• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pro High Gravity mode matches here (AWESOME COMBOS)!!

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
This is pretty funny.

I'm all for playing how you want, that's what customizable settings are for.

The people who think that high gravity has a chance at becoming the standard in Brawl competitive play is where the problem is.

Each smash game has made us adapt to it's own unique traits.
Did we make slow mode melee the standard because normal melee was faster then ssb? No.
Then why would we make Brawl standard high gravity?

If you don't like the pace of Brawl, fine go ahead and play high gravity, but don't expect skill in Brawl to be measured by who does best in high gravity mode. It'll be measured under the normal gravity settings.
Just like Melee was.

ArgentStew

Smash Lord
I'm sorry, but I have to question people who support the slowing or halting of the evolution of this or any metagame... Melee is still there... :(

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
I've been seriously considering becoming a tournament-goer for Brawl.

But if the few people who want High Gravity mode as the standard get their wish... then I'm just not going to. I don't really care, I'm just not going to participate in the community if they decide to make a special mode the standard.

As long as it's not forced as a tournament standard, then whatever, do what you want with it. If you play too much in High Gravity you probably won't be up to snuff in normal gravity anyway.

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
I've been seriously considering becoming a tournament-goer for Brawl.

But if the few people who want High Gravity mode as the standard get their wish... then I'm just not going to. I don't really care, I'm just not going to participate in the community if they decide to make a special mode the standard.

As long as it's not forced as a tournament standard, then whatever, do what you want with it. If you play too much in High Gravity you probably won't be up to snuff in normal gravity anyway.
i'm sorry but this just plain isn't how competitive play is going to happen
^This.

You have nothing to worry about. A special mode will not be the standard for competitive play.

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
^This.

You have nothing to worry about. A special mode will not be the standard for competitive play.
Good. Cause I was really looking forward to playing with the regular Brawl physics. I had seen a lot of chatter about high gravity, but hadn't really seen any highly respected players Melee players mentioning things about it. (And I didn't read this entire thread.)

Thanks.

TheKoopaBros.

Smash Journeyman
The only people who dislike high gravity mode are the smashers who were noobs in melee.
Its not about disliking high gravity, its that we don't high gravity to be used in a competitive standard instead of playing the game with the physics that is intended.

If you want to play it go right ahead, it doesn't bother me.

That's a pretty shallow assumption to make, by the way.

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
The only people who dislike high gravity mode are the smashers who were noobs in melee.
Lol, wut?

That's exactly the mentality that makes people hate this high gravity mode talk.

Some people are just looking forward to playing a totally new game. (Playing Melee for 6-7 years get's old. And I have been playing it since release. Even if I wasn't a tournament player.)

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
Nobody even said they disliked Heavy Brawl. Especially since almost... none of the people here have really played it.

But it is not going to be the competitive standard no matter what.

Also, Heavy Brawl will never be exactly like Melee. In all honesty, you're being a noob by thinking Heavy Brawl is the only way to competitively play. They only way you feel that way is because you wasted 6 years training in a game only to get a NEW GAME that doesn't play like the last game.

And people are complaining about clone characters, when they want the game to play exactly the same as the last one? As in, no evolution? That's worse than clone characters! What the hell? Seriously.

And if you think Brawl is a step backwards, then you clearly don't understand anything about what you're playing.

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
:urg:

I was going to puke or something like that.

That was the most elitist post I have seen in years, i think i'm gonna die from this...

LunaEqualsLuna

Smash Apprentice
Sheermadness is an idiot who shouldn't even be taken seriously.
Let him have fun playing high gravity on his own or with CPU's.

\endthread

Peaquak

Smash Rookie
why didn't we play melee in lightning fast mode if we had huge erections for speed?

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Whatever, call me an elitist if you like. But its pritty ridiculous that people who have never even played competitive smash are telling everyone what will and wont happen for competitive brawl. If smash were only meant to be played one way then competitive melee would have been with medium items and friendly fire off. The fact is that 1 individual smasher doesn't get to make the rules, so saying that "high gravity competitive brawl will never happen" is just as big of a generalization that I made. Just because you don't wanna play competitive high gravity mode doesn't mean others don't or wont.

Krylon

Smash Rookie
Clearly, luck is a part of the game because the developers put items in by default. If we want to play exactly how the developers meant us to play, we should play tournaments with everything by default because that's how the game is MEANT to be played. If you don't get as lucky as someone else, too bad, because it's a part of the game.

Okay now, seriously, I've been on tons of different Brawl forums but this thread takes the cake. Most of us probably haven't even played Brawl yet and even those who have can't make judgment on a community decision. It doesn't seem fathomable that high gravity mode would become standard but I'm sure a huge wave of Melee players initially thought, "Hey, why aren't we playing with items? Items take skill, require strategy, and despite the luck involved, are part of the game!" Obviously, the decision was made over time that items should be off despite how dramatically that changes the game. Let's stop being hypocritical for a second and consider that Brawl is Brawl and changing one mode won't turn it into Melee, and it may actually end up being quite accepted.

