• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ridley for SSBB

Status
Not open for further replies.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
A character does not usualy get a theme tune like that. Also note it says 'boss battle'. He could have just called it Ridley's theme. I'm guessing this means an end of adventure boss fight or something.

"In the original game, most of the places where you heard this song were the sites of fierce battles."

Other boss battle hints?

I know its temtping to scream 'NEWCOMER', but I believe this means RIDLEY IS A BOSS. Please don't flame me. :p

Darn it Sakurai, don't play with our heads!
Let me put your mind at ease: Ridley will not be a boss. I'm pretty confident in that.

On another note: I have an interesting (but completely unrelated to this topic) observation. I was looking at the icon representing the Metroid series, which is the screw attack symbol, of course. Well, I got to thinking...it's interesting that they chose that as the symbol for Metroid characters. But then, I realized, in at least Metroid Fusion, Ridley was the boss who held the Screw Attack (he had absorbed it). I think he may have been defending it in a couple other games as well...anyway, just something interesting.

Fawriel

Smash Master
I'm lazy, so I'll just copy what I said in another thread. Go team!

Think about it, what was the first song we got? Menu 1. It will be played as background music in Battlefield. Read: Not in the actual menu.
It's a REMIX of the song it's named after.

What I think this does possibly indicate is:
-Ridley's in in some way, or they could've taken a normal boss song, final boss song or no boss song at all.
-There will be a stage for every character, not just every franchise as a whole.
->We'll see a stage depicting one of the places you fought Ridley in a Metroid game.

EDIT:
@lizard: Interesting observation...
Of course, the logical link the Screw Attack has on Zero Suit Samus is that a lot of people will want to "use" it on her... :p

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Think about it, what was the first song we got? Menu 1. It will be played as background music in Battlefield. Read: Not in the actual menu.
It's a REMIX of the song it's named after.
Every played a little game called "Super Smash Bros. Melee"? One of the Menu songs is an alternative song to be played in the background of Battlefield. Oh wait...it's that same song. Hmm...

Fawriel

Smash Master
...I have no idea what you're talking about.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I know that one of the Melee Battlefield tracks is a remix of the menu song. But it's still a remix. So I have no idea what you're getting at.

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
*puts on Captain Logic cape and mask*

SSBM included music from Mother 1, Mach Rider, and Balloon Fight without any character representation for those games. Also, Saria's theme music was present in SSBM, and she was not a playable character either. This update only confirms Ridley's theme, and does nothing to increase the chances that Ridley was added to SSBB.

You're Welcome, fair citizens! *flies away*

the grim lizard

Smash Master

SSBM included music from Mother 1, Mach Rider, and Balloon Fight without any character representation for those games. Also, Saria's theme music was present in SSBM, and she was not a playable character either. This update only confirms Ridley's theme, and does nothing to increase the chances that Ridley was added to SSBB.

That isn't true (well, not completely). Balloon Fighter music was there because it was a remnant. BF was supposed to be in the game, but the took him out because they would rather spend the time developing the ICs. Same with Mach Rider, I believe.

In any case, Ridley will have his own stage in the very least. They aren't exactly going to be playing "Ridley Theme" at Princess Peach's castle, are they?...

...I have no idea what you're talking about.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I know that one of the Melee Battlefield tracks is a remix of the menu song. But it's still a remix. So I have no idea what you're getting at.
All I was getting at is that the same song was used for the menu as well as Battlefield. I think you were trying to say that the name of the song didn't matter because "Menu 1" was used for Battlefield. I'm pretty sure it's just going to be the same as it was in Melee.

Also, it wasn't a remix. There were to Menu songs. They were the exact same song (on the menu and on Battlefield). I was just giving you an fyi.

Meta_Owns_Ur_Dad

Smash Ace

*puts on Super Captain Logic cape and mask*

With my logic, i say he is in...

Sakurai must've known a LOT of people would think that would confirm him, he had to. So why do such a move, without including him in brawl. Plus, in the update, he refered to him as her arch-nemesis... probably doesn't mean nothing but that got my mind running.

Ekul

Smash Journeyman
You know how most people use Super Smash Brothers? A 1 Player game? No. Why would they load a mainly multiplayer game with characters that you can't use? That's why I doubt he will be a boss

D

Deleted member

We'll find out soon enough.

Arghh, guess this means tomorrow is an item update, or something about the newcomers.

*sigh*

whiterob

Smash Journeyman
The first thing that came to my head as soon as i saw the update was, "Yep, there is going to be some arguments on smashboards today". I must be a fortuneteller or something.

Kalypso

Smash Journeyman
RE: People saying this doesn't in any way confirm Ridley:

Why the **** would Sakurai release this as an update if he had no plans to put Ridley in the game in any form? He knows it would just piss everyone off.

It's a semi-confirm. Ridley is either a playable character or boss of some kind imo.

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
*puts on Super
Sakurai must've known a LOT of people would think that would confirm him, he had to. So why do such a move, without including him in brawl. Plus, in the update, he refered to him as her arch-nemesis... probably doesn't mean nothing but that got my mind running.
Exactly! Even if he's not confirmed, it's hard to argue that his chances did not increase. Also some one was arguing about Ballon Fighter and how he was suppose to be in the game but they wanted the ICs to be in. Is this true?

Fawriel

Smash Master
Exactly!

The man is a good guy and he has to make money for his company.
He knows that Ridley is wanted by LOTS of people.
Going around raising people's hopes only to shatter them would be stupid both from a nice-guy as well as a capitalistic perspective.

EDIT: Haha. The next post HAS to start with "Exactly!". Please, oh please let it happen.

Neiteio

Smash Cadet
Let me post what I wrote on another forum:

"My theory is Ridley was originally meant to appear in Melee, but was ultimately scrapped due to time constraints. Melee's intro FMV was made before the game was finished for promotional purposes (E3 2001). Like most FMVs, it was outsourced to a third party (as I believe was confirmed), and they would've needed an advance roster list of the characters Sakurai planned to implement. Furthermore, they resized Ridley to be smaller and more humanoid in profile. The Ridley assets became the trophy, hence how articulate and well-textured it looks, as though it was once a working model. Now, years later, Sakurai is looking to add villains, add Metroid characters, and expand the airgame with more flying characters -- Ridley fits all three bills. Also, he ran a poll where Ridley was recognized as the second most wanted character in Japan -- the place where Metroid's least popular. And now, here we are with Ridley's THEME SONG, where Sakurai acknowledges him as Samus' 'arch-nemesis.'"

In addition, Sakurai knows Ridley is among the most-wanted in Japan and the rest of the world. He knows this update will excite the fanbase, so I doubt he'd set us up for a disappointment. It's similar to preparing us for Yoshi with music and a stage.

We'll find out soon enough.

Arghh, guess this means tomorrow is an item update, or something about the newcomers.

*sigh*
Or better yet, "How to Play: Performing Smash Attacks!"

We can probably count on something nice for Friday. I'm hoping for either the Fire Emblem castle (Daein Castle), or a two-for-one newcomer/veteran update in the form of Samus/Zamus -- complete with how they switch forms, REVEALED!

- Neiteio

GoldenGlove

Smash Ace
Exactly!

I mean, why would Sakurai make such an effort to point out that it's RIDLEY's theme and that RIDLEY is samus's main enemy if he wasn't somehow in the game.

Drik Khaail

Smash Ace
now now, just because his song is in it, doesnt mean ridley is in it. That also goes for yoshi, after all, what proof do we have other than the yoshi icon, theme, and stage? Just kiddin, ridley looks friggin sweet, and would be an awesome addition, and I cant wait to find out if bowsers comin' back, so we would have him, ridley and yoshi in the battle of lizards... That also means, including yoshi, we'd assumedly have a roster of 13? 27 to go...

YosterDragon

Smash Apprentice
You know, the only reason I ever thought Ridley wouldn't work in Brawl is because of how BIG he is compared to other characters... but then I remembered how big Pikachu & Kirby are compared to Mario and I thought it possible. The only thing, though, is that Ridley is going to be right next to Samus in Brawl, so they can't size him down too much. Perhaps he'll end up as tall as Bowser but longer, ending up being the overall largest character. Certainly would make him kind of a punching bag if he wasn't the fast, cruel mofo he is in Metroid. If his moves are lagging, then Bowser's track record should show you where a huge, bulky, slow but powerful character is heading.

Not surprisingly, the slow, bulky characters in most fighting games are usually never anywhere near the best characters.

Really, though, for Ridley to be in Brawl... this is awesome! Ridley was such a cool-looking boss I bought Super Metroid just to fight him.
I'm pretty confident that they'll get the sizing thing and his feel down. I mean, Kirby is supposed to be 8 inches tall, but he was resized to fit with everyone else, right? And as for how he feels, I doubt he'll be a slow and laggy character. Every SSB character so far has kept the feel that they developed in their games of origin, and I doubt Ridley will be any different.

