldn't compare to Diablo.
Personally, I find people who submit to the American Film Institutes thought process which concludes that Citizen Kane is the best movie ever quite obnoxious. Citizen Kane is a good film at the best of days, whereas at the worst it's little more than the sad ramblings of a sad man, fictitious though he may be.

Edit: i meant to fit the word pathetic into that rant somewhere, but forgot. insert it wherever you feel it is most effective.

seejae

Smash Rookie
Personally, I find people who submit to the American Film Institutes thought process which concludes that Citizen Kane is the best movie ever quite obnoxious. Citizen Kane is a good film at the best of days, whereas at the worst it's little more than the sad ramblings of a sad man, fictitious though he may be.

Edit: i meant to fit the word pathetic into that rant somewhere, but forgot. insert it wherever you feel it is most effective.
It was just an expression. =P

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Anything happing next week? I'm off school for spring break.
EDIT: What's Citzin Kane??? And I didn't really mean FFCC as a sport. Maybe Like brawl or Soul Calibur or NFS

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Lolz, if we do get a game going, it'll be once school if officially out, and if everyone is man enough to break a sweat, we can all use a more demanding pastime, xD

Could be fun, im jus sayin'

~Kuja~

Smash Cadet
Lolz, if we do get a game going, it'll be once school if officially out, and if everyone is man enough to break a sweat, we can all use a more demanding pastime, xD

Hell yeah Jman, i was thinking the same thing exactly. lol i was training in brawl yesterday and i was thinking "the last thing i need to do is gain like 50 pounds because all i do is play video games" so i went to the park and played ball with some dudes for like 3 and a half hours XD so lets lose our guts and play some football or bball or something :p

Argyris

Smash Journeyman
Awww... My name's not green anymore. D:

Ok, so I had a fun day, putting a couple of special ice cubes in my suitemates' sodas and all. How was everyone else's day?

Edit 7:40PM: I just now realized that the changing name colors is an April Fools Joke. D: I was getting my hopes up with my green name. D:

Criosphinx

Smash Lord

I Parkour.

Occasionally.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
And its freakin fun, lol :p

And Im having a terribad day... like.. the worst of my life...

Can't go into specifics, but im litterally crushed and at a loss as to what i want to do with myself, my life even.

~Kuja~

Smash Cadet
Ah ok. I didnt know where this place was on a map so i thought it might be quicker if i came to your place first and we rode together, but its 3 hours from me too. Are you gonna come Devin?

zCasanova

Smash Lord
I might, don't want to pay for 6h worth of gas by myself.

If Brandon/Adam want to come, then maybe.

IDK, it's still up in the air.

~Kuja~

Smash Cadet
Yeah i hear you man, well just let me know. I'm more likely than not going. If you know of anyone who wants to go thats on the way from where i live, i got extra room in my car. oh and anyone else reading this from the Greenville area, if you wanna go, PM me and ill give you a ride!

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
JMan no Style:

General Style: JMan plays an aggressive style that’s straight forward. His knowledge of Sonic’s game is solid. When he’s focused, he displays a lot of what a good sonic can do. But whether he can do this consistently is part of the mental aspect of Brawl that many sonic’s have problems, especially against certain matchups.

Ground Game: He is at his best when he revolves around the run. The spin dash offence is there, but lack of diverse follow-ups on a blocked Spin combo attempt results in easy punishment. You don’t always have to jump and aerial, you can continue rolling, or spring to give you extra time to recover safely, but he doesn’t do much of either. He does has a strong knowledge of sonic’s fakes, and various approach methods, and has shown competent usage, but under pressure this aspect of his game will fall apart at times. The same goes for his ability to give chase and pressure opponents; I’ve seen really good stuff from him, then all of the sudden he falls into predictability and gives up matches he certainly would have won.

He uses Down Smash more than most Sonic’s do, which is interesting. In fact, few Sonic’s actually use the move correctly. Its best around kill percents and on wakeup when you can anticipate well, and he’s the only Sonic I’ve looked at so far to try to use it in that situation on a consistent basis. Keep it up. What you may need to lay off of though, is that love of charging FSmash as your mindgame. It doesn’t work enough to spam, and even then you have to set them up properly. Not worth it unless you really are in someone’s head.

His throw game is based off of Down Throw and Back Throw, but I’d like to see more setups involving Up/Forward throw. He doesn’t do enough of either especially at early percents, and there is enough potential damage from them for him to consider adding to his game.

Air Game: His aerials are balanced in usage from what I see. However his recovery needs work. He doesn’t do enough to mix up his attempts to get back on the stage once he gets knocked off, and it’s the most predictable part of his game. There are matches that offensively, he looks like he will win easily. But then when he gets edgegaurded, the whole battle changes quickly, even with sonic’s incredible recovery set. I didn’t see any Spinshots, or unlocked Homing Attacks, and for the most part he does the same thing.

Edge Game: His edge game is solid. He can get a bit more brave with it, but for the moment he does what a Sonic is supposed to do, harass offstage opponents with a variety of methods. Not much to complain about here; I’d be nitpicking to tell him to be more aggressive offstage…

Weaknesses: The most obvious weakness is your inconsistency mentally. Your running style at times becomes too linear, and lacks enough cancels and fakes to truly keep an opponent on their toes, to the point where simple spot dodging and shielding will suffice to disrupt your offence. You show the ability to do it, and when you do you become very good, but too often that routine disappears and you fall into easy to see patterns. You need to work on your recovery, especially when you at high percents. There are matches that you lost or almost lost simply because you were to easy to hit once your opponent knocked you upwards. And lastly, focus on understanding the matchups that give you trouble, especially someone like Dedede, who you will always see in tourneys. It would suck if you always get knocked out of a tourney because you gave him chain grabs and up-tilts all day.

Style Verdict: Ground/ Combo/ Edge

The next step for you is to develop your mindgames even more and work more on recovery. Other than that your sonic is very good now.

So yea, that aside, im reading, and im on the fence

Nope, nieces 1st b day party

zCasanova

Smash Lord
Hmm...

Is that critique based off the videos from over the weekend?

I have to disagree with a lot of that. I'm not a Sonic main, but I know you as a player.

Several things he mentions that I've never noticed you having a problem with:

1. Recovery: I've never seen anyone gimp you—ever—what's so bad with your recovery? Since Sonic has a hard time sweet-spotting the ledge, nine times out of ten you recover high and when your opponent gives chase you d-air. The outcome of this situation is usually (a) you hitting them on your way down as they rise, (b) them airdodging through it and being unable to punish you upon landing due to the speed of the move, or (c) them baiting the attack and attempting to punishing you during the move's ending lag, which is extremely difficult because no fast-fall outspeeds Sonic's d-air, meaning you reach the ground before they do. The only characters I've every seen harrass your recovery are those with multiple jumps (D3, Kirby, MK, etc.), because this allows them to reach you at the height of your spring where you're the slowest/have the least aerial mobility.

2. F-smash: How many kills have you gotten with that move? I know it has major start-up lag, and its easily punished, but you generally only use it when the opponent's already used their second jump and you've predicted where their fall is going to lead them—then you use Sonic's speed to get there and you hit them with it as the come out of their airdodge. Other than that set-up, I don't really recall you spamming it or anything, so I can't see how that's a flaw in your gameplay.

3. Edge-game: Again, I just don't see this. You're forever chasing me off-stage with those back airs, low & high. Primarily high, though, you generally go for the 'semi'-spike when someone's recovering below the stage, and then you follow that up with a quick spring to get back to the stage. What else can Sonic do as far as gimping goes? I know the homing attack works on occassion, but it's easy to see and gives plenty of time to react, which, in my mind, results in a wasted attempt that could have been something else. I guess it's one of those mindgame elements of Sonic.

Honestly, if I were to critique you, the only things I would agree with this guy on are:

1. Follow-ups after a blocked spin-combo—stop u-airing!

2. Possibly varying your low-percent approaches. I don't know what Sonic has as far as 'true' combos go, but if they're there, use them.

Those are just observations I've made since we've started playing together. The only thing I could offer to you as a player is using safe moves, and I know you're going to say, "Sonic doesn't have safe moves! No priority, no range = not safe!" However, they don't always have to be 'frame' safe, but just unpredictable.

EX:

jab -> jab cancel -> grab

out of the grab? anything really, and long as you bait the airdodge. BRAWL'S SUCH A MINDGAME!

dtilt -> dash away -> dash attack through opponent

I could be wrong here, but Sonic's dash attack sends you through and behind them, right? Good mix-up when combined with other things.

As a Sonic main, I can't critique you, but as a player, I think you're pretty solid. Once you grasp just how untechnical Brawl is, rather how much of a thinking game it is, I think you'll progress in leaps and bounds.

As I've argued time and time again, it's all about set-ups, brickwalls and traps. In order to win, you have to put your opponent in a position where you can limit their options. This allows you to narrow your next actions down, based on what they have available to them—then you simply respond with the safest thing you have at hand. You won't always get it right, but at the least this will reset the situation to neutral, allowing you to try again.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, key situations for this are when they're on the ledge, they've missed a tech, or they're out of jumps. When your opponent's in one of the above, no matter what character you play, you should ALWAYS be able to get off more damage.

Then comes the next part, which is keeping it unpredictable, because a smart oppoenent will recognize the same set-up once they've seen it used. Now's when you have to be creative, mix it up, try something new, keep them on their toes.

That's Brawl, that's it, learn to do that and you'll have the best Sonic evar.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Lol Nice one Crio. I might be able to make it to the tourney that Devin mentioned. But it's short notice so it's VERY unlikely.

The Director

Smash Lord
I don't feel like driving anywhere for a tournament tomorrow.

Brandon come by this weekend so we can get drunk and play 5 hours of Melee again.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
>.> I found out I might be going to VA this spring break. It's going to be really boring, ontop of homework I have from teachers. Some break

~Kuja~

Smash Cadet
so is anyone planning on going to that tourney tomorrow? Snap i would love to get you, but Lancaster is 2 hours from my house and the tourney is 3 from there, while if i just left from my house it would still be only 3 hours from me... so its an extra 4 hours of driving time. If it wasnt so far i would get you man.

Criosphinx

Smash Lord
I was gonna go to the tournament on Saturday.

But I'm going to a rave tonight instead.

Mega_$m@sh

Smash Journeyman
I.....with the help of my Bro - HAVE FOUND A VENUE TO HOLD MORE TOURNEYS!

IT IS IN THE NEW NEIGHBORHOOD I'M MOVING TO IT HAS MULTIPLE PLUGS AND A PROJECTION SCREEN FOR THE GRAND FINALS PLENTY OF ROOM FOR 20 TO 30 PEOPLE EASY!!!!!

THE RENTAL COST IS 25 BUCKS FOR SEVEN HOURS......AND IF I TALK TO THE OWNER I CAN WORK A DEAL OUT SINCE I WILL BE LIVING THERE.....AS I BEGIN TO MOVE (May 15th) I'LL BE SETTING THINGS UP AT THE HOME THEATER WE WILL BE USING.

I'LL BE LOOKING TO YOU ALL FOR SET-UPS AND SUCH FOR THE EVENT(S) I'M STARTING AROUND JUNE AND I HOPE YOU ALL WILL COME COMPETE AND AID IN MY QUEST FOR SMASH!!!!

@DEV - Help me work out price ranges for venue fee's and entry fee's I'm guessing -
$5 - Venue Fee
$5 - Singles
$5 - maybe Doubles if I can actually make the deal go through

BTW - MY VENUE IS GUARANTEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I CHOOSE WHEN I WANT TO USE IT, SO THE SATURDAY TOURNEYS WILL NEVER DIE EVAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and Devin can stop hosting them at his house

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
so is anyone planning on going to that tourney tomorrow? Snap i would love to get you, but Lancaster is 2 hours from my house and the tourney is 3 from there, while if i just left from my house it would still be only 3 hours from me... so its an extra 4 hours of driving time. If it wasnt so far i would get you man.

thanks for considering it man. eh, ill just wait for the next one :p

Top Bottom