• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~§~ Puerto Rico: Land of overlooked accomplishments ~§~

masschaosde

Smash Apprentice
Zero_13_the_Smash_Master said:
Really, your just like that because people say your th best in PR.

But guess what, there are still alot of people you haven't faced, so how can people even call you the best if you haven't played with everyone?
Looks like someone's jealous!! HAHAHAHA!! Man, you gotta stop fronting. You gon' lose this here "discussion". Oh and I'm not saying this cause HDL's the best in PR. I've only seen vids of him playing. So until I play him, I'll never know.

Bubbleman_Nsider

Smash Ace
NNID
Bubbleman
3DS FC
1075-0749-7452
Lord HDL said:
Playing the game since it came out doesn’t mean anything, because a lot of people have been playing since it came out and yet they’re still **** compared to people who started competitively like 2 months ago. Playing casually for 4 years = playing competitively for like 1 week. Those who started out competitively, meaning 1v1 matches against A LOT of people, not just one or two friends, no items, fair stages, etc., are the ones who MIGHT be good enough to do well in tournaments. And those people usually already come to SWF knowing advanced techniques and being consistent. Mind you, people like that are very rare. Most new SWF members can’t even shffl properly and think there are cheap things in the game. The only cheap things are wallbombing in places other characters can’t get to, items, and the IC freeze glitch, and those are banned. Playing the game for 4 years doesn’t account for as much as gaining experience following tournament standards.

Trust me I have played people who have played the game for 4 years in 1v3 matches (me against 3 others) and still won with like 2 or 3 stock left. Because they only knew the casual side of the game. Also playing competitively does not mean trying to be your one friend (or circle of friends) with items, 30 stock, and playing on Temple. Try doing some research before self-proclaiming yourselves masters and saying you don’t need advanced techniques to win. You are in the wrong cabin in the train of thought.
I'm not on the casual side, I've been on the competitive side for weeks and possibly months, but since we've never gone to a tournament before, Isabela's going to be our first shot at it. Anyways, refereing to items, we have them on LOW and no recovery items, then again, we choose stages from Tournaments, meaning that places like Temple and small stages like MushroomKingdom or FlatZone(Along with the rest) aren't very much played.

Back to normal now.

I need some small info about the tournament.
What I know-
-All stages except Rainbow Cruise
-No glitches nor the rest of the cheating things you mentioned

What I need to know-
-How long will the tournament last(I won't be able to stay until 10pm playing out of town!)
-Rules for items
-How many stock or minutes(time matches)
-What are the prizes going to be? I can merely see a GCN controller on the flier.

And there's another thing you should add as a rule, but I'll PM you it, so it won't get practiced there on the tourney.

masschaosde said:
Looks like someone's jealous!! HAHAHAHA!! Man, you gotta stop fronting. You gon' lose this here "discussion". Oh and I'm not saying this cause HDL's the best in PR. I've only seen vids of him playing. So until I play him, I'll never know.
Jelous?

Never, I don't like to be famous.
Besides, I wouldn't want to be really good at smashbros, then everyone would be calling me to play and that would be... so annoying.

masschaosde

Smash Apprentice
Zero_13_the_Smash_Master said:
Jelous?

Never, I don't like to be famous.
Besides, I wouldn't want to be really good at smashbros, then everyone would be calling me to play and that would be... so annoying.
Man...you've just said the most stupidest thing I've ever heard in the whole day. I don't mean to disrespect but, being really good at ssbm doesn't mean you're gonna be famous. Of course you'll be recognized by most of the smash community, but you're not gonna be the next Kobe or Shaq of ssbm. And the people who would be calling you to play are the ones that would invite you to tourneys and smashfests.... ... ... I rest my case for now.

masschaosde said:
Man...you've just said the most stupidest thing I've ever heard in the whole day. I don't mean to disrespect but, being really good at ssbm doesn't mean you're gonna be famous. Of course you'll be recognized by most of the smash community, but you're not gonna be the next Kobe or Shaq of ssbm. And the people who would be calling you to play are the ones that would invite you to tourneys and smashfests.... ... ... I rest my case for now.
You didn't got what I said, nvm.

Bubbleman_Nsider

Smash Ace
NNID
Bubbleman
3DS FC
1075-0749-7452
masschaosde said:
I don't know what's zero's point of posting nonsense today.

Anyways, it's good to have friends and travel the island for ssbm matches, but what zero said about being too famous on the real world... it's sometimes best to be famous, but being so popular can bring a problem or something, and I don't want to talk about all that...

HDL

I like pork chops.
BRoomer
Bubbleman it doesn’t matter if you have items on low. You shouldn’t be playing with them at all. All tournaments ban them. They are disruptive in competitive play. Why don’t you go to Melee Discussion and make a thread about why items are not used. I guarantee you will get more than enough valid answers and then your thread closed. Also, playing for a few weeks or months means nothing if you’ve got no one skilled and experienced to play against. Oh and I might as well mention that we have played some guys from Utuado, and they didn’t even come close to winning.

About the rules. Like I said it will be MLG standard except Rainbow Cruise is off the random stage list. And that doesn’t mean ALL stages will be on. Why don’t you check the MLG ruleset and see what stages are banned, because I won’t be explaining which ones are.

Glitches are not really used in tournaments anyway, minus Samus’s SWD and sometimes flame canceling.

The length depends on how many people show up and how long the matches take. Which means the total amount of time tournaments take cannot be determined.

No tournament uses items. Ever. No serious and skilled players use items. Ever.

Stock and time will be that of MLG ruleset.

Prizes are a 7" universal portable screen and a cube controller.

Format is round robin, just so you don’t ask. You don’t have to know what that is. All you have to do is play your match when I call you up.

Bubbleman_Nsider

Smash Ace
NNID
Bubbleman
3DS FC
1075-0749-7452
Lord HDL said:
Bubbleman it doesn’t matter if you have items on low. You shouldn’t be playing with them at all. All tournaments ban them. They are disruptive in competitive play. Why don’t you go to Melee Discussion and make a thread about why items are not used. I guarantee you will get more than enough valid answers and then your thread closed. Also, playing for a few weeks or months means nothing if you’ve got no one skilled and experienced to play against. Oh and I might as well mention that we have played some guys from Utuado, and they didn’t even come close to winning.

About the rules. Like I said it will be MLG standard except Rainbow Cruise is off the random stage list. And that doesn’t mean ALL stages will be on. Why don’t you check the MLG ruleset and see what stages are banned, because I won’t be explaining which ones are.

Glitches are not really used in tournaments anyway, minus Samus’s SWD and sometimes flame canceling.

The length depends on how many people show up and how long the matches take. Which means the total amount of time tournaments take cannot be determined.

No tournament uses items. Ever. No serious and skilled players use items. Ever.

Stock and time will be that of MLG ruleset.

Prizes are a 7" universal portable screen and a cube controller.

Format is round robin, just so you don’t ask. You don’t have to know what that is. All you have to do is play your match when I call you up.
Oh crap, now you have me a little less confused...
Anyways, I told you some minutes ago that I have NEVER gone to a tournament before, so I don't know the MLG standards and stuff, unless you have a link and stuff...

Anyways, I haven't played the smashers of my town, but I know some of them, and they don't look so tough, I'll try my best if I go to the tournament.
Stay online for some minutes, I'll tell you something about controllers via PM.

Essence_of_the_Gods

Smash Journeyman
This thread i in danger of becoming a flame war... boasting is frowned upon whether you are good or think you're good.

Ego strokes are only for those who think they are gods :ohwell: , and even then they aren't as good as claimed. Play others and keep it calm even if you win. Get others to talk about you positively and stop the self-promotion. I guarantee that if you play new people than you will see if you are truly good or if you need to learn more.

In fact, the only way to become better is by winning AND losing. Take it from me, I stared out just talking about how i wanted to play new people and i got my chance at mayaguez ( i'm not going back, too far for me :dizzy: ) where i found out that my Mario had enough experince to suprise others but i didn't win. Now i want an activity to place place in the east ( Uriel do something) and gauge my skill once again.

EDIT: And advanced techniques are important for play, even if you can't pull them off learning and understanding their uses does help in your defence

Bubbleman_Nsider

Smash Ace
NNID
Bubbleman
3DS FC
1075-0749-7452
Essence_of_the_Gods said:
This thread i in danger of becoming a flame war... boasting is frowned upon whether you are good or think you're good.

Ego strokes are only for those who think they are gods :ohwell: , and even then they aren't as good as claimed. Play others and keep it calm even if you win. Get others to talk about you positively and stop the self-promotion. I guarantee that if you play new people than you will see if you are truly good or if you need to learn more.

In fact, the only way to become better is by winning AND losing. Take it from me, I stared out just talking about how i wanted to play new people and i got my chance at mayaguez ( i'm not going back, too far for me :dizzy: ) where i found out that my Mario had enough experince to suprise others but i didn't win. Now i want an activity to place place in the east ( Uriel do something) and gauge my skill once again.

EDIT: And advanced techniques are important for play, even if you can't pull them off learning and understanding their uses does help in your defence

About advanced skills, I do most of them, even though I need to practice some more wavedashing.

Bubbleman_Nsider

Smash Ace
NNID
Bubbleman
3DS FC
1075-0749-7452
i can do all the advanced stuff now, and i also implement it to my game since it has gotten easy after unsing them so much in the last two months
Then again, I practice every morning and night, advanced techs and no items, hard work...

WIPE$$$

Smash Journeyman
whats with all this flaming? theres no point in arguing with a hard headed guy. if what a guy talks is 99% **** and isn't going to listen to others, i'd keep my mouth shut and los dejaria brutos.

@bubbleman: there is a difference between knowing how to do advanced moves and actually "doing" them under pressure. most people have been playing smash since the 64 version and still suck at it, knowing advanced moves or not. just keep all your pride to yourself, for your own sake.

Bubbleman_Nsider

Smash Ace
NNID
Bubbleman
3DS FC
1075-0749-7452
WIPE$$$ said:
whats with all this flaming? theres no point in arguing with a hard headed guy. if what a guy talks is 99% **** and isn't going to listen to others, i'd keep my mouth shut and los dejaria brutos.

@bubbleman: there is a difference between knowing how to do advanced moves and actually "doing" them under pressure. most people have been playing smash since the 64 version and still suck at it, knowing advanced moves or not. just keep all your pride to yourself, for your own sake.
Proud or not, I'll try my best if I go to Isabela. About pressure, I'm not playing on pressure, simply trying to add more style to my gameplay.
See you all now.

WIPE$$$

Smash Journeyman
Bubbleman_Nsider said:
Proud or not, I'll try my best if I go to Isabela. About pressure, I'm not playing on pressure, simply trying to add more style to my gameplay.
See you all now.
*slap forehead* the pressure that you get from playing someone else always comes unexpectedly(if it comes at all) and from what you have written i'm guessing you'll be under lots of pressure when you actually fight someone who has actually gotten used to performing advanced techniques in elite matches, unlike just knowing how to do them.

Laser_kirby_007

Smash Apprentice
WIPE$$$ said:

dude you're contradicting yourself, :lick:

Dojima

Smash Ace
Don't say that, belive me I was defenetly going to loose that match, your mario is one of the best around, I just happend to have luck and gimped you out of 2 stocks.

@Bubbleman
Dude the pressure people are talking about is the fact of playing in a tournament, the pressure are those matches that have an unexcpected outcome, people you don't know, you don't know their abilities, playing styles, mix-ups, quirks. Is those trembeling sweaty hands that you get after the matches that give you a true sense of satisfaction from a tournament.

Vain

Smash Journeyman
Dojima said:
Dude the pressure people are talking about is the fact of playing in a tournament, .
Haven't posted in a while, it's been a cute flame war in here, but that's all in spirit of the coming tournament, it'll be exciting!
Anywho, when I was facing B4K4 I felt the pressure when I started becoming repetitive and just couldn't think of what to do, except become repetitive and that's what B4K4 exploited and thus he beat me.
So yes, pressure is indeed a huge factor. It also gives you a great adrenaline rush,lol

WIPE$$$

Smash Journeyman
Vain said:
Haven't posted in a while, it's been a cute flame war in here, but that's all in spirit of the coming tournament, it'll be exciting!
Anywho, when I was facing B4K4 I felt the pressure when I started becoming repetitive and just couldn't think of what to do, except become repetitive and that's what B4K4 exploited and thus he beat me.
So yes, pressure is indeed a huge factor. It also gives you a great adrenaline rush,lol
adrenaline rush, thats the word i was looking for

Uriel Vinellus

Smash Ace
Yo , EOTG you'll have to wait till the smashfest to play me that's if your going. These weekends I have been busy and will be busy. The only space I have open is for smashfest and tourny. I really want to play you though. I mean you live close to me.

Plus your Mario surprised me I shouldn't have underestimated you lol

Xyhthyx

Smash Journeyman
Uriel Vinellus said:
Yo , EOTG you'll have to wait till the smashfest to play me that's if your going. These weekends I have been busy and will be busy. The only space I have open is for smashfest and tourny. I really want to play you though. I mean you live close to me.

Plus your Mario surprised me I shouldn't have underestimated you lol
His sig did say a Mario player never to be underestimated lol.

Laser_kirby_007

Smash Apprentice
hey essence of gods, why don't we get together some time on march. I could use some tips for my mario, and I live in bayamon too. It'd be easy to get together at someone's house.

Xyhthyx

Smash Journeyman
@ Uriel: when and where is that smashfest?

@ lazer kirby: it would have to be on a weekend, cause on weekdays i'm too busy
Smashfest is at my house in aguadilla. Speaking of which, anyone get a hold of Yamil or Alphonso? I'd like them to attend.

Blazing

Smash Apprentice
I am from Bayamon too so if you are going to do something let me know oh and uriel i know that you have call ATH a couple of time but his been at work so if you want to play you got to tell him sooner not the same day you want to play we realy want to play you, since the san patricio tournament we have gotten much better i want to see if my doc and my link are good or not that is all

Vain

Smash Journeyman
Xyhthyx said:
Smashfest is at my house in aguadilla. Speaking of which, anyone get a hold of Yamil or Alphonso? I'd like them to attend.
Alphonso joined the Navy, he's out there singing YMCA (lol max) and he was our only contact with Yamil, so we're out of luck :(

Bubbleman_Nsider

Smash Ace
NNID
Bubbleman
3DS FC
1075-0749-7452
Back, for now, I downloaded a video of wavedash yesterday night...
Impressed I was..

Back to topic, it's normal to be nervous or anything like that when playing someone you don't know. But it's the element of surprise which changes both the outcome and the player.
I'll see what I can do if I can attend the tournament on Feb.25

Dojima

Smash Ace
Bubbleman_Nsider said:
Back, for now, I downloaded a video of wavedash yesterday night...
Impressed I was..
Ok, now don't go thinking that wavedashing around the whole match is going to get you somewhere, is just a tactic used in some mind games and character placing, if you can wavedash and you get owned by someone that doesn't don't go screaming that it was a glitch.

Top Bottom