• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ridley for SSBB

Status
Not open for further replies.

xianfeng

Smash Hero

Ridley is a fictional antagonist from the Metroid video game franchise. His appearance is similar to that of a rather thin, bony European dragon (with four limbs, two bat-like wings, a spear-tipped tail, and the ability to exhale fire and/or plasma). Due to his appearance and affliation with the Space Pirates, some people have come to refer to him as a "space dragon." He also possesses a head-crest like that of a pteranodon instead of the classic twin horns of a dragon, leading others to compare him to said pterosaur. Ridley's appearance and abilities change from game to game, for various reasons.

Ridley is the main villain in the metroid series which is extrodinarly under representated (having only Samus/Zamus). Let's face it Brawl needs more villains and Ridley is perfect. They said they were trying to improve aerial combat and I think those things strapped to his back would help that!

by Lord_Deathbourne

B neutral -- Spitfire/Fire Beam: similar to superscope; tap B and he fire three consecutive fireballs, each landing just infront of the preceeding one, similar to his fire attack in Super Metroid. Hold B and he charges for a fire beam like in Metroid Prime

B forward -- Tail Harpoon: Jabs tail forward like a harpoon.

B up -- Wing Thrust: similar to MP3 boss battle footage, where he spins upward with wings folded then streaches them out when he reaches his apex. Has the effect of drilling opponent beneath him and smashes away with streach.

B down -- Dragon Dive: similar mechanics to the Falcon Kick: diangonal down when airborne and a forward dash when grounded. Airborne execution serves as a meteor smash while grounded execution serves only to knock opponent into the air, similar to Fox Illusion.

His Brawl attack could be some sort of Mega Flare ala Bahamut from FF7

by Kaid

a: claw swipes (Bowser)
tiltA: tail attack (like M2)
downA: Bite
upA: overhead claw (like bowser)

fair: foward claw (like bowser)
Dair: foot-claw swipe (Marth)
Backair: tailflick (M2)
Upair: flip with tail (M2)
Nair: aerial spin

Fsmash: Headbutt
Usmash: Overhead bite
Dsmash: Double tail flick (yoshi, with more range)

B: Kinetic Breath Weapon- think a shorter thunder that starts at ridley's mouth and angles downward. Startup time is comparable to Warlock Punch or Gannon's uptilt

vB: Wingover dive- Ridly stopps falling for an instant, gliding foward... then flips over and drops like a rock. inspired by Warlock/Falcon kick.

<B Meta Claw- Read as Koopa claw

^B: Bombing run- Ridley flys upward, dropping weak explosive projectiles.

by X_Arre

-Moderately heavy
-Scaled down to Bowser size.
-A-attacks including (but not limited to) tail swipes/stabs, bites, claw slashes and wing strikes.
-Has two midjumps
-Falls fairly quickly.
-Neutral B: Fire blast: Like someone mentioned before, Ridley would spit multiple fireballs, with progressing range. The number of fireballs depends how many times you press it in succession (up to 4). When firing, you can change the direction of the blast, ala Yoshi. When held, the blast will charge in his mouth. Maximum charge is five seconds. When the charge is released, Ridley will let out a screech and the blast will discharge. The blast would be a mix of Roy's fully charged B, Bowser's B, and Mario's Fsmash. It would start as an explosion, and send opponents flying, and finish as a steady flame Like Ness's PK fire, only bigger.
-Forward B: Lunge: On the ground, Ridley will lunge forward and grab the enemy next to him. If out of range, it will be a slashing attack, ala Bowser. Once in Ridley's grip, the enemy will be exposed to biting (with A), or torching (with B). When performed in the air, Ridley will fly forward a little farther than Fox's illusion, swooping down a little and coming back up. This is used as an alternate recovery, like Illusion. If an opponent is grabbed by this, Ridley will comeplete the move, enemy in his claws. When you are still in the air with the opponent, you can tailstab him (>B/<B), stomp him to the ground (vB), throw him back up (^B), or torch him (B). If the enemy is thrown back up, you will not be stunned and will be able to do more aerial attacks. When you land with the opponent, the earlier controls apply.
-Down B: Protect? (not sure what to call it): Ridley will wrap his wings around him, absorbing all attacks for a second (like Meta Knight, w/o invisibility). If attacks are absorbed, he will abruptly open his wings and screech, hitting enemies from all directions. This will work like Marth/Roy's Down B, except hitting enemies anywhere, not just in front of him. If nothing hits Ridley, he will calmly open his wings.
-Up B: Sky Missile: Ridley will strongly flap his wings once, blowing opponents downward (useful for edgeguarding)and swoop upward with his fings now folded. At the top of the flight, he will open up, hitting those in front of him with a slash. When performed on the ground, He will screech and flap is wings, blowing everyone away from him and creating some distance. If the enemy is airbourne, it will turn them around like Mario's cape.
-Throw: He will grab the opponent. Hitting them will make Ridley claw at them, throwing them forward or back will make Ridley fling him/her away and shoot a follow up missile. Throwing them up will just, well... throw them upward. Throwing down will make Ridley stomp on them, and slash them away.
-Taunt: Ridley will throw his arms back, flap his wings, and screech.
-When kirby sucks him up, he will get wings and a tail.
by Meta Alex
Walker Ridley

B: Flaming Breath Sweep,
Ridley fires a constant stream of fire for 3 seconds that has the ability to push enemies back quite well but it poor at finishing them. The direction could be controlled by the player during the attack.

Foward+B: Charge Attack,
Ridley opens his mouth and jumps forward, almost completely horizontally, dealing a good amount of damage with good finishing and knockback potential.

Up+B: Fly,
Switches Ridley into his second form, see below.

Down+B: Ground Smash,
Ridley jumps into the air and hits the ground with a large shockwave, doing minimal damage but with very good knockback results. If you're a fan of the older Metroids, you can imagine his doing his pogo-tail attack.

Ridley would be a bit like DK in his basic stats: fairly quick and powerful, but with pickup time after his attacks, making him vulnerable to counter-attacks (does this sound like a boss battle yet?). In addition to this, he wouild be hard to knock off the stage at anything less than 120%, due to his wieght, even with a well-charged smash attack.

Flyer Ridley

B: Flaming Breath Sweep.
See above.

Forward+B: Swoop.
As you charge it, you can aim Ridley who swoops down and back up, dealing good amounts of damage and knockback, doing a 90 degree turn in all.

Up+B: Propell,
Ridley faces the ground at a 45 degree angle and shoots jets of flame out of his mouth, pushing himself upwards and doing damage to anyone below.

Down+ B: Revert,
Goes back to walker Ridley.

Generally, this form of Ridley would have free, gravity-free movement. The cost, however, would be the lack of any stringable moves and the ability to be knocked off far easier than anyone else, at about 50%. He would have to rely on mundane swoop attacks for damage, and this form would be more for attacking enemies without rqanged attacks, although those ones could very easily damage and kill him with their powerful melee.

by kmkzSP1K3R
A combo: quick claw, quick claw, tail staccato(multiple jabs with his tail)
DashA: ram/headbutt

Grabs by hand OR could be by tail, pressing A attack with bites
Thow^: tail launches opponent up
Throw>: uses wing(the part with the "tooth") to smash opponent forward
Throw<: tail launches opponent back
Throw\/: slams his tail on the opponent(similar to mewtwo)

tilts:
^A: overhead claw(similar to bowser)
>A: forward claw/tail slap
\/A: crouching claw/tail sweep

smashes:
^A: something like fox's and if ridely's feet dont get you(sweetspot), his tail will(less damage))
>A: Lunging claw swipe
\/A: Tail Sweep(both sides)

aerials:
Nair: spin kinda like zelda but in a Ridley demeanor
Uair: aerial flip with tail(like mewto)
Fair: forwrd tail whip
Dair: meteor smash by foot/tail
Bair: tail whip (like mewto)

Bs:
neutralB: breath(short energybeam? flame? ice? or just REALLY bad breath?)
^B: angled up spin(a la Demitri's "demon cradle" from Darkstalkers)
>B: headbutt(falco fantasm?) or uses his wing to deflec(Mario's cape?)
\/B: one or two revolutions with tail out(his tail is LONG!)

by Darkknight077

Nuetral B- Plamsa Cannon(Like in Metriod Prime): Ridley can charge up his Cannon to max power to devestate about half of row of field.

Down B- Plamsa bombs:Ridley flies a bit off the ground in a digonal way dropping bombs on the floor exlploding everywhere.

Up B-Missles:Meta Ridley in the air spins around flying up shooting missles that have homing captailty to near character.

Foward B-Charge: Ridley Charges across the floor and using his head head to make a character fly up to the sky.

A-Claw Swipe
AA-Two Claw Swipes
AAA-Three Calw Swipes

Up tilt A-(Like Bowser's Up tilt A)
Down tilt A-(Like Bowser's D tilt A)
Foward tilt A-Hard bite on the charcter

Foward Smash A-Ridley uses his fist to hit oppenent (Meteor Smash as well)
Down Smash A-Ridley ducks his head and releases a mini firball on to the ground creating a small explosion on the floor.
Up Smash A-Ridley uses his wings to hit the character and send it flying.

Nair-Ridley uses tail on the character.
Fair-Claw Swipe(Like Bower's)
Uair-Shoots up a small fireball
Dair-Uses his tail like a harpoon (Like Link's Dair)

Grabs:
A-Attack(Like Bowser's)
F-throw-Ridley uses his mouth and let's a plamsa beam on him.
D-Throw-Ridley uses foot on character to to move him around on th floor causing damage (Stays in same spot)
U-Throw-Ridley throws the character up.
B-throw-Uses tail to go around teh character and throws him down on the stage causing the Character to go up.(Meaning bounce)

Super Smash attack-All out:Ridley uses his plasma beam and missles to cover entire stage causing heavy damage and knockouts at high percentages.

Taunt:Ridley screeches and moves his back and forth.

Stats:
4/5 Weight, with the extra armor he becomes a bit heavier.
5/5 Power, with the added weapons Ridley is deadly all around.
3/5 Speed, With the added weight Ridley slows quite a bit.

I'm up to page 7 in searching for your movesets

Ippius

Smash Journeyman
I reckon ridley is a great idea and should have been in SSBM because of Samus. he does have wings and stuff so I really don't think he's going to be like Bowzer...

SensFan

Smash Cadet
I have no clue who that is. I'm so alienated from the non-Smash Nintendo world. *googles Ridley* Oooooh... him. I've always liked his show. BELIEVE IT OR NOT!

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Think Super Metroid and Metroid Prime. There's a wide variety of moves that could be utilized from those games. Also, if anyone's seen the MP3 footage on IGN, it opens even more possibilities.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Possible Ridley B-moveset:

B neutral -- Spitfire/Fire Beam: similar to superscope; tap B and he fire three consecutive fireballs, each landing just infront of the preceeding one, similar to his fire attack in Super Metroid. Hold B and he charges for a fire beam like in Metroid Prime

B forward -- Tail Harpoon: Jabs tail forward like a harpoon.

B up -- Wing Thrust: similar to MP3 boss battle footage, where he spins upward with wings folded then streaches them out when he reaches his apex. Has the effect of drilling opponent beneath him and smashes away with streach.

B down -- Dragon Dive: similar mechanics to the Falcon Kick: diangonal down when airborne and a forward dash when grounded. Airborne execution serves as a meteor smash while grounded execution serves only to knock opponent into the air, similar to Fox Illusion.

His Brawl attack could be some sort of Mega Flare ala Bahamut from FF7

Crude ideas at best, but a good starting point at pondering just what Ridley would be like in SSBB.

FireStar

Smash Apprentice
All of bowser's moves "CAN" be done with Ridley. Ridley has spikes on it's back just like bowswer. Ridley can breath fire just like bowser. Ridley has claws just like bower does... Get it yet? Or do I need to repeat myself again?

Pete278

Smash Lord
FireStar said:
All of bowser's moves "CAN" be done with Ridley. Ridley has spikes on it's back just like bowswer. Ridley can breath fire just like bowser. Ridley has claws just like bower does... Get it yet? Or do I need to repeat myself again?
No, they can't be done. HE HAS WINGS! Does that mean anything to you? He's also much lighter then Bowser.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
FireStar said:
having Ridley as a clone of Bowser is like having Elmo as a clone of Link

FireStar

Smash Apprentice
Pete278 said:
No, they can't be done. HE HAS WINGS! Does that mean anything to you? He's also much lighter then Bowser.
Of course they'll change a couple things. They wouldn't leave him exactly the same.

Pete278

Smash Lord
FireStar said:
Of course they'll change a couple things. They wouldn't leave him exactly the same.
From what it looks like, you don't know who Ridley is. I suggest you go search for him and see who he actually is, then start arguing.

Silpheed

Smash Journeyman
Ridley only has firebreath in common with Bowser, nothing else. It wouldnt work. Different speeds, flight, etc. Even different sizes.

Also, I think we wont be seeing the same clone type situations anymore either. In Melee the clones got a bit more of a unique touch, and we should expect more of the same.

Silpheed

Smash Journeyman
Well, it wouldnt be too hard to catch up. I mean, there are ways to get ahold of the first 3 titles in the Metroid series right at home (hint hint).

Silpheed

Smash Journeyman
Good move I say. Ridley is the first boss in Super Metroid btw, so pop that in first.

FireStar

Smash Apprentice
Xemnas said:
Ridley only has firebreath in common with Bowser, nothing else. It wouldnt work. Different speeds, flight, etc. Even different sizes.

Also, I think we wont be seeing the same clone type situations anymore either. In Melee the clones got a bit more of a unique touch, and we should expect more of the same.
Look at how Gannon turned out... He's a captain falcon clone... Just like Ridley most certainly could be. I'm not saying that he " WILL". I'm just saying that it is very possible that he "COULD" be...

And I know who the hades Ridley is baby.

Pete278

Smash Lord
FireStar said:
Look at how Gannon turned out... He's a captain falcon clone... Just like Ridley most certainly could be. I'm not saying that he " WILL". I'm just saying that it is very possible that he "COULD" be...

And I know who the hades Ridley is baby.
I don't really see any possible way that Ridley could have any chance of being a Bowser clone. They are different in almost every possible way, except the fire breathing.

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
It's funny how every one is all "Oh knoes! dey shodlnt mak clonz in teh next samsh game!" and then when the suggestion of a character comes up, the first thing they say is "o ya hed b gud clon of Bozwer" or something.

On topic, yes, I think Ridley would be a great inclusion. If he did get in, I imagine he'd be a mid tier character that all the noobs would go for, thinking he's the ownage because he looks mean.

Pete278

Smash Lord
Well, he'd at least be better then Bowser due to him being Ridley and all :p. He's faster, so that should allow him to be better then Bowser.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Anyone willing to speculate on a moveset for everyone's favorite space dragon?
If you're not very familiar with the Metroid series, just think of moves that would fit a dragon in general.

EDIT: Where's the Ridley love??

kaid

Smash Master
Ridley's A moves can take inspiration from both Bowser's claw attacks and Mewtwo's tail attacks. For instance, His foward air could be based off bowser, but his backair could be like Mewtwo's tailflick.

a: claw swipes (Bowser)
tiltA: tail attack (like M2)
downA: Bite
upA: overhead claw (like bowser)

fair: foward claw (like bowser)
Dair: foot-claw swipe (Marth)
Backair: tailflick (M2)
Upair: flip with tail (M2)
Nair: aerial spin

Fsmash: Headbutt
Usmash: Overhead bite
Dsmash: Double tail flick (yoshi, with more range)

B: Kinetic Breath Weapon- think a shorter thunder that starts at ridley's mouth and angles downward. Startup time is comparable to Warlock Punch or Gannon's uptilt

vB: Wingover dive- Ridly stopps falling for an instant, gliding foward... then flips over and drops like a rock. inspired by Warlock/Falcon kick.

<B Meta Claw- Read as Koopa claw

^B: Bombing run- Ridley flys upward, dropping weak explosive projectiles.

(NEEDS WORK!)

Navajo7

Smash Rookie
ridley is freakin awesome and like his different skins could be his different forms(metriod fans know what im talking about.)

JmcShocker14

Banned via Administration
I'm sorry but this game is not for him. Somebody close this thing down. get it out of here

=TF=Omega

Smash Cadet
Perhaps as a boss, but otherwise, I really don't think it would work. :dizzy: .

1. He's too big. (Scaled down would be akward.)
2. He won't fit in with the other characters. (This is a fighting game, so I'm afraid dragons won't work too well.)

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
=TF=Omega said:
Perhaps as a boss, but otherwise, I really don't think it would work. :dizzy: .

1. He's too big. (Scaled down would be akward.)
2. He won't fit in with the other characters. (This is a fighting game, so I'm afraid dragons won't work too well.)
I would love to see Ridley as a playable character, but I agree 100%.

crazyhoward

Smash Cadet
Ridley is great and could totaly work. I really want him in the game. I think he should his jumps could look really cool. I don't think his moves should be too similar to past characters though even those were some good ideas. I like the beam Idea. I think it should build up in his mouth. And he needs lots of tail whips and biting moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom