• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Light Labs: Mega Man Advance Techniques Discovery Thread

Red Scarf

Smash Rookie
I wonder if you grab the ledge with Leaf Shield if it will prevent the opponent from ledge snapping and stealing the ledge
Seems kind of dangerous seeing as how if you mess up you will not have any time to recover.

Last edited:

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
I've found some success using Leaf Shield as an anti-juggle.

If you're high in the air (either from getting hit or using Rush) trigger Leaf Shield at the apex of your rise. If your opponent tries to juggle you fast fall dodge toward them. The leaves' hitboxes will cancel moves like Mario's nair and do damage, leaving you unscathed and under or to the side of your opponent.

If you time it REALLY well, the leaves will disappear after the air dodge is complete and you can follow up with one of your aerials.

Red Scarf

Smash Rookie
I've found some success using Leaf Shield as an anti-juggle.

If you're high in the air (either from getting hit or using Rush) trigger Leaf Shield at the apex of your rise. If your opponent tries to juggle you fast fall dodge toward them. The leaves' hitboxes will cancel moves like Mario's nair and do damage, leaving you unscathed and under or to the side of your opponent.

If you time it REALLY well, the leaves will disappear after the air dodge is complete and you can follow up with one of your aerials.
That seems like a really good technique if executed properly, and while we're on the subject of leaf shields does anyone else use a sort bum rush technique where you set up a leaf shield dart towards you opponent while ignoring projectiles and the grabbing them. I love doing that.

Mayday

Smash Cadet
Leaf Shield ledge grab will stop opponents from stealing the ledge, but gives them their Up B back. You can follow up with a Bair before they can up B if Leaf Shield runs out at the right time. Kills at low percents, but really hard to do. Only tested on Mario. Doubt it will work on everyone

Last edited:

Red Scarf

Smash Rookie
Leaf Shield ledge grab will stop opponents from stealing the ledge, but gives them their Up B back. You can follow up with a Bair before they can up B if Leaf Shield runs out at the right time. Kills at low percents, but really hard to do. Only tested on Mario. Doubt it will work on everyone
Seems a bit too situational for me.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I've been messing with Z-dropping the saw blade a lot recently and found some interesting stuff:

-At low %s, short hopping over the opponent and dropping the saw blade allows you to combo it into a Usmash.

-SH Nair can pick up a saw blade on the ground. If you started pellets this way, you can also shoot out the rest of your pellets even if you are holding the saw blade.
This means using SH Nair to pick up the saw gives you the ability to approach/retreat/harass the enemy, then land while holding an item that you can then glide toss forward to continue pressure (Useful if you've been wrecking their shield) or backwards to make space while continuing to harass the opponent.
Additionally, if you want to keep the saw blade still, you can SH again after you land, Z-drop it and immediately FF Nair again to pick it back up while throwing more pellets out (This is kind of hard to do but doable). If you have trouble with that, you can just drop it, do more pellets, then use a Nair, Fair or Bair to pick it back up after you land, but you run the risk of it disappearing and leave a slight gap in your projectiles.

This technique allows us to pressure the opponent with lemons while keeping the option to glide toss the blade open.

Kef

Smash Apprentice
Good stuff fro, will definitively mess around with that on Friday. I was also wondering if you could glide toss in this game, it's good to know that you can.

iiGGYxD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iiGGYxD
3DS FC
0447-7543-7353
I'm liking all of these ideas everyone is posting, It seems like the more we play the more we find different ways to use the many tools this guy has. I'll need to start using the leaf shield to cover my fall like mentioned above, I'd probably say the weakest part of my game right now is my struggle with getting back to the ground from a juggle D:..Hopefully i can remember everything i've read and try to apply it in my game soon xD..

F-ric

Smash Cadet
The problem with using the leaf shield from high is if you get knocked off you cannot up b so it's risky unless you do it very high so it runs out.

I'm also having trouble glide tossing on this version can anyone help me out with it?

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
The problem with using the leaf shield from high is if you get knocked off you cannot up b so it's risky unless you do it very high so it runs out.

I'm also having trouble glide tossing on this version can anyone help me out with it?
Yeah, using Lead Shield after an upB is probably too risky. I find it's best to do it after you've been knocked relatively high and need a way to get back to the ground. His dair can be nice for attacking would be jugglers but if you whiff it's easy to punish.

Fromundman's nair item pick up is a neat discovery. I'm having fun goofing around with it.

MegaMan doesn't really seem to move at all when he glide tosses, though, at least not when I do it. Maybe I'm just timing it wrong?

Is glide tossing really any faster tossing out of a shield than just tossing it normally or pivot tossing it?

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Glide tossing doesn't determine how fast the item is being thrown. It just shifts the character's momentum in the direction he is glide tossing in. (Forward or backwards) Mega Man does not have a very good glide toss at all. (From what I have experienced)

What I am interested in learning is if DACUS returns in Smash 4 and if Mega Man can do it. We probably will not know until the Wii U version comes out.

I also have been just jumping away with Rush any time I feel pressured by a character combo-ing me on stage. I might be completely wrong but I don't have many good things to say about Leaf Shield at the moment. Again, I could be completely wrong but I need to see how you guys are utilizing it in order to have faith in it.

I have just started work this week and have been working full time so sorry for the lack of posts on my end. I will read through everything right now and answer anything that appears unanswered. I will also update the acronym's list for easier discussion for new players and new Mega Mains.

-At low %s, short hopping over the opponent and dropping the saw blade allows you to combo it into a Usmash.
I have been playing around with this. It seems very high risk/high reward but it's fun to land it. Again, you can only play Level 9's so much before telling yourself, "no one would ever play like this." So I will have to try it out against actual people later.

I've been working on a combo with megaman. You can "jab reset" a missed tech with his jab / f-tilt. A basic combo is dash attack (if they miss the tech after dash attack) f-tilt which causes the getup animation, from here you can either charge up an upsmash, fsmash, dsmash and this will get you around 30%(I'd recommend upsmash as downsmash at low percent wont send then far and you'll get punished with the moves cooldown).

What I'm trying to mess with is hitting their get up with a double jump dair > autocancel land> footstool while they're in stun into another dair. I believe you can loop the footstool dair footstool but it is really tricky to pull off. I'll try to have a video of this up later today when im off work. Also, the combo starter > dash attack to f-tilt only works on medium to heavy weight characters. Lighter characters dont hit the ground and are able to double jump after being hit by dash attack.
I really like these ideas. I would like to see videos of these really soon.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Thanks for the zdrop idea
fromundaman.

Grounded Footstool->Zdropped gear->Fair appears to work, at any percent too.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
When I say Glide toss, I am probably using the wrong term (Been a while since I played Brawl) but I mean the jump canceled item toss thing that acts like a glide toss. Glide tossing the way we did it in Brawl (roll canceled) seems ineffective for Megaman (Is it even still a thing in this game in general?).

By doing it that way you get decent distance.

EDIT:

Also I mentioned it earlier, but Z-dropping the saw over the ledge helps with edgeguarding IMO.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
When I say Glide toss, I am probably using the wrong term (Been a while since I played Brawl) but I mean the jump canceled item toss thing that acts like a glide toss. Glide tossing the way we did it in Brawl (roll canceled) seems ineffective for Megaman (Is it even still a thing in this game in general?).

By doing it that way you get decent distance.
Yeah. Glide Tossing is in this game. I have to admit, I am unfamiliar with jump cancel item throw. (At least the verbiage)

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Yeah. Glide Tossing is in this game. I have to admit, I am unfamiliar with jump cancel item throw. (At least the verbiage)
I forget the exact term, but I mean when you have an item in your hands and press jump, attack and a direction nearly at the same time which results in something much like a glide toss. It's what Kirby had to use in Brawl since his glide toss sucked.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I forget the exact term, but I mean when you have an item in your hands and press jump, attack and a direction nearly at the same time which results in something much like a glide toss. It's what Kirby had to use in Brawl since his glide toss sucked.
Ok. I'm actually getting down pretty simply now. It's looks really familiar to a GT. Maybe there really wasn't glide tossing and it was just this.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Ok, I came up with a fun technique riffing off of @ fromundaman fromundaman 's z-dropping.

I call it the RAR blade drop.

With a blade in hand, run forward, and perform the sticking you would for a RAR, but instead of doing a bair let the stick return to neutral and z-drop. If done correctly Megaman will turn around midair and drop the blade behind him.

From here you have a few options.

1) Immediately bair. If done correctly, you'll pick up the blade again in midair. You can then pressure with a blade toss as soon as the bair animation is completed. This makes it much easier to quickly turn and attack out of bair.

2) Turn and grab. If your opponent tried to shield the falling blade, the blade should flinch him long enough for you to grab without too much danger.

3) Combo into a dash attack. If the blade connects, immediately follow up with a dash attack and you'll get a guaranteed hit at non-high percentages. You should pick up the blade off the ground while spinning; you can then follow up your dash attack with a blade throw.

4) Combo into a fsmash. Against some weights and percentages it seems that the blade drop can combo directly into a quick fsmash attack and there's not much the other guy can do about it.

This seems like it might be a useful technique for approaching while stuffing opponents' short hops. Lot of mind game potential as well. It's good both at short hop and full hop heights depending on situation.

Mayday

Smash Cadet
Well Mega Man can Z drop a Metal Blade in air and immediately air dodge grab it. Trying to find out how long the hitbox for the Metal Blade stays out.

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Since I currently have no one nearby to test this with, someone confirm or debunk this for me:

Does UpB stop momentum? AKA if you get launched, is UpB the best way to cancel momentum for survival, especially since you keep your double jump?

Mayday

Smash Cadet
Since I currently have no one nearby to test this with, someone confirm or debunk this for me:

Does UpB stop momentum? AKA if you get launched, is UpB the best way to cancel momentum for survival, especially since you keep your double jump?
Up B does cancel momentum, but doesn't double jump cancel momentum too? Don't see many situations where I would rather Up B to stop momentum than double jump, except as a mindgame. Could be a good way to mix up your recoveries.

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Up B does cancel momentum, but doesn't double jump cancel momentum too? Don't see many situations where I would rather Up B to stop momentum than double jump, except as a mindgame. Could be a good way to mix up your recoveries.
Do they? They didn't in Brawl so IDK.

I thought we might have our own version of Bucket Braking in the game, but I might have gotten excited over nothing.

Mayday

Smash Cadet
Do they? They didn't in Brawl so IDK.

I thought we might have our own version of Bucket Braking in the game, but I might have gotten excited over nothing.
After the hitstun and launcher animation wears off, you can cancel momentum with double jump. Same with Up B, so no Bucket Braking. Would have made Mega Man really good though

Phyr

Smash Journeyman
Happy to see that i'm not the only one who sees pellet spamming as the best form to use Megaman. They clash into many attacks/proyectiles and can be used in almost any height and without lag (using jumps for avoiding downtime).

Still, i have found a lot of trouble punishing hit and run tactics. Pellets do really little damage and have short range, so they are not very good if the opponent just runs away from you. Specially had problems with a Mario player from here, who just got a dash attack or a jab string and reset back to neutral position. It usually finished outdamaging me, and without him commiting i don't see any way to kill him. Every match finished in time over with him winning by percentage. Any thoughts how to deal with it? I thought that one way is to just do it better, because i have the upper hand with the proyectile, but i'm looking also to ways to punish his landings when he spams fireballs and such.

Cook

Smash Master
Dash attack and down tilt! If he's running away from you, he either has to jump over you or roll behind you at some point. Both those moves seem pretty gr8 for punishing landing and rolls!

In general if you play someone who is running away it comes down to whether you can follow their patterns and predict how they're gonna run away, then intercept.

Chaos Archangel

Smash Cadet
I love this thread. Its inspired me to main megaman. And the things I've learned from reading woulda taken me a while to discover on my own.

Great stuff guys.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Pivoted dtilt is pretty good for dodging projectiles, and it could hit them at about a mid range. I learned to dtilt without crouching in Brawl, and it can apply here nicely as well, to get your move out faster.

Doctor Pink

Smash Apprentice
Not sure if this is known or not, but due to Jab/Ftilt being jump cancelable, you can stand at max distance and do SH Nair, fast fall Nair, Jab, short hop, repeat. You can Also do Ftilt and short hop on the third shot and do something else. If you repeat the short hop nair/jab patterns, you can all but immobilize most characters(when they're shielding). This forces them to act, allowing for a free punish if you react properly. I use Crash Bomber for punishing rolls in this situation, or if I know I can't punish, I can at least set a metal blade on the ground in front of me to reinforce my neutral game.

Last edited:

Mayday

Smash Cadet
I wasn't even planning on maining Mega Man, but after everyone said he was the worst in the demo, I had to try learning him. At the very least, learning Mega Main will give me a really good CP option against several characters. Totally worth it.

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Sorry if this is a repeat, but has anyone else noticed that using Rush Coil removes move lag? For example, if you Rush Coil and use Air Shooter just before you spring off of Rush again you can immediately use Air Shooter a second time without the normal move lag Air shooter causes! If done right, you can spam aerial Uair and KO opponents through the ceiling! I love doing this with Villager in the demo, he always seems to try to be above me, lol.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Another Crash Bomb idea I've been messing with, stick it to them, then grab and pummel until it explodes. I've had it knock me into the right range to use bair, and when it started approaching the 100%s, uair. I'm not sure if it's guaranteed, but it's definitely unexpected.

Red Scarf

Smash Rookie
Sorry if this is a repeat, but has anyone else noticed that using Rush Coil removes move lag? For example, if you Rush Coil and use Air Shooter just before you spring off of Rush again you can immediately use Air Shooter a second time without the normal move lag Air shooter causes! If done right, you can spam aerial Utilt and KO opponents through the ceiling! I love doing this with Villager in the demo, he always seems to try to be above me, lol.
Not going to lie, there's a great satisfaction of KOing someone at around 60% with your up air, especially Villager!

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Here's the combo:

RC - > Uair a little before landing on spring - > spring - > Uair - > mid air jump - > Uair. If it works you'll combo upward and possibly KO!

:D

Last edited:

Red Scarf

Smash Rookie
I just noticed something about the back air(slash man's weapon?). When you hit your opponent with two of the slashes( It does three to complete it, a yellow, purple, then blue one.) at the very edge it sends them straight down. I still need to test this more.

Last edited:

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
I've never seen this spike and I use that move ALL the time! I'll try to get it to spike and let you guys know what I find as well.

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Ok! It isn't a spike I don't think as it doesn't send the opponent down with any gusto, but if two of the three slashes hit it can indeed send an airborne opponent downward.

I was only able to get it to occur once, and that was when Link interrupted my third slash so he only got hit with two, lol.

Top Bottom