• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Light Labs: Mega Man Advance Techniques Discovery Thread

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
Just thought id mention that I noticed Bowser doesnt flinch against Megamans nair/jab/ftilt unless you are very close to him(not to be confused for when you are on top of them and your jab and nair have knockback properties). Not really sure why hes the only one, but it makes zoning bowser out harder now.
Bowser has weak super armor at low % (I've tested up to 30%) and will shrug off knockback equivalent to your Crash Bomb. HOWEVER! Your darn lemons still works on us, just like you said, but probably not at higher range. At closer range, it probably gains the properties of a jab which have set knockback and damage, which I mistook for a property of your entire lemon assault. I'll have to report back to the Bowser moveset thread.

@juice.Zucco Thank you for your observations. If you get a better idea for what the optimal lemon range is before I do, I'd appreciate it if you shared it either on this thread and/or on the Bowser moveset thread. Stay awesome.

EDIT: Lemons... you jump and shoot lemons...

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
I don't think Dthrow sets up well enough for combos. Throws in general are really lame in this game. Like Dthrow > Fair > anything only works at really low percents.

F-ric

Smash Cadet
Sorry if this is a repeat, but has anyone else noticed that using Rush Coil removes move lag? For example, if you Rush Coil and use Air Shooter just before you spring off of Rush again you can immediately use Air Shooter a second time without the normal move lag Air shooter causes! If done right, you can spam aerial Uair and KO opponents through the ceiling! I love doing this with Villager in the demo, he always seems to try to be above me, lol.
Yeah it's interesting because as soon as you throw out another Shooter it replaces the old one so you can keep replacing them directly under where they are currently. Also you can Rush again after landing on a grounded rush (after initial up B) for even sillier kills off the top, once I placed an air shooter at the top blast zone of FD and got a KO.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Matches from yesterday posted on the video thread. (Mine and iGGY's)

Watching them again, I don't feel as crushed as I did initially. They made a prediction of how it would turn out and I met it. (Also Billy was crushing everyone left and right all night. I didn't get three stocked either.) I wish I played as hard as I did my last stock but it took me the whole set to figure out the match up. No worries though. Go check them out for yourself!

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Bustering Link's shield seems like it may be a good stall tactic for Crash Bomb, although not every hit of the bomb may hit due to the shield.

Jhaman

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jhaman
3DS FC
2595-1387-7690

Watching them again, I don't feel as crushed as I did initially. They made a prediction of how it would turn out and I met it. (Also Billy was crushing everyone left and right all night. I didn't get three stocked either.) I wish I played as hard as I did my last stock but it took me the whole set to figure out the match up. No worries though. Go check them out for yourself!
Ouch, that crash bomb on the ledge in the second game hurt me. I've been trying to find a way to stick them there when someone's trying to return but I haven't figured it out quite yet.

I almost always have to use an Up+B to get back after sticking it on the stage, has a lot of startup/casting time that double jump won't let me get back to the stage by itself.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Ouch, that crash bomb on the ledge in the second game hurt me. I've been trying to find a way to stick them there when someone's trying to return but I haven't figured it out quite yet.

I almost always have to use an Up+B to get back after sticking it on the stage, has a lot of startup/casting time that double jump won't let me get back to the stage by itself.
You can run off, crash bomb at the stage, coil while holding down to pass the ledge, then before you land throw a metal blade back in one of the three directions behind you.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
So, not sure if this has been found yet, but if you're in the air, you can metal blade straight down, then nair to grab it immediately. It's a great way to get a metal blade in your hand without giving them a chance of grabbing it first, or if you're being juggled, as you can unexpectedly throw it on your way down.

HitokiriBattousai

Smash Rookie

one really cool thing i saw in IGGY's match was when he went Diagonal forward metal blade > Dash attack (hit) > pick up Metal Blade and toss it up (Hit) > Pivot throw

that is similar to the stuff i had been messing around with the other day so it was pretty cool to see it in a match against a Human

Last edited:

Jhaman

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jhaman
3DS FC
2595-1387-7690
You can run off, crash bomb at the stage, coil while holding down to pass the ledge, then before you land throw a metal blade back in one of the three directions behind you.
Right, I was just hoping I could run off, crashbomb, and jump and be back on the stage but the crashbomb seems to have a decent casting time that I have to use RushCoil. Was hoping I wouldn't have to so I could save it just in case.

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire

You did great as someone who is still learning the game and Little Mac matchup. I've been watching other characters take on Mac and it's always the same mistakes at the start, but everyone figures out what approaches are bad against Mac and when to punish him. There was one instance where you almost had Mac with your forward smash, but he managed to land behind you. I've had this happen a lot, and while it's a bummer, I can't help by get psyched by how amazing the punish would have been. Low to the ground air dodges are also a bad habit from Brawl that every one of us needs to get rid of. Thanks for posting iGGY's match. His execution of the ATs found on the Megaman boards really gives us all something to aim for with the blue bomber at this early stage.

From your match, does the second use of Rush on the ground cause Megaman to snap to the spring? It looked like he was just barely mistiming his attacks against you.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Right, I was just hoping I could run off, crashbomb, and jump and be back on the stage but the crashbomb seems to have a decent casting time that I have to use RushCoil. Was hoping I wouldn't have to so I could save it just in case.
I need to thank you, as thanks to your post I've been messing around on the ledge and found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=048_T8g6QAE

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
As someone who's not very versed in smash mechanics, are you canceling some kind of landing lag but resetting your RushCoil each time by using a neutral special or forward special?
By using either the bomb or blade, I'm sliding off the edge repeatedly while renewing my jump and coil.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
You did great as someone who is still learning the game and Little Mac matchup. I've been watching other characters take on Mac and it's always the same mistakes at the start, but everyone figures out what approaches are bad against Mac and when to punish him. There was one instance where you almost had Mac with your forward smash, but he managed to land behind you. I've had this happen a lot, and while it's a bummer, I can't help by get psyched by how amazing the punish would have been. Low to the ground air dodges are also a bad habit from Brawl that every one of us needs to get rid of. Thanks for posting iGGY's match. His execution of the ATs found on the Megaman boards really gives us all something to aim for with the blue bomber at this early stage.

From your match, does the second use of Rush on the ground cause Megaman to snap to the spring? It looked like he was just barely mistiming his attacks against you.
Regarding the air dodge, as time went on, I was telling myself that. Air Dodge to shield was so strong in Brawl and I am so accustom to it.

What I have also figured during my match against LM was he was shutting down my horizontal game. The problem is, I have no concept of how to play Mega Man vertically. I guess as time goes on and I play/watch more match ups, I will understand it better. But yes, this was the first time I actually played with other players since a brief 4 hour game play last week. (Most everyone there had a JPN 3DS)

Also what I want to get better at is confirming kills. There are plenty of times where I would actually be even in percent and then managed to lose my stock first. From there, I try to aggressively even out the stock and take a ton of unnecessary damage. It really wants me to find a kill set up for Mega Man at high percents but that will take some serious experimenting. It might end up being a personal problem and not a character problem. Maybe mentally tell myself to just "Keep Calm and Put on Easy Damage"

Thanks for the support. I felt like I could of had a better showing but I am pretty realistic about the outcome. Especially with not knowing what to expect from non-demo characters.

Last edited:

Jhaman

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jhaman
3DS FC
2595-1387-7690
Don't know if this is well known or not. Suprised me. When using downtilt you need to be half a character length away from the target. Being on top of them it will go through without doing anything to your opponent.

http://youtu.be/NQgLU_inZ9Y

pinkdeaf1

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0387-9018-0614
Mega man can jump out of his grounded pellets. I think this would be more viable than f-tilts to grabs or whatever.

Edit: also, you can use the crash bomber on the ledge and use the weak explosion to cancel any landing lag. This also works with opponents who get stuck with the crash bomber.

Mega's u-tilt is so good for punishing whiffed moves right after a roll. Roll behind their smash and buffer up tilt.

Last edited:

Jhaman

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jhaman
3DS FC
2595-1387-7690
Posting this here too:

So I'm currently testing kill percents in the demo. No idea how helpful this is. I don't know mega man's weight class. This is versus a level 1 CPU so he might be jumping or being relatively silly.

Kill Percents Mega Man Versus Mega Man (lvl1 CPU)

D-Smash . Fully Charged: 61%
D-Smash . Uncharged: 100%

F-Smash . Uncharged: 175% (From center of stage on omega mode)
F-Smash . Fully Charged: 90% (From center of stage omega mode.)
F-Smash . Uncharged: 135% (From edge of stage on omega mode.)
F-Smash . Fully Charged: 75% (From Edge of Stage on omega mode.)

U-Smash . Uncharged: 165%
U-Smash . Fully Charged: 95%

B- Air: 120% (From edge of stage on omega mode.)

U-Tilt: 91%
D-Tilt: 225% (From edge of stage on omega mode.)

Last edited:

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Are they all the same weight? I thought the order of characters from lightest to heavy in the demo were pikachu<villager<mario<mega man<link
I didn't test it on another MM, but I know for sure that I killed Link at 93/94% with Utilt. Probably a tad less so for the lighter characters

EDIT: Recorded a video of me using the the utilt on Link

Last edited:

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
I wrote this elsewhere on the comp. discussion forum, but it's all about megaman.

This is how I believe Rush Coil operates, and why Megaman is able to use it out of hitstun.

Rush likely works the way it does because I believe Mega Man is not 'jumping' in the way we've come to know jumping. Instead, he is being propelled up using push physics (like how the FLUDD, Grenades, PSI Magnet, etc work). Rush activates instantly, and even if he's in hitstun he can still be affected by push physics - which is how his Rush Coil seems to operate.

Thus megaman is simply instantly brought up by the push force of Rush. He doesn't need to be free to physically take an action, because being affected by Rush is allowed -- it's simply push physics, which can always affect players in hitstun.

The 'bug' is that Megaman can summon Rush when in certain hitstun situations.; summoning rush doesn't have an animation requirement from Megaman. He basically 'cheats' in making Rush Coil appear immediately. Megaman is propelled up because RUSH is the one taking the action to use push physics on Megaman to send him up, Megaman is simply somehow able to summon him to make that action happen. This is why I believe it is a bug/oversight, and not an intentional thing.

It should act how Sonic's Spring works - but it does not. Let me explain why I believe why:

When Sonic uses the spring, he takes a special 'action' to go into a special JUMP animation with specific physics, and a tumble animation afterward. Megaman's Rush Coil demands no such 'action' from megaman - megaman simply moves up on the X axis in his 8-bit way. This lack of necessity to make any 'action' on megaman's part (aside from simply making Rush Coil appear below him) is likely why it's doable while in hitstun.

This is just my theory, tell me if I'm mistaken on anything.

HitokiriBattousai

Smash Rookie
i had seen it posted before that Mega Man could pick up metal blades if you down throw then on the way down using N-air and was messing around when i noticed he could do the same with F-air (fairly easy) and B-Air (fairly hard if you try to land it cleanly with all hits) out of a double jump if you throw the blade down at the apex of the jump and follow it down

now its highly situational but it could be useful if you could edgeguard with B-air and grab a metal blade on the way down

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Hey, I don't think I have much to offer but I have found a few teensy cool things I hope haven't already been said:
  • Leaf Shield, Down Throw, Up-Tilt is a nice combo that can work at early percents (before 30%) if the opponent doesn't DI away from you. They'll end up falling a bit in front of you so you can try to follow up with Metal Blade, Foward Smash, or more.
  • You can Up-Tilt on a cliff and reverse grab a ledge. Might be good for teams, attacking one character and getting ready to ledge guard another?
  • Down Throw at higher percents followed by Up-Air can kill somewhat reliably! You could also send a metal blade up just in case!
MegaMan's pretty weird, and I know this isn't all too helpful, but I'd just love to share to see if maybe someone can build off of this and find something useful for MegaMan?

GeZ

Smash Lord
It's always helpful to share @ Sonsa Sonsa !
If I could say one thing though, it's that things that rely on your opponents not vectoring aren't usually useful as you should reasonably assume some competence on your opponents part.

BBC7

Smash Ace
I don't know how useful this information is, but I guess I'll share it anyways.

- You can use D-Tilt to edge-guard against certain characters. The foot appears to have a red hitbox even in the later frames of the attack. I've used it to edge-guard Mario's Up-B at times, although I'm not sure if it's really recommended, I think it might trade at times.
- If you Dash Attack right into a projectile, you'll stop on the spot with little lag and you'll take 0% damage. I found it easy to perform this against Mario and Pikachu, and difficult against Link. It helps you get closer, so if someone throws a projectile from afar, just DA into it and you'll approach them.
- Link's arrows can go through the Leaf Shield, computers seem to negate your Leaf Shield pretty consistently. I doubt humans will have the same timing though, it looks hard to pull off.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
It's always helpful to share @ Sonsa Sonsa !
If I could say one thing though, it's that things that rely on your opponents not vectoring aren't usually useful as you should reasonably assume some competence on your opponents part.
Thanks! Yeah, I know, that's why I was wondering if you could maybe do mind games or something... Like maybe plant a metal blade behind you, then mayyybe the opponent will go to grab it and get hit by up-tilt. It's not very reliable, but it is a link so maybe there are ways to adjust and use it.

By the way, I'm just going off the demo, I think down-throw to up-tilt would work on big characters like Bowser and Dedede every time, even if they DI away, but I can't exactly test that. If someone could that would be nice!

Jhaman

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jhaman
3DS FC
2595-1387-7690
I didn't test it on another MM, but I know for sure that I killed Link at 93/94% with Utilt. Probably a tad less so for the lighter characters

EDIT: Recorded a video of me using the the utilt on Link
Awesome. I just tried it again on MM in the demo. Killed him at 91%, at 90% the hit is significantly less. He barely went any higher than my character did. Some threshold is passed at 91%. I feel like i've had similar reactions on dair but that's harder to test.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
What you must remember is that moves stale a lot in this game so the kill percent can fluctuate a lot if used often. One use makes the move only kill at a much higher percent. The best way to refresh your moves is to pummel when you have a grab.

Jhaman

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jhaman
3DS FC
2595-1387-7690
What you must remember is that moves stale a lot in this game so the kill percent can fluctuate a lot if used often. One use makes the move only kill at a much higher percent. The best way to refresh your moves is to pummel when you have a grab.
Totally forgot about that. Well I wrote down the lowest percents I killed lvl1CPU MegaMan with each move so it should be pretty accurate now. Peer review always welcomed and encouraged.

Last edited:

BBC7

Smash Ace
This is something pretty useless I found, although it's kind of cool.

Double Jump -> Nair -> Fastfall and simultaneously Dair

This is pretty odd because the Dair itself does no damage this way despite an animation still being present if you time it right(I still haven't got the timing down 100%). I believe that with a C-Stick, you can replace the Dair with a Fair or a Bair, because the C-Stick doesn't require you to move your character for a Fair or Bair.

Also, I believe the reason why it's necessary to double jump is because Dair is a slow move. Maybe Dair or Bair will take less jumping because they are quicker moves.

As far as I'm concerned, there's no need to do this because it does 0% and actually adds more landing lag, not less.

*EDIT* Upon further testing, it appears Nair is not necessary at all, nor is Double Jumping.

Jump -> Fastfall and Dair simultaneously

Last edited:

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
I tested it a bit today and it looks like MegaMan's dair gives him ever a bit more horizontal distance on his jump, if you time it so that you get the "floaty" effect.

I'm going to try to get into the habit of doing a dair whenever I'm trying to recover back to the stage from far away -- every little bit helps.

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Do pellets not refresh moves? If they do then I would think those would be the best tool for un-stale-ing moves.

On a different note, this is extremely situational and kind of dangerous to pull off, but also swaggy as hell:

After knocking an opponent off stage, SH UpB then do leaf shield on the way back down. If spaced right you can snap the ledge with an active shield.
That's kind of worthless on it's own, but if you're holding the metal blade, you can let go of the ledge as soon as they hit the leaf, z-drop the metal blade on them then confirm into a double jump Dair (since that should be right when leaf shield runs out).

Again, not really practical but really really cool.

Deathwish238

Smash Apprentice
I played my friend a good two hours or so with MM here's my take away.

PROS:

1 - i've read on here that running up to the AI with f-tilt does enough hit stun for you to follow up with a grab, this is NOT the case with a human being, i got punished countless times. The cool down from throwing out pellets is longer than the hit stun your opponent receives so they will grab YOU before you can grab THEM.

2 - his dash attack is GOOD! i think lol...at least against my friend he wasn't punishing me on it. The main reason is if you do it close to him MM will end up behind him so he won't be able to just shield grab. Although maybe he has enough time to run back and grab me, so far it was kinda abusable, which is perplexing since it's not something you would want to be doing traditionally.

3 - PLAY THE SPACE GAME! obviously lol pellets, neutral B, pivo f-tilt etc etc. What i've noticed is that if you're opponent is very grounded he's F'd! if you keep a roll distance away while barraging them with projectiles they can't deal with it, it's very annoying.

mix up the pellets so after they get conditioned that you can only throw out 3 pellets and they are shielding them i like to throw out TWO pellets and run up and grab especially with the right distance, or run up and dash attack.

i've found that pivot f-tilt (stop running) and keep shooting is pretty nice. if you keep running you WILL get punished.

4 - neutral B is amazing nuff' said. I also think that shooting it normally and not shooting it on the ground works best, you can throw out more often and like somebody said you have the 8 directions.

5 - usmash has nastyyy priority

CONS:

1 - i'm having trouble killing. i feel like sonic in brawl all over again where i out play my opponent but can't get that kill. As people have mentioned i think ledge hogging and bairing is your best bet. dairing too but it's not that consistent. with 2 minute matches i think this sticks out more but it's still going to be a problem that i'm very familiar with if he has trouble scoring kills whether it's 2 minute matches or normal matches.

2 - no real consistent follow up on his throws?

3 - leaf shield? i got an idea maybe if you stick them with the bomb you can leaf shield and then that will place them in a weird place of if they go up to you it's disadvantageous, idk i have to experiment with that idea.

anybody have any tips on how to realistically get kills? that's my main issue. also follow ups on grabs. i know low % you can up tilt but that's if they're hard headed and try to hit you after. maybe uair works too if you can make the read.

overall i DEFINITELY don't think he's going to be bad. in the right hands he's the ultimate disruptor. spacing spacing spacing is the name of the game. pellet run and grab etc. etc.

F-ric

Smash Cadet
I played my friend a good two hours or so with MM here's my take away.

PROS:

1 - i've read on here that running up to the AI with f-tilt does enough hit stun for you to follow up with a grab, this is NOT the case with a human being, i got punished countless times. The cool down from throwing out pellets is longer than the hit stun your opponent receives so they will grab YOU before you can grab THEM.

2 - his dash attack is GOOD! i think lol...at least against my friend he wasn't punishing me on it. The main reason is if you do it close to him MM will end up behind him so he won't be able to just shield grab. Although maybe he has enough time to run back and grab me, so far it was kinda abusable, which is perplexing since it's not something you would want to be doing traditionally.

3 - PLAY THE SPACE GAME! obviously lol pellets, neutral B, pivo f-tilt etc etc. What i've noticed is that if you're opponent is very grounded he's F'd! if you keep a roll distance away while barraging them with projectiles they can't deal with it, it's very annoying.

mix up the pellets so after they get conditioned that you can only throw out 3 pellets and they are shielding them i like to throw out TWO pellets and run up and grab especially with the right distance, or run up and dash attack.

i've found that pivot f-tilt (stop running) and keep shooting is pretty nice. if you keep running you WILL get punished.

4 - neutral B is amazing nuff' said. I also think that shooting it normally and not shooting it on the ground works best, you can throw out more often and like somebody said you have the 8 directions.

5 - usmash has nastyyy priority

CONS:

1 - i'm having trouble killing. i feel like sonic in brawl all over again where i out play my opponent but can't get that kill. As people have mentioned i think ledge hogging and bairing is your best bet. dairing too but it's not that consistent. with 2 minute matches i think this sticks out more but it's still going to be a problem that i'm very familiar with if he has trouble scoring kills whether it's 2 minute matches or normal matches.

2 - no real consistent follow up on his throws?

3 - leaf shield? i got an idea maybe if you stick them with the bomb you can leaf shield and then that will place them in a weird place of if they go up to you it's disadvantageous, idk i have to experiment with that idea.

anybody have any tips on how to realistically get kills? that's my main issue. also follow ups on grabs. i know low % you can up tilt but that's if they're hard headed and try to hit you after. maybe uair works too if you can make the read.

overall i DEFINITELY don't think he's going to be bad. in the right hands he's the ultimate disruptor. spacing spacing spacing is the name of the game. pellet run and grab etc. etc.
A nice combo I've found that works at low% is dthrow->pivot full jump bair -> jump bair and it sends them decently far away to chase with a blade. I think Mega Man's main way to kill is just to edgeguard well he has an extremely potent off stage game and good recovery, I took out my friend playing pikachu at 50% with a really low bair. Up smash isn't just priority it's also a really disjointed hitbox that immediately centers you into the attack which makes it really useful. Running up smash is extremely useful with MM can anyone do a DACUS on the 3ds?

Kef

Smash Apprentice
I think the buster shot>grab mixup is really bad and that you need either an extremely respectful opponent or someone that doesn't know what they are doing. Even then, when you successfully open up your opponent, you will probably be only doing 2% with some negative frame advantage packed in as an extra (or a grab, which could still be gained from better mixups IMO). Down-Throw folowups are suspect too, it's hard to get a true combo followup (ex: no way you are getting RAR Bair or Dair).

Also, as of now, with only playing the game 1 day and a half, I don't see myself not having a Metal Blade picked up. Yes, the regular Metal Blade allows for 8 directions, but I think Item Metal Blade turns Megaman into such a better character. With the Metal Blade in hand, he can actually play a close range game with JC Downward Glide Tosses and RAR'd Bairs, he has a completely lag-less approach/combo starter with SH I-Metal Blade throw, and he still retains all of his other options (if you know how to regrab MBs) while doing so. To be honest, I-MB even makes Leaf Shield kind of interesting.

As far as OoS options, I am trying to forget about grabs as much as possible. This game (in general) has pretty mediocre (if at all) blockstun, so I feel you have a lot more options after a block than just grabbing, where Megaman doesn't really get that much (one hit followup at certain percents or free I-MB pickup). D-Tilt, U-Tilt, pivot U-Tilt, U-Smash, pivot grab, and JCT Down are great options to do OoS. D-Tilt for attacks that push you back like Link's DA, U-Tilt and pivot U-Tilt for any laggy aerial/smash, U-Smash for a safer punish for a crossup (or pivot grab), and JCT when you get greedy and want to rack up some damage (JCT combos pretty well into a lot of things).

Last edited:

OnFullTilt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gregolus
I'm sorry if I repeat something that someone else said but I'm a little pressed for time at the moment- I'll edit out anything if it's repeated. Anyways I've found some cool stuff- most importantly a way to beef up Megaman's recovery.

Normally to recover you double jump (DJ) and then Up B because up B is quick and easy to sweetspot. However if you've fallen, say, right next to the lower blast zone in battlefield this will not bring you high enough. What you do in this situation is up B AND THEN double jump, followed by a WALLjump (you can grab the ledge even if facing backwards). You do it in this order since you can't walljump out of an up B, but you can walljump out of a DJ. This is a really weird way to recover but I'm pretty sure it extends the distance you can recover from. Besides the obvious use of not dying, this technique makes it so that you can go even more ham while edgeguarding. You can also use this as a mixup- if you can reach the ledge with just an up B and a DJ you can do this: up B until you're slightly below the ledge, sink a bit, then DJ and then Walljump. This may save you against an edgeguarder.

Important thing #2: Megaman appears to have a REALLY good OOS game. His up smash out of shield is perhaps better than Melee samus's up B out of shield. It has comparable (perhaps even better) range, seems to come out around frame 2-3, does 16% damage when fully uncharged, and can even be a KO move at higher percents. Also since shields drop so fast in this game and the up tilt is quick it seems like you may sometimes be able to get away with this: shield->drop shield->up tilt. Considering how early a sweetspot up tilt kills this could be a fantastic option if it works.

Other weird stuff: if you up tilt right next to a ledge or at the end of a platform you'll end up jumping off of it and sinking down, which could make it hard to punish.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I really, really like the idea of frame trapping with fsmash, and the range on it makes it easy to do against rollers or air dodgers.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I'm sorry if I repeat something that someone else said but I'm a little pressed for time at the moment- I'll edit out anything if it's repeated. Anyways I've found some cool stuff- most importantly a way to beef up Megaman's recovery.

Normally to recover you double jump (DJ) and then Up B because up B is quick and easy to sweetspot. However if you've fallen, say, right next to the lower blast zone in battlefield this will not bring you high enough. What you do in this situation is up B AND THEN double jump, followed by a WALLjump (you can grab the ledge even if facing backwards). You do it in this order since you can't walljump out of an up B, but you can walljump out of a DJ. This is a really weird way to recover but I'm pretty sure it extends the distance you can recover from. Besides the obvious use of not dying, this technique makes it so that you can go even more ham while edgeguarding. You can also use this as a mixup- if you can reach the ledge with just an up B and a DJ you can do this: up B until you're slightly below the ledge, sink a bit, then DJ and then Walljump. This may save you against an edgeguarder.

Important thing #2: Megaman appears to have a REALLY good OOS game. His up smash out of shield is perhaps better than Melee samus's up B out of shield. It has comparable (perhaps even better) range, seems to come out around frame 2-3, does 16% damage when fully uncharged, and can even be a KO move at higher percents. Also since shields drop so fast in this game and the up tilt is quick it seems like you may sometimes be able to get away with this: shield->drop shield->up tilt. Considering how early a sweetspot up tilt kills this could be a fantastic option if it works.

Other weird stuff: if you up tilt right next to a ledge or at the end of a platform you'll end up jumping off of it and sinking down, which could make it hard to punish.
May or may not be of use, but like in Brawl, holding down allows you to Wall Jump off the actual ledge itself.

Deathwish238

Smash Apprentice
I think the buster shot>grab mixup is really bad and that you need either an extremely respectful opponent or someone that doesn't know what they are doing. Even then, when you successfully open up your opponent, you will probably be only doing 2% with some negative frame advantage packed in as an extra (or a grab, which could still be gained from better mixups IMO). Down-Throw folowups are suspect too, it's hard to get a true combo followup (ex: no way you are getting RAR Bair or Dair).

Also, as of now, with only playing the game 1 day and a half, I don't see myself not having a Metal Blade picked up. Yes, the regular Metal Blade allows for 8 directions, but I think Item Metal Blade turns Megaman into such a better character. With the Metal Blade in hand, he can actually play a close range game with JC Downward Glide Tosses and RAR'd Bairs, he has a completely lag-less approach/combo starter with SH I-Metal Blade throw, and he still retains all of his other options (if you know how to regrab MBs) while doing so. To be honest, I-MB even makes Leaf Shield kind of interesting.

As far as OoS options, I am trying to forget about grabs as much as possible. This game (in general) has pretty mediocre (if at all) blockstun, so I feel you have a lot more options after a block than just grabbing, where Megaman doesn't really get that much (one hit followup at certain percents or free I-MB pickup). D-Tilt, U-Tilt, pivot U-Tilt, U-Smash, pivot grab, and JCT Down are great options to do OoS. D-Tilt for attacks that push you back like Link's DA, U-Tilt and pivot U-Tilt for any laggy aerial/smash, U-Smash for a safer punish for a crossup (or pivot grab), and JCT when you get greedy and want to rack up some damage (JCT combos pretty well into a lot of things).
hm i see. i would like to see a vid of you playing to get an idea of how you're using item metal blade vs just using it like normal. i feel like the time it takes to throw it down and pick it up is better served doing something else. UNLESS you're doing it transitionally aka throwing blade diagonally and then dash attack while picking it up.

i would like to show you how i'm using it as well lol. i basically try to space myself always trying to face my opponent and barraging them with pellets and normal metal blade. and that's when that shield grab set up comes to play. if they don't shield my pellets they're going to get hit, if they spot dodge i imagine they get hit by one or two of them eventually. only way i see that megaman is weak is an aerial approach and even then he can still do work with pellets and blade when predicted, just not as much.

Top Bottom