• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Über-pro Falcon guide by AngeloBangelo OMFG VERSION 2.00 IS OUT!!!1

Hara

Smash Apprentice
Superb guide mate. Has helped me quite alot in learning Falcon from the scratch.

Now it's time to fine tune what i know and kick some serious @$$!

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Best. Guide. Ever.

This beats the **** out of any guide I've read thus far. Totally. Though, I'm sorry to break it to you but Captain Falcon's muscles > Yours. As a matter of fact, we only see 10% of his muscle mass at any one point, for if he flexed his hardest the universe would break.

Cups

Smash Ace
Hey angelo, this really was a great guide, thanks a lot. But I have trouble chaining uairs, and I think it is because I use the analog and a for it, and it's hard not to use the second jump. Should I switch to the c-stick? I'd hate to relearn my game, is there any training advice you have?

AngeloBangelo

Smash Lord
Hey angelo, this really was a great guide, thanks a lot. But I have trouble chaining uairs, and I think it is because I use the analog and a for it, and it's hard not to use the second jump. Should I switch to the c-stick? I'd hate to relearn my game, is there any training advice you have?
You basically just have to switch to C-stick or become Isai. And you CANNOT become Isai no matter how hard you try.

Honestly, I just recommend taking a few steps backwards and relearning to Uair with the C-stick.

Cups

Smash Ace
Got it, I'm not Isai, check. lol. But hey it was a lot easier to change over than I thought, my uair combos are already a lot better, thanks man.

Cups

Smash Ace
Angelo, does moonwalking really matter? It just seems to be for show and not too effective. All of these people keep telling me it is absolutely necessary and stuff, but I watch darkrain and isai and they don't use it too often.

AngeloBangelo

Smash Lord
I would say no. Falcownage was the first time I've actually attempted moonwalking, so I obviously don't find it useful. On a scale of 1-10 I'd probably give it a 2 on how vital it is to becoming a solid Falcon player.

Cups

Smash Ace
Yeah, by the way, great vid, really informative. It was tough for me to chain nairs, but I'm getting better at it. Keep being tough.

urban_shinobi

Smash Journeyman
i SHFFL......badly. i want to know when I should down, and what the animation for the L/R pull hsoiuld look like ( if the shield is supposed to come up after the fast land)

AngeloBangelo

Smash Lord
i SHFFL......badly. i want to know when I should down, and what the animation for the L/R pull hsoiuld look like ( if the shield is supposed to come up after the fast land)
With any aerial besides Nair, it can be summed up like this. Consider there are 2 parts to an aerial. The part in which you're flying through the air(Before or after an aerial), and the part in which the attack is connecting with the opponent. You CANNOT fastfall while you're in the middle of connecting with an attack. Fastfall right after the animation of you hitting the opponent ends. Hit L/R/Z almost immediately after (No other real way to explain when to hit it. Maybe 0.25 seconds after). You'll get the hang of it. You can FF before an attack since there will be no lag time when you land. Maybe do this if you think that your aerial is going to get shielded or when you land you'll be in a crappy position if the aerial does not connect for whatever reason (Insert wavelanding here).

There is no animation for successfully nailing an L-cancel, if that's what you're asking. If you can jump up and do another aerial before your opponent hits the ground (And their percentage is relatively low) chances are that you've successfully SHFFLed.

With SHFFLing a Nair, just FF/LC right after you land the second kick (Be sure to DI backwards a bit if you have momentum or you will only land one of the kicks which is usually not cool unless you're landing one kick into a grab).

I think that about sums it up. Post again if you need more clarification. That might get confusing. :/

thechunkylover

Smash Apprentice
This noob ( me ) has a few questions.

with the Uair- Uair- Knee combo where would you be to your opponent, and at what percentages?

You made falcownage?

Do you have a link to it?

AngeloBangelo

Smash Lord
This noob ( me ) has a few questions.

with the Uair- Uair- Knee combo where would you be to your opponent, and at what percentages?

You made falcownage?

Do you have a link to it?
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=68307
^-Falcownage

The UairUairKnee percentage very from character to character. I haven't played for a while and I can't test it on a cube so someone else will have to help you. :'(

The opponent should be slightly above and in front of you (Like a low damage Luigi after an Uthrow). Throw out a Uair when he is only slightly above you during your aerial, and moreso in front of you so you hit with the tip of your foot. This sends them farther forward allowing another Uair. The higher you send them, the higher you have to go to hit them again, which means after 1-2 Uairs you will waste a double jump to hit them again, and the combo will end there. Although several Uairs in a row are capable (Like 5-6 if you're darklink vs that Sheik... Hahaha) it's hard to do without a lot of practice.

Just practice sending the opponent more horizontally than vertically Uairing after an Uthrow in training mode and you'll get the hang of it.

sheikattack

Smash Cadet
Great guide, this definitely helped improve my Falcon. His speed is so fast, I usually ended up falling off myself. But practicing SHFFLing made a huge difference. Noe I'm doing combos left and right. Thanks a lot!

Baamage

Smash Apprentice
Awesome guide, a great intro to Falcon for me.

You forgot to mention that you can use Z to l-cancel. I always use because it's simply easier and faster to press than the R or L buttons.

And another con you (didn't feel like putting in/forgot) was that Falcon has no projectiles. That alone is what set me off of him for a very long time. Until now, of course.

And so yea. Informative and uberawesome guide.

JFizzle

Smash Apprentice
about the Uair-Uair-Knee combo, here is something i posted in the g-reg combo thread...

Jiggs @0% - Dair-Knee-Knee (i.e. after a missed rest, after u taunt, of course)
Link and Ganon@43% and Marth@30% - Raptor Boost-Uair-Uair-Knee (u can add another Uair if u have room to guarantee the kill, and so u can show off, which is a plus for CF players)
Link @0% - Raptor Boost-Usmash-Knee-JC Grab-whatever

audreyh

Smash Ace
"Sometimes when you’re comboing someone with Nairs, like a Link or something, you’ll notice that they’ll DI up or whichever way… This is when your Falcon comboing skills are truly tested. Don’t go straight after them, wait until they go into what I’m going to refer to as the “Nair zone”. The Nair zone is basically the spot where you can SHFFL Nairs and send them just high/far enough to land another one. Obviously if you Uthrow your opponent and hit them at the top of your first jump with a Nair, you’re not going to combo into another one. Wait until someone is in the Nair zone if you plan to juggle them with Nairs only. Here’s a picture of what I consider the Nair zone."

um, I hope that simply by me quoting this section you'll get the point that this makes no sense at all. it doesn't count as a combo if you have to wait for them to fall... you don't want people recovering =p

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Wow F-zero was made in my birth month and year, that's freaking cool. Anyway I gotta start playing as Falcon, he has potential.

AngeloBangelo

Smash Lord
"Sometimes when you’re comboing someone with Nairs, like a Link or something, you’ll notice that they’ll DI up or whichever way… This is when your Falcon comboing skills are truly tested. Don’t go straight after them, wait until they go into what I’m going to refer to as the “Nair zone”. The Nair zone is basically the spot where you can SHFFL Nairs and send them just high/far enough to land another one. Obviously if you Uthrow your opponent and hit them at the top of your first jump with a Nair, you’re not going to combo into another one. Wait until someone is in the Nair zone if you plan to juggle them with Nairs only. Here’s a picture of what I consider the Nair zone."

um, I hope that simply by me quoting this section you'll get the point that this makes no sense at all. it doesn't count as a combo if you have to wait for them to fall... you don't want people recovering =p
You can wait and extra second depending on percentages. If they're too low Uair with basically serve the same purpose if you hit them with the tip of your foot when they're coming down. They're just sent more upwards obviously

audreyh

Smash Ace
part of being smart is knowing how long exactly they will stay stunned for. You can hit them with a uair, then sheild and sheild grab, in that instance... of course depending on the DI. Or often when a single shffl'd uair won't do, try a fulljump double uair.. the first uair's hitbox can hit low enough where it can hit many characters that are still standing.
another trick is to empty sh, bait them to either do an aerial which you can punish by dashing then grabbing (or anything else) or they'll double jump which you can harshly punish or take a stock for.

Excel_Zero

Smash Lord
Nice I must say. You should add that Falcon can chaingrab space animals with uthrow (not sure if he can CC himself) at mid-high % (around 70 or 80 you can start I believe). You can even get some downtilts (+100%) to knees. I must say this is essential against space animals, since if you grab around 60% and do things right it's the end of their stock.

Steel Wing

Smash Rookie
Sweet this guide really helped me get a feel for Captain. Thanks I liked him in the N64 version so I might have to try him out in the Game cube version.

(P.S. I'm really new to this game)

technomancer

Smash Champion
You forgot to add "Make sure to arrange $100 money matches with a bunch of people you never met"

technomancer

Smash Champion
Nice I must say. You should add that Falcon can chaingrab space animals with uthrow (not sure if he can CC himself) at mid-high % (around 70 or 80 you can start I believe). You can even get some downtilts (+100%) to knees. I must say this is essential against space animals, since if you grab around 60% and do things right it's the end of their stock.
Uthrow to dtilt to regrab works at around 70% (from there the obvious next move is uthrow nair knee ****in darkrain that ****). So many Falcon players I see forget about the dtilt as a combo continuer from the uthrow, it enables you to start ****** a solid 20-30% earlier if they don't DI out of range.

Sorry for double postage :/

Excel_Zero

Smash Lord
Well I'm not sure about the exact %. But I find safer to go straight to the knee after the uthrow and forget about the nair, unless you are confident enough of your nair comboing, which is not my case :\

SirNegroJuice

Smash Journeyman
You cannot chain-throw the space animals at 70-80% if they DI away. You cannot start chain-throwing them until they're over 100% or so. If you manage to throw them at around 80% and they miss their chance to DI, it's usually better to just f-smash them.

spip.nl

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the great info!

I've had my cube w/ ssbm since it was released in japan (import ^^, i'm from the Netherlands) but only recently discovered all the extra techniques that are available.
So, i'm learning a lot here.

Thanks again.

tw0 side

Smash Apprentice
Nice guide, must've took a while to put together. Though, thanks for the great tips.

Fordo35@aol.com

Smash Rookie
Thanks man, your guide has inspired me to pick up C. Falcon again. I used him exclusively in the N64 days, when in my opinion he had a better forward smash (no delay) and his back toos could throw you much farther and was easy to chain on less experienced players. I won a bunch of local tournaments in the NYC and Long Island areas but I honestly don't think I ever played anyone as good as the Melee players I've seen.

I stopped using Captain Falcon in Melee because I never really acclimated to the re-adjusted Falcon, it was just so weird and I felt like they gimped him, (at the time).

There's just something about losing with the Captain that I can't stand, it makes me feel like I wronged him.

So I became scared of ever touching him and he fell out of use. Since then I've basically just been using every character and mixing it up depending on who I'm playing against. I miss having that old standby "My best character".

After seeing what you and other people can do with Falcon, I'm convinced that he's even deadlier than before.

It'll probably take more skill than I'm capable of to master him, but as long as I can use Falcon to knock the **** out of the Marth, Luigi,and Link in my dorms, I'll be happy.

Thanks again, man!

SCOTU

Smash Hero
just for the record... the shdl does have a lot of real uses in matches, it's not just for showing off. but excellent guide, although CF's combos seem all like they're dependant on where the enemy goes, but the right move is always apparent. But people new to CF might not know exactly what chains together, so i'm glad you added that section.

FireFly

Smash Lord
this is a great guide i have to try all of those combos out sometime. i know i have done one weird combo in a falcon ditto with a uthrow > tech chase > dtilt > uair > knee. dont quite remember if my opponent was doing DI correctly or not

Top Bottom