• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe SWF Mario Kart Events Thread [Definite Return for Mario Kart 8 :)]

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm just hoping that for the next tourney, things can be kept closer than what tonight's tourney ended up with. I was pretty much at a huge disadvantage without Gatlin, but still, if it weren't for the items crushing me every time I try to make a comeback, I probably would've finished in the top 4 more frequently. Oh well, you can't expect all of your races to go the way you want them to go.

By the way, during the first cup, the reason why I was picking Kalimari Desert is to take advantage of my first combo's high off-road. Because there are occasions where the train will block your path at lap 1, I was hoping that the high off-road would get me to those shortcuts without any major problems. You see, if your combo's off-road stat is 4.75 or better, you can hold your drift while off-road most of the time; 4.5 or lower will not work.

kinghippo99

Smash Lord
5 points away from first.
So close
so far away.
Good games, everyone.

By the way, you guys can call me Hippob[]x from now on.

but still, if it weren't for the items crushing me every time I try to make a comeback, I probably would've finished in the top 4 more frequently.
This is kind of a no-brainer, lol. Anyone could say the same thing.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I had fun. Boozer cute.

I was afraid to run my zero-Handling, low-Accel combination based on everyone's descriptions, so I messed around with a secondary; the Koopa Clown is alright.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Even with good Handling you still get stuck. Really, Handling is that stat that decreases the learning curve. It doesnt actually make the vehicle any better, it just makes the car easier to learn.

kinghippo99

Smash Lord
No. **** you, Z'z. I like my handling and nothing you say will make me get rid of my mushroom wheels. D:<

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
There were other combos that I was thinking of using too, but I couldn't take the gamble with going lower than 2.75 acceleration. If I were able to, other combos that I could've used probably would've included...

[collapse=Combos]Mario + B Dasher + Slim + Super Glider
Mario + B Dasher + Red Monster + Paraglider
Metal Mario + B Dasher + Slim + Super Glider
Wario + Bruiser + Slim + Beast Glider
Donkey Kong + Zucchini + Monster + Paraglider
Koopa Troopa + Egg 1 + Monster + Super Glider
Koopa Troopa + Koopa Clown + Roller + Paraglider
Yoshi + Koopa Clown + Roller + Super Glider
Wiggler + Bumble V + Wood + Paraglider
Shy Guy + Pipe Frame + Monster + Swooper
Shy Guy + Tiny Tug + Wood + Swooper[/collapse]

Of course, there's always the trial and error when it comes to using your combos, especially when items are involved. On my end, I pretty much go for high handling, or high off-road, while keeping acceleration at 1.75 or better.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
You should always think with items involved, you ARE going to get hit every race, expect it.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You should always think with items involved, you ARE going to get hit every race, expect it.
Which is pretty much why I didn't bother going under 2.75 acceleration during the tourney. High speed may help you take the lead more easily, but it's pretty much wasted if you're an item magnet. And the Acceleration Glitch means that 4.5 accelerates at the same rate as 3.75.

Regarding the handling stat, handling might not sound too important, but you probably don't want your handling to be too low, or you could have problems; I did use some 0.75 handling combos, and the results weren't pretty. At least there are ways you can get good speed and good handling, such as what Hippo dug up, but I'm more of a Slim user than a Mushroom user. Heck, I never even touched the Mushroom tires.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I used 0.75 Handling almost half the time I played you on wifi, and I wasnt getting wrecked at all, in fact I was doing pretty good. Most of those combos I had also never touched before.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Actually, Drift really isnt that helpful in this game either. I used to think it was, but really, it's not. Even vehicles with both bad Handling AND bad Drift can Drift just fine.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Air, having a Private room changes absolutely nothing. People join through their Recently Played list, not through the code. Basically, if anyone in the community has ever played a random World Wide, those people they played can just go to their Recently Played list, and join their game, getting them into the room. Private rooms wont do ANYHTING.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I used 0.75 Handling almost half the time I played you on wifi, and I wasnt getting wrecked at all, in fact I was doing pretty good. Most of those combos I had also never touched before.
I guess I'm not fully used to using combos with the worst possible handling. Using them in Time Trials is one thing, but it's another in an actual race.

Oddly, at one point, I was getting somewhere with Donkey Kong + Zucchini + Monster + Paraglider. Of course, this was in the minor leagues, where item abuse is less common.

Alternatively, there's Mario + B Dasher + Red Monster + Paraglider, which would offer me slightly better handling, while keeping off-road at the 4.75 level.

All you need is Drift
Actually, Drift really isnt that helpful in this game either. I used to think it was, but really, it's not. Even vehicles with both bad Handling AND bad Drift can Drift just fine.
Yeah I've pretty much noticed that drifting isn't too important either, since my last combo's drifting is 1.25, but I've still been able to get around those sharp turns.

No. He should not. It wasn't my fault.

Edit: Also, don't put me down as some random noob who did absolutely horribly. That was not me.
Don't worry. I knew that something wasn't right when I saw that random player; I had your Mii remembered. You were doing Worldwide races though, so that may have played a factor in your absence.

From what I can gather, some random person took Gatlin's spot and he couldn't join and no one listened to him when he tried to tell people.

Should really make private communities for these things.
Air, having a Private room changes absolutely nothing. People join through their Recently Played list, not through the code. Basically, if anyone in the community has ever played a random World Wide, those people they played can just go to their Recently Played list, and join their game, getting them into the room. Private rooms wont do ANYHTING.
Yup. Pretty much anyone can join your communities. You can try to keep it private, but the recent opponents list can easily get you into private rooms. But at the same time, recent opponents could get you into a room filled with weaker opponents; handy when you're trying to reach 10000 VR.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Oooh... Neato. My FC was already put on the first page? 8D

HERE IT IS ANYWAY: 0087-2694-8630

I'm apparently the Strongest in the whole world out of the SSB4 group, so hopefully I'm not completely awful against people that actually play Mario Kart regularly.

Now to add all those other codes... :I

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
For anyone who has me added and I haven't added you, you have to contact me through VM/PM. =P

For the next tourney, anyone wanna do the Nitro/Retro tourney I proposed? If anyone needs a refresher;

For Nitro, it's basically doing the 4 Nitro cups (Mushroom, Flower, Star, and Special) in order, we will set the parts that are acceptable. For Retro, it's doing the 4 Retro Cups (Shell, Banana, Leaf, and Lightning) in order, and use classic parts (like Pipe Frame and Standard Wheels). We'd do Nitro first week, then Retro second week. I wanted your guys opinion on when we should do it.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Oooh... Neato. My FC was already put on the first page? 8D

HERE IT IS ANYWAY: 0087-2694-8630

I'm apparently the Strongest in the whole world out of the SSB4 group, so hopefully I'm not completely awful against people that actually play Mario Kart regularly.

Now to add all those other codes... :I
Welcome aboard, added you.

For anyone who has me added and I haven't added you, you have to contact me through VM/PM. =P
I've had you added for decades now, add me back pl0x :rolleyes:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm not exactly used to the Standard tires, but at least the Pipe Frame is a manageable kart body.

Anyway, I do recall the discussion of a weight extremes tourney, where players are restricted to using Feather and Heavy class characters, and have to use the lightest parts for the Feathers, while the Heavies get the heaviest parts.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero

For the next tourney, anyone wanna do the Nitro/Retro tourney I proposed? If anyone needs a refresher;

For Nitro, it's basically doing the 4 Nitro cups (Mushroom, Flower, Star, and Special) in order, we will set the parts that are acceptable. For Retro, it's doing the 4 Retro Cups (Shell, Banana, Leaf, and Lightning) in order, and use classic parts (like Pipe Frame and Standard Wheels). We'd do Nitro first week, then Retro second week. I wanted your guys opinion on when we should do it.
MK64 style eh? I actually like that.

:phone:

BSP

Smash Legend
Someone should goof around with me on MKW so I don't have to keep missing race nights >.>

BSP

Smash Legend
No, but give me twenty minutes and I'll be. Pre game johns: haven't played in a while XD

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Unfortunate. I was hoping to get a MKW tourney going sometime. Seems most have left the game though, so I'm not sure how much participation there would actually be.

Phantom Gamer

<font color="#ff00ff">pranked!</font>
I'd be willing to play in a mkwii tourney as well.
At least mkwii doesn't DC me constantly like MK7. :mad:

kinghippo99

Smash Lord
omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg
RABBI PANDA HI. I missed you, babycakes. <3 Come to Skype some time. Best have a 3DS by now.

Top Bottom