• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ridley for SSBB

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDub301

Smash Journeyman
It wouldn't surprise me if Meta-Ridley was a boss character and the Ridley model from the Melee opening movie was the playable character.

Someone mentioned earlier that there's only a handful of non-playable characters in the game.

The wire frames are really just Captain Falcon clones, aren't they? Whenever I saw them fighting they look like him and do his smashes.

The punching bag would be stupid as a playable character cuz he just sits there and gets *****.

The crazy hands would be awkward to play and the programmers probably felt that because of the theme of the game, we shouldn't be able to play as the hands.

Then, there's Giga Bowser, who is an enhanced version of a playable character.

So, even if Ridley is a boss fight, he'll most likely have a super-form that you fight him in.

Maybe they'll have an event match like in Melee when you had to fight Mewtwo, Ganon, and Giga Bowser. Only in Brawl, you have to fight Giga-Bowser, Meta-Ridley and some other super form of another villain. That would be great.

Mars-

Smash Champion
I'm going to also have to disagree with that one guy about how Ridley was in the beginning, you could also look at it as if they were just trying to transition from the game they came from to Melee, sort of like they did in Smash 64, with master hand pulling them out of the box and making them alive.

TheBlackrose

Smash Journeyman
the whole melee fmv and trophy is dumb cuz samurai is in the fmv and he has a trophy...but the song update is pretty credible.

Caael

Smash Lord
Rofl I'm going to laugh if Ridley is like master hand and you can't play as him.
That's not even funny. Villages will be burnt, blood will be spilled, and Japan will be nuked if that happens.

Caael, it's your birthday? And weren't you the one most crazy about Ridley of us all?

If so...
SAKURAI'S WATCHING US OHMYGAWD

And happy birthday. *grins*

I got Fusion and Zero Mission for my birthday : D

I'm the Ridley fanatic. If he was a woman, and real, I would marry her. Mutant human dragon babies. Man, that would be sweet.

Hopefully Sakurai is watching us...

Quick! Hide the noobs in the closet and make some good suggestions!

Mars-

Smash Champion
People need to stop freaking out about music, they put mach rider music in Melee, along with other stuff that would hint that they put some other chars in the game, but they weren't in there. The music doesn't confirm anything, and more air combat is an old idea, he said it a long time ago, and people started freaking out about how they would slow down characters falling speeds, well look at the trailer, the speed looks about the same. And also they seem to have added gravity changes in some of the stages, which would also help out arial combat.

But don't get me wrong, I would love to see Ridley in the game, but this doesn't confirm more then that Ridley is a boss that you fight.

Meta_Owns_Ur_Dad

Smash Ace
People need to stop freaking out about music, they put mach rider music in Melee, along with other stuff that would hint that they put some other chars in the game, but they weren't in there. The music doesn't confirm anything, and more air combat is an old idea, he said it a long time ago, and people started freaking out about how they would slow down characters falling speeds, well look at the trailer, the speed looks about the same. And also they seem to have added gravity changes in some of the stages, which would also help out arial combat.

But don't get me wrong, I would love to see Ridley in the game, but this doesn't confirm more then that Ridley is a boss that you fight.
WE THINK Mach Rider was suppose to be in brawl.

Drascin

Smash Journeyman
A character does not usualy get a theme tune like that. Also note it says 'boss battle'. He could have just called it Ridley's theme. I'm guessing this means an end of adventure boss fight or something.

"In the original game, most of the places where you heard this song were the sites of fierce battles."

Other boss battle hints?

I know its temtping to scream 'NEWCOMER', but I believe this means RIDLEY IS A BOSS. Please don't flame me. :p

Darn it Sakurai, don't play with our heads!
That is my fear. I am hoping you're wrong, but the thought (the terrible, tenebrous thought) crossed my mind as well. As of now, the only thing this pretty much confirms is some kind of appearance by Ridley. But, is he a stage hazard a la Kraid, an Adventure boss, or a true character? I'm hoping for the last one, but I still don't want to get my hopes up too much.

Caael

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure that Giga Bowser didn't have a theme song. Or Bowser. Or Master hand.

YAYAYAYAYAY Ridley.

Ridley is high on the Poll. Ridley has a theme song. Ridley is a villain. Ridley flies.

Ridley is in Brawl.

Caael

Smash Lord
Even if he is a boss, i'm just gonna get gameshark and use him :p

Anybody considered it could be the music you hear when you're fighting to unlock him? I mean, he wont be a boss, because that would mean only Samus could fight him. Which would be silly. I'm guessing you do something as Samus, battle him with this music, and then unlock him.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Let's think about this...

Most people agree that Ridley will be in the game in some form, either playable or a boss. Well, if for some reason he isn't playable and is just a boss..EVERYONE is going to go out and buy an AR so they can play as him.

I think that Nintendo just might save us the trouble and let us play him as a normal character...

But on the opposing side, Sakurai said himself that he doesn't know if he is even going to add a one player mode, so why would there be a boss battle?
Is that true?

TDub301

Smash Journeyman
the whole melee fmv and trophy is dumb cuz samurai is in the fmv and he has a trophy...but the song update is pretty credible.
I don't think anybody is using that as an argument that he will be in the game. It would be stupid to use that, there's trophies for almost everything in the Nintendo universe and characters in the fmv who aren't in the game (Wolf, etc...).

I was using that to theorize what his character model would be like if he got into the game.

And yes, we do realize that his music being in the game does not 100% confirm that Ridley is in, himself. But, since Sakurai's elaborating so much about how Ridley is Samus's main enemy and has his theme song and yada yada, it's like he's teasing those of us who want him in.

He wouldn't tease us like that and not put him in, that just wouldn't be right. I think this is his way of implying that Ridley made it in, but it's such a big update that it isn't worthy to confirm it on one of these silly daily updates.

It's big news that should either not even be confirmed and be a surprise when the game finally comes out or be announced at the next big event they hold.

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
I've only played Prime but I really want Ridley in. The fight with him in that game gave me chills, because it was my first fight against him and I had heard so much about him before.

I wish Sakurai would stop teasing us and that E3 would hurry up and happen already.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
For anyone who's wasting their days away on these boards and HASN'T played ALL of the following, get away from SWF and play them and beat them by the time Brawl comes out so you can TRULY appreciate this character (in order of importance):

Super Metroid, Metroid Prime, Zero Mission and Metroid Fusion
(You could throw in the original, but that's also included in Zero Mission...)

D

Deleted member

Oh well. We'll see at E3. Ridley will be in the game.

Oi, Sakurai! Just cause we have Ridley's theme today, doesn't mean you can 'confirm' Yoshi tomorrow!

I bet that will happen now...

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
Everybody just chill, alright? You're getting all your hopes up over speculation. All of this "his theme confirms him" and "everyone wants him in" stuff has no more actual merit than that old rumor about Bowser Jr., Cel-Shaded Link, and Ridley from many months ago.

First of all, where are any of you getting this "second most requested character" thing from? Counting up from the Toukoken, the top 3 spots belong to Diddy, Geno, and King DeDeDe. I don't think Ridley was even in the top ten there.

Second, a character's theme does not confirm that character. Remember, Saria's Song was in Melee. I suppose now you're going to present me with another overly-long theory about why you believe Saria was originally planned for Melee, like so many of you so often do to prove a point?

Look, I'm not saying I don't want Ridley in. I do. It'd be cool to have a giant-*** dragon stomping around the stage. But let's not get ahead of ourselves, hm? Just sit back, calm down, and enjoy the music for what it is: music. Not some tongue-in-cheek, backwards implication about the inclusion of character X. 'Kay?

DarkFr0g

Smash Apprentice
Peops. This does not mean that Ridley WILL be in the game. It just means that at least his music is. The BFs song was in Melee, but BFs wasn't a character.

It said "Boss Battle" because that's the boss battle theme of Ridley in Metroid, not in SSBB.

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
Did Saria's song have a whole update on it how Saria is link's best friend, and how the music will feel, and a clip from the song?

No? Really?

Hot diggatiy ****.
Did Melee have a daily developers blog that detailed every song, item, character, stage, gameplay facet, and staff member? You can't compare them like that unless they're on equal terms. That's like saying George Bush is a better president than Adam Sandler. If you want to be fair and logical about this, you have to compare them as equals, and not just take the parts you like about your side of the argument and pit them against the parts you don't like about mine. The simple fact remains:

Saria's theme does not equal playable Saria.
Ridley's theme does not equal playable Ridley.

Again, I'm not saying it won't happen, nor am I saying I don't want it to. But to get yourselves all worked up in a lather over random speculation is just foolish, wouldn't you say?

TDub301

Smash Journeyman
Now I see your point, but the reverse goes as well. If there had been a developers blog for Melee, that doesn't mean that they would've elaborated as much for Soria as was done for Ridley today.

But essentially, you are right, it does not confirm that Ridley is in the game and I'm not looking at this as meaning that he's definitely in. But you can't deny the implications of the whole event.

I mean, he wouldn't announce a new character at this point regardless. Sakurai probably won't announce more than 2 or 3 new charactes at E3, if any (if he does they'll probably be returning characters from Melee anyway). He'll probably just have a new movie, showcasing the progress that they've made since the last video in the graphics and gameplay departments and answer a few non-revealing questions.

I'm really only sure Ridley will be in through logic. There needs to be more representation from the Metroid franchise, they've already created a character model that is scaled down (I hope noone here actually thinks that that fmv from Melee is an accurate portrayal of the real Ridley in the actual Metroid games), and Ridley is the most well-known character besides Samus in Metroid.

Dark Samus hasn't earned enough stripes as a well-known character to beat Ridley into Brawl, wouldn't be right.

Motherbrain just doesn't seem right to me, either. Ridley has to be the next in line.

They won't put another hunter in, comparatively speaking, Hunters was a weak Metroid game and they don't deserve it more than Ridley either. It just makes sense to put him in.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
@tdub301
i agree completely, except that i think at e3 he will announce a few more newcomers.
on the topic of ridley, Sakurai stated that the metroid franchise was under repped and thats why zero-suit samus was appearing, and he hoped he could include more metroid characters from it.

kaid

Smash Master
If Ridley is a boss char, that just means I'll be taking Action Replays to Tournaments.

Really, this confirns a Brinstar stage or Impact Crater Temple stage more than it confirms Ridley. It also would be the music played if Ridley was unlocked via Event Match, like Gannondorf fas in melee.

And whoever said Sakurai was thinking of dropping 1 player is wrong. Sakura actually said he wanted to EXPAND the 1 player.

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
Now I see your point, but the reverse goes as well. If there had been a developers blog for Melee, that doesn't mean that they would've elaborated as much for Soria as was done for Ridley today.

But essentially, you are right, it does not confirm that Ridley is in the game and I'm not looking at this as meaning that he's definitely in. But you can't deny the implications of the whole event.

I mean, he wouldn't announce a new character at this point regardless. Sakurai probably won't announce more than 2 or 3 new charactes at E3, if any (if he does they'll probably be returning characters from Melee anyway). He'll probably just have a new movie, showcasing the progress that they've made since the last video in the graphics and gameplay departments and answer a few non-revealing questions.

I'm really only sure Ridley will be in through logic. There needs to be more representation from the Metroid franchise, they've already created a character model that is scaled down (I hope noone here actually thinks that that fmv from Melee is an accurate portrayal of the real Ridley in the actual Metroid games), and Ridley is the most well-known character besides Samus in Metroid.

Dark Samus hasn't earned enough stripes as a well-known character to beat Ridley into Brawl, wouldn't be right.

Motherbrain just doesn't seem right to me, either. Ridley has to be the next in line.

They won't put another hunter in, comparatively speaking, Hunters was a weak Metroid game and they don't deserve it more than Ridley either. It just makes sense to put him in.
Well, I agree wholeheartedly on the point that it's very logical to include Ridley in Smash Bros., due to both his overwhelming popularity, and the fact Sakurai himself said he was looking to give Metroid more representation. Still, I don't feel that having Ridley's theme does anything one way or another about whether or not he got in. It may imply something trivial if you dig deep enough into what little there is to be said, but at the end of the day all it really is is a 32 second clip of some truly amazing music.

Off-Topic: Man, if every track turns out like the ones we've heard so far, Brawl just may have the best soundtrack of all time.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
which is why i think ridley will be one of samus's bosses, (or final boss) and will be unlocked after defeated.

@hidden tiger
well you did see the amount of musicians, i thought that from the first music update.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Im hoping they add cutscnes/cinemas in smash, like when samus beats master hand (if ridley is unlock by defeating master hand with samus, which I doubt its too easy), samus looks down where master hand is fallen, turns around and walks away, then out of nowhere ridley apepars from where master hand felled and attacks samus, samus dodges and they make a stand-off, then the battles begins...

Yeah I have a lot of imagination :p

Celsco

Smash Apprentice
Okay, let's see. The point here is at the moment, will Sakurai reveal more newcomers at the e3? U could discuss this threat forever, but the thing is, as i said before: In the latest trailer it said, "Get ready to Brawl in 2007" Thinking of the time Sakurai's team has 2 finish the game and hopefully reveal not everything except for the chars, they'll have 2 reveal their chars wise. Or else they'll have nothing more 2 reveal when the game's approaching. The e3 provides the perfect chance 2 pump up the hype for brawl. What I'm trying 2 say is that Sakurai will not reveal any newcomers, mark my words, newcomers at the e3. He'll probably reveal them 2 months before the announced releasedate. Remember TLoZ:TP? We had 2 wait sooooo f*cking long before they gave us more information. They actually came up with some 'real' information 2 à 3 months before the release, so if I were u I wouldn't count on anything at the e3. If he's revealing a char, you can only become happier, not disappointed.

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
Well, I agree wholeheartedly on the point that it's very logical to include Ridley in Smash Bros., due to both his overwhelming popularity, and the fact Sakurai himself said he was looking to give Metroid more representation. Still, I don't feel that having Ridley's theme does anything one way or another about whether or not he got in. It may imply something trivial if you dig deep enough into what little there is to be said, but at the end of the day all it really is is a 32 second clip of some truly amazing music.

Off-Topic: Man, if every track turns out like the ones we've heard so far, Brawl just may have the best soundtrack of all time.
Agreed, at the moment, the music is simply just the music. As much as we may want it to confirm Ridley, that's looking to deep into it.

Still, I'd be surprised if Sakurai wasn't aware of the speculation that would be caused by the update. I kind of get the feeling that he must've known even mentioning Ridley would've led to people speculating about him being in Brawl. Sometimes I think he's toying with us for fun.

Fawriel said:
Of course, the logical link the Screw Attack has on Zero Suit Samus is that a lot of people will want to "use" it on her...:p
*facepalms* Oh, Lord. I should've known someone would've said that sooner or later.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Im sure were bound to have some newcomers at E3, remember sakurai stated, due to the internet the characters will be revealed and thus ruin the surprise, so sakurai wants to personally give the information about newcomers so we get surprised with oficial art and screenshots and such...

Celsco

Smash Apprentice
Agreed, at the moment, the music is simply just the music. As much as we may want it to confirm Ridley, that's looking to deep into it.

Still, I'd be surprised if Sakurai wasn't aware of the speculation that would be caused by the update. I kind of get the feeling that he must've known even mentioning Ridley would've led to people speculating about him being in Brawl. Sometimes I think he's toying with us for fun.
True, he isn't dumb you know... Or maybe we're just getting hypocritical because of the long wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom