• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

☆The Friendly Neighborhood Tournament☆

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkLeviathan89

Smash Lord
Okay, Chaco. *cracks knuckles*

First of all, a couple of questions.
1. Do you have tap jump ON or OFF? This is important because there are some things that are easier to do with or without tap jump.
2. Do you look at the Yoshi forums or other Yoshi videos for help? I'm just curious because I want to see if your playstyle is derived from anywhere in particular.

What you're doing well on:
1. You're using eggs. Eggs are definitely one of the more versatile moves in Yoshi's arsenal. I see that you're not afraid to use them and you seem to have decent aim with them, so that's always good.

2. You seem to have no problems adapting to Yoshi's unique airplay. That's good because a lot of Yoshi's aerials are great, although situational.

3. You don't kill yourself with your special moves. I still tend to do that sometimes. ~_~

What you need to work on:
1. Use more eggs. Seriously, eggs are wonderful. If someone is stalling on the ledge, use eggs to try to bait them or give them more damage. If someone is coming back to the stage, but they are difficult or dangerous to attack in the air, use eggs. Also, try to remember that eggs are good when they are thrown where the opponent will be, not necessarily where they are at that moment. Also, eggs brings me to number 2.

2. Advanced techniques. Yoshi can do a lot of tricks, some of them with eggs. Egg toss slide is when you move a little while throwing eggs, making either for an approach or backing away from an agressive opponent to give you space. Edge canceled eggs are when you take to the edge and shoot eggs, using the momentum to get back on the ledge between eggs. Note that both of those techniques are affected depending on whether or not you use tap jump. Also, on the Yoshi forums, look up the dragonic reverse, a recently discovered technique which seems to have a lot of potential. I can't do it myself, but you're technically adept (you use IC after all) so maybe you'll have better luck. Again, tap jump is a factor in how easy it is apparently.

3. Special moves. Honestly, you use down B way too much. And side B as well. I'll admit that I tend to overuse them myself sometimes, but they can be punished. For down B, I think it has a lot less priority than before, so attacks like Zelda's up smash will eat it up. And side B can be grabbed out of. Just a few notes though: down B can catch opponents off the ground when it's used on the ground. It's actually more powerful than a down B used in the air, and it's a potential killing move if you're good at predicting where the opponent will go. Side B is a decent attacking move when not overused, but I personally use it to get away from the opponent and give me space, often to throw more eggs. NEVER USE THE SIDE B TO RECOVER. Yoshi already has the insane double jump and the fastest horizontal air movement speed, not to mention the up B. If those cannot save you, the side B won't either.

4. Chain grabs. I saw you try to do this to me one match. Problem is Yoshi can only chain grab certain characters, and Yoshi himself is not one of them. I forget all the characters Yoshi can chain grab, but to my knowledge they include Lucas, Meta Knight, Ganondorf, and Squirtle, and possibly Falco and Sonic as well. I think there's more, look up the chain grab list in the Brawl tactical forum.

5. Aerials. Personally, I prefer the air. *shot* Seriously though, Yoshi's nair is a solid attack that can actually kill in decent percentages. It's fast and can be comboed out of other moves like dair. You know about the power of uair. Try doing rising aerials with the C stick, this especially works for uair, nair, and the fair spike. I've been able to spike people using my air control with a lot of practice. Also, Yoshi has a better edgeguard game thanks to aerials not cancelling his double jump, so use that to your advantage (not just to spike, sometimes the nair works well too, or if you can pull it off, the dair to a footstool).

Sorry if I came across as harsh, but I think that considering all of this will definitely help your Yoshi game. If you have any questions feel free to let me know.

Seventh Sword

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1951-0055-5151
Sorry Lee xD I wasn't exactly awake last night =P 30+ hours without sleep will do that to you x.x And B15, I'm ready to match if you are.

DarkLeviathan89

Smash Lord
Lee, did you ever send me replays...?

I think you and P&N both have the Wii number but I don't think I ever got anything. :ohwell:

Chaco

Never Logs In
Okay, Chaco. *cracks knuckles*

First of all, a couple of questions.
1. Do you have tap jump ON or OFF? This is important because there are some things that are easier to do with or without tap jump.
2. Do you look at the Yoshi forums or other Yoshi videos for help? I'm just curious because I want to see if your playstyle is derived from anywhere in particular.

What you're doing well on:
1. You're using eggs. Eggs are definitely one of the more versatile moves in Yoshi's arsenal. I see that you're not afraid to use them and you seem to have decent aim with them, so that's always good.

2. You seem to have no problems adapting to Yoshi's unique airplay. That's good because a lot of Yoshi's aerials are great, although situational.

3. You don't kill yourself with your special moves. I still tend to do that sometimes. ~_~

What you need to work on:
1. Use more eggs. Seriously, eggs are wonderful. If someone is stalling on the ledge, use eggs to try to bait them or give them more damage. If someone is coming back to the stage, but they are difficult or dangerous to attack in the air, use eggs. Also, try to remember that eggs are good when they are thrown where the opponent will be, not necessarily where they are at that moment. Also, eggs brings me to number 2.

2. Advanced techniques. Yoshi can do a lot of tricks, some of them with eggs. Egg toss slide is when you move a little while throwing eggs, making either for an approach or backing away from an agressive opponent to give you space. Edge canceled eggs are when you take to the edge and shoot eggs, using the momentum to get back on the ledge between eggs. Note that both of those techniques are affected depending on whether or not you use tap jump. Also, on the Yoshi forums, look up the dragonic reverse, a recently discovered technique which seems to have a lot of potential. I can't do it myself, but you're technically adept (you use IC after all) so maybe you'll have better luck. Again, tap jump is a factor in how easy it is apparently.

3. Special moves. Honestly, you use down B way too much. And side B as well. I'll admit that I tend to overuse them myself sometimes, but they can be punished. For down B, I think it has a lot less priority than before, so attacks like Zelda's up smash will eat it up. And side B can be grabbed out of. Just a few notes though: down B can catch opponents off the ground when it's used on the ground. It's actually more powerful than a down B used in the air, and it's a potential killing move if you're good at predicting where the opponent will go. Side B is a decent attacking move when not overused, but I personally use it to get away from the opponent and give me space, often to throw more eggs. NEVER USE THE SIDE B TO RECOVER. Yoshi already has the insane double jump and the fastest horizontal air movement speed, not to mention the up B. If those cannot save you, the side B won't either.

4. Chain grabs. I saw you try to do this to me one match. Problem is Yoshi can only chain grab certain characters, and Yoshi himself is not one of them. I forget all the characters Yoshi can chain grab, but to my knowledge they include Lucas, Meta Knight, Ganondorf, and Squirtle, and possibly Falco and Sonic as well. I think there's more, look up the chain grab list in the Brawl tactical forum.

5. Aerials. Personally, I prefer the air. *shot* Seriously though, Yoshi's nair is a solid attack that can actually kill in decent percentages. It's fast and can be comboed out of other moves like dair. You know about the power of uair. Try doing rising aerials with the C stick, this especially works for uair, nair, and the fair spike. I've been able to spike people using my air control with a lot of practice. Also, Yoshi has a better edgeguard game thanks to aerials not cancelling his double jump, so use that to your advantage (not just to spike, sometimes the nair works well too, or if you can pull it off, the dair to a footstool).

Sorry if I came across as harsh, but I think that considering all of this will definitely help your Yoshi game. If you have any questions feel free to let me know.
Well, tap jump depends with me, I always have it off when I play ICs and sometime that carries over to my Yoshi. So most of them time it is off. But when I was playing CHerring it was on. Yeah, I tend to OU Side and Down B. And speaking of using side B as a recovery, I accidentally did it to Cherring and got hung on the edge. o.o But thanks for this, and I do have a few questions, when you do edge cancelled eggs, how do you get your angle soo extreme? Also, I haven't even been to the Yoshi area but once, it was a ghost town. But I need to go back and look up the dragonic reverse, as I have seen it done. I like the way it is used, but the first time I tried I failed. So, well, I'm going to need to take this all in and use it. I've been using Yoshi online now instead of my Ice Climbers, due to how easily you can mess up online with them. o.o;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom