• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Light Labs: Mega Man Advance Techniques Discovery Thread

BBC7

Smash Ace
This is a pretty interesting combo I found. People may already know about it, but it's still good to share in case they haven't.

Neutral B ~ Down-Front + Dash Attack + Item Throw, do it in relatively close range.

The damage is not impressive(you'll most likely get 18% at best), but it opens up many followups after performing it successfully.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
aCaptain Norris had found the Air Dodge "Dodge-slide" Mechanic.

Well, it turns out this works with my idea of repeatedly refreshing the jump/up special, meaning any character should be able to do it. I was able to air dodge a few times at the ledge and slide off, opening up many more options.

OnFullTilt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gregolus
I think people might be really sleeping on Forward roll. It's quick and you can act out of it quite soon- I think you could honestly use it as an approach at times (EDIT: I meant more advancing through an attack rather than literally just approaching with it, whoops) . In addition Forward roll to UTilt seems like a doable read/punish that will outright KO your opponent if spaced well. Dash attack and Dtilt make you crossup a shield- if they are shielding you can use one of these moves to go right through them. May be useful since not many characters seem to have quick options behind them. You can also jab lock with FTilt- if you're too far away to capitalize off a single jab reset try FTilting while approaching.

Last edited:

BBC7

Smash Ace
Maybe not an approach option, although it is quick enough to be a dodge option if your opponent has difficulty punishing Rolls. Also, can anyone with a friend check if the combo I suggested is a true combo? It occurred to me that it might not be tight enough and can just be broken out of with a Special Move or even possibly a jump.

OnFullTilt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gregolus
Not going to lie, if forward roll becomes an approach option ever, I'll quit this game.
Perhaps I phrased it wrong, it's not safe nor good if truly using it as an approach option. It's more of an alternate way to advance through an attack- slightly like a parry.

MM720

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM720
3DS FC
0259-0380-4806
One thing people seem to overlook with the Slash Claw is that you can use it to slam opponents into stage walls while they're trying to recover. This is only practical if they're at medium-low percent, or they're someone with a very un-punishable recovery though. Slamming people into walls isn't something new but I hardly ever see people consider it with Megaman.

I've only done it on battlefield (but it probably works on other stages too.) If you can get an opponent off-stage at medium percent or lower then (if they're pretty close) you can just bair them into the wall for a easy KO. However it can backfire if they manage to hit you with a good aerial before you hit them (although then they'll most likely SD if they don't have good recovery/jumps)

It's not very reliable but it's definitely something to consider, and I usually go for the risk (even when playing against my friends who are of above-average skill it works most of the time) :)

Last edited:

OnFullTilt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gregolus
One thing people seem to overlook with the Slash Claw is that you can use it to slam opponents into stage walls while they're trying to recover. This is only practical if they're at medium-low percent, or they're someone with a very un-punishable recovery though. Slamming people into walls isn't something new but I hardly ever see people consider it with Megaman.

I've only done it on battlefield (but it probably works on other stages too.) If you can get an opponent off-stage at medium percent or lower then (if they're pretty close) you can just bair them into the wall for a easy KO. However it can backfire if they manage to hit you with a good aerial before you hit them (although then they'll most likely SD if they don't have good recovery/jumps)

It's not very reliable but it's definitely something to consider, and I usually go for the risk (even when playing against my friends who are of above-average skill it works most of the time) :)
This is actually a pretty common thing that people try- it's called stage spiking because when the opponent slams off the stage it's like the stage itself spiked them. The important thing to realize is that you can "tech" this attack- if you press a shield button when hitting the wall you'll just press yourself off of it a little bit and regain full control of your character without bouncing off the stage. Computers don't tech much which is why you were getting it to work so much unfortunately. It still happens though sometimes even against real people.

EvergreenChameleon

Smash Rookie
Megaman air game is surprisingly good.

His forward air has decent range for a melee attack, high priority, and good knockback. so u can folow up with metal blade or a crash bomb.

His back air is almost as good as his forward air dose more damage and knock back for the cost of timing when to use it.

His up air is also really good cuz it can kill link at 80% just if u hit him on the hight of your 2nd jump. but my main concern here is how predictable it is. Still a really good move but in the competitive seen people can see it coming a mile away I feel.

Finally to talk about his down air/meteor smash. Like everything else it has good range and damage but the time it takes to use it is almost not worth it but from what I've tested from the demo. If a CUP is trying to use his up smash u can cancel it with his down air. Then use the Guts Man Throw to keep them away.

Over all his side airs have gold knockback and damage. As his down and up air have a bunch of killing potential.
Uair is actually easy to land at mid percentages (50-70%) off the Uthrow, and has kill potential even without the height of the second jump. Played the full game for a few days while staying at a resort with Japanese teens, and was both killed and have been able to kill with the combo at as low as 50%.

K-45

Smash Journeyman
Uair is actually easy to land at mid percentages (50-70%) off the Uthrow, and has kill potential even without the height of the second jump. Played the full game for a few days while staying at a resort with Japanese teens, and was both killed and have been able to kill with the combo at as low as 50%.
Ahhhhhhh thanks for clarifying don't have the full game yet so everything I say was from the demo.

Also I would like to mention Megaman's meteor smash as is one of the best in the game I found out. Mostly because it's the only meteor smash with range it makes it really hard for your opponent to recover if they are trying to get up from under the stage. Just the delay of the attack is kind of off setting like most meteor smashs.

Zori

Smash Champion
Not sure if this has been mentioned but I find it better to do 2 pellets on the ground and go for a mix up rather then 3. I say this because the third one has lag so you can actually do 2 pellets on the ground and jump and do a third one to keep momentum. Hopefully this makes sense im really trying to find the right spacing for megaman. I think he can be clutch in the midrange

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
A CBomb blows in 3 seconds, and if timed right you can stick another to them if they're caught in the attack.

BBC7

Smash Ace
By the way, what are the things that humans would realistically do when getting a Crash Bomb attached to them? Here's my list(it involves a surprising amount of Leaf Shield):

1. Hot Potato. They may try to play Hot Potato with it and attempt to pass it on to you. It's usually obvious when they try to do this, giving you a lot of time to react and outspace them. You can try Jabbing and Nairing to annoy them while they have the bomb stuck, go for a possible FSmash if the Hot Potato plan is extremely obvious, or you can surprise them by letting them touch you, then doing a Down-Throw to spread the bomb on them once again. (Since Leaf Shield and Down-Throw go well together, I wonder if this sheds some light on the borderline useless Down B)

2. Shielding. They can attempt to shield it. If they do this, you can stay close and punish with a grab for the few frames that they are stuck shielding due to the explosion. Since this is revolved around grabbing, I believe Down B would help here as well. If you can catch them in the lag, you can Down Throw with your Leaf Shield once again for extra damage. If they are Link, however, they can just stand and disregard the explosion without much lag at all. I wouldn't worry about perfect shielding, since this would be relatively hard to time for a human. (Crash Bomb is horrid against Link anyways, so don't bother)

3. Take it Like a Man. They can take the 8% like a man and disregard 1. and 2, although they can't do this all of them unless they are really content with taking the damage. If you do notice that they are doing this constantly, try to add more attacks their way to prove that maybe this option is kind of bad. They'll lean towards Hot Potato or Shielding, where you can hopefully get your precious Leaf Shield involved in the fight. I really do think that Crash Bomb and Leaf Shield will make a good combo, but that's just me.

4. Ledge Invincibility. If they get hit with it while off-stage, they'll aim for the ledge for invincibility frames. You can edge-guard accordingly to make sure that they don't grab the ledge. You can edge-guard multiple ways. You can jump in with a Bair, Fair, or even Uair at high percents in order to gimp. You can try to use your Metal Blade in conjunction with the Crash Bomb as well. I'm not sure if Leaf Shield would go here, although I did here some people talking about gimping with Leaf Shield. (Probably too risky and ineffective)

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
One of the interesting and unique properties of MegaMan's jab and ftilt is that he retains full ability to move and jump at any time during the move, even when it is in ending lag. You still have to wait out the ending lag before you can use your next attack, of course, but jumping and walking is never limited. Also, if you jump backwards during the jab/ftilt animation you will not switch direction, even if you do it immediately after firing your third pellet.

You can definitely use this to your advantage. It seems you can actually short hop backwards out of a jab combo more quickly than you can put up a shield and/or shield roll the same distance. I've noticed that when the AI perfect shields my pellets at CQC range, they frequently manage to land a hit on me if I attempt to shield (especially if I do so after pellet 3), but almost never hit me if I short hop backwards.

YMMV against humans, of course. Still, it may be good for us to get in the habit of jumping out of a shielded jab/ftilt rather than trying to shield or shield roll away from the counterattack.

Last edited:

CatcherAndTheRai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CatcherAndTheRai
Hey fellow blue bombers! I picked up the demo yesterday, and have already been going in.
Some things I really enjoy doing. (most have been said but I'll just restate them incase we want to discuss more.