The same argument goes the other way, because Brawl will never be Melee no matter how many settings you change, so give up on it. Everyone should give everything a chance, as impossible and idealistic as that sounds. Let's wait a considerable amount of time after everyone has the game in their hands before we make unjustified decisions.

Peaquak

Smash Rookie
Whatever, call me an elitist if you like. But its pritty ridiculous that people who have never even played competitive smash are telling everyone what will and wont happen for competitive brawl. If smash were only meant to be played one way then competitive melee would have been with medium items and friendly fire off. The fact is that 1 individual smasher doesn't get to make the rules, so saying that "high gravity competitive brawl will never happen" is just as big of a generalization that I made. Just because you don't wanna play competitive high gravity mode doesn't mean others don't or wont.
I think the point isn't that they hate the idea of high gravity but more so that there hasn't been many tournies as of yet. The banning of stages didn't happen the day (or month b4 in this example)melee came out. The tournies adapted to what was the best after many many events and matches.

That... and no matter what you say you are going to get flamed.... welcome to the internet.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
No one is saying we should designate high gravity as the only means of competitive brawl from the start. We'll give regular brawl its fair chance. However there is a very real chance that high gravity brawl is better suited for competitive play, and if it is, we should give it a chance. But unfortunately a lot of people only see it as "melee 2.0" and get defensive about the possibilty of it being a better competitive game.

Also, I believe I made my point perfectly here:

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
No one is saying we should designate high gravity as the only means of competitive brawl from the start. We'll give regular brawl its fair chance. However there is a very real chance that high gravity brawl is better suited for competitive play, and if it is, we should give it a chance. But unfortunately a lot of people only see it as "melee 2.0" and get defensive about the possibilty of it being a better competitive game.

Also, I believe I made my point perfectly here:

I play smash competitively. So does Gimpy. So do an assload of other people in here. You're just assuming that most people don't. Honestly, as fun as it looks, it'd be stupid to use high gravity mode in tournies. And I know you said this should only be done once normal Brawl is given a chance, but seriously, if people want the same kind of fighting as Melee, then why not just play Melee? Brawl is a different game. There's no reason for tournaments in Brawl to be like tournaments in Melee.

Adjust people. It's not that tough.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
This is SnobSmashBoards. I'm sure most of us has played one match of Smash competitive style.

Besides, this will probably mean that there will be two types of competitivie styles.

Grodus5

Smash Rookie
Wow, Ike destoryed Falcon for a little while...
And for those saying "Its not Melee 2.0!" WTF? Did he every say it was? When is High grav a bad thing? Its just a new idea. Are you saying new ideas like SSE shouldn't be implemented?

SheerMadness

Smash Master
No matter how many settings or modes you change brawl will never be melee. High gravity mode is not melee and never will be. People need to stop acting like High gravity brawl is melee 2.0 because its not. I could go in depth as to why its nothing like melee and will if you want me to.

Kirby M.D.

Smash Journeyman
The High Grav matches looked interesting, in the same way that a Lightning Melee does. It looks to be a fun diversion and an interesting way to play, but not a tourney staple.

Also, SheerMadness is a moron. That is all.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
Wow, Ike destoryed Falcon for a little while...
And for those saying "Its not Melee 2.0!" WTF? Did he every say it was? When is High grav a bad thing? Its just a new idea. Are you saying new ideas like SSE shouldn't be implemented?
By showing us high gravity mode and going "omg, amazing combos," he's basically implying that there is something wrong with Brawl's default system and that this should be looked at and possibly adopted. He's posting it with a very clear goal in mind, just like the kid who posted the "1.1 damage" thread. They're both implying that Brawl should be changed. What do they model their ideas off of? Melee of course, since that's what they've been playing for the last 7 years.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
You're way off. I play melee AND ssb64 at their highest competitive level and I'm better at ssb64 and like it more. So you have no idea what you're talking about when I'm basing my opinions of brawl off melee.

Basically the only argument I'm seeing as to why High Gravity mode shouldn't be given a chance in competitive play is because "brawl is meant to be played like it is". Thats a terrible argument with no valid points.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Here's the problem: All the new***s think that any attempt to change any setting in brawl is because we all want "melee 2.0." No, that isn't the case. It's obvious this is a new game. It's freaking being released 7 years later on a different system under a different name with different modes with different characters with different aesthetics with different gameplay. WE KNOW IT'S A DIFFERENT GAME. I'm sick of hearing that reused argument time and time again.

So I come into this topic, expect to find an actual discussion about heavy brawl, with links to videos of this mode. Instead, I come in here to find "IT'S A NEW GAME IT'S A NEW GAME IT'S A NEW GAME IT'S A NEW GAME IT'S A NEW GAME IT'S A NEW GAME IT'S A NEW GAME!!!!!!!!111!1SHIFTONE!!!!1!!!" We get the freaking point already. All sheermadness wanted was to possibly explore this gametype, to see how viable it is. He never suggested regular brawl wasn't viable, and if he did, he wouldn't have had the grounds to. Then again, no one here except those who have played the game have the grounds to oppose that opinion. None of us have even played brawl yet (besides a few like gimpy, who has probably only been playing regular brawl), so who is anyone here to be pushing their opinions on the subject onto anyone else? If you have something to CONTRIBUTE to the topic, post, but otherwise you're just taking up space. We had the original high grav thread for complaining. It would've been nice if this thread were for some actual discussion about the mode itself, instead of everyone and their mother criticizing it before ever playing it.

Anyway, I think this will be an interesting mode, and I'd like to see more gameplay footage of it, as much like regular brawl, this is looking to be a lot of fun as well. It might be viable for competition. It might not. Regardless of its viability, regular brawl will probably be just as viable if not more so than this mode. Does that mean we shouldn't give high grav brawl a chance? No. It simply means both need to be tested. If we hadn't changed melee from the way it was straight out of the box the game never would have thrived the way it did. This may be a more severe change, but that simply means it will need more testing. People who think it's their job to say that "brawl isn't melee 2.0" on any thread that is about changing the gameplay need to just quit. Nothing constructive comes out of it, and all it does is spam up the boards. This thread should've never even been needed, but all you idiots felt the need to spam the first high grav thread into oblivion, and have apparently done a very good job of doing it here, too. I've noticed most respected players stay out of this thread, or just leave a short note. Why? Because this isn't a topic really worth arguing, since it's impossible to win. Both sides have their opinions, and until we actually play the game, it will be nigh impossible to change them. I can see this becoming, at the least, a sidegame to regular brawl. The mode holds promise, but no where in anyone's post does it say that regular brawl doesn't hold promise. So how about we all just cool it and actually discuss the topic?

sonic smash down

Smash Lord
now thats a nice long one that was actually worth reading. what im saying is it wont be the main course and everyone knows it. i would say we could at least give it a chance to be like a side competition gameplay but it will be no where near the the actual tournments that count for ranks. thats all im saying other then that it looks sorta fun

and if anyone would like to share their vids. just go ahead. i myself though will be training the actual gameplay though. but if some people would like to do that i say y not just not for ranks nationally.

Blu-ninja

Smash Journeyman
hey complainers,
get out of your mothers basement and play at a smashfest once in a while.

then post.

high gravity?

looks interesting.
fun alternative,

but you guys have to remember that its an alternate mode dont neglect brawls main physics and versus mode.

Smilez

Smash Journeyman
Look at the title of this thread "Pro High Gravity mode matches here (AWESOME COMBOS)!!" I honestly entered this thread b/c I thought you had actually put up some more vids...I come to find thats its the same 2 videos. Neither of them are Pro, and I've seen better combos in Standard gravity Brawl. What was the point of changing the title of the thread???

I honestly think you should have just asked for people to upload High Gravity matches. Period. Instead of adding a statement like "High Gravity mode has awesome combo potential" which inherently states that standard gravity doesn't or not as much. Thats why you're getting flamed so hard. Your coming off like a Melee Fanboy. Don't get me wrong I love Melee & I hated about 75% of the changes and omissions from Melee to Brawl. But its not the end of the world I will learn to adapt.

You can say thats not what you meant but that the impression I got, and I'm sure other got that impression also.

Thino

Smash Master
Competitive Brawl will evolve in what most people want it to be. those flaming TC are just worried for nothing lol

Replacement100

Smash Apprentice
It looks really boring. Really. Really boring.
Maybe I've had enough of Melee-style matches, but I find it hard to believe that anyone likes this mode.

blerb

Smash Journeyman
hey complainers,
get out of your mothers basement and play at a smashfest once in a while.

then post.

high gravity?

looks interesting.
fun alternative,

but you guys have to remember that its an alternate mode dont neglect brawls main physics and versus mode.
nice job being a prejudice idiot. most of us are in high school. we're sorry you like to spend your 20's playing video games and not enjoying life.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I still havent heard any valid arguments. Everyone is just saying "high gravity mode has no chance at ever becomming competitive" and then not backing that up with any valid points. Does anyone wanna come up with argument against my points or just keep telling me that high gravity mode will never become competitive and not tell me why?

Atleast come up some valid points to your opinion before you post/flame here.

Top Bottom