• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~§~ Puerto Rico: Land of overlooked accomplishments ~§~

Uriel Vinellus

Smash Ace
If I get beat my a Sheik or by a Peach I'm going to be P*ssed. I hate thw "Whorenado" too much. Not only does it combo you it has great ability for edge guarding and has a thousand disjointed hit boxes.
And Sheik... even my little cousin could kill me once using Sheik. Sheik may not be cheap but I don't like that she can combo without almost any effort.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
Dojima said:
First off all Eval I don't know you and I don't even know what is this "Whorenado" so I doubt I am goin to be eating anything soon. Yes I think we will meet at the Tournament though. Let's meet at the Tournament, and last, Shiek is not cheap, she is just user friendly.
I think it is a tornado made by a "w h o r e" (get it?) whorenado!

He is insulting your sheik or peach or whatever.

KEEP TRAINING GUYS!
....later :psycho:

Relix

Smash Rookie
I wanna kick *** with Luigi. Dammit, why is there no one close to me that plays the game! I am really looking forward to Smash on Revolution... just imagine online SMASH!!! I could play day and night =). I just hope they leave my beloved Luigi intact. Btw, my sister is 12 old, and she asked me if she could go... any probs with that? She's good with Captain Falcon :). She's been bugging me so there.....I ASKED! Now... let's throw the Smashfest.....I wanna play already! The Isla Verde apartment sounds alright though........ as long as we dont wreck it, it will be alright! =D

Doval

Smash Lord
Dojima said:
First off all Eval I don't know you and I don't even know what is this "Whorenado" so I doubt I am goin to be eating anything soon. Yes I think we will meet at the Tournament though. Let's meet at the Tournament, and last, Shiek is not cheap, she is just user friendly.
If you ask me it's both. Shiek is cheap because she's user friendly. I mean, Fox is cheap, and don't get me started on Marth, but you need to know more advanced techs to be able to be cheap with Fox. Sheik has much of the deadliness, speed, and comboability Fox has, for less effort. Dash attacks and tilts and finish with a forward air. The other day Carlos picked up Sheik for the first time and he was giving my Fox trouble. Jandro did the same and he too gave my Fox trouble. Plus, he/she can turn into Zelda. How do you counterpick that? Seems nigh impossible to me. But hey, I'm not gonna criticize your character choice. I use Fox and he's top tier. If you like Sheik, go ahead.

Oh and a whorenado is what you get when you Down Smash with Peach. It's a combo in-a-box that'll do about 24% damage to you if you're lucky. If you haven't experienced this you should be very cautious ^^;

Jandro, get us that place with your grandpa, I wanna play these guys D: I'm tired of Carlos doing SHL and meteorshine combos all over the place =P

Xyhthyx

Smash Journeyman
Whorenado lol, I hate that move. I only hate it because I haven't gotten use to *not* crouch canceling when up against Peach, I get punished for doing it big time. Anyways, guys want to do a smash fest in aguadilla one saturday? Aguadilla stands between the two but it's still a long drive, 2.5hrs from metro and 45min-1hr from Mayaguez. If you're up for it let me know, if not then I guess we'll meet at the tourney.

HDL

I like pork chops.
BRoomer
Doji, Eval = Edgar. You don’t know him? I thought you did, you guys play at the same place with Maximus. Now you confuse me.

I still need to know about teams. So far I only know of like three teams and no one else has told me anything regarding this. I need to know who’s going with who and the names of the teams. If you don’t tell me, I will mow you with the Master Sword. Please tell me it makes things a lot simpler.

As far as top tier characters. Basically they’re not broken, but they’re top tier because they are very easy to win with compared to the rest of the cast. And they’re easy to win with because they have a lot going for them. Remember, easy to use and easy to win with are two different things. Sheik and Fox are the easiest characters to use and win with, Marth is not as easy to use or win with but still relatively easy when compared to other characters. But on the opposite side of the spectrum, Pichu is very easy to use but difficult to win with. The latter factors into his tier placing more than the former. But tiers are not all that important anyway minus a few drastic cases. Give me Link anyday.

Wolf E. Urameshi

Smash Journeyman
OK I'm back. Welcome all new members of this thread. My name's Wolf and I love to use Pikachu, although I'm very skilled with any character. I don't like to use advanced moves except wavedashing but I'm still a force to be reckoned with. I don't like Pokemon but PIKACHU WILL USE A METAL GEAR AND DELIVER ULTIMATE PAIN!!! LOL, J/K. BTW, I live in Lares AND I WANT THIS TOURNAMENT!!!

Dojima

Smash Ace
Lord HDL said:
Doji, Eval = Edgar. You don’t know him? I thought you did, you guys play at the same place with Maximus. Now you confuse me.

As far as top tier characters. Basically they’re not broken, but they’re top tier because they are very easy to win with compared to the rest of the cast. And they’re easy to win with because they have a lot going for them. Remember, easy to use and easy to win with are two different things. Sheik and Fox are the easiest characters to use and win with, Marth is not as easy to use or win with but still relatively easy when compared to other characters.
No I don't, I'm another Doji...... pararell universe one >_>.
I see that you compare Fox and Sheik, but there is a world of diference in learning how to use Fox to Sheik. You can just grab Sheik and button mash your way to victory while with fox you still need to learn L-cancel and thats just for starters, because if you really want a good fox you will have to learn to control his speed and also wavedash and waveshine.

HDL

I like pork chops.
BRoomer
Two Dojis that play black Link! It’s a dimensional flux I tell you.

Actually, I wasn’t comparing Sheik to Fox, I was using them examples as being easy to use and win with. With Fox you don’t need to l-cancel, or wavedash, waveshine, etc. You don’t even need to be fast. If you have good mind games, all you really need is simple stuff like running up smash, up throw to up aerial, back aerial, neutral aerial, and shine spikes. In fact, if you have good mind games those are the ONLY moves you’d ever need to use. You don’t have to be fast or do these drill infinites. This is why Fox is one of the top characters as far as ease of use goes, because even though doing all his advanced stuff requires great technical skill, he doesn’t need all of that stuff in order to win. All you need is the mind games. Same with Sheik. If you have experience and strong mind games all you really need are the tilts and forward aerials. Maybe some grabs, needles, and back aerials to help out. But for someone like Link, you need to use his stuff. Projectiles, down smash, forward smashes, up tilt, all aerials, sweetspotted hookshot, proper spacing, etc. All this and it’s still harder for him to win than a Sheik using only half of her moves.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
I'm not having any teams,

I'm a lone wolf... Oh, about the whorenado peach can get a heavy character and give him up to 75%(if you are good)

....later

Uriel Vinellus

Smash Ace
The "whorenado" doesn't depend on skill but on situation. If Fox Falco or any other fastfaller falls into the "whorenado" he will get at least 28 or 32 % if he DIs away maybe less. If you get 78% from the "whorenado" it's beause you CC or it captured you again for not DIing right or by just dumb bad luck.

maximuspita

Smash Ace
Whorenado is all skill. It provides with good damage, nice and annoying knockback, edgeguarding, punishing rolls, missed l'cancels, etc. You cant just spam the dsmash and expect to win if the other dude knows what he is doing. He'll probably lose a stock but will come back with a vengence. Careful use, timing and placement of the dsmash is important for a peach player. Just because it is simple to implement does not imply lack of skill.

I can equally argumentize that shinespike is cheap cause all you need is jump out get close and press down and b or that falco's spike is broken cause all you have to do is shffl the d-air and the other dude dies.

HDL

I like pork chops.
BRoomer
Ok everyone. Maximus has informed me that the date we’re aiming for is Saturday October 22nd. There’s still the possibility it can be changed, but now that is the date of the tournament. Get ready and make preparations for the 22nd. Make sure you tell your parents ahead of time (if necessary) that you’ll be attending it on that date. And I suggest that you all bring at least $25 with you in case you want to enter both singles, doubles, and also have some money to buy food, drinks, etc. For those of you who saw my thread on the MSN group, there have been some changes to the ruleset (and possibly a name change as well, we’re trying to think of something more fitting). We’ll let you know all the details soon. Right now I’d like people to confirm for me that they will be attending/contributing things now that we have the date.

Also we need to know if anyone has outlet extensions we can use. So far we’ll be having like 13 TVs, 13, cubes, and 3 VCRs (last time I checked my lists), which means we’ll be needing nearly 30 outlets to support everything at once. We need outlet extensions to use, as the center has outlets but not enough to accomodate for everything. If you have any please let me know if you can bring it. Each one that’s brought has several outlets so we need a good 5 or 6 of these just for good measure.

Uriel Vinellus

Smash Ace
Maximus thanks for proving a point I made in a discussion with a friend. I wish you would tell him those exact words in his face so as to put an end to a silly discussion. It's true you can't just spam it. But it's difficult to approach Peach when she's doing it when I tried to hit her with my Nair a stupid hit box interrupted me and nearly killed me. Plus like Doval said it's a combo in a box , killer for fast fallers. I could be approaching and since "whorenado" has wierd hit boxes it can get me. Lately I've been able to avoid it because I'm getting used to it. But man you do one mistake and POOF! You are dead. That well placed move can change the tide of battle.

maximuspita

Smash Ace
Most chars with projectiles will punish a spammer, the only char that has problems with peach is cfalcon and even he can fight back (when peach dsmashes a big hitbox is exposed over the top of the char). Also if the peach REALLY likes to use the dsmash then baiting the smash should be easy, and you get to hit her with impunity due to the length of the move. Also tell your friend to go visit sirlin.net and check the Play to win section. It owns

Wolf E. Urameshi

Smash Journeyman
Hmmmm... Nice…

Oh yeah, until now I have been spreading the word regarding the tournament, and a ton of people have become interested. I will see if I can get full lists and submit them to LordHDL for revision.

Dojima

Smash Ace
Uriel Vinellus said:
Let's try and keep this community based. If too many people join it's goin to be a disaster.
I doubt that we will be able to max out, we can handle around 100 people, If we have 20 Tv's we will be able to get the first matches done in 5 match ups, then half of the people is eliminated and things will go even faster, What I really doubt is that we will have many people willing to pay the entry fee of 10$ to play in the tournament. So the more people know the better.

HDL

I like pork chops.
BRoomer
We can still have a lot of people. Anyone is welcome, but I’d like to try to avoid getting involved with sponsors/business if I can. Anyway, here is the new ruleset:

Singles

-Round Robin (ending in single elimination)
-Sets of best 2/3, finals best 3/5
-4 stock
-8:00 minute time limit
-No Items
-Ties broken by SUDDEN DEATH!!!!!!shift+1 (lol...)
-Advanced Slob Picks (winner picks character, then loser picks character, then loser picks stage)
-First stage random, others available for counterpicks
-Random stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi’s Story, Fountain of Dreams, Dream Land, Pokémon Stadium, Corneria, Onett

-Available Stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Fountain of Dreams, Dream Land, Pokémon Stadium, Corneria, Yoshi’s Story, Kongo Jungle (waterfall), Jungle Japes, Princess Peach’s Castle, Onett, Fourside, Mute City, Venom, Brinstar, Kongo Jungle 64, Green Greens

-Stage Knockout: Each player knocks out one stage from the available random stage picks at the beginning of a set, but the stages may later be counterpicked.

-Suicide’s Restart Rule: I decided to add this because it seems very reasonable for a tournament like this that has plenty of available stages. When a match starts and a player does not want to play the randomly selected stage, he/she has three (3) seconds to pause and quit the match so long as no lives were lost. Each person can do it only once per set (maximum of two times per set if both players opt to do so).

-Dave’s Stupid Rule: No stage can be played twice in one set.

Teams (same as above)

-10:00 minute time limit
-Life stealing allowed
-Friendly Fire ON

An issue has presented itself concerning the reservation for our event at RUM, so the entry fee for singles will most likely be $15. Remember, the higher the entry fee the bigger the prize. I have to keep it at this range due to something that is out of my control (speak to Maximus if you want more details on that). If that’s changed I will post about it. Doubles retains the $10 per person fee. Also to remind those that are contributing, remember to label your items with your name to prevent confusion in case other people have the same/similar items that you do. And bring bookbags to keep your stuff in so plastic bags don’t get mixed up. Labeling will help immensely.

Now for an explanation of how our round robin format will work. For more accurate seeding we will split people into pools. Each pool’s number of people is determined by how many participants attend and how many pools we divide them into. Your matches will be with every person in your same pool, and your round ends once you’ve played everyone. In order to increase in rank you must gain as many points as possible. You earn points by winning matches, and if you have the most points you win from your pool. The winners of all pools will be added together for another pool and they play each other. Depending on the number of people this may happen a few times. After the number of people is reduced we will move on to a single elimination bracket. Each person will play only one match with a person they are up against, and will be knocked out if they lose. However, if you’re knocked out you still stand a chance of winning the tournament if you have the most points, so aim to win every match you can. If in the event we are running short on time we may have to cut the matches to 3 stock, but with everyone’s cooperation we shouldn’t have to do that. Please make sure you label your stuff and arrive on time. We can’t cater to late people after the tournament starts as it’ll disrupt our progress. Make sure you are present. As of now we don’t have a time yet but we will soon. Keep October 22nd plastered in your mind.

Also keep this in mind. Running a tournament is not as easy as it seems. You can’t just say "yeah, let’s do a tournament it’ll be fun" and expect it to happen. I appreciate that people are willing to contribute, but remember Maximus and I will be doing pretty much ALL the work that you guys are not doing. We’re the hosts and have a ton of work to be done. Everything we have planned so far including the date and ruleset should be completely acceptable to all. If I was able to have the entry fee at $10 I would but because of something that’s out of my hands it needs to be at $15 (and that’s the norm considering that many tournaments in the states have $20 entry fees, like DA’s "The Gauntlet" series, although I think lately they lowered it to $15). It is very fair and I think it would be disrespectful to give Maximus and I more cause to worry about. Please try to cooperate as best as you can because Maximus and I have a mountain of tasks to take care of that most people do not see. I have been PMing him back and forth behind the scenes about these matters that the public cannot see. If I have some understanding and cooperation, Maximus and I can host a very successful tournament that you guys would no doubt enjoy. That’s all I ask for.

Xyhthyx

Smash Journeyman
I think Onett should be an available stage, but just not on the random picks. It has random factors (the cars), good stage but the cars (just like bullet bill in peach's castle) is why I don't think it should be on random.

HDL

I like pork chops.
BRoomer
Edit: Nevermind. I guess it was too difficult.

Random factors are not good enough reason to decide whether a stage like Onett should be taken out of the random stage list. There are random factors in things like Pokémon Stadium changing, the Arwing appearing in Corneria, and the wind in Dream Land. It would be understandable if it was a drastic case like Big Blue, but Onett’s cars is hardly a good enough reason. The cars come at set intervals and you are warned way ahead in advance before they pass by. What about Corneria? You’re never warned when the Arwing comes or be able to dodge it as easily as the cars in Onett. At least in Onett you can only get hit if you’re at the bottom, and chances are since you get warned you won’t let yourself get hit. In Corneria the Arwing’s shots are more unpredictable and harder to dodge and yet the stage is perfectly viable in tournament play. There is nothing wrong with Onett.

Random factors aren’t legitimate reasons unless they are too drastic. And none of the stages on the random list fit that description. Maximus and I have carefully reviewed the random and available stage picks and you can be assured that they are all fair and acceptable. Sure people may like to play on FD more than some of the other diverse stages, but that doesn’t make them any less fair. FD is actually not that fair when you consider that it caters to many characters like Samus, Falco, Link, Fox, Sheik, Peach, etc. A stage like Onett would be more fair since there are platforms that allow you to escape people abusing projectiles, chain throws, and also walls that you can tech from. In FD you don’t have the platform options to deal with projectiles, you can and will get caught in chain throws, and there aren’t any walls to tech from unless you’re doing something like teching off the stage after being spiked by Marth. Random factors like the cars also prevent certain characters like Sheik from abusing chain throws and other such things. So yes whether people want to believe it or not Onett is way more fair than a stage like FD. Also stages like Dream Land, Pokémon Stadium, and Corneria are more fair than FD. Hell, I had Brinstar on the random stage list but in the interest of fairness I substituted it for Onett. And, at Maximus’s proposal, I included Dave’s Stupid Rule so people do not get horribly disadvantaged by other people trying to abuse stages like FD over and over.

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
Lord HDL said:
Two Dojis that play black Link! It’s a dimensional flux I tell you.

Actually, I wasn’t comparing Sheik to Fox, I was using them examples as being easy to use and win with. With Fox you don’t need to l-cancel, or wavedash, waveshine, etc. You don’t even need to be fast. If you have good mind games, all you really need is simple stuff like running up smash, up throw to up aerial, back aerial, neutral aerial, and shine spikes. In fact, if you have good mind games those are the ONLY moves you’d ever need to use. You don’t have to be fast or do these drill infinites. This is why Fox is one of the top characters as far as ease of use goes, because even though doing all his advanced stuff requires great technical skill, he doesn’t need all of that stuff in order to win. All you need is the mind games. Same with Sheik. If you have experience and strong mind games all you really need are the tilts and forward aerials. Maybe some grabs, needles, and back aerials to help out. But for someone like Link, you need to use his stuff. Projectiles, down smash, forward smashes, up tilt, all aerials, sweetspotted hookshot, proper spacing, etc. All this and it’s still harder for him to win than a Sheik using only half of her moves.
hahaha one of the more humerous posts i have read in a long time :p crazy puerto ricans, anywase yea cmon hdl dont over exagerate how hard link is to play. hes all l canceling aight guy and mind games, fox is all tech, sheik is as much mind games as link she is just a better char so wins more. just because u are a low tier player doesnt give u the right to state bs statements about chars :p hdl ur posts need to stop one of these days :)

HDL

I like pork chops.
BRoomer
Dude, stop stalking me for crying out loud. Stop pestering me about what I say about smash. Don’t start with the racism. And don’t tell me (or imply) that what I say is bull****. Go find a hobby, I implore you. And this is the PR thread. This is for us to discuss our competitive scene and such, not for people like you to tell smash vets that they’re full of ****. I don’t care how unknowledgeable you may think I am, you need to step back and give me my breathing room. Yet you can’t even do that much. You harass me on AIM and stalk me and my posts in different forums. For all that knows peace remove yourself from my being, thank you.

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
hdl u need to calm down, ive talked to you once on aim because some kid gave me ur sn and told me to ask you something, second ive replied to your posts once in one thread so this stalking crap..... yea idk about that.

2nd cunningkitsune happend to point this out to me because ur post is truely funny to read therefore i read it and replied, its the truth and have a nice day sir.

Xyhthyx

Smash Journeyman
Lord HDL said:
Edit: Nevermind. I guess it was too difficult.

Random factors are not good enough reason to decide whether a stage like Onett should be taken out of the random stage list. There are random factors in things like Pokémon Stadium changing, the Arwing appearing in Corneria, and the wind in Dream Land. It would be understandable if it was a drastic case like Big Blue, but Onett’s cars is hardly a good enough reason. The cars come at set intervals and you are warned way ahead in advance before they pass by. What about Corneria? You’re never warned when the Arwing comes or be able to dodge it as easily as the cars in Onett. At least in Onett you can only get hit if you’re at the bottom, and chances are since you get warned you won’t let yourself get hit. In Corneria the Arwing’s shots are more unpredictable and harder to dodge and yet the stage is perfectly viable in tournament play. There is nothing wrong with Onett.

Random factors aren’t legitimate reasons unless they are too drastic. And none of the stages on the random list fit that description. Maximus and I have carefully reviewed the random and available stage picks and you can be assured that they are all fair and acceptable. Sure people may like to play on FD more than some of the other diverse stages, but that doesn’t make them any less fair. FD is actually not that fair when you consider that it caters to many characters like Samus, Falco, Link, Fox, Sheik, Peach, etc. A stage like Onett would be more fair since there are platforms that allow you to escape people abusing projectiles, chain throws, and also walls that you can tech from. In FD you don’t have the platform options to deal with projectiles, you can and will get caught in chain throws, and there aren’t any walls to tech from unless you’re doing something like teching off the stage after being spiked by Marth. Random factors like the cars also prevent certain characters like Sheik from abusing chain throws and other such things. So yes whether people want to believe it or not Onett is way more fair than a stage like FD. Also stages like Dream Land, Pokémon Stadium, and Corneria are more fair than FD. Hell, I had Brinstar on the random stage list but in the interest of fairness I substituted it for Onett. And, at Maximus’s proposal, I included Dave’s Stupid Rule so people do not get horribly disadvantaged by other people trying to abuse stages like FD over and over.
Alright fine, then add Rainbow Cruise to the random picks. The screen moves very slowly (unlike icicle mountain) and warns you in advance when you have to drop down to the ship.

HDL

I like pork chops.
BRoomer
I was going to have Rainbow Cruise there, but there’s a lot of diversity with the stages as it is. My goal for the stage availability is to have a handful of diverse options but still not that much to make it seem you can pick almost any stage. One person says "can you add this stage?" Then another person starts with a stage they want added, and then it just defeats the original purpose. I’m sorry but Maximus and I are unable to cater to everyone and every single request presented to us. We have to do things within reasonable boundaries. You can still play on any stage in friendlies though, so if you want Rainbow Cruise you can play it in friendlies (there’ll be plenty of time for that).

Wolf E. Urameshi

Smash Journeyman
*reads HDL's posts* Uh-oh... This could be bad. And please don't post here unless your're puertorrican. And I strongly disagree on the $10 fee, but I'll pay it, considering LordHDL's right with reservation details and all. I don't blame him, it happens to anyone.

PS: Maxiputista (lol sorry): Please drop a PM and let me know what happened.

Xyhthyx

Smash Journeyman
Wolf E. Urameshi said:
*reads HDL's posts* Uh-oh... This could be bad. And please don't post here unless your're puertorrican. And I strongly disagree on the $10 fee, but I'll pay it, considering LordHDL's right with reservation details and all. I don't blame him, it happens to anyone.

PS: Maxiputista (lol sorry): Please drop a PM and let me know what happened.
Actually it's $15.

Wolf E. Urameshi

Smash Journeyman
HoChiMinhTrail said:
hahaha one of the more humerous posts i have read in a long time :p crazy puerto ricans, anywase yea cmon hdl dont over exagerate how hard link is to play. hes all l canceling aight guy and mind games, fox is all tech, sheik is as much mind games as link she is just a better char so wins more. just because u are a low tier player doesnt give u the right to state bs statements about chars :p hdl ur posts need to stop one of these days :)
LOL, I laugh at your stupidity. Get ready, because you will regret such words.

edit: GAH! I double-posted! Sorry! Sorry! Didn't mean to!

HDL

I like pork chops.
BRoomer
$15 is an average fee that many tournament hosts use. You may see some at $10, $20. Hell, I even saw one at $5 once (very small local tournament with a small pot). But I can understand that people may find it a little steep since people here have not had any actual tournament experience or have any vast knowledge on how tournaments are run. There is still a lot of time before the day comes, so people should be able to get that much in time. And if you need to borrow money from parents (hah, I might have to do this myself) then you should explain to them why the entry fee is "costly." Remember the pot is based on percentages of total entry fee money collected, so the higher the fee the higher the winnings. $15 is pretty normal, and I would have done $10 but a certain issue came up and if I left it at $10 it would not be fair to the top three participants that win the tournament (anyone that wants me to elaborate on this further can PM me or speak to me on AIM and I’ll be glad to do so).

Please forgive me for not being able to supply lollipops and roses for everyone. Sometimes things that are out of our hands occur. I found a way around it at least, so if I have your understanding then we’re set.

Edit: Wolf he already left. It’s fine now.

Hochi, don’t bother replying he was well-intentioned. Take no offense.

Top Bottom