1. D-Throw at low percents is literally my best friend. I'd like to know what your favorite follow ups are to it. For me, on another MM I can pull out a D-Throw > TRIPLE F-Air. I am also in love with the D-Throw > Pivot B-Air > Jump B-Air. the timing is wonky for character weight class of link, but I think I am getting it down.

2. Pellets. I need to implement them more. Am I the only one that uses N-Air 1 for the knock back purposes? and any advice on how I should implement them some more into my game.

3. I LOVE offstage play in this game. Probably my favorite thing. and with MM he has the tools to execute it successfully. I love using that close range N-air. I just feel like more people should capitalize on his very solid offstage play.

4. another bread and butter combo that I love is Falling F-Air > D-Tilt > U-Tilt. Not a huge damage racking combo, but it sure is hype to see some combos being made.

And my last topic is one that was already stated, but I can't investigate until I get the full game (I only have US demo)

Dash Attack can lead to jab reset some of the time. I don't know if it is Vector dependent, or it is % based. But after getting the Jab reset, what are you ideal punishes? I'd like to hear the dirtiest ones!!

One last thing, I saw someone posted about a JCT OoS.... what does JCT stand for? Sorry if this is really obvious and I am just oblivious.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
One last thing, I saw someone posted about a JCT OoS.... what does JCT stand for? Sorry if this is really obvious and I am just oblivious.
Jump Cancel Throw.

To execute, hit the stick in a direction with an item in hand (to one side or diagonal side-down) and then hit jump->attack.

I haven't been able to do it OoS though, so maybe there's another way to perform the technique that I'm not aware of.

D_B_S

Smash Lord
Not Sure if this is Discovered or whatever But i have some tech to share

Just a little tech. Im pretty sure people stumbled upon this already.. If not here you go..

You can Netural B into the ground and pick the blade up. You then can leaf sheild.. Doing this give you a nice mind game. If you opponent forces on the blade you can project your leaf shield while still having a solid backup projectile. I thought you guys might like it.

2nd Tech with Megaman was just short hopping and shooting pellets. Reminds me alot of Fox short jump lasers from brawl and melee but it had better momentum for shifting left and right.

BBC7

Smash Ace
Not Sure if this is Discovered or whatever But i have some tech to share

Just a little tech. Im pretty sure people stumbled upon this already.. If not here you go..

You can Netural B into the ground and pick the blade up. You then can leaf sheild.. Doing this give you a nice mind game. If you opponent forces on the blade you can project your leaf shield while still having a solid backup projectile. I thought you guys might like it.

2nd Tech with Megaman was just short hopping and shooting pellets. Reminds me alot of Fox short jump lasers from brawl and melee but it had better momentum for shifting left and right.

Since the pellets are Normals and not Specials, you can actually fastfall while using them. It's possible to Shorthop + Nair + Fastfall + Jab, which is way faster than what you demonstrated. Much harder to perform as well, though.

Another thing I found that's cool is that you can create a sort of "wall effect" with the pellets. By double jumping as high as you can without Rush, and mashing A at the top of your jump while fastfalling, you will shoot 3 pellets. One at the top of your jump, one in the middle and one grounded.

This is not pellet-related, but Up-Smash has a pretty weird hitbox. If you use it while standing right next to someone, it will pull them and hit them for full damage. Even if they are down, so you can use Up-Smash as an oki move if you wish. (Lol)

Still, I'll like your post for showing video. And yes, people have stumbled across the Metal Blade + Leaf Shield trick. Still, you showed video in action so I like it.

HitokiriBattousai

Smash Rookie
i had seen it posted before that Mega Man could pick up metal blades if you down throw then on the way down using N-air and was messing around when i noticed he could do the same with F-air (fairly easy) and B-Air (fairly hard if you try to land it cleanly with all hits) out of a double jump if you throw the blade down at the apex of the jump and follow it down

now its highly situational but it could be useful if you could edgeguard with B-air and grab a metal blade on the way down

as a follow up to this just did this by accident but you can actually air dodge and pick up a metal blade if thrown down as well which is interesting as you could predict an attack throw a blade down and travel with it dodge the attack and have an item metal blade to use for free

BBC7

Smash Ace
Is it just me, or is Fastfall Flame Sword a really good move? It comes out quick and can really catch people off-guard.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Is it just me, or is Fastfall Flame Sword a really good move? It comes out quick and can really catch people off-guard.
I love doing that as i run offstage.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Yay some more helpful tech!

It's been mentioned before that Mega Man can toss out a Metal Blade downward and use NAir to immediately catch it out of the air before it sticks to the ground. I think this can be a really useful technique when fully exploited.

With either a single or double jump, Mega Man is capable of tossing a MB downward, using NAir to catch it, and immediately land into shooting lemons while still holding the blade (I'm calling this "Drop 'n' Shoot"). This is important as for just a moment, you can use an attack you typically can't use while holding an item.

