• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

★ Taste of Armageddon! ★ KOTC Sponsored! 6/12

★J.G WentWorth★

Smash Champion
I need a partner for this. vBrawl, B-, either works.

EDIT: When are we allowed to stay until?
You can stay in the venue till midnight. But the Tourny will be over and packed/cleaned up wayyy before that.

QFT

I might come to this for brawl-
So many people coming back from retirement for this. <3 all you.

omg theres a sonic 1 min from venue and red lobster couple of miles and white castle, taco bell, tgi fridays, etc

aaaaaah **** diets.
You heard it here First.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
providing I don't drive to vgc, can someone come pick me up there when I'm done? like betweeen singles and dubs. I'll be 15 min away

Kaiber Kop

Smash Master
The last SJC (the last last final one) hat 2,500 entrants.

It was the 2nd largest card game tournament ever(2nd to a magic tournament at 2,700 people)
Wow! Didn't know about that one.
idk anything about yugioh but are there consistent winners?
Consistent players invited to nationals? Yes.

Consistent players winnng nationals and world championships(like M2k and ally in brawl)? No
Red Lobster is the only one worth cheating on my diet for.
It's too good.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Yeah, Kai, I even went to that one. I thought you were going to be there actually. I hadn't entered an event since the GLAS sneak (my friend got his stuff stolen, so we quit), but some other friends of mine got me a deck and pressured me into going so I was there. Straight up huge. Convention +++ size. I'd be willing to bet that it was legitimately larger than all of MLG combined. (I did decently)

Yes, there are consistent winners in YGO. It's metagame is also challenging, because you have to keep inventing new strategies to accommodate for the new cards that come out and cards too powerful are banned or limited for future use, so the same strategies don't keep winning for years and years. At most the longest a single deck will reign is like 6 months, since the ban list is updated every March and September, and new packs come out all the time (I wanna say every three months per boosters, and there are other ways new cards get introduced into the game).

It requires intensive knowledge of a huge pool of cards, similar to needing to know about every character's moveset in Brawl. There are also lots of rulings, and you'll need to be well studied to compete on a high level. Sidedecking is like a counter-picking (kinda, there's more limits than in Brawl CPing.)

Card game scenes are massively larger, because when you buy a pack of cards, you're naturally going to want to discover channels to compete with them. Video games are still not at that level where people automatically assume competition, and most are still single player based.

Thanks to MLG though, we still have better prizes than them though.

I do think it's interesting though, that both Pokemon and Card games (I figured I might as well include Magic and other successful card games) surgically alter their metagames though banning (promoting Pokemon to Uber tier) instead of letting people use every resource available and making that the metagame. They also release new content (Pokemon release new games with new Pokemon, and Card games releases new cards). All of these scenes are generally more successful than video games, despite heavily going against Sirlin's suggestion of letting the game's rules be the primary one, instead of dictating what's allowed "arbitrarily" (I use that term very loosely, as I realize there's a system that people use to ban things).

tl;dr

YGO is skill based and has consistent winners, and it's actually difficult, because a shifting metagame means players need to invent new strategies and be innovative in order to stay ahead of the pack. This is true of Pokemon and other card games, which surgically alter the metagame, but remain very popular, probably due to the way the games are presented initially.

(Unless something obviously broken like Infernities are released, so dumb, I hate them. Imagine MK with an aura boost)

ShippoFoxFire

Smash Lord
Actually Pierce, what Magic and Pokemon TCG does to balance out the metagame is release cards in sets, and old sets are not allowed to be used (except basic energy and lands).

Through rebalancing and rewording of cards people cannot get confused and older sets are no longer viable in competitive play(that does not mean you can casually play with any card from any set)

This, though costs a lot more money, prevents banning of cards (except for like a handfull smaller than yugioh's semi-limited list), and allows a dynamic strategy with each generation.

ch33s3

Smash Lord
I'm driving from the city, hit me up for a ride. I have to leave right after Singles, because I have plans Saturday night.

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
OK so J.G is putting me in charge of Brawl-.

If the singles and doubles for regular brawl does not finish by 7 PM, this side event will NOT be happening.

We need 3 setups to run this event. If we have any less, it will NOT happen.

Brawl- Version 1.0 Beta will be used. Not the one just released. It'd suck to only give you people one day to adjust to the new changes.

I'll have a drive with brawl- files with me to drag to an sd card that'll be used in the event.

Rules are the exact same as normal singles rules for this tournament. No characters will be banned.

5 dollar entry fee. Any questions PM me.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
So, if we just bring an empty SD card, and Homebrew on the
setups we use, you can make it work with those 2 things?

I personally have HBC and will have an empty SD card when
I get there.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Well, I'd prefer to enter an event with less broken characters (Yoshi/Pika/Luigi) where my character is going to suck less (there is no way Marth will have the worst recovery by far anymore...I hope).

Top Bottom