• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chance Returns! Day 13 - Bowser Jr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wigglytuff ★

Smash Cadet
Ridley likelihood: 25%.

He's got a real shot, but if they were gonna make Ridley playable they'd likely have done it by now.

(what are people doing voting 80%+ for anybody? Ain't nobody's got a 90% chance, y'all, not even the character you think of as most likely. A lot of characters from Brawl aren't even that high)

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

He's got a real shot, but if they were gonna make Ridley playable they'd likely have done it by now.

(what are people doing voting 80%+ for anybody? Ain't nobody's got a 90% chance, y'all, not even the character you think of as most likely. A lot of characters from Brawl aren't even that high)

I'd argue that right now, Little Mac and Mii's have a 90% chance or higher. Based on various things. (Punch-Out!! stage, Sakurai talking about a specific customizable character.)

Also, I'd say Yoshi and Luigi and Diddy Kong have a 999% chance at least. :shades:

Lightosia

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Light0sia
Ridley: 81% ~ Here it is, the most wanted newcomer for Smash 4!
I dunno, he had his chances in Brawl, but was turned into a boss (twice). I think his chances now are lower than pre-Brawl.
Also, the last game from the series was the mediocre Other:M.

Want: 90% ~
+Smash needs villains!
+Non-Samus Metroid character
+It would encourage a new Metroid game
-He is too big

Isaac prediction - 64%

Nominations:
Lucas x2
Jigglypuff x2
Ike

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
Wigglytuff * said:

you screwd up Almost Everybodys votes

D

Deleted member

Posting this here and GameFAQs; not counting my vote twice here.

Ridley ~ 80%

Ridley should have been in Brawl as a playable character but was instead relegated to a boss in said game. As a matter of fact, here is the infamous quote from Sakurai that almost everyone in the community knows:

Nintendo Power: There was a rumor at one point about Ridley being playable. Was that ever a consideration?

Sakurai: I think that would probably be pretty impossible. [Laughs] If we had put our best efforts into it, we may have been able to do it. But he might have been a little slow. Would that be all right? [Laughs]
The quote has been taken in many ways. Most Ridley supporters use this quote as evidence that Sakurai sees Ridley as being able to work with enough effort while Ridley detractors sees this as something that indicates that Ridley won't fit in. However, a middling ground is best approached here when discussing this quote; he may change his opinion on Ridley, but he may find it not worth the effort to add Ridley either. However, there are good reasons to believe that Ridley will finally make his playable debut.

First thing to note is that Ridley is one of the most popular characters for this game. He has been among the Top 5 most wanted characters for Smash 4 and among the Top 5 in the West ever since the pre-Brawl days. Another thing to note with his popularity is that Ridley has been highly requested to get into a Smash Bros. game ever since the pre-Melee days. The only other character that was highly popular for Smash 4 that was a popular request ever since the pre-Melee days was Mega Man and he made the cut for Smash 3DS/Wii U. It's logical to assume that Ridley would follow in Mega Man's footstep.

But what is the most important thing that could lead to Ridley's inclusion is that the three newcomers already confirmed (Villager, Mega Man and Wii Fit Trainer) has opened the gate a lot wider for Ridley. The Villager was a previously rejected character that failed to get into Brawl due to his peaceful nature, yet he made an appearance in SSB 3DS/Wii U. Mega Man by being third-party was an incredibly difficult fit, yet he was added to the game as well. Wii Fit Trainer also has a very unconventional and unique style of play.

What these three newcomers show is that if these three can be made playable, Ridley definitely can be made into a playable character. The Villager shows that Sakurai does change his mind on characters he previously rejected, so even if Ridley was rejected back in pre-Brawl, there is room for Sakurai to re-consider him for playable status. Mega Man shows that Sakurai is willing to go through the excruciating work to fit a third-party character in, which Sakurai has mentioned is a grueling process (in some ways, even harder than making the game itself). Being a Nintendo character, Ridley is inevitably going to be a much easier fit even if fitting him in will be difficult; it's still easier than the work it takes to get Mega Man in. Wii Fit Trainer also shows that unconventional style of play can work in Smash and that Ridley could also work with an unconventional style.

What Villager, Mega Man and Wii Fit Trainer have all in common is that they're incredibly unique. They have play styles that can't be emulated by anyone else and they all work out very well. Sakurai is emphasizing a lot on uniqueness (just look at the game play of the three newcomers along with interviews) and Ridley has potentials to be incredibly unique as well.

Put all of these things together and Ridley is a likely candidate for this game. Not guarantee, but certainly up there.

Want ~ 90%

I've been going back and forth in regards to wanting Ridley to be playable, but I've decided to commit support for Ridley. He is long overdue for a spot as a playable character and playing as a space dragon is pretty awesome. This is coming from someone who has never played a game with Ridley on it. Probably would be 100% if that was the case; but I'd be disappointed if Ridley got the shaft once more.

Isaac gets a 57.14% as my prediction. People have become increasingly doubtful of Isaac lately, but there are still a lot of hopefuls left.

Nominate Pac-Man x5.

@God's Robert Cousin, Banjodorf, nessokman: We are not rating Isaac's likelihood today. Instead, we're predicting what Isaac gets tomorrow as a final score.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Ridley chances: 79%
Pretty likely. People want him, I think he's doable, Sakurai has commented on him and said he's possible. Nonetheless, you never know, Sakurai may decided he can't do him justice.

Want: 98% He's probably my second most wanted new character after Mega Man.

Isaac prediction: 58% I don't think people think he's inevitable.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Ridley

Chance: 68%
The fan demand puts him in a good position. Unfortunately that's one of the few things he has going for him as Sakurai has mentioned it's a difficult one and may again opt to include him as a boss or AT.

Want: 95%
Although I haven't talked about Ridley much this year, he's always been at the very top of my most wanted ever since Melee.

Nomination: Pac Man x 5

Chauzu

Smash Ace
Ridley: 70% - I guess it all boils down to if the SSB team finds a way they like for him to work. I'm sure they want him, but if they do they want it to be right.
Want: 85% - another Metroid rep? Yeah! Although I've never cared espescially for Ridley. I could also do with a random Space Pirate really.

Isaac: 65% - Nobody can be that sure of his inclusion whilst quite a few won't be optimistic either. I think it will end up around this.

Nominations:

Phoenix Wright
Uncle Scrooge
Professor Layton

Sandbag x2

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Ridley

Likeliness: 75%
I think Ridley has a fairly good chance of becoming playable. However, due to several factors, he may also be given the passing glance by Sakurai and be included in a more supportive/secondary nature. However, Metroid is in dire need of some representation outside of Samus and Ridley is easily the most iconical, relevant, and popular pick. I wouldn't even consider Dark Samus, Anthony, or random Hunter viable rivals. Unless Sakurai decides that Ridley is too big. Following what SSBF said, this new Smash seems to be focused on characters and an emphasis on uniqueness. All three characters that were introduced bring something new to the table. Ridley would do more that that - he would devour said table and burn it to oblivion! Ridley is also one of that last few deal breakers for many people. Not to mention, he would represent a popular but under-represented franchise, be another villain which Smash needs, and fills the space dragon demographic. He needs to be in - its only logical. Will he? It's up to Sakurai.

Want: 100%

I really want Ridley. Pure and simple. He can be utilized in Smash with the right amount of work. I would love to see Dark Samus as well but, if I had to pick between the two, I'd pick Ridley.

Isaac

Prediction: 68%

Nomz:

Nightmare x 3
Dixie Kong x2

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Ridley chances: 80% - Hard to implement, but definitely makes up for it in importance, popularity and potential.

Want: 100% - My all-time favorite video game character, speaks for itself.

Isaac prediction: 65%

@tomic

Smash Apprentice
Ridley chances: 60% - Nintendo hasn't been showing much Metroid love since Other M which was a game that had a very polarizing reaction among fans. You could take this as either Nintendo wanting to keep Metroid on the backburner or as Nintendo should feel like it's about time they did something for Metroid fans. There's also the fact that many franchises represented in Smash have more than one character from said series and Metroid is one of the few franchises that only has one. That's the main reason I put this slightly higher than 50-50. The fact that Sakurai limited him to boss status in the last game and his past comments on Ridley's size (whether or not we think that's a problem is irrelevant, it's Sakurai's opinion on the matter that really counts in terms of his chances) lower the odds of him appearing for me. I think it could go either way

Want: 80% - I think he could be an interesting and unique character and the game could always use another heavy-weight character as well as another character from an underrepresented franchise. There are ultimately characters I want more, but I think he'd make a good addition personally.

Isaac Prediction: 63%

Nominations:
Robin (FE:Awakening Avatar) 5x

Most of the other characters I'd want will either get plenty of noms without my help or have practically 0 chance of appearing in the game. I've always wanted to see something other than the typical sword-wielder make it in from the Fire Emblem series. I thought about nominating a pure magic wielder, but I felt that the avatar from Awakening would be both more likely (being a major character) and potentially more interesting as Robin has both a sword and magic at his/her disposal, making for what could be a rather versatile character. The fact that his/her traits are customizeable might be a bit of an obstacle, but they apparently didn't let that stop them with the Animal Crossing Villager. They might be asking for more of that silly sexism controversy if they opt for the male version of the character though :p

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I say Ridley has a 75% chance of of being added. I feel that Sakurai knows how popular the character is, and I'm sure he can make him an interesting fighter. Not to mention, Metroid is rather under represented as far as popular franchises go, Having only two characters that have to share a spot on the character select screen. I remember hearing something on how it would take their best efforts to make Ridley playable without being too strong or awkward, but with Namco's help maybe they can help balance him out.

Want: 95%. He's one of my favorite Nintendo villains, and it'd be nice to see another Metroid character playable. There's something about Ridley that would make the roster more complete in my book. My only worry is that attributes from other heavy hitters will be slapped on to him, which is basically why I put 95% instead of 100%

Isaac: 67% I have a feeling that many will want him but won't get their hopes up.

I nominate King K. Rool, Lil' Mac, Dixie Kong, Chrom, and er....Waluigi I guess. Because I want to see what people really think about the guy.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Ridley: I honestly only say like 35%. He's really wanted, and I think that's one of the only things going for him. Unlike other villians, or characters in general, like DDD, Bowser, Mewtwo, or Ganondorf, he seems like he totally lacks consciousness in his game appearances, just a big snarling, biting, winged beast, as opposed to a "character." He's perfectly suited for being a boss or assist trophy, but I don't think he screams all that playable to me. I think if another Metroid rep happened to add on to the essentially-two we have, it'd be Anthony.
Want: 20%. I'm not exactly a fan of the metroid series, and as the above paragraph suggested, I don't think he seems like he'd be much of a "character" to play as. I really don't think I'd like any playstyle he'd add to the table either.
Inclusion (as assist trophy or boss or etc): 100%. He will be in the game, I'd put money on that, but I highly doubt him being playable.

Isaac: Predicting 70%. I think most of us agree that he's among the likeliest, but his not being of a major title will disturb a few people.

Nominations: Rayman x5

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Ridley: 72%
Want: 95%

He has a decent shot now that other main characters are out of the way and knowing that Sakurai not ruling him out completely with the statement that he probably could have made him work. He also has the added bonus of being the obvious choice for the next Metroid rep, being the main villain and having tons of fan support. Though he has been passed up on 2 titles where he could have gotten in(not counting SSB because the roster was so small nobody was likely to get in). It's sort of Ridley's last stand.

Prediction:
Isaac: 57% He's a popular choice in the west but he hasn't had a game since 2008 so he isn't getting any more popular.

Nomination:
K.Rool x2
Bowser Junior x2
Mewtwo

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ridley, eh?

One of the few characters that I'd definitely be disappointed if not included.

Likelihood: 88%

One of the most requested for Brawl that didn't make it in. Combine a competent balancing team with the fact that Sakurai sees his popularity now and pre-Brawl, and I feel he has a really good shot.

Predicting a 68% for Isaac.

Nominations: x5 Ice Climbers.

Also, people seem to be a lot more pessimistic now than in the other RTC.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Ridley
Prediction 75% - Can complete the Metroid franchise for characters, but Sakurai might see him as a boss, again, but who knows.
Want 70% - I wouldn't be that upset if he didn't appear, but he surely is welcome.

Isaac- 72%

Nominations
3x Ike
2x Lucas

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Prediction: 80% If Sakurai listens to the most requested 3rd party character, then Ridley should be in also.
Want: 50% i'm not a big Metroid fan..
Predicting Isaac 60%: Not too sure actually, it just seems like a decent choice.

Nominations:
x5 Dixie Kong.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Ridley
Prediction: 89% ...I feel like he is a given at this point if Sakurai is actually listening to the fans.
Want: 86%... I love Metroid, so a famous character from the series would be appreciated

Isaac: I really want him in too but he has a slim chance....64% Maybe he'll get a Golden Sun reboot or something on Wii U

Nominations:
Shulk x5

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Ridley Prediction :65% Ignoring Ridley would be ridiculous. But making an appearance as a boss, AT, or stage hazzard isn't being ignored. I think there's a good chance he'll find his way to the roster but Sakurai might come to think he belongs elsewhere.
Want:75% I always liked Ridley.

Isaac score prediction: 70% predicting predictions is hard

Nominations:
x3Robin
x1Toad
x1PaperMario

Morbi

Scavenger
Ridley Prediction: 50%
At this point Sakurai is aware of the desire to have him playable. Wolf who was in the Melee opening didn't debut until Brawl. So SSB4 might be Ridley's time. The scaling is practical, there is no reason he can't be scaled down. However, the amount of effort may not be desirable. So Sakurai may wish to just ignore him. Everyone is asking for more antagonists though. Metroid's reoccurring antagonist is none other than Ridley. I think his chances are 50/50. It all comes down to whether or not Sakurai wants to attempt him. We already know Sakurai has considered him... and that he is a desired character.

Ridley Want: 90%
I want Ridley. More Metroid representation is in order. Not only that... but I spent hours trying to unlock him in Melee based on that opening sequence. I believe that it is third times the charm in this case. I think he would not only be one of the most unique characters to add but he would also be really really fun to play. Sakurai can showcase the talent working on the game and show that he appreciates our feedback. I wouldn't be devastated if he didn't make it in. I just think he is really high on my wish list. Second only to Wolf.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Palutena - : 70% Want: 40%
I don't think she's as likely as people say she is. I could go much more in-depth on this and already did in the probable character roster: It's possible, but we really don't even know the requisites for side characters. To make matters worse, especially if the rumor is true and her popularity didn't "Uprise" (lol that was terrible) until too late...

If she makes it in though, more power to her.

Ridley: 85% Want: 100%
I think it's likable for a lot of reasons, especially because MANY series I don't see them adding a character or at least, I don't see them considered over Ridley. His programming/artist issues aren't an easy one to counter though, even if him being big isn't the problem.

Masked Man x3
K Rool
Dillon

D

Deleted member

Ridley

Chance:85%
Want: 99%

I support Ridley's inclusion.
He's the only boss character can be converted in playable.
His cameos made me want his inclusion.
Metroid deserves another rep.
Ridley is a good addition to villains roster.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Ridley
Likeliness : 90%
Come on Sakurai, Ridley is :
-Important to the metroid series,
-Very poppular...
-...Since a long time now,
-Have no competition for a new Metroid rep,
-Have a lot moveset potential,
-Have appeared in several games since Brawl...
-...Even in some who were not metroid games, proving that he is a recognizable part on the Metroid series,
-Is the biggest foe of Samus (this even be made more visible in Other M that in several past games),
-Can help you to please the western audiance in SSB4, the best characters for this being Ridley and Little Mac.

Want : 100%
No playable Ridley is the only thing with bad online who can dissapoint me in SSB4.

Prediction
Isaac : 35%
I don't have that much faith in him =/

Nomination
Mewtwo X5

Keto

Smash Journeyman
Ridley: 99% I don't see any logical reason why he shouldn't be in this time.

Isaac: 33%

Nominations: Sandbag x5

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Ridley
Likelihood: 25%. I feel that I am being generous with that figure, even if it seems extremely low to most people. It's by and large the western audience that is calling for Ridley's debut as a newcomer. Ridley's menacing appearance and devastating attacks will undoubtedly be taken down a few notches with the inclusion of him into the playable roster, should it happen. This would not have to change about Ridley whatsoever if he were to remain a boss as he is (twice) in Brawl. For this reason, and for the sake of consistency with the previous game, the developers are likely to have Ridley retain his "boss" status as that is his true calling. It just seems like improper type casting and a breach of justice to have Ridley play any other role. Not to mention, more work. Even if Ridley is not a playable character, he has been repping Metroid since Melee as a trophy and even more notably in Brawl as a recurring boss (just as he's been a recurring boss in the Metroid series). He needn't become playable in order to rep his franchise. This is a fact which his hype train riders seem to forget.

Want: 50%. I kinda want to see him playable. He'd probably play like a hybrid of Charizard and Metaknight. It could be done. It's just hard to see justice being done to him should he be implemented in this way.

Nominations: Lynn & Krystal.
Lynn is a big part of the glorious Fire Emblem franchise which repeatedly enjoys praise from fans around the globe. Her personality and fighting style is a no-brainer for any fighter game, but she just so happens to be one of Nintendo's golden girls. And speaking of girls, Smash Bros. needs more of them. I know I am beating a dead horse with that statement, but it is nevertheless true.
Krystal: See Lynn. It mostly applies to Krystal. Possibly Wolf could be cut for Krystal, if needs be.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I forgot my nominations...

2x Simon Belmont
2x Dixie Kong
1x King K Rool

Shadow312

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shadzcat
Ridley

Likelihood: 58% I would say Ridley has just an above average chance for being included as a playable. I could see it going either way - he is probably a very hard character for them to design and make work. I do think it's possible if they make him a little bigger than bowser. I think he has a 50/50 shot for that reason but I would say a little more since he is arguably the most wanted character

Want: 65% I've never played any metroid games but I have heard of him A LOT since Melee. They should give the fans what they want, and I think having Samus' antagonist makes sense

Nomination: Krystal x5

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Ridley
Prediction 85% - I have a few doubts, mostly being a boss again and potentially being a balancing nightmare, but that still does not stop just how demanded he is. It's pretty much now or never for Ridley, and mercifully his chances seem to be as high as ever.

Want: 96% - Would be a perfect score, if not for the fact that we could end up with an ugly Other M model.

Isaac Prediction - 65% - Dark Dawn definitely is going to cause some pessimism here.

Nominations:
Lucario X2
Starfy X2
Roy X1

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Ridley
Chances: 85%
Very widely popular, a loud and dedicated fanbase, and the only good Metroid representative left.

Want: 65%
I'm not a Metroid fan as I haven't played a single Metroid game yet.

Isaac prediction: 75%
There are a few naysayers.

Nominations:
Lyn x 5

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Ridley

Likelihood - 90%
I don't have to list out the many reasons why Ridley is a borderline lock to appear in this Smash title...everyone here knows why, and those that don't have either been living under a rock or in denial. Ridley's exclusion from Brawl can be justified to some extent by the fact that Sakurai seemingly looked to Melee's poll while choosing characters, where he was unranked, as well as that a large enough pool of fan favorites remained that putting in his team's 'best efforts' on Ridley wasn't absolutely mandatory. The most popular and longly-awaited newcomer (in America) and one that Sakurai has deemed possible to a whole magazine readership of fans, Ridley is a virtual guarantee. At the very least, other than the 'best efforts' quote, there's not a single non-subjective counterpoint against him to serve as a cause for doubt.

Want - 90%
I have barely touched a Metroid game, and yet adore the concept of a fiery purple alien dragon in Smash. That, and he's a pleasure to use in SSB Crusade. I wouldn't not buy the game without him, but I'd have great difficulty not feeling a gaping hole on the roster where he should be.

Isaac Prediction - 54.5%
I think he'll be evenly split between people who think 'it's his chance' vs. 'he had his chance.'

Nominate:
K. Rool x4
Little Mac x1

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Ridley Liklelihood: 85%
Ridley is one of the most populare characters at the moment, and that he has been ever since fans saw him in Melee Introduction and got sad to find out he was not playable. Other issues has been told that he is too big/or too hard to figure a moveset...
But something similar was said about Animal Crossing character, and now Villager is confirmed. So Huge chances for Ridley being a playable in the upcoming version. So I place 85%

Want - 90%
I never played any Metroid games in the past, but I have gathered information about characters I like, which for one is Ridley, and for Smash, I think Ridley would fit perfectly as the second Metroid rep, also being such populare why not let him in? I would love to play as the overgrown Dragon Alien. So 90%

Isaac Prediction: 50%
Knowing that Smash will for the first time be on a hand held console, I see it might open some possibility for hand held series to get their fair shot much higher. But as Golden Sun being an American Game, I don't know how much it will affect the Japanese audience or Masahiro Sakurai's judgjement on this one...

Nominees:

King K.Rool X2
Geno
Samurai Goroh X2

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Ridley
Likelihood: 25%. I feel that I am being generous with that figure, even if it seems extremely low to most people. It's by and large the western audience that is calling for Ridley's debut as a newcomer. Ridley's menacing appearance and devastating attacks will undoubtedly be taken down a few notches with the inclusion of him into the playable roster, should it happen. This would not have to change about Ridley whatsoever if he were to remain a boss as he is (twice) in Brawl. For this reason, and for the sake of consistency with the previous game, the developers are likely to have Ridley retain his "boss" status as that is his true calling. It just seems like improper type casting and a breach of justice to have Ridley play any other role. Not to mention, more work. Even if Ridley is not a playable character, he has been repping Metroid since Melee as a trophy and even more notably in Brawl as a recurring boss (just as he's been a recurring boss in the Metroid series). He needn't become playable in order to rep his franchise. This is a fact which his hype train riders seem to forget.

I don't see why his appearance would be an issue when we got Giga Bowser to play as for Bowser's final smash...
While this is true, the same could be said about almost any character on anybody's roster. I mean, most characters have showed up in Smash at some point in some form or fashion. Just because the character shows up in Smash does not mean that people will not want them playable or think that it does the franchise justice. While a boss role in any game is generally important, there is no such role as important as the playable character role. Even with Ridley as a boss in Smash being a nice touch, the context make his appearance seem kinda arbitrary as he isn't nearly as important in Smash as he is in Metroid with the diverse melding of worlds and he isn't nor very likely to ever be a central antagonist. While Ridley does fit as a boss role quite well, it's not that much of a stretch to imagine him as a playable character. Heck, even Sakurai admitted he could have made it work.

Marcusjll

Smash Cadet
Ridley

Likelihood - 50%

It really could go either way - considering there are purportedly 6 newcomers announced, I doubt they can add much more characters due to the 3DS limitations (providing there aren't no cuts), and considering we think characters like Mewtwo and Palutena are a given... it's a hard one.

Want - 100%

Definitely my most wanted alongside Palutena!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ridley Likelihood: 85%
He doesn't have all that much against him and he one of the few "all-stars" left. Furthermore, Sakurai has stated that it is possible and he is the only newcomer he had commented on after Brawl and before the Smash 4 trailer. Ridley is on his mind and he is probably aware of the demand.

Want: 100%: Most wanted character. By far.

Isaac: Prediction: 70.50%: He's got a good shot but, not a big one.

Pokemon Trainer x3
King K.Rool
Mewtwo

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I don't see why his appearance would be an issue when we got Giga Bowser to play as for Bowser's final smash...
While this is true, the same could be said about almost any character on anybody's roster. I mean, most characters have showed up in Smash at some point in some form or fashion. Just because the character shows up in Smash does not mean that people will not want them playable or think that it does the franchise justice. While a boss role in any game is generally important, there is no such role as important as the playable character role. Even with Ridley as a boss in Smash being a nice touch, the context make his appearance seem kinda arbitrary as he isn't nearly as important in Smash as he is in Metroid with the diverse melding of worlds and he isn't nor very likely to ever be a central antagonist. While Ridley does fit as a boss role quite well, it's not that much of a stretch to imagine him as a playable character. Heck, even Sakurai admitted he could have made it work.
Giga Bowser is an absurd comparison because that is a very temporary form since it's a final smash, which means it's intentionally overpowered. You might as well have said that Ridley is already a massive boss in SSBB so therefore programming Ridley in SSB4 shouldn't be an issue. It's just an asinine statement. The whole story mode's bosses were a mish-mash of bosses from other games so of course Ridley was an arbitrary fit. The whole story mode is arbitrary. He'd be even more arbitrary as a playable character. The only central antagonist was Tabuu, so what's your point? Sakurai said that implementing Ridley would be "pretty impossible" and laughed at the idea, but Ridley supporters tend to drastically misconstrue his words.
I don't want this to be a thread for debating the merits of a prospective character for SSB4. I've already done that a week or so back. I'm not the only one who feels this way, so just accept it and let it be.

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
RIDLEY
LIKELIHOOD: 67%
WANT: 70%
He has fan demand, Metroid needs more characters and is an interesting character overall. Still, his chances are greatly exaggerated imo.
Ridley would be a great addition to the roster but I wouldn't mind it if he doesn't make it.

iSAAC
PREDICTION: 53%
His chances are also exaggerated among his fans, except he is way less popular compared to Ridley.

Nominations:
Lucas x2
Masked Man/Claus x3

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Giga Bowser is an absurd comparison because that is a very temporary form since it's a final smash, which means it's intentionally overpowered. You might as well have said that Ridley is already a massive boss in SSBB so therefore programming Ridley in SSB4 shouldn't be an issue. It's just an asinine statement. The whole story mode's bosses were a mish-mash of bosses from other games so of course Ridley was an arbitrary fit. The whole story mode is arbitrary. He'd be even more arbitrary as a playable character. The only central antagonist was Tabuu, so what's your point? Sakurai said that implementing Ridley would be "pretty impossible" and laughed at the idea, but Ridley supporters tend to drastically misconstrue his words.
I don't want this to be a thread for debating the merits of a prospective character for SSB4. I've already done that a week or so back. I'm not the only one who feels this way, so just accept it and let it be.
Firstly, the comparison wasn't that of size but one of menacing appearances. Your point was that Ridley was too menacing for a playable character role. Giga Bowser is a playable character, final smash or not. If sakurai thought in that manner he would not have made that his final smash. Secondly, while SSE wasn't exactly a thoroughly coherent story, it was obvious that Bowser, Ganondorf, Wario and Dedede did serve as story driving antagonist while Tabuu was the primary one. You can't say that ridley served any role other than just being boss characters randomly implemented into the story. And the true asinine statement here is that if he was playable that he'd be more arbitrary. All playable characters in SSE have their spotlight in EVERY ASPECT OF THE GAME, therefore they are not arbirary while Ridley was limited to the story mode.

Sakurai said that would be impossible and then backtracked and said maybe he could have made it work. That cancels out the first part of his statement in case you didn't realize.

Lastly...
" Debates are encouraged on Rate Their Chances as after all, discussion on characters occur all the time, but remember that this is just a game."
If you want to end the discussion now then fine but feel free to respond. Your choice.

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
RIDLEY

Chances: 75%

I'd like to think Ridley has a great shot due to popularity alone. He has plenty of fan support behind him, and is the most recognizable character in the Metroid series outside of Samus and possibly Mother Brain. If Metroid gets another rep, I'd like to think Ridley has the best shot among all other candidates.

The few things I see working against him are the fact he was a massive boss in Brawl, but I'm not sure if continuity issues are a big deal in this series considering Palutena was part of Pit's Final Smash and she seems to have a ton of support behind her. Shrinking him down might be an issue, but if they shrank him down to a similar size to the Melee trailer I think it could be done. As others have mentioned, Ridley was planned as an AT but scrapped at the end. That could both help and hurt him. It could mean that they scrapped him since he was already a boss, and possibly decided to save him for future editions of the game. It could also mean that they just couldn't find a way to properly fit him onto the screen or incorporate him into the game environment, which would be a serious negative for him.

I've been a fan of Ridley since the pre-Brawl days and am still holding out hope for him. My optimism has waned over the years, but I'd love to se him in the game. He was a fun boss for sure, but I'd still love to actually play as him.

Isaac: 60%. I really don't have much faith in Isaac getting in, but I know he has a decent amount of support on here, and figure that alone could drive up his chances (in the eyes of Smash fans that is). I'd put his real chances much lower.

Nominations: Takamaru x 3, Ray (Custom Robo) x 2

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Firstly, the comparison wasn't that of size but one of menacing appearances. Your point was that Ridley was too menacing for a playable character role. Giga Bowser is a playable character, final smash or not. If sakurai thought in that manner he would not have made that his final smash. Secondly, while SSE wasn't exactly a thoroughly coherent story, it was obvious that Bowser, Ganondorf, Wario and Dedede did serve as story driving antagonist while Tabuu was the primary one. You can't say that ridley served any role other than just being boss characters randomly implemented into the story. And the true asinine statement here is that if he was playable that he'd be more arbitrary. All playable characters in SSE have their spotlight in EVERY ASPECT OF THE GAME, therefore they are not arbirary while Ridley was limited to the story mode.

Sakurai said that would be impossible and then backtracked and said maybe he could have made it work. That cancels out the first part of his statement in case you didn't realize.

Lastly...
" Debates are encouraged on Rate Their Chances as after all, discussion on characters occur all the time, but remember that this is just a game."
If you want to end the discussion now then fine but feel free to respond. Your choice.
Giga Bowser isn't the normal size for Bowser. Bowser only turns gigantic in some Mario games and for Melee and Brawl. Bowser's normal size is like that of a grizzly bear, which Smash Bros' bowser is more or less true to. So no, your comparison doesn't add up. Bowser is not the same.
Again, Ridley could be included in the next character roster but a strong argument would have to be made as to why he'd serve a better role in that way than as a boss character which he served well as already in Brawl. Sakurai's statement made it known that it is possible, but improbable. That much is for certain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom