• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe SWF Mario Kart Events Thread [Definite Return for Mario Kart 8 :)]

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
@Gatlin: Nice racing Gatlin. I'm sorry that you had to race me while I was using a combo with lackluster acceleration. I was working on getting used to the abysmal accelerator combos, so I was giving myself a handicap during our matches. Maybe for next time, I'll use a better accelerator.

Have you taken into consideration that coins increase top speed significantly? Even with a gold shroom you'd probably be going slower at 0 coins than somebody with 10. Or maybe he has better lines. Regardless, it's kind of pointless to accuse anyone of cheating (including randoms) since there isn't a way to alter the game in any way yet. :3
I have, but you can only see your coin amount; you can't tell how many coins your opponents have.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Thank you for the compliment. Anyway, if the weight extremes tourney is ever planned, at least I'm getting some good training in.

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
@Gatlin: Nice racing Gatlin. I'm sorry that you had to race me while I was using a combo with lackluster acceleration. I was working on getting used to the abysmal accelerator combos, so I was giving myself a handicap during our matches. Maybe for next time, I'll use a better accelerator.
In other words, "You're okay, but the only reason you won is because I made it so by intentionally disadvantaging myself. So you should take that into consideration before you start feeling good for winning a lot."

I'll be on today if anyone wants to race.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I should be all good with the idea of a retro tourney, since I did take the time to try out the Pipe Frame + Standard combo. However, would the glider be restricted too?

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
MSG using rosalina...
I hope I don't see this again

Good games sorry I couldn't play much.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
WELL, I hope I at least made a good first impression on Koopa Beach. Even though things kind of went downhill for me from there, lol.

My only regret is losing to Gatlin on DK pass. >:

I can't believe I ran into a banana right after setting up a bomb on the ramp on Airship Fortress, lol. GATLIN I THINK THAT WAS YOUR FAULT TOO.

And MSG, I think we were both surprised with that outcome on Rainbow Road just now. Guy came out of no where. :V

STILL, GG'S. :3

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
MSG using rosalina...
I hope I don't see this again

Good games sorry I couldn't play much.
You'll probably see me use Rosalina a couple times; I've used her while facing Lily (a Super Mario Boards member who's on my friend list). Remember, I don't always stick with one combo, but you likely won't be seeing me use Peach, Daisy, or Mii. If I were to rank my character usage levels...

A Rank (common usage): Mario, Yoshi, Koopa Troopa
B Rank (semi-common usage): Toad, Rosalina, Metal Mario, Lakitu
C Rank (uncommon usage): Donkey Kong, Wario, Wiggler, Shy Guy
D Rank (very uncommon usage): Luigi, Bowser, Queen Bee
E Rank (never used): Peach, Daisy, Mii

And MSG, I think we were both surprised with that outcome on Rainbow Road just now. Guy came out of no where. :V

STILL, GG'S. :3
Well, your combo did push mine off a cliff at DK Pass, which did bug me for a while. During our race at Rosalina's Ice World, I did get a connection error during the race, so I took that time to change my combo so that we'd be on even grounds. Normally I wouldn't use lackluster accelerator combos (combos with less than 1.75 acceleration), but I also don't exactly like dealing with crowds who like to push me around, so I pretty much challenged myself to utilize those combos, and so far, I've been able to hold my own most of the time.

By the way, if you've lost count on what combos I was using against Airgemini and Gatlin...

1: Yoshi + Pipe Frame + Standard + Paraglider
2: Rosalina + Soda Jet + Roller + Paraglider
3: Metal Mario + B Dasher + Monster + Super Glider

Regarding that Rainbow Road race, I was shocked that that player was able to pull off that tough shortcut, because I've often failed it during my Time Trial runs; I don't use it in GPs, due to its difficulty. There's also that glider shortcut, which is also super hard; that too I don't use in GPs, since I've always failed with it.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Man, all those RR shortcuts are cake, I always do them, and none even need a shroom (although if you do have a shroom for the last one you can go HELLA far).

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
I just recently figured out how to do them shroomless.
You really can't go wrong because of the nice spawns.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
If this were a TRUE retro tourney, there couldnt be any double characters :awesome:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Man, all those RR shortcuts are cake, I always do them, and none even need a shroom (although if you do have a shroom for the last one you can go HELLA far).
Maybe it's because I'm not using the proper glider. I'm not exactly a fan of the Flower Glider and Peach Parasol though; they're more fit for Peach and Daisy, none of which I use.

But like I said, I've always failed to properly use the Rainbow Road shortcuts, especially in Time Trials, which is why you never see me use them in races.

If this were a TRUE retro tourney, there couldnt be any double characters :awesome:
Speaking of doubles, I did get thrown off while racing against Airgemini at Bowser's Castle. There were two Peach users (one of them being Airgemini), and a Spiny Shell was coming. I anticipated it, but I stayed behind the wrong Peach user, and I ended up giving Airgemini a good lead because of that.

This is pretty much where double-vision can be a cruel mistress, especially when you're overlapping someone who is using the same character as your main competition.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Peachy we will do the retro tourney, set the details and start sign ups please :)

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
So you're saying you wouldn't stop for a blue shell if it was someone else, but for me you would?

I find the whole stopping and backing up thing for blues extremely annoying. Even though I do it myself and I know it's all good strategy. Just the act of it happening to me gives me this "Wow, he's a ****" vibe.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
The main reason why I hate that they made items visible, horrible decision imo.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Lol, I like the stopping for blues cuz usually all that **** works in my favor.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
Yeah. I do hate that Blue Shell at times if I'm far away from everyone or if there isn't an abyss I can fall into the avoid it. If I can remove one thing from MK7 it is the whole stupid holding your head for a second after being sent flying by an item or hit by players with Star Man. Kept it MK64 style where you just fly and you have to regain your speed again.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I find the whole stopping and backing up thing for blues extremely annoying. Even though I do it myself and I know it's all good strategy. Just the act of it happening to me gives me this "Wow, he's a ****" vibe.
I use Spiny Shells immediately when I get them. That way, I can hope that I'll catch my opponents by surprise. If players fail to see that Spiny Shell icon on time, they can easily be in for a rude awakening, and this can avoid crowd creations as well.

Anyway, backing up does come in handy when you want the Spiny Shell to target someone else. However, the biggest flaw with that is crowd creation, and you don't exactly want to be doing this at an inconvenient spot. If you're too far in front, just keep moving forward, and brace for impact. If you're near a jump though, you should probably stop to avoid falling into an abyss.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
No way I would use blue shell right away everytime.
Why would you use it right away if holding it makes people infront of you slow down?

There is lots of good places to hit multiple people as well.
But Useally I never hold it if I have the chance to get another item though

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
No way I would use blue shell right away everytime.
Why would you use it right away if holding it makes people infront of you slow down?

There is lots of good places to hit multiple people as well.
But Useally I never hold it if I have the chance to get another item though
This.
Every time I get a shock or a blue shell I'll hold it. Mainly because I notice a bunch of people will use their bullets and stars immediately from seeing the shock. While others in front will in most cases slow down for the blue as Box said.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I guess I'm just on edge whenever I get strong items. I often want to use them ASAP, just so that I can reload with a different item. After all, the Star and Bullet Bill are not as effective as Mushrooms and Golden Mushrooms. And some people don't hesitate with using the Lightning right off the bat; I sure don't.

Of course, I'm often less reckless with the Mushrooms, since I do plan ahead with when to use them. But with the Lucky 7, it's do or die.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Best way to place this game well IMO is just race.
That means if you have a good item there is no need to be thirsty and use it.
Just race and if your in a situation where the item will greatly benefit(spamming them before the next item to get a better one counts) or if you need to escape a bad situation or if there is a shock use the item right away.
Otherwise just race.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Just turtle balls out, this game is a lot more defensive than the other MK games.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
I've learn to Shell Snipe, well I have been doing it for a very long time now. Even aiming at the walls so that it would angle and hit players in front of me. I know I've had some racers go "How the f--- did he hit me?!" sometimes. Practice, though I know I'll be out of practice since I've had so much work then getting ready to leave Florida from touching my games.

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
RETRO TOURNEY

RULES:

• 1. Character Choice is limited (Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, Yoshi, Wario, DK, and Bowser ARE THE ONLY characters you're allowed to play as). You can switch after each GP.
    2. You can only do the MK64 Kart Combination: Pipe Frame, Standard Wheels, and Standard Glider.
  • 3. We will do the Retro Cups in order, any mistakes will be penalty'd.

• 4. No Glitching.

• 5. Be patient, don't press "Start Game" (I will press it when we are ready).

• 6. Anyone's allowed to sign up! If you want to join in, PM me AND post here!
Tourney will take place on February 19th, 2011, Sunday; 7:00 PM EST. Make sure you post here and PM me. We'll be using the community Fluttershy has made, make sure you enter the code into your Communities list. We need someone to keep track of scores (I will try my best, but if someone takes pics, it'll be easier to manage scores) Feel free to ask questions and such where you need to.

Thanks for reading and I hope to see you on the tracks! :peachy:

1. SuperMetroid44 (Peachy)
2. Z'zgashi
3. Brickbox
4. Gatlin
5. Oasis_S
6. Shadocat
7. Mario and Sonic Guy

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
How can we do the Maka Wuhu Glitch if we're only doing Retro Courses lol.

Regardless, Ill sign up.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Sign me up
I wonder who I'll use.
Dk I guess

Lol gashi it's possible trust me.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I'll sign up. Was that just a joke about not having DOUBLE PICKS? If that's the case, I guess I'll go with Bowser or Wario since I always used them in MK64 as a kid. :3

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'll probably join too. Of course, while I did practice with the Pipe Frame + Standard combo, I was using the Paraglider, so being restricted to the Super Glider will be a change.

@SuperMetroid44: In terms of the track picks, I think it would be wise if you state that you CAN'T choose "Random", because you want this tourney to be all retro tracks. We are doing 4 cups, right?

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
It was copy/paste lol >.> You have to PM me as well if you wanna sign up, guys.

@Gatlin: If it's a general good time for everyone, then OK.

@M&SG: Not to be sounding snotty, but I think it's common sense not to pick Random. =P It's just going through all 4 Retro Cups and their courses in order, if someone picked random, and it was something else, they would get a penalty.

Top Bottom