• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pro High Gravity mode matches here (AWESOME COMBOS)!!

Kio Iranez

Smash Ace
You know, if you think about it, playing in a slower, but smarter way would attract a lot more people to Smash, increasing the amount of play it gets. A lot of places have dead communities because Melee is so intimidating to get into now. In general, people would have more fun with more competition. HG mode would probably lessen the amount of players that play now because it is basically a worse Melee, in terms of gameplay.

lookatthatbaconsizzle

Smash Journeyman
i'm sorry but this just plain isn't how competitive play is going to happen
You know, if you think about it, playing in a slower, but smarter way would attract a lot more people to Smash, increasing the amount of play it gets. A lot of places have dead communities because Melee is so intimidating to get into now. In general, people would have more fun with more competition. HG mode would probably lessen the amount of players that play now because it is basically a worse Melee, in terms of gameplay.
Thank you and Thank you.

QTP

The "Sonic" of Diddy Kong
i'm sorry but this just plain isn't how competitive play is going to happen
oh i know, i agree with you, but i would love to have a tourney ran like that.

it would be very interesting.

mix things up a bit.

-QTP

blerb

Smash Journeyman
well seeing how that game-mode should be named "Melee pros play here", I have no interest in it. might try it but Brawl isn't Melee.. so enjoy your heavy gravity.

SirPainsalot

Smash Apprentice
Ehhh. High gravity in Brawl would make it seem like Melee 2.0. But if some people are more comfortable with it, then why not? I just HOPE people won't have more tourneys using high gravity than tourneys in regular Brawl. That would be a shame.

sonic smash down

Smash Lord
whats the point of doing stuff like this we're moving on to a new game people. might as well get used to the brawl gameplay not another melee. its alot more fun and challenging if you change your gameplay from melee to brawl anyways get used to it peeps.

no tourney is going to be run though a melee ver. 2.0 if you want to play melee then go play the real melee

SheerMadness

Smash Master
You guys are ridiculous. And the argument of "play brawl like its meant to be played" is a ******** argument. If that was the case competitive melee would have been with items on medium and team attack off.

Let people play the game how they wanna play it. If competitive players end up liking high gravity mode better than so be it. I for one will definately be hosting a high gravity mode tourney a long with a regular brawl tourney right as it comes out. If FL like high gravity mode more then we'll play high gravity mode.

Kio Iranez

Smash Ace
PLAY WHATEVER WAY YOU WANT, but don't expect to rise in the main competitive scene by play HG mode. I know a group of guys that play 1.5 damage ratio to this day, since Melee came out. Though, none of them are really that great.

Just don't encourage this as the competitive medium.

/thread

Someone lock this.

sonic smash down

Smash Lord
im not saying its not going to be fun and used sometimes im just saying it wont be run by officail tournments. that pros and other competative players used. im mean even im going to use some of those modes when i want someting fun. but just because your going to host a tournment in it doesnt mean that thats going to be the competative aspect in it. the competative aspect will relly on the actuall gameplay of brawl. thats y they didnt use like tiny mode in melee for competitions

QTP

whats the point of doing stuff like this we're moving on to a new game people. might as well get used to the brawl gameplay not another melee. its alot more fun and challenging if you change your gameplay from melee to brawl anyways get used to it peeps.

no tourney is going to be run though a melee ver. 2.0 if you want to play melee then go play the real melee

yeah, but on another note that would be bad-*** if they decided to make a melee ver. 2.0 for the Wii with online compatibility.

just saying..

i'd be happy.

:)

-QTP

K1T3

Smash Lord
Cool vids. I also like the bowser one if you look at the persons videos. But more heavy mode with other chars would be nice =)

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
hi gravity doesnt make u recover differently. So hi gravuty combos should be jsut as easy to get out of as they are in regular gravity

QTP

Do you even have the game?.... :/
if your talking about Melee, your ********.

if your talking about Brawl, i don't feel like spending $30 more for the game one month sooner.

if your talking about Melee ver. 2.0....

you've got to be kidding me..

haha.

-QTP

lookatthatbaconsizzle

Smash Journeyman
if your talking about Melee, your ********.

if your talking about Brawl, i don't feel like spending $30 more for the game one month sooner.

if your talking about Melee ver. 2.0....

you've got to be kidding me..

haha.

-QTP
I meant Brawl. How could you make judgings about it without playing it? All I've seen (and heard) from people who have imported/pirated it is positive. You've never played it and are arguing. I'm just confused.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
hi gravity doesnt make u recover differently. So hi gravuty combos should be jsut as easy to get out of as they are in regular gravity
The reason that they get out in regular gravity is that they go to far. The moves have enough stun to link together in close proximity, but you take too much time chasing them down.

QTP

I meant Brawl. How could you make judgings about it without playing it? All I've seen (and heard) from people who have imported/pirated it is positive. You've never played it and are arguing. I'm just confused.

what are you talking about?!

just like you, i've just seen and heard from people and i'm putting in my two cents.

sorry for speaking my own opinion on it. and i was just hypothetically talking about the Melee ver.2.0. since i love playing melee competitively.

so what are you talking about??

-QTP

lookatthatbaconsizzle

Smash Journeyman
what are you talking about?!

just like you, i've just seen and heard from people and i'm putting in my two cents.

sorry for speaking my own opinion on it. and i was just hypothetically talking about the Melee ver.2.0. since i love playing melee competitively.

so what are you talking about??

-QTP
Don't get so offensive, I was just asking. I try my best not to comment on (the slowness) of Brawl. Since everything I have heard about it is (basically... SSE is supposedly lacking) good, I try not to draw anything out of it I don't find positive. It helps keep my anticipation up! :)

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I can relate to Gimpy, spindash, and Kio in this thread.

Really, this entire "High Gravity in Tournaments" phase is starting to get a little...irritating.

Play however you want, but Brawl definately will NOT be played in High Gravity in Competitions.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Play however you want, but Brawl definately will NOT be played in High Gravity in Competitions.
Who are you or anyone else to say that? It's irritating that a select few are trying to speak for the whole community. Just because you don't want high gravity mode in the competitive scene doesn't mean everyone else agrees with you. People can play brawl however they like. If more competitive players end up liking high gravity mode more than regular then deal with it.

orintemple

Smash Lord
This high gravity looks cool and the battles look interesting but I really hope this doesn't become the norm for Brawl just because it makes it more like Melee, that would be incredibly disappointing.

500 Posts :)

spindash

Smash Ace
Who are you or anyone else to say that? It's irritating that a select few are trying to speak for the whole community. Just because you don't want high gravity mode in the competitive scene doesn't mean everyone else agrees with you. People can play brawl however they like. If more competitive players end up liking high gravity mode more than regular then deal with it.
I knew this thread was to advertise a new style of tourney gameplay. :p

I don't speak for everyone here, and I don't wish to. But I've got an idea for you. Unfortunately for you and your hopes on High Gravity, the probability of it being the new rules for official competitive gameplay is zilch. You're on a crusade against the odds, buddy. Let me tell you that. But an idea just hit me.

You seem so hellbent on the High Gravity setting, which is fine. So why not let it be apart of tournaments? As an EXTRA. At Melee's End in Calgary, Alberta, Canada? We had multiple different tournaments lined up. The only one we did not manage to complete or begin was the Low Tier tournament.

Let standard mode be the primary gameplay aspect for singles & doubles, but perhaps allow a High Gravity tournament on board as a second fiddle tournament for some places.

You may not even get that; but feel free to host some tournaments of your own outside of the official scene, nobody's stopping you. But there's an idea at least.

High Gravity tournaments in order to allow a quicker style of gameplay/melee-esque fighting, if you REALLY work for it, could be special condition tournaments at best as the primary aspect of Brawl is what should and will likely be the mainstream of competitive gameplay.

Mama

Smash Ace
Hm well I don't care if its been stated over and over again but Brawl simply isn't Melee. If the reason behind wanting to play on high gravity mode is to have a Melee feel then it fails plain and simple.

Brawls bringing different stuff to the table so regular will be more than fine for me. I'll build my strategies and play style around something I know will more than most likely be the competition standard (honestly don't see high gravity mode being the norm) so I wont waste my time on this mode...

SheerMadness

Smash Master
LOL spindash you act as if competitive brawl is set in stone. Competitive brawl is what the community makes of it. If more people like high gravity brawl than regular brawl theres nothing you can do about it. Ninety five % of the people who have posted have probably never even played competitive smash yet they're acting as if they're the voice of competitive smash.

Competitive smash will be whatever the competitive players like better, its that simple. The noobs who have never been to competitive tourneys have no say.

Noypi_GjD

Smash Journeyman
"If the reason behind wanting to play on high gravity mode is to have a Melee feel then it fails plain and simple."

There is nothing wrong with experimenting different game play potentials by altering the game's physics.
Playing Brawl with High Gravity, or 1.1 damage = still playing Brawl.
Apparently, competitive level smash will alter small changes just to make the game more deep, we will play in 'fair'-neutral stages, 1v1, no items. If (emphasis on 'if') gravity/damage ratio will make the game slightly more interesting, than I see nothing wrong with experimenting with it. I have seen a lot of regular melee-standard (1v1, fair stage, no items) battles that look amazing, but we have to keep an open mind and experiment a little.

trademark0013

Smash Champion
this guy basically us told us all to go play tekken

melee isnt intimidating. theres jus a LOT that ppl have to catch up on and most arent willin to do that, ESPECIALLY with a new game coming out. ppl figured "i'll jus play that since there are no advanced techs i have to practice"

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Noypi makes a perfect point. The competitive brawl scene will make any changes needed in order to produce physics that will make the game as deep as possible.

Arteen

Smash Lord
Noypi makes a perfect point. The competitive brawl scene will make any changes needed in order to produce physics that will make the game as deep as possible.
If you start changing settings so soon, you're not going to discover any depth with regular gravity.

Noypi_GjD

Smash Journeyman
If you start changing settings so soon, you're not going to discover any depth with regular gravity.
Well, I'm sure that most of the new techniques discovered can still be used and new AT's found even on high gravity. I guess we will have to wait until it hits the states until we can truly know if its good or not. The thing that causes me to ponder is that a lot of aerials are said to have zero to quick lag, thus there would be a lot of SHFFL-like gameplay.

As a puff player. I HATE fighting other floating characters, so high gravity looks like it might have potential for ground brawlers (MetaKnight's gliding is sick >.>)

Top Bottom