And besides, if his size is an issue they can always forego his Super Metroid and beyond look and go with his original Metroid style ;)

dynamic_entry

Smash Ace

"My theory is Ridley was originally meant to appear in Melee, but was ultimately scrapped due to time constraints. Melee's intro FMV was made before the game was finished for promotional purposes (E3 2001). Like most FMVs, it was outsourced to a third party (as I believe was confirmed), and they would've needed an advance roster list of the characters Sakurai planned to implement. Furthermore, they resized Ridley to be smaller and more humanoid in profile. The Ridley assets became the trophy, hence how articulate and well-textured it looks, as though it was once a working model. Now, years later, Sakurai is looking to add villains, add Metroid characters, and expand the airgame with more flying characters -- Ridley fits all three bills. Also, he ran a poll where Ridley was recognized as the second most wanted character in Japan -- the place where Metroid's least popular. And now, here we are with Ridley's THEME SONG, where Sakurai acknowledges him as Samus' 'arch-nemesis.'"

In addition, Sakurai knows Ridley is among the most-wanted in Japan and the rest of the world. He knows this update will excite the fanbase, so I doubt he'd set us up for a disappointment. It's similar to preparing us for Yoshi with music and a stage.

We can probably count on something nice for Friday. I'm hoping for either the Fire Emblem castle (Daein Castle), or a two-for-one newcomer/veteran update in the form of Samus/Zamus -- complete with how they switch forms, REVEALED!

- Neiteio
i do like seeing you post. you're a real, quality over quantity kinda guy. solid argument.

Ridley22

Smash Ace
I think the update is just saying that they are going to release a metroid stage. Because all of the previous music has led to a stage with that music.

Amy

Smash Cadet
hey wasn't kraid supposed to be a character in melee but they left it because the game was near to the end of completion so they made him a npc? :s

I wonder how long they was thinking of putting Ridley into this game, OMG and snake too =/

Edit: No Sorry I just remembered, They wanted Snake in Melee not Kriad.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Icouldnt care less.... I am barely a Metroid Fan
Too many young kids running around these forums who don't appreciate the classics...

hey wasn't kraid supposed to be a character in melee but they left it because the game was near to the end of completion so they made him a npc? :s

I wonder how long they was thinking of putting Ridley into this game, OMG and snake too =/

Edit: No Sorry I just remembered, They wanted Snake in Melee not Kriad.
And balloon fighter and Mach Rider and King Dedede...etc. etc.

Mars-

Smash Champion
People people, even if the music doesn't confirm it, look at the text:

Metroid: Boss Battle Music (Ridley Fight)

Now this might not mean anything, but it does say Ridley Fight, sort of like the Yoshi's story music, which we all know there is going to be a yoshi's story stage:

Yoshi’s Story: Ending

So judging from the way the text is laid out, there is a metriod stage, perhaps even called Metriod, and in the stage there is a boss. Now why would they put Ridley fight right after that, if he isn't going to be in the game?

But on the opposing side, Sakurai said himself that he doesn't know if he is even going to add a one player mode, so why would there be a boss battle?

Meta_Owns_Ur_Dad

Smash Ace

- Neiteio
Yeah, we thought he was in before you posted, but you just confirmed even more. Yeah, thanks Sakurai, Ridley is in brawl!

Exactly! Even if he's not confirmed, it's hard to argue that his chances did not increase. Also some one was arguing about Ballon Fighter and how he was suppose to be in the game but they wanted the ICs to be in. Is this true?
Yes, Balloon fighter was intented for Melee, but ICs was put in over him.

Oh and @ Mars- he put that there because thats the music for the boss battle with Ridley...

Fawriel

Smash Master
Caael, it's your birthday? And weren't you the one most crazy about Ridley of us all?

If so...
SAKURAI'S WATCHING US OHMYGAWD

And happy birthday. *grins*

JesterBox

Smash Ace

- Neiteio
I had a simaliar theory for Mach Rider, just look at his trophy, they did a complete revamp on his charecter

Stryks

Smash Hero
Guys I literatlly screamed of joy when I saw the update, sure it could just mean a ridley stage, but guys hes the 2nd most requested character AND thats his theme song, the guy IMO is in...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom