• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Light Labs: Mega Man Advance Techniques Discovery Thread

GeZ

Smash Lord
It's weird seeing a thread full of posters I've never seen, but it's cool that Smash 4 is bringing in new blood. I played with a bunch of friends of mine today for the first time and really enjoyed the game. Megaman is definitely going to be my main cause of that nostalgia ass hype, so I'll share a few little things I've found.

I didn't have time to discover tech so instead I've got a slew of MU tech for you.

So to start, Link is a tough MU for us. His neutral position (standing with his shield forward) will block almost all of our projectiles. To top it off crash bombs that are stuck to him won't hurt him if he resets to neutral stand as his shield will block the explosion. While a lot of players have been recommending shying away from Leaf Shield, I really would suggest using it less than his other moves, but not sparingly. It deserves consistent use in matches against zoning characters as it can really shut down some of their ****. Like using Link as an example, he can boomerang/ arrow/ bomb harass all day until you put up leaf shield, as it'll consistently block boomerangs and bombs, and sometimes stop arrows. More importantly is what it does when thrown though. In the matches I played it at least seemed like throwing Leaf Shield at link stops him from doing anything but shielding and jumping over.

The only other really neat thing that I've found about link v megaman is that you can on reaction Dtilt under his dash attack and punish it's recovery, which is pretty freaking sweet. Link players will think you're gahlike or something.

Next up would be Villager, who I think is pretty manageable. His recovery may be godlike but Megamains have one of the best tools to deal with it, which is our Slash Claw (Bair for the people who haven't played the games [god forbid]) as it's multihitting to deal with both balloons and small enough to be able to avoid hitting villager and refreshing his recovery. Besides that knowing that his tree walls off literally our entire projectile game, minus leaf shield (see? good utility) is important as well as his dekoids being breakable by any of our projectiles. Really we just out range him in general.

Also, don't treat Megamans grabs as simple damage dealers. They lead to good positioning and combos.

Also, and this is really important for the newer players to the series, be careful with your terminology. Don't call something a spike/ meteor/ anything until you are sure that it is, and if you're corrected on something, be grateful that you now have the right info, rather than spiteful towards to correctee. It happens a lot and is p dumb when it does.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I probably posted this a few times earlier, but I am really happy with how this discussion has turned out. Tomorrow I will be in a 16 man tournament for DFW's Smash scene and I am both nervous and excited. Part of me being nervous has to do with not wanting to let you guys down. I am guaranteed to get videos of my matches. (The farther I get in tournament, the more matches recorded) Which means, more Mega Man game play to share/critique.

Tomorrow is the first step in my Smash 4 career and I want it to be a strong one. Especially when playing Mega Man.

I will post a link for you guys tomorrow to watch the stream. I will be more than happy to see you guys watch and learn on the spot. not only about our character, but about what other characters are doing to him.

You probably won't hear from me till I post the stream tomorrow but I will be reading tomorrow. I promise not to let my fellow Mega Mains down.

Thanks for all your contributions to this characters meta!

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Just mesin' with the demo, and I found something. Less of a technique, and more of something to avoid.

Try Utilting off the ledge and grab on. Get up, and then jump. You'll get hit with the Utilt's lag. This could prove to be very bad for the Utilt if you can be hit out of it and keep the lag next landing. Can't really test what happens when hit right now, so just keep it in mind.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Just mesin' with the demo, and I found something. Less of a technique, and more of something to avoid.

Try Utilting off the ledge and grab on. Get up, and then jump. You'll get hit with the Utilt's lag. This could prove to be very bad for the Utilt if you can be hit out of it and keep the lag next landing. Can't really test what happens when hit right now, so just keep it in mind.
God damn it... Did we really have to bring the phantom lag back into this game too? Aaaaarg!

K-45

Smash Journeyman
Megaman air game is surprisingly good.

His forward air has decent range for a melee attack, high priority, and good knockback. so u can folow up with metal blade or a crash bomb.

His back air is almost as good as his forward air dose more damage and knock back for the cost of timing when to use it.

His up air is also really good cuz it can kill link at 80% just if u hit him on the hight of your 2nd jump. but my main concern here is how predictable it is. Still a really good move but in the competitive seen people can see it coming a mile away I feel.

Finally to talk about his down air/meteor smash. Like everything else it has good range and damage but the time it takes to use it is almost not worth it but from what I've tested from the demo. If a CUP is trying to use his up smash u can cancel it with his down air. Then use the Guts Man Throw to keep them away.

Over all his side airs have gold knockback and damage. As his down and up air have a bunch of killing potential.

Last edited:

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
I probably posted this a few times earlier, but I am really happy with how this discussion has turned out. Tomorrow I will be in a 16 man tournament for DFW's Smash scene and I am both nervous and excited. Part of me being nervous has to do with not wanting to let you guys down. I am guaranteed to get videos of my matches. (The farther I get in tournament, the more matches recorded) Which means, more Mega Man game play to share/critique.

Tomorrow is the first step in my Smash 4 career and I want it to be a strong one. Especially when playing Mega Man.

I will post a link for you guys tomorrow to watch the stream. I will be more than happy to see you guys watch and learn on the spot. not only about our character, but about what other characters are doing to him.

You probably won't hear from me till I post the stream tomorrow but I will be reading tomorrow. I promise not to let my fellow Mega Mains down.

Thanks for all your contributions to this characters meta!
I'm happy to hear someone else mention this game as a "career," I'll be doing the same thing. If I get good enough I hope to get sponsored. Good luck! I'm jealous that I'm not in the Texas area right now for this tourney!

Here's a gif I made of the move in action, sorry if it is really bad.
via Imgflip GIF Maker
OH! You meant the edge of the stage, not the edge of the slash! When I pulled it off it was done in the air. Yes, I've done this too but haven't tested it too much. Now I will! Neat find!

Red Scarf

Smash Rookie
OH! You meant the edge of the stage, not the edge of the slash! When I pulled it off it was done in the air. Yes, I've done this too but haven't tested it too much. Now I will! Neat find!
Yeah that's what I meant to say, sorry if I was misleading. However, you have to admit pulling this off can both confuse and pressure your opponent, as they won't be expecting it.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
I think that z-dropped blade into dair or bair have the potential be incredibly dangerous edge guarding techniques in the right hands.

If you time it correctly, you can drop a metal blade and a dair one right behind the other, making it a lot easier to land a hit while chasing off stage. The blades often cancel opponents' attacks and can even flinch them long enough for your hard knuckle to connect. It's quite satisfying to block Link's spin attack or pop Villager's balloons with the blade and then watch them subsequently eat a hard knuckle to the face.

Blade drop to bair is a lot of fun to use when opponents' are hanging on to the ledge. If they hang on too long, the blade will get them. If they jump off the ledge, the blade will get them. If they attack off the ledge, the blade AND the bair will get them. If they dodge off the ledge, you can catch them with the bair. It can be tricky to time right, but it's a nice little edge guarding technique when you can pull it off.

GeZ

Smash Lord
K-45 mentioning following aerials with projectiles is a lot more important than most players would think. As much as those double forward airs are fun and good for getting that kill offstage, when doing that sequence onstage we often end up in a bad place IE too close to our opponent, so it's usually a better idea at every percent except for kill percent to combo one aerial, be it Fair/ Bar/ etc. then to slap them with a metal blade. You're putting distance between you two (which you need) and tagging on some nice damage. I used Nair for following up Fair but I'm sure Megaman can get much better set ups off of it.

Again in reference to matches against other characters with zoning tools, we could Fair > Nair once > Leaf Shield. By the time they're out of hitstun we've got the shield up and can deal with most things that they throw at us.

Tselel (5805)

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chris_Tselel
Hey, so I'm looking at MM's up throw to up air. It looks very very good in the demo. It may be guaranteed if there's poor DI on the throw. And this may be the wrong forum for this, so sorry if it is.

juice.Zucco

Smash Cadet
Just thought id mention that I noticed Bowser doesnt flinch against Megamans nair/jab/ftilt unless you are very close to him(not to be confused for when you are on top of them and your jab and nair have knockback properties). Not really sure why hes the only one, but it makes zoning bowser out harder now.

Doctor Pink

Smash Apprentice
Bair is probably the only real gimping move in the entire game. It wrecks everyone who isn't Villager(aka Recoveryger), and properly spaced can even body Recoveryger. Seriously, it's like a strictly better version of Ivysaur Bair <3 Megaman can afford to go pretty deep with Bair, My friends who also have the demo have already tried to forbid me from playing Megaman against them in the demo, lol

Cook

Smash Master
Just thought id mention that I noticed Bowser doesnt flinch against Megamans nair/jab/ftilt unless you are very close to him(not to be confused for when you are on top of them and your jab and nair have knockback properties). Not really sure why hes the only one, but it makes zoning bowser out harder now.
Just Bowser? Not other fatties, like DK, DDD, Charizard?

Red Scarf

Smash Rookie
Megaman air game is surprisingly good.

His forward air has decent range for a melee attack, high priority, and good knockback. so u can folow up with metal blade or a crash bomb.

His back air is almost as good as his forward air dose more damage and knock back for the cost of timing when to use it.

His up air is also really good cuz it can kill link at 80% just if u hit him on the hight of your 2nd jump. but my main concern here is how predictable it is. Still a really good move but in the competitive seen people can see it coming a mile away I feel.

Finally to talk about his down air/meteor smash. Like everything else it has good range and damage but the time it takes to use it is almost not worth it but from what I've tested from the demo. If a CUP is trying to use his up smash u can cancel it with his down air. Then use the Guts Man Throw to keep them away.

Over all his side airs have gold knockback and damage. As his down and up air have a bunch of killing potential.
Well from what I can tell the thing is with Megaman's dair/ meteor smash is that you need to have some level of anticipation. When your first input it mega man doesn't lose altitude before the fist comes out, this allows you to slide over your opponent before you hit them.

NoPLo

Smash Cadet
NNID
NoploSnowman
I'm sorry if this has been mentioned already, I just discovered this thread so I hope I can help and learn from others :D

You can cancel the landing lag from an air dodge or B-Up by using N-Air before touching the floor! And then you can follow up with F-Tilt and shoot your remaining lemons :D And, as you probably already know, going from F-Tilt to N-Air again just by jumping.

I like walking forward while shooting my lemons and perform a shortjump backwards when my last lemon is shot so I can put myself into a safer position. Or maybe doing a full forward jump for a possible air attack.

You can also use your N-Air to cancel the phantom lag you mentioned before from using Utilt off stage and grab the edge :)

Last edited:

K-45

Smash Journeyman
Well from what I can tell the thing is with Megaman's dair/ meteor smash is that you need to have some level of anticipation. When your first input it mega man doesn't lose altitude before the fist comes out, this allows you to slide over your opponent before you hit them.

I'm not saying it's a bad meteor smash I really mean it only useful once your opponent is off the stage. other then that I see no reason to use it over the fire sword, or his back air.

NoPLo

Smash Cadet
NNID
NoploSnowman
Cancelling Landing Lag into N-Air/F-Air... We could call this technique... The Lemon Cancel.

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I've been playing the demo for like 2 hours now.
Some stuff that may or may not be of knowledge:

While in Leaf Shield you can: Throw picked up items - namely MBs, Ledge Attack, Grab, pummel.
Also, basic stuff like rolling/dodging.
I believe there's the possibility of using standard A Attacks while in LS with advanced, overlapping inputs.
However, those inputs might not be possible on the 3DS-version.

If you're high up in the air, you can MB down and instantly pick it up.

If your opponent likes to ledge-drop > doublejump onto the stage, you can predict this and use R.Coil.
The opponent will then jump on it and be set up for an aerial of your choosing.

You can retreat some of MM's moves by starting a dash away from your opponent, and then flick the stick back towards them + hit A or B.
Similar to Pivot Grabbing. I find this pretty effective with CBs and his Fsmash.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Like in Brawl, it's possible to hold down on the control stick and completely ignore the ledge no matter what(Except maybe tethers, which I haven't tried.). Combined with the nair cancel, you can pass the ledge and cancel out the lag from the Rush Coil.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Alright. The Smash 4 tournament will beginning shortly! Come watch for some hype Smash 4 action. All matches will be streamed tonight! Also iGGY is here too.

https://www.twitch.tv/tourneylocator
I can't promise, as streams/twitch don't run well with my comp, but I can try and catch it. If I do, I'll let you know.

Good Luck!

EDIT: Some properties of the Leaf Shield I've found:

1.It can be b reversed.

2.When you shoot it off, that can also be b reversed.

3.When activated mid-jump, it halts momentum.

4.It carries momentum as you're shooting it off in the air, so you can activate it at point A, and move backwards to point B while still shooting it forward. Or better yet, b reverse it to shoot behind you, and it'll still carry momentum while shooting off the other way.

5.You can glide toss with it up, as an added defense measure versus projectiles.

Last edited:

Jhaman

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jhaman
3DS FC
2595-1387-7690
Found some leaf shield, metal blade interactions. Made a video but I can't link it. Just signed up to try and share. Anyways, the jist of it is you can create a blade and throw it into the ground, leaf shield, grab it, throw it, then throw the leaf shield too.

Other things include grabbing it, spawning leaf shield and throwing the shield followed by the blade.

So you could run up, footstool, neutral z to release the blade while your leaf shield ticks. No idea if it would allow you to follow up or if the shield would be a hindrance at this point.

Last edited:

FrameImperfect

Smash Cadet
NNID
3x3=?
3DS FC
0044-2904-0617
EDIT: My bad, found the Rush Cancel video. Interesting technique to say the least.

Last edited:

K-45

Smash Journeyman
Got ten posts, here's the video of something you guys probably already know, but I thought was interesting.

Leaf Shield and holding Metal Blade interactions: http://youtu.be/VpJuCG9X84Y
Interesting little combo but takes almost to much time to set up from what I've tried. But hey that's one more combo to make the leaf shield not 100% useless.

Jhaman

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jhaman
3DS FC
2595-1387-7690
Interesting little combo but takes almost to much time to set up from what I've tried. But hey that's one more combo to make the leaf shield not 100% useless.
It's not bad for very safe edgeguarding, but I think with this game we'll see more people jumping out to finish their opponents rather than safely chucking leaves and metal blades from the stage.

Last edited:

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
Iggy's match against Aerolink's Sheik, Final destination...

Amazing. The chat is hyped out of their mind. Amazing match for all of us to watch later.

HitokiriBattousai

Smash Rookie
One thing I've found useful has been putting the metal blade diagonal down forward in front of me pretty much all the time. The reason I do this is because while it's not the easiest thing to time, you can do pellets to lock down the opponent/stuff their approach, then jump cancel Fair and if you time it right the Fair will come out and pick up the metal blades. I'm still messing with this but afterwards jumping over them and Z-dropping the blade and following it up with a Bair seems effective and ***** shields.
If the saw hits it appears to combo into Usmash, Bair and Dsmash*.

*I have not had a chance to test against human players, only on CPU and sandbag, but it seems pretty dirty so far.

More things you can do with metal blades:

- Z-drop them above a ledge to stop the opponent from recovering straight to the ledge. The advantage to this is it locks off one path to the ledge while you can go cover the other with Fair/Bair.

- Shoot them into the ledge while recovering them Z-grab them as you go to the ledge.

i've been messing around with diagonally down metal blades as well

personally i like to toss them Diagonally down (forward or back all dependent on my opponent) then Dash towards the metal blade in the ground and start the dash right on the metal blade to cause Mega Man to pick it up and if you happen to catch the opponent in the dash attack you could potentially follow it up with the picked up metal blade were as if they dodge it you have the metal blade to toss at them once out of the dash

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Yeah. iiGGY has been playing well all night. I apologize for not living up to expectations.

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
Yeah. Iggy has been playig well all night. I apologize for not living up to expectations.
Don't worry about it man! Keep on rockin our blue bomber. It's good to get tourney representation early on for our character, so thanks for getting the word out.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
It's silly and probably useless, but you can throw a metal blade up before landing on a grounded rush, and on the bounce catch the blade while its going up.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
It's silly and probably useless, but you can throw a metal blade up before landing on a grounded rush, and on the bounce catch the blade while its going up.
I love that, that sounds unbelievably flashy and just my style. If instant throwing is back it'd look even cool lol. Otherwise I suppose catching it with Nair might be a situational but kinda useful tactic.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Don't worry about it man! Keep on rockin our blue bomber. It's good to get tourney representation early on for our character, so thanks for getting the word out.
My only john is that it was my first time playing real people

Zori

Smash Champion
Have we confirmed if downthrow / fastfall fair to uptilt is a combo? I did tried it on a human and he said he tried to get out

yoyowoodchuckguy

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0018-1538-9247
So, a couple things I've noticed:
1. RAR is really good, due to Megaman's amazing bair.
2. If you throw a MB into the ground, than due a fullhop fair to pick it up while traveling forward, the lag from the fair will disappear before you hit the ground, so you can follow up with the MB before landing. This could be a useful approach option.

Top Bottom