• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[VIC, MAJOR] BAM2012 ~ Sep 29/30 - Links to Results at top of OP - "Best since Rocky"

tedeth

Smash Master
Is coaching still banned?

That's a dumb rule.

With pausing, use your head and your morality. If someone pauses blatantly to throw someone off like pausing during a cg or an important in-game situation then yeah, they are blatantly in the wrong.

I personally NEED to play with pausing on due to being a contact lense wearer, because if I go for too long without blinking, sometimes my eyes dry out and my contact lense slips out of place. Anyone who has played against me when this happense though knows that I will only pause after retreating to a neutral position and requesting a pause. I don't think anyone would disagree that this is a very reasonable pause.

Ledge_g2

Smash Ace
Coaching is dumb. The psychological games people play in game should not be disturbed. Interference via coaching can help players retain mental effectiveness in situations where they're normally overwhelmed. I've witnessed coaching drastically improve peoples play on multiple occasions. The only thing I don't really like about the rule is the vagueness and the lack of ability to enforce it.

I agree with what you said about the pausing, for small and unavoidable things like that anyway. A player within reason should be able to give some notice before pausing, without fear of someone acting cold hearted and taking advantage of the situation.

earla

Smash Lord
how many stage bans in brawl?

and can you counter pick to the stage the first game was played on?

thanks!

S.D

Smash Master
On pausing.. what happens if the pause results in a loss of stock for the OTHER person, like there was a pause when they were offstage 0% or something when they would normally have easily recovered? Does the other dude have to kill self twice? restart?

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
I personally would say pausing should be banned unless its within health reasons. But before the pause is made, both players need to be in safe positions. As for controller faults, these need to be tested before you play a set. If you have the wrong buttons or whatever, its you problem for not testing beforehand. It's up to your opponent if they agree to start again or not. I always test my controlles knowing for a fact my C stick refuses to work at times, everyone should follow this example.

As for the coaching, I'm personally against it. Mostly due to the fact I've had it done against me and lost games from the other player receiving advice. Coaching should be given in between games, or if both players have a coach then its seems fierier to me. This rule has been in the ruleset for a while, just no one actually follows it, along with the pausing one.

That's my general opinion anyway, Jei will give a proper response on whats happening regarding those rules.

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
I would say it's up to the other player for you to either forfeit the game or even out the stocks. Its hard to say really but if you want to prevent this all together, you can turn off pausing via the options menu. As for phone rings and others interruptions, they need to saved till after the match has taken place.

Splice

Smash Hero
I pause accidentally 1/4 of the times I try to mash out of grabs.

Classic Gary looking at ways he can call out his opponents for free wins
Making up for the lack of actual skill I guess <3

@Gords: I will definitely get a MM with you as long as I'm at the venue. I'm not entering Brawl Singles so I will have free time.

S.D

Smash Master
It's probably more an issue for brawl anyway I've noticed, but sometimes a pause is justifiable so I don't entirely agree with turning it off (yes believe it or not I DO KNOW ABOUT THIS FEATURE)...

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Coaching during matches is mostly banned, some tournaments (I only saw this at sktar) sometimes not. It's generally a respect thing that if the other guy doesn't have a coach that you're only coaching in between matches.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
i am best coach ever

"dude just hold down its bound to work"

trust me man im a really good coach

plz let me coach

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
gentlemens rules would only apply to cao since the rest of u guys are bad people, not gentlemen of any sort

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I pause while tech chasing so i know where they're going. Secret M2K strategy.

Most people are okay with this because usually I still lose.

:phone:

Ledge_g2

Smash Ace
On pausing.. what happens if the pause results in a loss of stock for the OTHER person, like there was a pause when they were offstage 0% or something when they would normally have easily recovered? Does the other dude have to kill self twice? restart?
This is a good question. I think there should be no excuse for pausing when the opponent is offstage or even on the ledge. If someone needs to pause they should let their opponent recover and give them space first.

@billy: Someone needing to use external means to stop momentum or themselves from being overwhelmed are the ones whom lack skill. They should not be allowed to abuse vague rules and get away with it. Which is why I'm trying to encourage discussion, to help clear the rules a bit.
Btw I'm taking you out this tourney ;).

Gords

Smash Champion
@Gords: I will definitely get a MM with you as long as I'm at the venue. I'm not entering Brawl Singles so I will have free time.
Not entering Brawl singles, why i thought you were like top 3 Melbourne or some thing. decided to give up brawl in favour of melee? if so i like your thinking

Splice

Smash Hero
why would I enter a tournament where I might have to waste my time playing scrubs like you gary

omg rofl lol gary lelelele
Get 9'd lesss bro

Gords: You're pretty much right, but the other reason I quit is because I'd rather have more time to play friendlies with the people who I want to play with and not feel rushed. Rather have more time for fun

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
Same here, if I don't make it it's because the hype consumed my body causing me to blow up. Also it seems Brawl is getting less and less popular. Heck, even I will probably switch over to Melee if I can get my hands on a copy of the game to practice with, or somehow fix my old disc.

Jamwa

Smash Champion
why would I enter a tournament where I might have to waste my time playing scrubs like you gary

omg rofl lol gary lelelele
Get 9'd lesss bro

Gords: You're pretty much right, but the other reason I quit is because I'd rather have more time to play friendlies with the people who I want to play with and not feel rushed. Rather have more time for fun
****in' it

Toshi

Smash Journeyman
Coming in Friday noon to set up recording. I'll need a capture card and cables.

At the same time, I'll see if I can get a good livestream happening.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
We will do what we can to help. But if you want live u gotta step up n spear head it. Get in contact with cw guys/loki/bugsimus on friday n speak to them.

Top Bottom