• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pro High Gravity mode matches here (AWESOME COMBOS)!!

Agent 1337

Smash Apprentice
Captain Flacon
I laughed.

All joking aside, I sure hope that this doesn't become the new standard. I'm terrible at button mashing, and although there'd still be tournaments that still used regular Brawl, it'd just feel weird to be jumping so low. It'd be like shorthopping all the time.

Rsflone

Smash Cadet
if you want to play melee why not...go play melee? well because i want to play melee sonic but OMG sonic isnt in melee!
as for me personally brawl owns, F*** heavy mode or w/e but if thats what they want to let them do it thats almost as low as telling them there favorite character sucks because its DK or Jiggs or(u get my point)
basically if u dont like it stop hating on them for having there own opinion and leave the thread its simply really watch ill go first...

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^I wanna play in it! It looks awesome! It looks almost as awesome as the normal mode. I'd say this was better, but I did see some pretty amazing defualt brawls too. Do you think we can have both?

fums63

Smash Apprentice
captain flacon vs. captain falcon? cool.
and will anyone use low gravity?

limitbreak

Smash Ace
This is amazing. It almost seems like Sakurai added this just to please melee fanatics. I think Ill be playing brawl with this style.

courte

Smash Lord
ok... umm idc but it's sprta of odd seeing captain falcon since the knee was so nerfed... feels like a drunken uncle who won't go away--or making weird poses while screaming the word falcon before everything he does

*one of foot, tugging his chin hairs* FALCON PISS!!

S2

Smash Lord
Somehow I doubt high-gravity mode will catch on at tournaments.

The simple fact that your playing a special mode and not the actual game kind of undermines getting good at the game.

People will never agree over whether high-grav or regular mode is better, by default people are going to want to play the game regularly.

Plus do you know how much more that would split the userbase? If you get good at the game you shouldn't have to relearn in high-grav mode just to compete at tournaments.

ValiantVernon

Smash Journeyman
id mind people liking this style but for Brawl tourneys play Brawl =) but it is a good point .
if i want that ill play melee cause its better in my opinion at least for that

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
This is too heavy to replace try to be Melee 1.5. I say we adapt to normal gravity or just not stop playing Melee :/

Cranky Kong

Smash Rookie
We're entitled to play high-gravity mode because the mode was implemented into the game to suit other people's preferences. Why the hell are people assuming we want a Melee 2.0, some of us just like the reduced floatiness and such. People are already telling other people how to play?

SeriousWB

Smash Apprentice
This new topic title is funneh because HugS' post is on the same page ^^

spindash

Smash Ace
this topic is really really frustrating
I hear you there. -_-; It's better I don't spam and just write, "f*ck high gravity" like I always do, but this is getting ridiculous. Even if people were finding High Gravity to be faster then the standard mode to give us more of a Melee feel, after watching that Captain Falcon video, it was fun and all, but I've come to realize that at times? Perhaps it becomes TOO fast.

Did you notice that C.Falcon's fast fall rate was a lot more drastic then it was in Melee? The only reason why a quicker pace was welcomed in Melee was BECAUSE of the potential to chase at a faster pace with abilities such as L-Cancelling, SHFFL's and other known advanced techniques. Without those, people looking for a quicker game in Brawl are only going to feel and experience what is a hollow and incomplete sensation that Melee provided. In the end, it's not worth it.

Brawl, on the other hand, handles differently for a reason, and for the better in my opinion. High Gravity offers faster gameplay, but without L-Cancelling and other abilities to help string together those pretty little techniques, it's an incomplete Melee 2.0.

Long story short? Down with high gravity. Up with Brawl. Especially since we JUST freaking started. XD

-sonny-

Smash Journeyman
Seriously, he's just saying that it's not as bad as a lot of people thought it was! It's not even trying to make it "Melee 2.0" (god I hate that phrase), he's just saying that for SOME PEOPLE (and NO I am NOT saying everyone) it's MORE FUN for THEM because it's a lot easier to do combos which is important to them.

I know I'm just going to get screamed at now as well but I don't really care.

matthewmilad

Smash Journeyman
hmmm

I wonder if we could get 2 different meta games going? Maybe we could pick up high grav in another 6 years or so, lol. Just in case no Brawl sequel.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
*sigh*

I wonder what people in the Smash Back Room think. I'm not sure what Gimpyfish means when he says this thread frustrates him.

Foxy

Smash Master
I can't decide what I think about this. I love High Gravity Mode because those videos were amazing compared to everything else we've seen, and all that was done without Melee AT's. Throw in AT's in Brawl into that pace years in the future and we'll have real competition.

On the other hand, it seems stupid to compete in a seperate mode that mirrors the prequel.

lookatthatbaconsizzle

Smash Journeyman
With so many people looking into this, it makes me wonder if you guys are unhappy with the core mechanics of Brawl. Which is sad.

cultofrubik

Smash Journeyman
I mean, it's doubtful that majority competitive play will use high-gravity mode, but that doesn't mean we can't have some fun with it.

Didn't you guys try Giant Melee a few times?

Modes like Sudden Death, Lightning, and Slow-melee are freaking fun, regardless of whether it's competitive worthy or not.

spindash

Smash Ace
Seriously, he's just saying that it's not as bad as a lot of people thought it was! It's not even trying to make it "Melee 2.0" (god I hate that phrase), he's just saying that for SOME PEOPLE (and NO I am NOT saying everyone) it's MORE FUN for THEM because it's a lot easier to do combos which is important to them.

I know I'm just going to get screamed at now as well but I don't really care.
It may be more fun for them, and people can fight the accusations all they want to, but they would jump through a hoop in order to get that quicker pace into the mainstream competitive scene. They're advertising and proposing the new idea (go ahead, I like new ideas, but not when they've been constantly presented and denied by the general scene in the first place), in hopes that people WILL pick up on High Gravity as the true way to fight in Brawl just to get that feel of speed back.

I'll likely get flamed, sporked, beheaded, etc. for this and I'm sorry if I sound like I'm coming off as some kinda jacka*s, but the way I see it, more fun for them or not, the hints are there in what they want to happen with that mode.

lookatthatbaconsizzle

Smash Journeyman
It may be more fun for them, and people can fight the accusations all they want to, but they would jump through a hoop in order to get that quicker pace into the mainstream competitive scene. They're advertising and proposing the new idea (go ahead, I like new ideas, but not when they've been constantly presented and denied by the general scene in the first place), in hopes that people WILL pick up on High Gravity as the true way to fight in Brawl just to get that feel of speed back.

I'll likely get flamed, sporked, beheaded, etc. for this and I'm sorry if I sound like I'm coming off as some kinda jacka*s, but the way I see it, more fun for them or not, the hints are there in what they want to happen with that mode.
Maybe you should just go back and turn on Melee and play on Slo-Mo with .5 damage ratio? That will give you more of a feel for Brawl, right?

Seriously guys.... just play the game the way it's meant to be played.... ANY WAY YOU WANT!!!
But when it comes to the competitive scene, I don't want to hear any of this High Grav bull.

spindash

Smash Ace
Maybe you should just go back and turn on Melee and play on Slo-Mo with .5 damage ratio? That will give you more of a feel for Brawl, right?

Seriously guys.... just play the game the way it's meant to be played.... ANY WAY YOU WANT!!!
But when it comes to the competitive scene, I don't want to hear any of this High Grav bull.
Anyone's allowed to play anyway they want, of course. And there's no need to place that last remark in spoilers. I agree 100%; play however you want casually, but let's leave the tournament scene to Brawl how it's meant to be played.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
The vids look badass, but I don't want to have to learn to play two different modes just to be able to play competitively.

As fun as it looks, I hope it doesn't become the tournament standard.

lookatthatbaconsizzle

Smash Journeyman
Anyone's allowed to play anyway they want, of course. And there's no need to place that last remark in spoilers. I agree 100%; play however you want casually, but let's leave the tournament scene to Brawl how it's meant to be played.
Thanks! :)
10 chars!

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
i'm saying that high gravity mode is a huge huge waste of time, it is not how anyone competitive is going to be playing, its how people who cant accept that brawl is a new game play. get over it, brawl is not the same game.

Heavyarms2050

Smash Ace
i'm saying that high gravity mode is a huge huge waste of time, it is not how anyone competitive is going to be playing, its how people who cant accept that brawl is a new game play. get over it, brawl is not the same game.
or don't accept and they could continue play melee. This tread is indeed getting frustrating

lookatthatbaconsizzle

Smash Journeyman
I say let them play like that, then watch them suffer at tourney's when gravity mode isn't turned on. It would be funny! :D

QTP

The "Sonic" of Diddy Kong

Sorry to disagree Gimpyfish, but i do disagree.

i think this mode is amazing and should be played competitivly. so much more fast-paced and quick.

doesn't look soooo slow.

nice vids guys.

-QTP

Top Bottom