• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pro High Gravity mode matches here (AWESOME COMBOS)!!

brawl1994

Smash Journeyman
STOP IT, people are trying to make brawl melee 2.0, its not! its brawl and if you dont like it, leave and play melee

Blackshadow

Smash Ace
Adelaide, Australia. Along with my Mad Duck.
brawl1994 said:
STOP IT, people are trying to make brawl melee 2.0, its not! its brawl and if you dont like it, leave and play melee
Stop regurgitating the same phrases over and over. Contrary to popular opinion, IT IS possible to enjoy a game how you want, and if they happen to enjoy playing in a similar style to Melee then what right do you have to tell them they can't?

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
I think it's fine for the OP to want to see some HG matches, they did look pretty cool. However...

For the folks saying "competitive Brawl will be in HG"...HG will NEVER become tournament standard. Anyone looking for that should get over it, now. Gimpy said it best pages ago.

Mr. M

Smash Journeyman
Pensacola, FL Wargh! King Dedede, how dare you be
Heh, "pros"

I don't think y'all would like HG as the standard anyways. People who are skilled at comboing, like me, would dominate this mode. 0% to kill would be far too easy in HG mode, from the looks of it. This just looks like it would make juggling child's play. Try to remember: Competive scene = the norm. Sure, we turn off items and smash balls to level the playing field. So what? See what we do there? We turn off things that are deemed unfair. See where I'm getting at? Would you like Ken to take over first place as the best Smasher again? He's a **** good juggler. He'd be terrifying to play against in this mode.

Also, I love how you people coin these japanese videos as pro instantly. Most of these people shoot a fish in a barrel, from the way I see them play. :p

But still, a HG tourny (that's what it would be called. Like a low-tier tourny is just that) would be fun.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
SERIOUS BUSINESS!!!!

Oh my god, it's not that serious, if people want to play on high gravity then let them. It looks awesome, and Brawl can't be Melee 2.0 even if you put it on high gravity. God forbid people want to try something new yet something familiar without being bashed by all people who have nothing better to do than complain. Get over it.

Good vids :)

SheerMadness

Smash Master
The only argument I've seen from people who don't like High Gravity mode is either "Brawl is not melee 2.0" or "HG mode will never be the competitive standard". Neither of which even offers any valid points other than stating their opinion. If you wanna post here atleast include some valid points. Here are mine:

No one is saying we should designate high gravity as the only means of competitive brawl from the start. We'll give regular brawl its fair chance. However there is a very real chance that high gravity brawl is better suited for competitive play, and if it is, we should give it a chance. But unfortunately a lot of people only see it as "melee 2.0" and get defensive about the possibilty of it being a better competitive game.

Whatever, call me an elitist if you like. But its pritty ridiculous that people who have never even played competitive smash are telling everyone what will and wont happen for competitive brawl. If smash were only meant to be played one way then competitive melee would have been with medium items and friendly fire off. The fact is that 1 individual smasher doesn't get to make the rules, so saying that "high gravity competitive brawl will never happen" is just as big of a generalization that I made. Just because you don't wanna play competitive high gravity mode doesn't mean others don't or wont.

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
I don't think y'all would like HG as the standard anyways. People who are skilled at comboing, like me, would dominate this mode. 0% to kill would be far too easy in HG mode, from the looks of it. This just looks like it would make juggling child's play. Try to remember: Competive scene = the norm. Sure, we turn off items and smash balls to level the playing field. So what? See what we do there? We turn off things that are deemed unfair. See where I'm getting at? Would you like Ken to take over first place as the best Smasher again? He's a **** good juggler. He'd be terrifying to play against in this mode.

Also, I love how you people coin these japanese videos as pro instantly. Most of these people shoot a fish in a barrel, from the way I see them play. :p

But still, a HG tourny (that's what it would be called. Like a low-tier tourny is just that) would be fun.
You're coming off way too cocky. Just thought i'd let you know.

Dark-Pikachu-0

Smash Rookie
Looks right. I really can't understand the ppl that think we should play brawl the way it was "intended to be played". If sakurai didn't want us to play this way, then why did he include it? the worst thing about this is that no one can change their minds, and they just keep trying to change ours. lolnubs

Sakurai probably just wanted to make brawl look less intimidating so he made low-g mode the standard. i guess that this mode might end up being tourney standard if, you know, it's fair for everyone. it's awesum, cuz you can play really fast, but Lcancel is automatic. :D

Lant

Smash Journeyman
You're coming off way too cocky. Just thought i'd let you know.
Most people who play Smash tend to think they're the best thing since sliced bread. It's human nature.

Edit: Same reason people like naming techs after themselves, quite alot of inventors have done the same. *******s.

Dark-Pikachu-0

Smash Rookie
just read some of the posts here... XD

brawl isn't melee 2.0... wut kind of argumnt is dat?

If I like melee better, an brawl offers me a fair mode that allows it to be more like melee in speed only, ill play it. simple :|

i mean, i never entered the competitive scene because i lacked the means, and if HG isn't available on wi-fi ill just play it LG. no prob. but if the competitive guys find HG mode gives them what they want, then who are u to stop them? obvious stuff. are they threatening u with a gun to play like them?

I guess LG mode is better for wi-fi, another reason why it's standard...

WaffleGuyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Nice matches. Also, to the "Brawl =/= Melee 2.0" people, everyone should be able to play how they freaking want. It's not like anyone's telling you that's how you should be playing it with your friends or whatever.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Instead of griping that "BRAWL ISNT MELEE 2.0!!!!!11!!z" (which, I agree with), why not view this different mode as a blessing? The players that can't let go of Melee get their setting that heavily resembles it, while everyone else can learn to play with the new settings. It may cause some confusion in tournament play, and possibly two different divisions of it in the future, but at least everyone's happy, right?

Whether Sakurai intended for this mode to mimic Melee or not is anyone's guess, but it looks like it works.

Sculelos

Smash Journeyman
I don't really care what the competetive scene does, I will probably play this mode and also probably screw around with low gravity as well. I just like variety although normal smash will probably what I play most of since I usually like it the best.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I really don't give a **** if someone wants to play with High Gravity. It's pretty clear that this won't be the competitive standard so nothing really to worry about.
It's a very old qoute, but people should look at this post if this thread bugs you. <_<

Andromeda

Smash Lord
What the h*ll's up with this thread? Let the ones who want to play with high gravity do it and have their fun, and all of you others can stick to the regular gameplay of Brawl and have your fun. You really don't have to bash eachother for it. It's just plain stupid.

Popuri

Smash Apprentice
wow cool

this looks like a lot of fun, if people decide they want to MAIN this mode then can we please make this the place for us all to meet and exchange friend codes?

I'm in.

Oh yes, I am also very curious about Lightning melee... I will have to try it before attempting to form any communities but I'm with you on this one.

TheZizz

Smash Journeyman
I'm not one to decry variety in my videos. Even if it is just to more closely emulate Melee, it's a start.

Hong

The Strongest
Lol. What's with people? As stated many times, the option to increase gravity is there for a reason. Don't flame people for enjoying that. In my opinion it looks like a lot of fun and I'd love to give it a try.

Popuri

Smash Apprentice
hmm very interesting, the Falcon vs Falcon match (http://youtube.com/watch?v=iomUOudEybs) seems to be playing at x1.2 normal speed.

If this really is just High Gravity then when they created this mode they must have added this slight increase in speed too. You can tell by counting the seconds it takes for the clouds or sun to appear.

from the word GO it takes 52 seconds for the sun to apear in this video

but on a normal match it takes 62 seconds...

I thought Lightning was something like x1.5 or x2

can you chose very specific speed upgrades in Brawl? If you have the game I would really appreciate any answer to this.

Thingy Person

Smash Journeyman
While I agree with the saying that Brawl is not Melee 2, the way people use it in this thread is pathetic.
This is just about experimenting and doing new combos, which is in itself a form of art. Only if people were going to make this the new setting for tourneys, then I would use the asshat sentence.

edit: WTF? Is "***" not censored?! NOWAI

Ichor

Smash Journeyman
Not to be off topic too much but ...YEA !!!!!! *** was not censored in asshat (''''(0_o)'''')

Popuri

Smash Apprentice
i have a question

I read on the dojo that when playing with friends on WIFI you can play more modes than just free for all, what I want to know is can you play Special Brawls with friends??

I need to know >_<

you probably can... it would be silly if they only meant you can play stock and coin or something... but still, I need Confirmation.

many thanks! (but only if someone actually answers)

kr3wman

Smash Master
hmm very interesting, the Falcon vs Falcon match (http://youtube.com/watch?v=iomUOudEybs) seems to be playing at x1.2 normal speed.

If this really is just High Gravity then when they created this mode they must have added this slight increase in speed too. You can tell by counting the seconds it takes for the clouds or sun to appear.

from the word GO it takes 52 seconds for the sun to apear in this video

but on a normal match it takes 62 seconds...

I thought Lightning was something like x1.5 or x2

can you chose very specific speed upgrades in Brawl? If you have the game I would really appreciate any answer to this.

Word. You just destroyed this whole thread single-handedly. Grats.

Popuri

Smash Apprentice
what on earth are you talking about? how?

It is a thread about high gravity matches, and I am asking a question about high gravity matches...

???

BOZO500

Smash Journeyman
What the h*ll's up with this thread? Let the ones who want to play with high gravity do it and have their fun, and all of you others can stick to the regular gameplay of Brawl and have your fun. You really don't have to bash eachother for it. It's just plain stupid.
exactly!!!!

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
ok, so the OP isn't even sure this is HG mode? o_O and who are these "pros" you dug up out of obscurity from the internetz?

and those vids blow. if they were melee vids, they'd still blow.

HG *may* be viable, but nothing in this thread is convincing, and the thread title is pretty much all lies.

Popuri

Smash Apprentice
Please dont misunderstand, I am not here to 'destroy any threads' I just love what I see when I watch that Falcon vs Falcon video and want to know the whole truth.

SheerMadness said he was 90% sure that they where High Gravity and not Lightning so I did not disprove him because he wasn't 100% sure.

Besides thats not important, what is important is that a lot of people dislike the slow movement of Brawl and this video brings us all hope.

smash has always been divided into either casuals or compettitives. We might with this see a new division.

I just want to know more...

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
you guys are ridiculous. a lot of you are getting so defensive for no reason. a good fighting game has good combo'ing abilities, and there is a POSSIBLE chance that high gravity mode will offer better speed, combo ability, and balance. you dont know. maybe it will maybe it wont. It's a valid mode in the game, and i'm pretty sure we are all allowed to play it.
For the people saying "it's not melee 2.0". well, no duh. just cuz you play t on HG mode doesnt make it melee, it makes it HG brawl, hence, still brawl, not melee. it's not like this HAS to be the way tournaments are run. but it's an idea, a suggestion, to see where we bring brawl as a competitive game.
even if you disagree, just talk about it with your counterclaims, and don't bash for no reason. it makes you guys look like such scrubs/noobs. be humble about it.
and those vids looked awesome. A faster paced, more combo friendly mode is not something to look down upon. so just chillax people. NO ONE IS TRYING TO MAKE MELEE 2.0, just a possibly better brawl.
we took melee and played with the rules until we came upon the final ruleset to make it the best rules for competitive play. \
That's what we have to do for brawl, so tournaments are played under the best condition.....peace

-hiro

kr3wman

Smash Master
what on earth are you talking about? how?

It is a thread about high gravity matches, and I am asking a question about high gravity matches...

???
You actually noticed it was not High gravity matches, but some with a higher speed coefficient.

Sliq

Smash Master
ITT people who don't go to tournaments know what is best for the tournament scene.

Top Bottom