• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Light Labs: Mega Man Advance Techniques Discovery Thread

BBC7

Smash Ace
You can use the three pellets at once. You just have to jump cancel the third one so there is no lag!! so like shoot three then go for a SH F-air, retreating jump, or a footstool.
I know, although just shooting 2 pellets ensures you don't have to make any sort of retreat.

K-45

Smash Journeyman
A small little combo I found that always seem to work on lower %. First u grab then throw them down and follow up with his Up-A should be able to hit a upper cut every time and it's a free 18 damage for a head start. Haven't tested on human players so I don't know if they can air dodge.

Squii The Fish

Smash Journeyman
as a follow up to this just did this by accident but you can actually air dodge and pick up a metal blade if thrown down as well which is interesting as you could predict an attack throw a blade down and travel with it dodge the attack and have an item metal blade to use for free
i have been playing around with that a lot lately actually.

Another thingabout metalblade that you all have probably figured out by now.

Neutral B (near you)-> Pick up Item-> short hop+Dthrow+fast fall->jump+Lemons of any nature

Megaman has a special state where he picks the blade up the ground and can still fire off buster rounds. All you need to do is pick up the item while in the middle of his jab chain. Seems to work better while jumping so throwing the metal blade down while airborne is pretty tight.

Also is metalblade completely random when it disappears after picking it up or are there some factors that determine how long it stays out? JCT Metalblading is such a sick tech and I wish to find a way to make a bit more reliable.

But yeah for the record picking metalblade is VERY good if that has yet to be established already.

Last edited:

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
You can use the three pellets at once. You just have to jump cancel the third one so there is no lag!! so like shoot three then go for a SH F-air, retreating jump, or a footstool.
Don't forget you can simply run backward and pivot into a smash or another jab combo.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Also is metalblade completely random when it disappears after picking it up or are there some factors that determine how long it stays out?

But yeah for the record picking metalblade is VERY good if that has yet to be established already.
As I said before, you can pick it up INFINITELY as long as you keep throwing it into the ground. Of course, you wouldn't want to be doing it the entire match since the opponent will eventually try to pick it up and throw it away.

CatcherAndTheRai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CatcherAndTheRai
I know, although just shooting 2 pellets ensures you don't have to make any sort of retreat.
I must be doing something wrong because I get the same amount of lag with shooting two as i do when i shoot three. for example, the grab out of the F-tilt Lemons is the same lag between the one lemon difference. But again, I may be doing it wrong.

As I said before, you can pick it up INFINITELY as long as you keep throwing it into the ground. Of course, you wouldn't want to be doing it the entire match since the opponent will eventually try to pick it up and throw it away.
I also must be doing something wrong because mine disappears after awhile. even when throwing it at the ground. The time of lasting on it also seems to be random. Again, I may be doing something wrong.

BBC7

Smash Ace
I must be doing something wrong because I get the same amount of lag with shooting two as i do when i shoot three. for example, the grab out of the F-tilt Lemons is the same lag between the one lemon difference. But again, I may be doing it wrong.
I notice it, it's minimal although still there. Try Jab lemons instead of F-Tilt lemons.

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
I also must be doing something wrong because mine disappears after awhile. even when throwing it at the ground. The time of lasting on it also seems to be random. Again, I may be doing something wrong.
Ok, I think you're throwing it too soon. Once you Bthrow it into the ground, you can either wait about a full second before picking up again or if you already picked it up, wait awhile before throwing it. To get a feel for the timing, I suggest double jumping after picking it up and I believe at the peak of your height, throw it down.

Squii The Fish

Smash Journeyman
Ok, I think you're throwing it too soon. Once you Bthrow it into the ground, you can either wait about a full second before picking up again or if you already picked it up, wait awhile before throwing it. To get a feel for the timing, I suggest double jumping after picking it up and I believe at the peak of your height, throw it down.
So JCT metalblading relies on the #Yolo factor. Oh well then.

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
The riskiness (wait, that's a word?) of JCT Metal Blade may just very well vary depending on the MU and how the match plays out.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
JCT Metal Blade downward i'd only recommend for situational combos up close, in all other scenarios I recommend JCT Skid Pivot Tossing or JCT Pivot Tossing(The difference being a bit more slide on the skid.). It's a pretty safe option when used properly.

CatcherAndTheRai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CatcherAndTheRai
I notice it, it's minimal although still there. Try Jab lemons instead of F-Tilt lemons.
The only thing I can do out of 2 lemons instead of three is walking. and you still have to lag. the amount of time it takes to be able to shield or grab is the same as 3 lemons. and if you hit L too fast after the 2nd it will activate the third. and if you do an aerial out of the second lemon, why not just use three? I don't know. This just isn't making much sense to be honest.

whats the difference between:

~Walking foward after the second lemon, and getting punished for lag.
~Walking backwards and retreating after the second lemon.

-or-

~jump canceling after the third lemon to have much more options(i.e. aerials, specials, etc.)
~jumping and retreating.

both of the latter can be done after the 2nd or 3rd lemon, but why not just tack on that extra 2%?

Maybe im not explaining it well enough.

Doval

Smash Lord
I agree with CatcherAndTheRai. If you have access to two 3DS, you can see that the amount of lag after each pellet is the same, regardless of whether you're standing, running, or jumping. And regardless of how many you shoot, unless your last hit is a sweetspotted n-air, the enemy will always be able to act sooner than you. The best strategy is to shoot while moving forward to increase the frequency of the hits and then jump away so you're not around the enemy during your post-shooting lag. The only time I'd fire less than 3 is if you notice immediately that the enemy rolled.

Last edited:

CatcherAndTheRai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CatcherAndTheRai
How does one "jump cancel?" :joyful:
if you are talking about with lemons. after you shoot you can cancel the lag by jumping. and jump canceled throw, well theres a thread about it. you basically press X>A almost at the same time while holding the MB. its a good retreating tech to put you in a good position.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I know how to J.C. consistently, but I what are the benefits to this as opposed to throwing MB normally?

V_x_I_D

Smash Apprentice
NNID
V_x_I_D
Guys, I've been playing the demo and I've found two neat little combos (If you want to call them that)
Short hop -> Fair, Short hop -> Fair, Short hop -> Fair.
What I've noticed is that if Fair hit the opponent is stunned and if you act fast enough you can pretty much do this across the whole map.

His Bair is awesome, too.
Run up to opponent, do a quick turnaround before short hopping and busting out a Bair on your opponent.
I've also noticed that Megaman will land facing away from the opponent after the Bair. and by taking in his jumping momentum you can chain this attack similar the the Fair combo above.
SO
You can litterally short hop -> Bair, Short hop -> Bair, Short hop -> Bair across the map as well.
It's a little more difficult but it's a neato move.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I know how to J.C. consistently, but I what are the benefits to this as opposed to throwing MB normally?
It allows you to put more distance between opponents, has combo potential(Albeit situational), and is overall just a good micup.

It's by no means necessary, but I use it all the time to help maintain distance with projectiles. I rarely, if ever make any sort of combo out of it.

Doval

Smash Lord
if you are talking about with lemons. after you shoot you can cancel the lag by jumping. and jump canceled throw, well theres a thread about it.
To be clear, you still have to wait out the lag. It's just that you can jump away during the lag so your opponent doesn't get a chance to hit you until it's over and you're free to use other moves.

Slightly unrelated but it seems grouded shots and jumping shots count separately for the purposes of Stale Moves. I shot 9+ bursts of ground shots at the CPU and a sweetspotted n-air still did the full 4%.

Last edited:

BBC7

Smash Ace
I have a combo, by the way. Or at least I think it's one

Down Throw + Fair + Slide + Mega Upper for around 30% damage, although you can still continue the combo with other moves

By the way, how is the JCMB supposed to look when you execute it properly? How strict is the timing?

Last edited:

simpleglitch

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1907-8424-2856
I have a combo, by the way. Or at least I think it's one

Down Throw + Fair + Slide + Mega Upper for around 30% damage, although you can still continue the combo with other moves

By the way, how is the JCMB supposed to look when you execute it properly? How strict is the timing?
Mario seems able to escape the Fair, Might work on Link though at low percents (the fair) but I think he can escape the later moves. I don't think I will be able to tell until I have access to training mode and can slow the game down.

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Don't know if a thread even exists for this, but YOLO:
I propose new names for Mega Man's pellet shooting moves:
Jab= Standing Buster (SBuster)
Ftilt= Moving Buster (MBuster)
Nair= Jumping Buster (JBuster)

Sounds cheesy, but I feel that we need alt. names specific to his pellet shooting. I feel the traditional names/acronyms are too vague and unfitting for him, and he's not an ordinary fighter. Needs to be catchy and make sense.

Mythmatic

Smash Rookie
From what I've gathered from the demo, Megaman belongs in the air. His air superiority feels like Marth's, except with greater horizontal movement.

Also, I've been shooting crash bombs onto the edge of the stages. It rarely explodes in time, but when it does, it sets me up for a spike or a charge shot. So satisfying

Doval

Smash Lord
I think I've cracked how the buster works for the purposes of Stale Moves penalties:
  • Each 1-3 pellet burst counts as a single attack.
  • Jab and f-tilt count as the same move for Stale Moves.
  • Which attack a burst counts as is determined by whether you're grounded or airborne when you hit A. If you start the attack in the air, it counts as n-air even if you do it so low that you land before the first shot comes out, and even if your aerial shots miss and you end up hitting with grounded shots. Likewise, if you hit A while grounded it counts as jab/f-tilt even if you jump immediately and the first shot comes out in the air, or your ground shots miss and you jump and hit with aerial shots.
For example, if you land 9 jabs/f-tilts on the opponent (which puts it at maximum staleness), and then do f-tilt -> n-air -> n-air, the n-airs will only do 1% (even sweetspotted) because they were part of a burst that started on the ground. On the other hand if you then start a burst of shots in the air, they'll all be at maximum freshness and will do full damage even if some of the shots are jabs/f-tilts.

The upshot is that all those times you run at the enemy with f-tilts don't count against your n-airs when you really need them. As a bonus jab/f-tilt spam will keep your other kill moves like Mega Upper or b-air fresh.

Last edited:

Squii The Fish

Smash Journeyman
Guys, I've been playing the demo and I've found two neat little combos (If you want to call them that)
Short hop -> Fair, Short hop -> Fair, Short hop -> Fair.
What I've noticed is that if Fair hit the opponent is stunned and if you act fast enough you can pretty much do this across the whole map.

His Bair is awesome, too.
Run up to opponent, do a quick turnaround before short hopping and busting out a Bair on your opponent.
I've also noticed that Megaman will land facing away from the opponent after the Bair. and by taking in his jumping momentum you can chain this attack similar the the Fair combo above.
SO
You can litterally short hop -> Bair, Short hop -> Bair, Short hop -> Bair across the map as well.
It's a little more difficult but it's a neato move.
I need to experiment with these but they sound very hype, unfortunately vectoring may kill the bair combo. will report back soon thanks for the heads up.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
I don't know if it has already been said, but Crash Bomb seems to cling to shining oponents. Idk, it might be useful.

Last edited:

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
I don't know if it has already been said, but Crash Bomb seems to cling to shining oponents. Idk, it might be useful.
It definitely does! So, when an opponent comes back from being KO'ed and while it is temporarily invincible, stick a crash bomb to 'em! Again, Mega Man is so unique that he works on a different set of rules than other Smash fighters, I love it! :D

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I don't know how well this works on other stages, but I suggest what I call the Constant Charge on Final Destination.

First off, stand near one ledge, facing the other. Make sure your opponent's in range ( and around 30-40%), and use a full F-Smash. Quickly dash to the middle and perform another full charge shot. Dash to the other edge and perform a final full Charge Shot. If he's still alive, finish with a Slash Claw or Hard Knuckle.

V_x_I_D

Smash Apprentice
NNID
V_x_I_D
I need to experiment with these but they sound very hype, unfortunately vectoring may kill the bair combo. will report back soon thanks for the heads up.
Yeah, they're really cool moves and I've been able to perform them on lvl 9 CPUs I don't know how to account for vectoring at all, unfortunately.

Bravo

Smash Cadet
NNID
E.Bravo
3DS FC
0877-2579-3179
Something that I haven't seen mentioned is to approach with your f-tilt (bear with me, that's not all!) in such a way that when the second pellet hits you are at point blank range, then cancel the f-tilt to short hop nair, that way the sweetspot of the nair will hit and actually knock them away.

BBC7

Smash Ace
Is it just me, or is Mario a much harder human opponent than Link?

Many human Links don't have time to just stand and block your projectiles, and they definitely won't always have the timing to shield anything else you throw at them. I usually find that human Links will take a much more offensive approach than the Level 9 CPU because they don't have the same shielding skills, leaving themselves open to your arsenal.

Human Marios, on the other hand, are way bigger threats than Level 9 Mario. They won't just shoot fireballs at you like a dumbass until they realize it won't work, they'll flat out try to make sure you'll can't implement your lemons at all. They'll still go for that annoying Down Throw + U-Tilt combo, although you can escape out of it since you're god damn Mega Man. You can't Side Smash them while they're off the stage because of the cape, although that's something you really couldn't do on Level 9 Mario either. They also rack up damage at a way faster rate than you do. I remember dealing 80% to a friend while at 5% myself, only to be brought up to the same percentage as him because I didn't rush cancel effectively.

simpleglitch

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1907-8424-2856
Human Marios, on the other hand, are way bigger threats than Level 9 Mario. They won't just shoot fireballs at you like a ******* until they realize it won't work, they'll flat out try to make sure you'll can't implement your lemons at all. They'll still go for that annoying Down Throw + U-Tilt combo, although you can escape out of it since you're god damn Mega Man. You can't Side Smash them while they're off the stage because of the cape, although that's something you really couldn't do on Level 9 Mario either. They also rack up damage at a way faster rate than you do. I remember dealing 80% to a friend while at 5% myself, only to be brought up to the same percentage as him because I didn't rush cancel effectively.
If they have fast enough reflexes, you may not be able to gimp them with DAir either. Dair is also reflected by capes. :/

Doval

Smash Lord
Uair is reflectable as well, I'm assuming most don't know and probably won't be able to reflect it even if they do know of it.
If you have enough distance and you keep moving sideways the fist will miss you, so it doesn't hurt to try. The cape only buys them height the first time.

HitokiriBattousai

Smash Rookie

Many human Links don't have time to just stand and block your projectiles, and they definitely won't always have the timing to shield anything else you throw at them. I usually find that human Links will take a much more offensive approach than the Level 9 CPU because they don't have the same shielding skills, leaving themselves open to your arsenal.

Human Marios, on the other hand, are way bigger threats than Level 9 Mario. They won't just shoot fireballs at you like a ******* until they realize it won't work, they'll flat out try to make sure you'll can't implement your lemons at all. They'll still go for that annoying Down Throw + U-Tilt combo, although you can escape out of it since you're god damn Mega Man. You can't Side Smash them while they're off the stage because of the cape, although that's something you really couldn't do on Level 9 Mario either. They also rack up damage at a way faster rate than you do. I remember dealing 80% to a friend while at 5% myself, only to be brought up to the same percentage as him because I didn't rush cancel effectively.

Actually you can side smash Mario cape or no cape. if you space it just right the charge shot can hit them but if reflected it will hit max range and never reach you so try and get a real feel for that range and you won't have to worry as much about your charge shot being reflected back at you

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I tend to say a lot that I'm not a pro player, and that's true. But I'm starting to get decent I think, with Mega Man anyway.

Does anyone know how effective the Leaf Shields are? I know you can set one up and then grab for extra damage, and that's cool. But I haven't seen many people take advantage of having an active hitbox while dodging and blocking. Does anyone else see that as one of Mega Man's best Leaf Shield techs? I think it could be really useful.

Other than that, I think Mega Man would be a really good character for team battles. And he'll be mid-tier or so in most one on one fights.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I tend to say a lot that I'm not a pro player, and that's true. But I'm starting to get decent I think, with Mega Man anyway.

Does anyone know how effective the Leaf Shields are? I know you can set one up and then grab for extra damage, and that's cool. But I haven't seen many people take advantage of having an active hitbox while dodging and blocking. Does anyone else see that as one of Mega Man's best Leaf Shield techs? I think it could be really useful.

Other than that, I think Mega Man would be a really good character for team battles. And he'll be mid-tier or so in most one on one fights.
The only thing I tend to like about Leaf Shield is that his shield is an active hit box.

BBC7

Smash Ace

There's better things you could do with the Leaf Shield, in my opinion. An example is this:

1. Hit someone with the Crash Bomb
2. After the Crash Bomb is attached to the enemy, throw a Metal Blade towards the floor
3. Pick up the Metal Blade
4. Activate Leaf Shield while you have the Metal Blade in your hands(this makes you harder to approach for passing on the Crash Bomb)
5. Wait for the Crash Bomb to explode, and throw your Metal Blade. Decide whether you want to keep your Leaf Shield for pressure or throw it as well.

What this does is that now, you have offensive pressure with your Crash Bomb, Metal Blade, and Leaf Shield.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Using Leaf Shield w/ a Metal Blade in hand is one of my favorite ways to approach. You just shield roll forward like a leafy buzz saw and there's almost nothing they can do about it.

If they try to shield or jump, you let the leaves hold them in place while you grab and pummel.

If they try to shield roll away, you glide toss the Metal Blade immediately followed by the Leaf Shield toss (if it's still up) or combo into someone else (it it's not).

If they try to roll towards/behind you, short hop drop the Metal Blade and pivot throw while they're hit stunned.

I've mentioned this before, but I've also found Leaf Shield useful for getting me safely back to the stage when I've been knocked up high by a usmash/utilt/uair (or a Rush Cancel). Leaf Shield + air dodging + fast fall makes it really hard for someone to juggle you.

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Has any1 been able to determine the priorities of Mega Man's projectiles yet? They seem low just by playing the demo, but I could be wrong.

Top Bottom