• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Light Labs: Mega Man Advance Techniques Discovery Thread

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643

Advance Techniques and Strategies Discussion Thread

Introduction:

In the year 20XX, two scientists, Doctor Light and Doctor Wily are well known for their innovative and groundbreaking contributions to the ever-growing world of robotics. Being praised for their work in the areas of construction and industry, they have begun an extensive project of creating robots capable of performing numerous tasks which would be consider dangerous for a normal human to control.

Dr. Wily, eventually getting sick of living in the shadow of Dr. Light's superior genius, re-programs six of the Robot Masters, goes on a rampage, and attempts to take over the world.

One of the remaining Robot Masters, known at the time as "Rock", begs Dr. Light to convert him into a combat robot so that he can stop the madness of Dr. Wily's schemes. He is then outfitted with the "mega buster", a canon attached to his arm which, upon defeating other Robot Masters, attains the opposing robot's abilities.

After the success of the conversion, Mega Man is born! His mission: to defeat the Robot Masters, stop the evil domination of Dr. Wily, and restore the world to peace.

“Fight Mega Man, For everlasting peace!”

STANDARD ATTACKS

Jab

3% sweetspot(Point blank range), 2% otherwise

Forward Tilt
-3% sweetspot(Point blank range), 2% otherwise.

Down Tilt
-8% Sweet Spot (Start up), 5% Sour Spot

Up Tilt
-17% sweetspot(Start up), 12% sourspot, 8% at the apex of the attack.

Dash Attack
-Multi hit, 1%,1%,1%,1%,1%,1%,1%,3% for a total of 10% damage.

SMASHES

Forward Smash

-12% uncharged, 20% charged

Down Smash
-(Unsure here, it seems to vary a percent or two uncharged.)uncharged 17-18% Sweet Spot and 9-10% Sour Spot, Charged 24% Sweet Spot, 13% Sour Spot.

Up Smash
-multi hit uncharged, 2%, 2%, 2%, 2%, 2%, 6%, totaling 16%, charged 3%, 3%, 3%, 3%, 2%, 9%, totaling 22%(Again, unsure of the exact percent on each hit, but the numbers they total are correct.)

AERIALS

Neutral Aerial
-4% Sweet Spot (Point blank range), 2% Sour Spot.

Forward Aerial
-9% Sweet Spot(Towards the tip), 8% sourspot, 5% hitbox possible.

Back Aerial-multi hit, 3%, 4%, 5% totaling 12%
-Multi hit, 3%, 4%, 5% totaling 12%

Down Aerial

-14% sweetspot(Point blank range), 12%

Down Aerial- A pretty unique move here, a meteor smash from a decent distance away. Despite working best at a range though, it does in fact do more damage up close, which is worth noting. Now, I feel the best way to pull this off is to:

1.Jump off, making sure to keep a jump
2. Align yourself with the opponent
3.Using your double jump, proceed to dair them as the first jump was bait.

Please include mix ups, mix ups are an important part to any healthy metagame.

Now, this move can be used to combo, although it can be teched. To use this onstage with no lag, jump, gain a bit of height, then jump again as you use it. Depending on when you jumped, this can be fast falled towards the end of its duration, although it's safer not to unless you've got the distance down. This will allow you to utilize it, say, after a crash bomb goes off, and depending on whether or not they tech ti can be followed with an Up Tilt.

Crash Bomb ->Dair->Utilt https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2OrJiY5tfM

Overall, given its unusual nature, I'd say it's about average. It has a small sweet spot, and is quite laggy, but when properly spaced its safe and can be used to at the very least follow up a move or two. I'd have scored this as below average, but the range on it is what somewhat redeems it.

Up Aerial
-Multi Hit, 3%,3%,3%,2%,2%,2%,1%,1%(I'm not positive, but it totals out to 17%), totaling 17%

SPECIALS
Neutral Special-multi hit used is 3%, 3% totaling 6%. Thrown is 5%, 5% totaling 10%

Down Special
-Multi hit, 2%, 2%, 2%, 2%, totaling 8%. Doesn't matter how many leaves you have, throwing the barrier does 4%.

Side Special
-Multi hit, totaling 8%(Unsure of the individual percents on each hit.)

Up Special-N/A

PUMMEL AND THROW

Pummel-3%

F Throw-8%

Down Throw-5%

Back Throw-9%

Up Throw-8%

MISCELLANEOUS

Ledge Attack-7%

Get Up Attack-???

FINAL SMASH
Final Smash-multi hit, totals to 42%

(Will add image(s)/gif files in time)

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Miscellaneous Discoveries and Videos
(Credit to Opana for original post)

Rush Canceling

Mega Man can get himself out of jabs, low hit stun combos by mashing Up-B. This is purely a defensive tactic but it helps Mega Man escape low percent combo situations. This can be compared to Mr. Game and Watch using "Fire" to escape from low percent chain grab combos. The only difference is that Mega Man does not have a hit box when recovering.

Mega Man specials ledge slide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=048_T8g6QAE
Mega Man Jump Canceled Throw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxFwte0QU4M
Mega Man Jump Canceled Throw Follow Ups
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_-Bnr1HtHg
Crash Bomb Combo Starter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2OrJiY5tfM
Footstool->Gear Drop->Forward Aerial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3jUZhUPmq8
Mega Man Skid Toss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjsQuVo3CJE
Demonstration of Leaf Shield, Crash Bomb, and Metal Blade
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRCmQijRXus

Last edited:

ancara22

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to be getting the demo when it comes out on friday, so I can be able to better help dig deep into that juicy Mega Man tech.

Still, based on what I've seen so far and so forth, I think Mega Man needs to be played a different way. And that way is like you would in the original games he's from. Basically, you use your basic shooter and charged shots, slides and so forth to help you do what you need to do, whilst using your RM weapons for when you need to, based on the situation at hand.

From watching a streamer who actually did do so, it seems the lemons (as most seem to call his normal buster shots) are good for shutting down projectiles, and lets you also keep moving after the first tap of the a button when you keep firing, making it likely a good way to get in. You can also shoot lemons in the air and keep moving forwards after the first one is shot out, so it works both ways. As for his charged shots, they work best for denying re-entry to the stage, and seems to be likely a fairly good kill move. And for the slide, I'll need to test it out, but it could be pretty useful for again, covering ground, and also helping with damage, and dodging attacks from above.

For the B moves, you need to use them like you would in the original games, although a bit differently here:

B - Metal Blade: Always best to throw it down on the ground, and then pick it up. Works like an item then, and both is thrown faster, and deals more damage when you do so. Also seems to go a bit farther when done this way too.
Side B - Crash Bomb: From what a couple people have been saying, this works best with your grab game. You first fire one off at the other guy, and then grab him. While it WILL attach to you when you do so, don't worry. Just do a down-throw, and it'll re-attach to them, whilst allowing it to explode by then, adding damage to your throws.
Up B - Rush Coil: Only use this for returning to the stage. For maximum safety, due to Mega Man being vulnerable after using this in the air, judge the distance of the top to the bottom of the stage's side, and how high of a jump it will give you, and then time it so you'll jump just high enough to grab it safely without fear of being in danger of attacks mostly (other than ledge stuff, of course).
Down B - Leaf Shield: Again, this is helpful for throw damage, as it adds to it when active. It also can, as expected, help against projectiles and the like, but it's fairly slow to come out. Make sure you can predict when your foe is going to throw out a projectile before using one of these. And of course, since it can be thrown as well, it is a bit helpful with denying stage re-entry, but not as much as a charged shot would. Use only if need-be.

I'll need some time to fully check EVERY move he's got, but this is my analysis of him so far, and what I think would help Mega Mains (as I wanna call those maining him) do better with him. Get this as you will, but methinks it should hopefully do.....something, I guess. At least will definitely post more when I get the demo.

YOUNGTWiZ

Smash Rookie
From playing around with mega in the demo I can definitely say hes more unorthodox compared to the rest of the cast. With that being said I find it more rewarding with every win I get. I have been using his back air ALOT and its good if you want to short hop rushdown your opponent and pressure him to death. The only downside is megaman does not have solid defense so if you're facing a good mario, for instance, he can outplay you because he has the better tools for fighting up close. Another good move with potential KO power is his up-tilt (shoryuken) but I only recommend using it after a big whiff or his down throw at low percentage. I haven't really tested his slide out yet but I'm really hoping for some combos because it seems like hes lacking them. All in all, he seems like a keep away type with some versatility. I'm gonna test a few things out and get back to you guys later.

F-ric

Smash Cadet
I think one of Mega Man's best skills is in edgeguarding going off edge with Fair Bair or Dair is great and you can even walk off the edge with f tilt and Nair and it can combo off stage. Another great tool is if you ledge trump immediately ledge jump back air and you can get some nice edge guards. I think Mega Man needs to utilize his metal blade and crash bomb regularly as they both have fast startup and good range. Leaf Shield is probably the most useless attack he has but you can grab while using it and all the leaves will land.

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
I think one of Mega Man's best skills is in edgeguarding going off edge with Fair Bair or Dair is great and you can even walk off the edge with f tilt and Nair and it can combo off stage. Another great tool is if you ledge trump immediately ledge jump back air and you can get some nice edge guards. I think Mega Man needs to utilize his metal blade and crash bomb regularly as they both have fast startup and good range. Leaf Shield is probably the most useless attack he has but you can grab while using it and all the leaves will land.
Initially I was having a lot of problems scoring kills with Mega Man. Trying to kill with smashes is not efficient I think. I agree with you about Mega Man having good edgeguarding capabilities (especially that bair).

F-ric

Smash Cadet
The only problem I have with Bair is consistently landing the big hit, but it's not too hard and usually if you land one you land them all. His smashes are a little odd, pivot forward smash is amazing just run back a little bit then release it uncharged it's very fast and has low start up. Up smash is good for anti-air and possibly down throw follow ups at low percent, I think mega man will have a pretty useful DACUS but I can't do it very well on my 2DS... Down Smash is good for Tech chasing or reading a roll but it is high risk, high reward so use it sparingly.

F-ric

Smash Cadet
Oh and one other thing I found pretty interesting is you can use Rush while on the ground to cancel any aerial landing lag so you can up air on to him then bounce and follow it up, or come down with a hard knuckle and cancel the lag.

And being able to act out of Rush can get you some really cheesy kills off the top.

Last edited:

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
The only problem I have with Bair is consistently landing the big hit, but it's not too hard and usually if you land one you land them all. His smashes are a little odd, pivot forward smash is amazing just run back a little bit then release it uncharged it's very fast and has low start up. Up smash is good for anti-air and possibly down throw follow ups at low percent, I think mega man will have a pretty useful DACUS but I can't do it very well on my 2DS... Down Smash is good for Tech chasing or reading a roll but it is high risk, high reward so use it sparingly.
I've had a few instances where only the first part of Mega's bair hit and the opponent was meteror smashed in a disgusting diagonal direction away from the stage (no stage spike). It has happened more than once for me at this point.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr3IcpdJngM

I tried to upload the crash bomb coil renewal as best I could, had to hold the camera in the same hand as the one pressing the buttons. I figured I'd post it here and let you guys decide whether it was useful or not.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Posted this earlier last night so I will re-post here:

I have been theory crafting with Mega Man like crazy ever since the TLOC tournament ended. My curiosity really started when I was being gimped like crazy by Sheik when all he was doing was her Bair. In hindsight, I feel like I could have used Up-B a bit more than just trying to challenge it but lesson learned. After this happened, off the ledge has all of a sudden become the most interesting part of the game to me. All I want to practice scenarios and follow ups off the ledge.

I feel as if he can have a potentially great gimping game with a high comfort level of the new ledge mechanics. His Bair has crazy good range, priority and knock back. Plus with a decent vertical recovery, he can go fairly deep while making it back to the ledge.Wrapping around the ledge with the circle pad is tough and I executing the aerial Bair would be much similar with a C-Stick but I see myself realizing what I need to work on with him. Punishes and becoming comfortable with playing off stage. I don't see myself committing to off stage the whole time, but I do believe Mega Man can have an extremely threatening presence off stage.
I have also been throwing down Metal Blades and using it as an item. It is fast and stronger when used as an item. So shout outs to ancara22 for being the first to post about it on this thread.
I am also highly recommending that we start using Rush when in a pinch. He seems way better than people give him credit for. Only Leaf Shield feels like a disappointment.

The idea of utilizing Crash Bomb is interesting. I like the idea
, it just needs to be put into practice and actual game situations more often. I can see it popping up characters for another hit (Bair. F-Smash maybe?) Or best case scenario, stage spiking them.

As of right now, I am really content on using Crash Bomb to stick my opponent on stage. It puts pressure on them to make a defensive option and this could be used to approach or grab.

Last edited:

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
I'll be monitoring this thread and hopefully contributing once I get my hands on the demo. I'm really interested to see what Mega Man can do, and his unique, non-intuitive playstyle seems like it requires some experimentation. From a gameplay standpoint, he's such a weird character and there's so much variation in people's initial impressions: I can't help but be intrigued to see how players adapt his skillset.

lilt

Smash Journeyman
Leaf Shield can be used to increase damage while grabbing. But it's not really worth it imo.
Also Metal Blade and Crash Bomb can be spammed alternately pretty fast. Maybe could be used to lower the opponents shield or get him out of defense.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I'll be monitoring this thread and hopefully contributing once I get my hands on the demo. I'm really interested to see what Mega Man can do, and his unique, non-intuitive playstyle seems like it requires some experimentation. From a gameplay standpoint, he's such a weird character and there's so much variation in people's initial impressions: I can't help but be intrigued to see how players adapt his skillset.
His awkward play style is why I think a lot of players are writing him off early. The real truth is, we know very little about this game and are approaching it like Brawl/Melee.

Take Brawl's early Meta for example. Characters among the top were King Dedede, Mr. Game and Watch and ROB were considered top tier at the beginning of the meta. For the first few months, everyone thought Ike was the best character in the game.

The game is going to change. I really can't wait to see how Mega Man develops. He has too much kill potential and tools to be consider a horrible character.

Leaf Shield can be used to increase damage while grabbing. But it's not really worth it imo.
Also Metal Blade and Crash Bomb can be spammed alternately pretty fast. Maybe could be used to lower the opponents shield or get him out of defense.
Once we receive frame data, I will be breaking down Crash Bomb hard core. I went over earlier how I believe it might be the most important special for his offensive play.

Last edited:

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
His awkward play style is why I think a lot of players are writing him off early. The real truth is, we know very little about this game and are approaching it like Brawl/Melee.

Take Brawl's early Meta for example. Characters among the top were King Dedede, Mr. Game and Watch and ROB were considered top tier at the beginning of the meta. For the first few months, everyone thought Ike was the best character in the game.

The game is going to change. I really can't wait to see how Mega Man develops. He has too much kill potential and tools to be consider a horrible character.
Exactly. Early impressions aren't necessarily always accurate, nor are they doomed to be false. In Mega's case there's very little consensus at all. He certainly isn't taking the game by force with any immediately apparent tools or overwhelming strengths, but he definitely has a high learning curve and a lot can be learned from repeated play. Only time will tell where his skill cap will land, but people need to put in the hours to reach that cap first. All I know is that Mega Man is the first character I intend to play in the demo, and in the weeks before release I'll definitely do some fiddling around.

SniperJoestar

Smash Rookie
Slide Slide Slide I cannot stress this enough. Short hop flame sword into a slide has been giving me lead up like crazy Down grab, up smash, up tilt. Megaman has options you just need to play smart and remember his strengths. Dair spacing is a must learn.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
The information we gather in the demo will be good. But receiving information from the full game is highly recommended. If anyone here has the full game or knows of anyone on SB/AiB with the full game, guide them here. The more data/information on Mega Man the better.

Slide Slide Slide I cannot stress this enough. Short hop flame sword into a slide has been giving me lead up like crazy Down grab, up smash, up tilt. Megaman has options you just need to play smart and remember his strengths. Dair spacing is a must learn.
Yeah. Using a move or jump seems to cancel out half of the animation out. The only thing that doesn't seem to work out of it is another slide.

Also can anyone with two systems test and see if the beginning of Mega Man's U-tilt has armor? Sometimes it feels like he does, but at other times, I am unsure. I currently only have the one system.

All the help is welcome. Thank you everyone for being on board!

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
IIRC I connected a slide->utilt at low percents, maybe usmash will work too?

EDIT: Some possible uses for leaf shield I've tried include edge guarding, comboing, and even recovering.

The thing about it is, never shoot it off, let it end on its own. Going by this method, I activate it, and use it for the above.

For reference, when the leaves start spinning the shield stays for almost three seconds, so including the start up animation I'd say about three seconds.

Edge Guarding: Activate the shield, then jump off towards them. Four leaves means four hits, and it leaves you more than enough time to recover. Maybe using this strategy with the Crash Bomb would work somehow?
I can't think of anything, but I just feel like these two things may work together.

Comboing: Run towards them; if they attack it's pretty much a counter as there's still three leaves, meaning you lose one leaf when it's hit. If they do that though, and they're hit with the leaves, you can follow up with another move as soon as the shield ends. If they shield, you can grab for free damage with the leaves, and pull off a throw. Down throw to fsmash seems to work well, on the CPU anyway, as they always use an air dodge, meaning they frame trap themselves into the fsmash.

Recovery:Only to be used from high above, activate the shield and just di towards the stage. It'll absorb hits for you, and if anyone attempts to make contact they'll either hit the leaves, collide with the leaves, or if they time their attack right hit you. It's not the best option, but it is an option, which again leaves more than enough time to recover.

Another Crash bomb idea I just had:

As you recover, stick it to the stage. Normally, there's no point, but if they're chasing you off stage then you may be able to coil into it, then coil again. I just thought of this, no testing what so ever.

Hope I contributed at least a little.

Last edited:

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
I'm in a rush typing this, but I'm glad to see a thread about this made and I'm proud to say that I have the special demo with unlimited uses. At this point in time I've spent over 13 hours playing Mega Man (and only him) and I see a ton of potential in him. I plan to write up a big breakdown on what I find effective from what I've played and I have a bit more positive to say than negative. :)

ancara22

Smash Apprentice
So, we Mega Man 8 then?

Man, the more I think about it, the more we NEED to think more like it's an actual Mega Man game itself. Play like you would there: Don't get close unless you need to, lemons and charged shots are your friend, sliding is very useful, keep in mind most of the basic attacks and tools your opponent can use on you, and use your weapons based on who you're facing, and what works best.

So all in all, play it like a Mega Man game instead of a Smash game, and likely you'll do a lot better. But then again, until I get the game fully (no demo code yet ;_;7 ), I can't be sure yet. Still, I got a hunch this is why so many aren't using him well enough, and thus why everyone thinks he's terrible.

weegee2407

Smash Cadet
In my opinion Mega Man is amazing at edgeguarding and has some of my favorite tools to do so. Fsmash, dsmash, and hard knuckle work great on recovering opponents with their big hitboxes and power. I tend to do worse near the center of the stage as opposed to the ledge, where I feel Mega Man shines.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Can't test right now, but does anyone know if Megaman can slide under any projectiles with dtilt?

TheCrashMan

Smash Rookie
How viable is it using Rush not to escape, but the chase? It seems to me that the insane vertical power of the Air Shooter, combined with the huge jump height given by Rush can lead to some off screen KOs at surprisingly low percentages. Mega Man already seems like a pretty peripheral character, doing much better guarding ledges and the top of the screen than getting KOs from the center, and I feel this can make his top screen game much stronger.

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
From what I can tell, Mega Man's forward smash seems to ignore other projectiles. Like the charge shot will just pass through Mario's fireballs without them colliding with another. Could be useful if you read that the opponent will fire a projectile that you are confident you can trade with.

How viable is it using Rush not to escape, but the chase? It seems to me that the insane vertical power of the Air Shooter, combined with the huge jump height given by Rush can lead to some off screen KOs at surprisingly low percentages.
Unfortunately, I do not think it is very viable. Unlike Sonic, Mega Man has a huge delay after using Rush before he can attack.

Last edited:

Lex Jewthor

Smash Apprentice
Aight so. A few things.

Coming from the demo, Mega Man was the only character that really interested me. HOWEVER, he has a few interesting quirks.

First of all.

Jab / F-tilt / Nair
Alright. These moves are weird, and sadly not too hot as far as moves go. But they do have a few unique properties.

• There is a 'close' hitbox that is closer to Mega Man that does more damage and knockback.
  • Nair auto cancels.
  • Nair and Jab link flawlessly into each other.
  • Pellets are shot in bursts of 3. This is true regardless of how many are still on screen.
  • Pellets eat other small projectiles (Fireball, thunderjolt)
Nair's hitbox is actually kinda good knockback wise. But it's super small. Needs a lot of testing.

Pivot F-tilt
Now, Pivot F-smash is good. But one thing I've really been abusing is actually Mega man's unique F-tilt. Pivot F-tilt allows you to INSTANTLY turn around, fires a jab off, and has you walking forward now. This allows some tricky movement options with him if you're smart about it. The pellet from this also covers any projectiles you may be turning into, and if you condition them with this it can make pivot F-smash MUCH safer.

Metal Blade
This move is easily Mega man's best ranged tool, despite the amount of them he has. You can throw it down and pick it up like an item. However I'm not entirely sold on this all the time. It limits you from using your normal moves, and Mega man's other specials aren't as good. Additionally, you can't angle the throws this way. It is definitely a good option early on, but don't discount the normal B-throw.

Aerials
Fair seems good, but make sure to space it if using it short hopped as even if it hits it can be grabbed at low percents. Works better as a 'combo' move mid air than it does as an approach.

Bair is amazing. Easily one of his best moves. It kills, it does good damage, is fast, multihits, eats projectiles.

Uair is nifty. I've killed people with it but I'm not sure how it works on the receiving end. Doesn't seem to have a close hitbox near mega man but needs more testing.

Dair could use testing as a short hop approach option. You have a lot of horizontal movement while using it. You can easily go behind shields with this. The spike is only active when the fist is separated from mega man. Kinda hard to hit with.

MM720

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM720
3DS FC
0259-0380-4806
IGNORE/DELETE THIS

Last edited:

MM720

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM720
3DS FC
0259-0380-4806
Like I said in another thread, I think having a picked-up Metal Blade alongside a Leaf Shield can be viable (mindgames and approaching) and I'm trying to see if Leaf Shield has more practical uses. I don't want it to end up as a move that almost nobody uses (kinda like Sheik's Chain).

Fair is good to edgeguard with due to it having more range than bair, but bair is better for outright KOS

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Not sure if this is advanced, but using his DAir after Jumping, Double-Jumping or using his Up B makes him sorta float in place for a little bit while being able to move left and right, ala Peach. (Works longest with Jump/DJump, doesn't work as long with Up B)

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Pretty sure his uair autocancels, and if it does it can be followed up with another.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
So far, everyone's been talking about the moves and techniques we've discovered for our new main.
I'd like to address some weaknesses that I noticed so that we can find ways around them.

I noticed that Megaman's lemon shots, his smash attack, and all of his special projectiles can be deflected like normal projectiles. This means that Mario/Star Animals can deflect his smash attack back at him at any time. It's like giving Marth a counter with no lag. This also means that Villager can stuff his fully charged smash attack into his pocket and unleash it instantly at a later time.

I think this will hurt his viability at top tier. What can we do to overcome this?

TheCrashMan

Smash Rookie
I'm really hoping this is where the Skull Barrier shines. Being able to counter reflect the enemy's reflects will be incredibly useful if it comes out fast enough.

chumlord

Smash Cadet
NNID
chumlord
If you up-tilt near the ledge you can grab the ledge when falling down...

I think the final hit on the U-air is the hit that sends them up the furthest, so if you can space it right you should be able to kill

(
edit) it seems like u-air sends them furthest when you catch them in the very beginning of the tornado...make them your puppet ;)

(edit 2) I do not understand U-air at all

Last edited:

Mayday

Smash Cadet
Mega Man's jab is great at spacing. His best move imo.

Also, Leaf Shield has an active hitbox while you roll and shield. It's completely useless, but you can troll by rolling back and forth through someone with Leaf Shield up. Does like 8% total

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
uair doesn't autocancel, sorry guys.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
My finds:

Ftilt-grab doesnt work on good players - lag after the third tilt prevents you from landing a grab, as the hitstun ends before your lag ends. Players can spotdodge, jab, or grab you. This will become a read-dependant string situation, much like kirby and fox's dair followup strings in brawl. What I mean is, if the opponent thinks you are going to grab after ftilt, you can spotdodge instead and then grab, or spotdodge and dtilt, or roll and start a new string. Youll have to gamble and mix it up after ftilting up close, cant rely on grabbing.

His fair works as a traditional nair, due to the hitbox that extends behind him and how long it lasts.

D-tilting to dodge or maneuver instead of rolls keeps megaman unpredictable and unique in terms of movement compared to other characters.

Fair-dtilt, ftilt-dtilt, bair-dtilt - etc. They work great and are hard to punish on shield due to dtilts movement properties and long lasting hitbox.

Leaf shield dodge dancing is interesting and works as a way to approach into a grab (or just let it die). Not sure how effective leaf shield is as preventing grabs, but you can likely leaf shield and then shield spam or roll spam to force the enemy to figure out a way to poke you.

Megamans main strength is his ability to scramble the enemy player, interrupt them, and force them into playing differently.

He doesn't utilize simple 'projectile reflect shield' or 'projectile spam' or 'counter attack' tools to mess up the opponent's strategies. Instead, he uses more unorthodox counter-strategy tools.

Also, his offstage game is brilliant. For the players who can main him hardcore will do well at being a unique opponent, much like jigglypuff opponents.

However, i believe the way you have to learn to control him doesnt really translate to other characters, and may make you worse with them in a way. I mean if megaman ever begins feeling "natural" to control to you, that likely means other characters will feel unnatural or not as comfortable anymore. You gotta dedicate yourself to Megaman, I envision.

Last edited:

iiGGYxD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iiGGYxD
3DS FC
0447-7543-7353
I've been playing the game since it's release friday almost nonstop. Megaman is definitely better than people give him credit for, his playstyle just takes time to get used to. I didn't read everything posted here so sorry if i just bring up information that has already been stated.

One thing I love is that you can double jump after his upb (assuming you haven't used a double jump already) this gives him a really good recovery option as you can upb to recover high, and then use any of your items to cover your descent. His pivot fsmash is great to catch landings especially bad airdodges( this is kind of hard to do on a 3ds however..I tend to pivot ftilt a lot by accident trying to get a fsmash out). I'll post a vid of me playing a match so you guys can get an idea of how I've been using him. I'm looking to make this character one of my mains for sure he's a lot of fun!

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Yes, up-b and THEN double jump is a unique megaman-movement option and can throw players off.

Last edited:

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
I don't know if anyone said this but Megaman's jab does more damage the closer you are to the opponent and does 1% more damage when your in the air.

Top Bottom