• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ridley for SSBB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Procrasticritter

Smash Journeyman
It so tempting, you want to say "ZOMG! Ridley confirmed!" but of course you can't since the music doesn't really confirm anything character-wise officially... even though everybody wants to think so.

Muffin_man

Smash Journeyman
Huzzah. I kind of assumed that Ridley would make it in due to a huge lack of Metroid characters, even when you consider Zamus, but this remix being flung in the face of the horde of anti-Ridley's makes me happy. 8D

dynamic_entry

Smash Ace
It so tempting, you want to say "ZOMG! Ridley confirmed!" but of course you can't since the music doesn't really confirm anything character-wise officially... even though everybody wants to think so.
i dont think the assumption is too drastic. this is the quote from sakurai:

"It’s the theme song for Samus’s arch-nemesis, Ridley."

kinda hard to have a theme song appear without the actual character appearing. i kow theres other things to factor in (eg. quote lost in translation, or Ridley isnt necessarily playable) but at this point, im giving in to hope!

RIDLEY FOR BRAWL!!!!

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
^ at dynamic entrry - Yeah it's not like something like Mr Saturn in SSBM got it's own theme music just for being in the game.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
I like that he acknowledges that Ridley is Samus's Arch-nemesis. That seems to lend credence to Ridley AT LEAST having a shot at being playable.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
Ridley is confirmed. Saying otherwise in spite of all the evidence in favor of his appearance in SSBB is like saying Yoshi still isn't confirmed, and that Shy Guy has a better chance, or that it's just a Yoshi stage, but the character won't make an appearance. Music, most significant Metroid villain, and for ****s sake, he was in SSBM as a model for which they didn't have enough time to make a moveset. Ridley is confirmed.

Procrasticritter

Smash Journeyman
Ridley is confirmed. Saying otherwise in spite of all the evidence in favor of his appearance in SSBB is like saying Yoshi still isn't confirmed, and that Shy Guy has a better chance, or that it's just a Yoshi stage, but the character won't make an appearance. Music, most significant Metroid villain, and for ****s sake, he was in SSBM as a model for which they didn't have enough time to make a moveset. Ridley is confirmed.

yeah but we still don't wanna get our hopes up since there still is the slightest chance that he isn't.

but ah, what the hell...

Ridley for Brawl!

dynamic_entry

Smash Ace
its not fair comparing him to giga bowser. he was basically just a bigger version of a character they'd already put in. if they went to the trouble of making a model and moveset to make him a boss character then it would be undeniably ****ing stupid to give a 1 minute fight against samus at the end of some crappy 1p adventure mode. think ppl!

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
Yeah, we shouldn't get too carried away. Ridley's battle theme is one of the more prominent themes in Metroid, as well as one of the more memorable boss themes.

Still, the fact that Sakurai does refer to Ridley as Samus' arch nemesis is definitely interesting.

I'd be lying if I said that this update didn't boost my hope up somewhat.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
No, he's not confirmed. There's a very good chance, and strong evidence.

But in spite of it all he will be a newcomer, IF he comes. Yoshi was in ssb64. That garuntees him a spot.

I agree with you but please don't say he's confirmed until he is.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Jesus **** me with a spoon, I want to play as Ridley. And he better be awesome. Ridley needs shine to knee combos.

TaurToph

Smash Journeyman
But what explains the words "Boss Battle Music"? It's the name of the music?
Cuz it made me think that ridley is a boss...

Shuma

Smash Hero
He is.. in all the Metroid Games duh. that doesn't mean he will be a boss in SMBB.

But guys, don't get your hopes up yet, it coud only be the song in a Metroid Stage.

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
Holy cow. Even though we don't have a 100% confirmation now, but if I read that correctly, it says what dynamic posted:
dynamic_entry said:
"It’s the theme song for Samus’s arch-nemesis, Ridley."
then I think Ridley's chances have risen to 99,9% now. It's not saying from, it's saying for. Big difference in meaning even though it's just 1 letter difference in spelling.

Private Zulen

Smash Apprentice
Holy cow. Even though we don't have a 100% confirmation now, but if I read that correctly, it says what dynamic posted:

then I think Ridley's chances have risen to 99,9% now. It's not saying from, it's saying for. Big difference in meaning even though it's just 1 letter difference in spelling.
It's also a translation.

For a blog.

Private Zulen

Smash Apprentice
so............you're denying that the song is Ridley's theme song? or that samus' arch nemesis is Ridley? even without that quote its pretty clear what the music is.
Did you not see who I quoted? Judging an entire statement on a conjunction no less assuming is makes that much of a difference strikes me as odd.

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
Why do I get the feeling that this topic will gain an extra 10+ pages before the end of the day?

However, something struck me. Sakurai isn't stupid. I'm sure he's aware of Ridley's popularity and that ther eis a lot of people wanting him in Brawl. I'm pretty sure that he realises that this update would lead to much speculation about Ridley being in Brawl and he doesn't strike me as the person who would raise peoples hopes up for nothing. In short, I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai is indeed hinting at Ridley being in Brawl.

I also find the word 'cruelty' to be an interesting choice for a word, as it almost pertains to Ridley himself (if anyone understands Japanese or any of the other languages, if you could confirm what the translation is in those blogs it would be greatly appreciated).

Not to mention that openly stating that Ridley is Samus' arch rival is putting him on the same level as Biowser and Ganondorf.

No, Ridley is not confirmed. However, I just feel like Sakurai is goding me into believing he's in with this update.

Private Zulen

Smash Apprentice
Why do I get the feeling that this topic will gain an extra 10+ pages before the end of the day?

However, something struck me. Sakurai isn't stupid. I'm sure he's aware of Ridley's popularity and that ther eis a lot of people wanting him in Brawl. I'm pretty sure that he realises that this update would lead to much speculation about Ridley being in Brawl and he doesn't strike me as the person who would raise peoples hopes up for nothing. In short, I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai is indeed hinting at Ridley being in Brawl.

I also find the word 'cruelty' to be an interesting choice for a word, as it almost pertains to Ridley himself (if anyone understands Japanese or any of the other languages, if you could confirm what the translation is in those blogs it would be greatly appreciated).

Not to mention that openly stating that Ridley is Samus' arch rival is putting him on the same level as Biowser and Ganondorf.

No, Ridley is not confirmed. However, I just feel like Sakurai is goding me into believing he's in with this update.
I can't imagine Sakurai coming out and saying "He's gonna be in, she's gonna be in". No, no, I know for a fact he won't say that. He wants the largest fanbase meeting he can get when he announces these characters, and E3 is the best bet.

Instead of coming straight out and telling us, he's apparently making us guess. Some less subtle than others, but playing theme music for Yoshi and then making a statement like "Does putting this in mean Yoshi will be in?", it's grounds for suspicious that Ridley will be in.

Of course, I could just be second-guessing and Sakurai has no intention of putting Ridley in.

GenG

Smash Lord
In the japanese web says:

サムスの宿敵“リドリー”のテーマ曲でもあります。
"It's the theme for Samus' main enemy, Ridley". The translation is accurate.

Fawriel

Smash Master
*squeal*

I'm not even looking forward to Ridley THAT much ( not as much as a handful of others ), but... this is the best update so far for me. I don't even know, why.

*has little hearts in his eyes*

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
You know, the only reason I ever thought Ridley wouldn't work in Brawl is because of how BIG he is compared to other characters... but then I remembered how big Pikachu & Kirby are compared to Mario and I thought it possible. The only thing, though, is that Ridley is going to be right next to Samus in Brawl, so they can't size him down too much. Perhaps he'll end up as tall as Bowser but longer, ending up being the overall largest character. Certainly would make him kind of a punching bag if he wasn't the fast, cruel mofo he is in Metroid. If his moves are lagging, then Bowser's track record should show you where a huge, bulky, slow but powerful character is heading.

Not surprisingly, the slow, bulky characters in most fighting games are usually never anywhere near the best characters.

Really, though, for Ridley to be in Brawl... this is awesome! Ridley was such a cool-looking boss I bought Super Metroid just to fight him.

Falcolegend

Smash Journeyman
although it doesn't confirm ridley, it increases his chances tenfold. :)

I however am very optimistic about ridley's inclusion now. Sakurai knows that a lot of speculation about his inclusion will be created as of this update, he's hardly likely to disappoint. If he's not in the game, i doubt he would emphasis that it's ridley's music.

D

Deleted member

A character does not usualy get a theme tune like that. Also note it says 'boss battle'. He could have just called it Ridley's theme. I'm guessing this means an end of adventure boss fight or something.

"In the original game, most of the places where you heard this song were the sites of fierce battles."

Other boss battle hints?

I know its temtping to scream 'NEWCOMER', but I believe this means RIDLEY IS A BOSS. Please don't flame me. :p

Darn it Sakurai, don't play with our heads!

Aki-toriko

Smash Apprentice
Ridley's theme in itself doesn't confirm he's in, it is possibly the most recognisable and (dare I say it) best theme from the Metroid Series so having it in would make a lot of sense. But I've always thought Ridley would be a likely addition anyway, whether as a boss or as a playable character. He certainly has the fanbase and the moves for an appearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom