• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pro High Gravity mode matches here (AWESOME COMBOS)!!

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Fine then. It'll split the competitive scene into 2.

Not only that, but since some people like high gravity because of the comboes. There's a 99% chance that they like it because they played Melee for 7 years. Thus, that's why people are shouting "Brawl is not Melee 2.0"

HOWEVER, let's say that some guy who never played Melee or the 64 version, played Brawl and liked high gravity mode better:

THEN it will be a better reason to consider it. Since he's obviously not gonna have ANY bias towards it.

Blu-ninja

Smash Journeyman
nice job being a prejudice idiot. most of us are in high school. we're sorry you like to spend your 20's playing video games and not enjoying life.
funny how you assume im using a serious tone.

lighten up.

enjoy life

and do research before posting.
please.

20's?

i love you man.

on topic,

id love an alternative mode like this, just to relive the old melee days....

EDIT: yeah green kirby, thats what i mean!

:laugh:

Krimtcw

Smash Rookie
Well you know something, the engine of a game is generally built around and tested multiple times on its most played format... Regular brawl is that format. Changing the gravity on it messes with it, thus messing with the intended mode.

Wasn't this issue of how the heavy characters or the characters like multi jumps falling ridiculously faster issue resolved yet? If not theres the valid point right there that really needed to be pointed out that could basically kill this idea in its tracks.

Thus making the gap of how those certain characters suck more due to recover issues that much more obvious, along with making Tiers more obvious.

Plus this kinda kills one of the selling points of brawl, FIGHTING IN THE AIR, because we all know falling like rocks will so increase that kind of play.

Don't get me wrong, one way or another we are going to have Tiers, I'd just prefer them to be up in the air for a little while instead of knowing right out of the gate that Sheik, Marth, and Fox will be the only ones worth playing in the competitive scene.

I do like the looks of heavy brawl, do understand that I will probably turn it on along with other modes from time to time with friends just to mess around. But when it comes to the Competitive Scene and it being the main event there, I'm just going to make this nice and simple and say no, I don't think it has a place in that area.

However if its just a side thing for the competitive scene then sure why not, just don't expect it to replace normal brawl.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
nice job being a prejudice idiot. most of us are in high school. we're sorry you like to spend your 20's playing video games and not enjoying life.
He's a 15 year old kid living in his mom's basement. He thinks playing with two friends is a smashfest. He's obviously mentally handicapped.

Just leave him alone and feel pity.

Blu-ninja

Smash Journeyman
He's a 15 year old kid living in his mom's basement. He thinks playing with two friends is a smashfest. He's obviously mentally handicapped.

Just leave him alone and feel pity.
sigh...

"its funny how everyone assumes so much"-me for the hundreth time

EDIT:

considering ive just been to my FIRST ONE im pretty sure its dificult to have one with two people.

----------------

@krimtcw

thats another way of looking at it!

really though,
its basically the same way we messed with melee to come up with our...

TECHNIQUES

dun...dun...dun...

webrunner

Smash Apprentice
Wouldn't characters that have near-infinite aerial ability like Metaknight and Pit be extremely overpowered in high-gravity mode, since they still have far more recovery ability than they need, but a character with just a normal Up-B would die easily?

Blu-ninja

Smash Journeyman
Wouldn't characters that have near-infinite aerial ability like Metaknight and Pit be extremely overpowered in high-gravity mode, since they still have far more recovery ability than they need, but a character with just a normal Up-B would die easily?
seems like it.

wont know till we try!

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
sigh...

"its funny how everyone assumes so much"-me for the hundreth time

EDIT:

considering ive just been to my FIRST ONE im pretty sure its dificult to have one with two people.
If you've just been to your first one, you can't post **** like this:

hey complainers,
get out of your mothers basement and play at a smashfest once in a while.

then post.
You being at one smashfest is nothing.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Everybody has been saying that certain characters will do better in high-grav mode. Well if that was the standard, then "low grav" (normal) brawl makes the characters that aren't as good in high-grav mode better. Certain people do not seem to want brawl to be melee 2.0. I completely understand, I just felt that adredaline rush from seeing a faster paced game that requires more mastery than--*I'm going to stop myself now. If I say any more, there's no possible way I won't get flamed*.

This thread is merely showing you the benefits of high-grav mode. No need to flame the Thread Starter.

Personally, I would be very pleased if this became the new standard for brawl. The action moves much faster so the game is less noob friendly. Plus, Captain Falcon can COMBO here! High-grav mode will emphasize skill in combo ability. Normal Brawl seems to be a game of trading hits. To me, it's similar to choosing between mindgames, or combos with mindgames. I'm not saying that you can't combo in normal brawl, just show me a vid where you see Captain Falcon doing just as good as he did in this vid and I'll consider changing my opinions about gravity. Good Samus vids will do fine too. :laugh:

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
Everybody has been saying that certain characters will do better in high-grav mode. Well if that was the standard, then "low grav" (normal) brawl makes the characters that aren't as good in high-grav mode better. Certain people do not seem to want brawl to be melee 2.0. I completely understand, I just felt that adredaline rush from seeing a faster paced game that requires more mastery than--*I'm going to stop myself now. If I say any more, there's no possible way I won't get flamed*.

This thread is merely showing you the benefits of high-grav mode. No need to flame the Thread Starter.

Personally, I would be very pleased if this became the new standard for brawl. The action moves much faster so the game is less noob friendly. Plus, Captain Falcon can COMBO here! High-grav mode will emphasize skill in combo ability. Normal Brawl seems to be a game of trading hits. To me, it's similar to choosing between mindgames, or combos with mindgames. I'm not saying that you can't combo in normal brawl, just show me a vid where you see Captain Falcon doing just as good as he did in this vid and I'll consider changing my opinions about gravity. Good Samus vids will do fine too. :laugh:
There's no way this can become the standard. Smashboards makes up about 5% of the smash players in the world, if that much. Even if it becomes standard here, the rest of the world would play normally.

If there was some way to make it a worldwide standard, then yeah, it might be a good idea, but it won't fly if only smashboards uses this while the rest of the world doesn't.

Gerbil

Smash Champion
I wasn't gonna post in this thread but.......

What community do you play in? Because the community here in GA, we're all in college...... in fact, I can count a max of maybe 5 people in our tourny scene that is in HS..... :/

(I'm not being mean, it's a serious question lol)

SheerMadness

Smash Master
There's no way this can become the standard. Smashboards makes up about 5% of the smash players in the world, if that much. Even if it becomes standard here, the rest of the world would play normally.
Wrong, Smashboards probably makes up about 95% of the competitive smash scene (with Japan probably being the only exception). And it will be the competitive players that will have more say in defining the competitive brawl format than the noobs who don't play competitively. This is what most of you don't seem to understand.

Gerbil

Smash Champion
Wrong, Smashboards probably makes up about 95% of the competitive smash scene (with Japan probably being the only exception). And it will be the competitive players that will have more say in defining the competitive brawl format than the noobs who don't play competitively. This is what most of you don't seem to understand.
Word. Though I do hope we play it on standard Brawl.... I like the change to be honest (even if I havn't played it, it looks amazing.)

Taekmkm

Smash Cadet
Considering another popular fighting game, Guilty Gear, basically has the same option and doesn't use it is something to base it on.

Accent Core's changes are hardly perfect, or even considered balanced compared to Slash or Reload. Both previous versions are available to play modes on Accent Core, because it's the latest version of the game.

On note, the mechanics between Slash and Accent Core makes them different enough. Wall stick combo being the biggest and dust loop comboes all but nil.

retro gamer 6

Smash Journeyman
just drop it. melee's in the past now. if you don't like the gravity for brawl, then play melee. you just won't have online battles and a very balanced game. that sucks for you.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
For the love of god stop posting in my thread if you have no valid points and you're only argument is that "brawl is not melee, go play melee if you dont like brawl".

spindash

Smash Ace

*sigh*

Okay, that does it. I'm done trying to compare this to Melee, but I'm also sick and goddamm tired of you trying to cram a special mode down our throats when the standard format of gameplay is RIGHT there in front of our eyes. The ground combos are not what dominate in Brawl, it is the air combos as they dominate most matches, hence the floaty nature of the game. I've said it time and time again, but without L-Cancelling and the ability to properly SHFFL and with tripping implemented, Brawl on High Gravity will feel like a hollow and imcomplete engine of Melee (I'm not going to say that you want it to play like Melee anymore, since people sh*t a brick when someone does that), but the comparison is there. You'll get an incomplete feeling and on a competitive level, the imbalance between characters will only become WORSE. Is that what you really want? The mainstream competitive scene to house only the use of Fox, Falco, Marth, Sheik, and C.Falcon practically? High Gravity will cause players to fear playing a lower tier because they are properly screwed. And the chance of casual players deciding to play competitively after trying to be forced into High Gravity is impractical.

Everybody sucks at Brawl, casually and competitively. Even IF Brawl is noticed on a tournament level sooner then Melee was, it's impossible to dictate what will happen or if the standard form of gameplay is shallow from the game being out for just nine days. Give it time, and even WITH time, combos are still being implemented and we're seeing a crapload more diversity in who wants to play as who. Slower then Melee, faster then Smash 64, a battle of inbetween, casually and competitively, this is what Super Smash Bros. Brawl is all about.

High Gravity is a gimmick, at best. I'm finished here, because I'm sick and tired of seeing this thread pop up over and over again because of the raging war of "HIGH GRAVITY!" or "NO! PLAY BRAWL NOT MELEE 2.0!"

No, f*ck that, I'm not gonna have that anymore. Screw this. Good day, I've made my point, and f*ck high gravity.

I apologize if I seem aggravated, but I am. I'm out of here.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
I'm not talking about the competitive scene. Notice I said "smash players."

It's rediculous to have two standards for Brawl. Horribly stupid. By the way, what you don't seem to understand is that even competitive players don't want this high gravity bull****. I haven't read all of the posts in this thread, but even Gimpy posted about how stupid it is that people aren't moving on.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
There was another fighting game that used lightning mode instead of the regular mode for tournaments. Forgot the name though >.>

I'll ask my friend when he gets back his aim.

My main issue with this mode: Does it screw up Lucas' and Ness' recoveries?

Frames

DI
Well Sheer, i've seen the videos and to be honest, high grav looks cool. I wouldn't mind trying it out at all, and I can definetely see why you would want this to influence the competitive scene. Characters like Ike, who people said was too slow seem to benefit from this, gaining speed and an easier ability to combo. That being said, I still have some concerns with high gravity mode.

In your first post you mentioned how it seemed like laggy/slow characters don't seem to be nerfed, and from the video of Ike i would agree, but I still think that with some characters, they would definetely have the disadvantage. In particular, I am curious about DeDeDe, who relies on five mid-air jumps to assist in his recovery. I haven't played high grav mode, so I can't say for sure, but I still believe that he would be at a significant disadvantage regardless, while fast characters like Marth would only thrive, which could potentially alienate a portion of the cast. Also, having new settings would confuse people that would show up to an event. Even if you said that it would be a high grav event, people might show up expecting a normal gravity setting nevertheless, which could drive some people away from competitive smash. Finally, it would be much more difficult to train for online matches. As we increase the technical rate at which the game is played, this also increases inherent latency problems. While some wi-fi matches seem to be going well and looking fluid, I can't help but wonder what high gravity mode plus long distances would do to a match.

All in all, I think you make some valid points about high gravity mode, and maybe it will turn out to be successful, but as for now, I feel that there are still inherent flaws that could keep it from really taking off and being popular.

comboking

Smash Master
I like high gravity mode. but regulare Brawl has good combos to. hes not trying to treat it like melee

AerionTOFAST4U

Smash Apprentice
Please, just stop. Take a second to read what you posted. Your embarrassing yourself. The current gravity in Brawl have plenty of potential for combos. The game is just waiting for players to discover techniques that will bring Brawl to another level. Instead of trying to live in the past, put some effort into finding something new. Don't let your conventional thinking lock you inside an invisible box.

If I hurt your feeling........well......."I'm sorry":ohwell:

this guy wins

Trajan

Smash Cadet
Answer me this: why did the developers put in gravity options?

So you could use them.

If somebody wants to play in high gravity, they will, regardless of what anyone else thinks about it.

If they DON'T want to play high gravity, again, they will play the game as they **** well want regardless of how some other party feels about it.

Seriously, if they want to tweak the options to make it "like Melee" they can go right ahead. That's why there are OPTIONS.

Socrata

Smash Rookie
I think some people are blowing this out of proportion. This was just to show what High Gravity mode is like and the TC must think they are interesting. I think that while the normal Brawl tournament scene will deal with normal vs. matches, this could be fun for playing around with or for playing with friends to try something new.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
I think some people are blowing this out of proportion. This was just to show what High Gravity mode is like and the TC must think they are interesting. I think that while the normal Brawl tournament scene will deal with normal vs. matches, this could be fun for playing around with or for playing with friends to try something new.
Brilliant first post, this guy speaks the truth.

As for me, I'm looking forward to playing both modes - it's not like you can't choose whether or not you want to play this mode, no reason to complain.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Spindash you keep saying high gravity will be unbalanced, but how could you possibly know that? At first you said heavy characters will have a huge disadvantage but after seeing Ike own in high gravity mode you've switched your argument to "all the **** characs in melee are going to **** again". You're basically grasping at anything to try and put down high gravity mode just because you don't like it.

Frames, I doubt floaty characters would have their recovery screwed in high gravity mode if heavy characters don't, but who knows. If those kids bring their brawl to the dorm monday we'll try it out.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Please, just stop. Take a second to read what you posted. Your embarrassing yourself. The current gravity in Brawl have plenty of potential for combos. The game is just waiting for players to discover techniques that will bring Brawl to another level. Instead of trying to live in the past, put some effort into finding something new. Don't let your conventional thinking lock you inside an invisible box.

If I hurt your feeling........well......."I'm sorry":ohwell:
You took the words right out of my mouth.

Deft

Smash Cadet
wow that captain falcon match was badass.

don't hate the player hate the game you haters.

ArgentStew

Smash Lord
After reading through some of the posts in this thread, I have to agree with the TC in part... People should play the game how they want to play it... If they want to play it like Melee 2.0, that's fine... I apologize for attacking you, Sheer (though I doubt you or anyone else even read my earlier post) but some of the other people really need to get a clue...

However, this was the wrong name, time, and place for this post...

You definitely named this thread in a way that to a lot of people make this look like a way to set a competitive standard... Perhaps the words "pro" and "(AWESOME COMBOS)" are a bit misleading... And, no, there aren't any "pros" yet... You can't be a pro at a game that's been out in one country for a week no matter what settings you put it on... I'll go as far as to say you can't even be a pro in a game like Melee that's been out for a long time if you specialize in something other than a competitive standard (some games do have different standards)...

As for timing, this game has just gotten off the ground... A lot of people don't want to see videos of gameplay that deviates from "the way this game is supposed to be played", and a lot of other people are going to be angry and flame you for even being half-serious about anything that has to do with making the game more like its predecessor... At least now isn't a good time for it...

Also, there are a lot of competitive players on this board... You should have chosen a less serious message board to post this, and let someone else take the heat for discovering it and posting it here... :p Either that or wait until things have cooled off and become less chaotic... Seriously... :/

That's my perspective on this whole thing... Perhaps what it really boils down to is name your topics well... Thank you... :confused:

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Ya as I predicted it will be like H3...customization will make the game play the way WE want it to. This will probably split the community but we shall see.

If you do not know the story of Halo 3 I'll explain.

When Halo 3 came out the game, according to many, was a lot slower and much of the engine was modified. Recharge speed was altered to be faster, the Melee was changed and became broken and all based on hit points, ( a bug that is now being fixed ), the over shield was charged into one extra bar of health and reclining. and to be honest it was a little sluggish for me.

Enter MLG, Forge, and the customization of items. The overshield was redesigned to feel more like H1/H2, Maps were altered so that the weapon spawns and player spawns were balanced. Most importantly, however, was the speed/recharge speed. Speed was set to 110% and recharge was set to 90% making for MLG an environment that was more in tune with H1/H2 then H3 was at that point.

So you see this could make things a lot more interesting for brawl. People argue its a different game and not melee...my argument is that some games need customizing to make everything work better. ST is on Turbo 3 competitively, MVC2 turbo 1, and even halo at 110% speed.

Just some food for thought

pirkid

Smash Lord
wow that captain falcon match was badass.

don't hate the player hate the game you haters.
You can't hate Brawl.

Play with others, like R.O.B, Dedede, Mario, people who might be affected by High Grav.

I understand that games are made with options so that they can be tweaked ,but it disrupts pretty much every balance factor in the game. Character recoveries change (Wolf may as well be bottom tier), combos appear and disappear, it just changes the game too much to be considered the norm, IMO.

And, half the people on this thread need to get the game first before spitting flame.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
Regardless of the fact that Brawl isn't "Melee 2.0", if high-grav allows Brawl to be played at a more competitive level, then it will become the standard.

Starscream

Smash Ace
I really don't give a **** if someone wants to play with High Gravity. It's pretty clear that this won't be the competitive standard so nothing really to worry about.

Top Bottom