If double jumping, you want to toss the blade downward just after the apex of his second jump. Immediately start pressing NAir to drop 'n' shoot. If single jumping, you want to toss the blade downward almost before the apex of the jump. Timed right, you drop 'n' shoot just as you land. Timed too late and he'll just chuck the blade normally.

The good thing about this is that you get all the applications of lemons (jump canceling, pressuring...) and holding a blade, but you get to initiate it from the air in a very short period.

Know how people were talking about footstool hopping off of grounded targets and item dropping the blade on them for shenanigans? Drop 'n' Shoot makes this easier; Now you can hold your opponent as you approach with lemons and blade in hand, jump-cancel the lemons, and attempt to footstool 'em and drop blades.

The technique is also useful near the ledge. Whether a single or double jump, you can lemon them then immediately have a blade to chuck at them to further set them up for edgeguarding.

I hope people try this out and see if anything else can be gained from this (you don't have to call it "drop 'n' shoot" either... >_>)

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Sure, I'll humor you :)

I find that you don't actually need two full jumps to pull off the "Drop 'n' Shoot." One short hop + full hop is all you need if you time it right. If going straight up, time the throw at the apex of second jump; if moving forward or backwards, start the throw before the apex.

This is nice I find because it lets you work the Drop 'n' Shoot into your short hop lemon game, making it a little less predictable when it comes out.

Incidentally, I find similar timing works quite nicely for getting Leaf Shield out. Alternating between pellets, Drop 'n' Shoot, and Hop 'n' Leaf gives you a lot of unpredictability to your approach.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
Freaking Mega-man is like Dhasim. I can see him having a very zoning based style. Spiking with the D-air feels O So Very nice

Commander Hen

Smash Rookie
Don't know if this has been said but I'll say it anyway.

We all know that phantom lag is back after using an Up-B, but I found out that you can actually cancel it with Megaman. After using Up-B, just use n-air and run it into f-tilt and you will "store" the phantom lag. Next time you land on the ground though you will suffer the phantom lag and it will add some extra lag to the normal landing-mid-aerial-move lag.

But I also found out that if you grab on the ledge while holding the "stored" lag, it goes away completely.

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q58f1kHIa_Y

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504

We all know that phantom lag is back after using an Up-B, but I found out that you can actually cancel it with Megaman. After using Up-B, just use n-air and run it into f-tilt and you will "store" the phantom lag. Next time you land on the ground though you will suffer the phantom lag and it will add some extra lag to the normal landing-mid-aerial-move lag.

But I also found out that if you grab on the ledge while holding the "stored" lag, it goes away completely.

Video:
I knew the nair trick, but didn't know the ledge always removed it, so thanks a bunch.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643

Video:
Excellent discovery!

Last edited:

Doval

Smash Lord
Some of my own observations from the demo:

The only way to combo ground lemons is if you start it at close range and move forward as you shoot. It doesn't matter if the initial hit is the strong jab hit you get when stationary or a regular f-tilt shot, but you absolutely need to use the Doppler effect or the lemons won't hit frequently enough. You also have enough time to short hop the third lemon for the strong n-air hitbox. After a successful combo you'll be passing through them; you might be able to z-drop a Metal Blade on them if you had picked one up during the attack. If they block, they have enough time to sidestep or roll but probably not enough to counter in any way, especially if you jump backwards after the third shot.

Neither version of Metal Blade gets penalized by stale moves so you get the full 3+3% or 5+5% every time.

When practising against Sandbag I noticed that F-air actually has 3 hitboxes. The initial hit does 9% with the tip but 8% if you're really close, and there's an extra weak sourspot that does 5% if you hit during the last frames. The easiest way to get the sourspot is to full jump f-air and wait a little before fast falling.

You can act immediately after Leaf Shield ends. Since it still hits while you're rolling, you might be able to time it so it ends right after a roll and follow up with an attack.

It takes Crash Bomber a little while to become transferable. There's just enough time to grab and throw without it sticking to you. Alternatively, if you land a dash attack immediately afterwards, it'll transfer to you and back to them. D-tilt will also hit them without it transferring to you. In all cases the bomb will go off while you're recovering from the end lag, so you can probably follow up with something, especially if you picked up a Metal Blade with the dash attack. However, you might end up with the bomb if they block the dash attack or d-tilt.

Each 3-lemon burst counts as a single attack for the purposes of Stale Moves penalties. Same with Leaf Shield's leaves.

Finally, lemons will block even fully charged arrows from Link, even though the arrows do 12% and should outprioritize them.

Last edited:

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
Megaman's Up B is so frustrating! I was playing the demo and I hit Mario's meteor smash on Megaman at 130% and he used Rush to cancel right out of it and lived!

BBC7

Smash Ace
I think the first post should be heavily edited to include more finds. After about 200 replies, I think there's most than just ABS, Rush Cancelling, and Special Momentum Shift. Maybe it's just me, although I find myself fitting in way more technique than just those 3 options there.

CatcherAndTheRai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CatcherAndTheRai
So I sort of found a little something. not really tech, but its interesting.

If you latch on the crash bomb, and then grab them, each time you pumble them the bomb will switch back and forth between the two of you. ALSO, if you hold L while the bomb is active during grab you will take 1% damage and the opponent will take the brunt of the bomb like they normally would with the explosion. I still have to test stuff, but it could lead to better follow ups for combos, and then just go for the throw then the explosion at higher % for the KO.

But again I will test more right now, and get back at you guys! test if you'd like!

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I've been playing with wall jumping, and following up with b-reversed specials. It seems like a good way to get a Crash Bomb out honestly. It's possible to throw a Metal Blade into the stage, and grab it with a nair followed by the other two shots as you get back to the stage. If holding a blade, b-reversing leaf is good while they're at a distance as it gives you a bit of protection while the blade comes out faster and opens up JCT opportunities(Don't reverse Leaf Shield too early due to it stopping your jump from gaining distance.). Reversing a Metal Blade into the ground is a pretty interesting way to get one out, either as a projectile or to grab.

Just playing arund with the ledge after hearing about Iggy bairing off a wall jump; I think these are some good mix ups.

Ryutto

Smash Rookie
Not sure If this strategy has been shared here yet, so I thought I should. Its a great ledge guarding technique that Mega Man has at his disposal. I don't have enough posts yet to post a link so replace the "(dot)"s with "."s
www(dot)youtube(dot)com/watch?v=dz_SueIXab8&feature=youtu.be

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
I've messed around with the metal blade, and it seems it can be used INFINITELY as long as you throw it into the ground.
Also, This combo (when u pick up MB) - [down air throw-forward throw] is very OP since it has no lag and gives you plenty of follow-ups such as usmash, utilt, grab, etc. I tested this with sandbag and when followed-up with a usmash, it does roughly 25% damage.
Cheers for Mega Man's developing Meta! (No pun intended)

Last edited:

Zori

Smash Champion
Off stage sweetspot pellets (nair) are a huge deal for megaman. If you read air dodges you can get a really low percent kill. Even if you are not good at reading air dodges you get three opportunity's to hit them offstage.

if you are still not comfortable with that you can face backwards because he has a hitbox behind him and also creates a very flashy kill

Side side note, has anyone noticed that when you land with uair really close to the ground you suffer no lag? This is great for people predicting your landing and it does like an rediculous amount of damage. Like 18% if I'm not mistaken

Last edited:

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
He's right, sweet spot Nair can easily gimp characters like Mario. And, Mega has the awesome recovery which allows him to gamble like this safely!

Talking about recoveries, did anyone notice that his Up B gives you the chance to turn around? Immediately after pressing Up B, press left or right to choose which way to face.

With this in mind, Mega can follow someone off stage, shoot some lemons, and if the opponent avoids them Mega can Up B turn around and possibly Bair on his way back to the stage.

BBC7

Smash Ace
Finally got a chance to play with some real friends at my school, played Mega Man and this is what I learned:

- Don't shoot 3 pellets at once. The lag can, in fact, be capitalized on. I learned it the hard way when my friend kept on cheesing me with Roll and Mario's Dash Attack. Shoot 2 pellets at once so you can still react if they try to land a hit on you.

- Remember that Rush Cancelling is a thing. You'll thank me when you get out of that annoying Mario U-Tilt Combo. (I only played Mario's and Link's, truth be told)

- Try to employ your mindgames somewhat often, that includes using your specials wisely.

That being said, I only played 3 games. One of them was out in broad daylight, so I'm not willing to count it because it was a buttonmash fest and not a fight.

I lost 1 of them because I was not using any mindgames and was being cheesed out because of my third pellet lagging me up. (Opponent used Mario)
I won the second game because I was playing more wisely by using my specials more, paying more attention to my spacing, and ensuring that I can react almost every single time a reaction is needed. (Opponent used Link)

CatcherAndTheRai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CatcherAndTheRai
Finally got a chance to play with some real friends at my school, played Mega Man and this is what I learned:

- Don't shoot 3 pellets at once. The lag can, in fact, be capitalized on. I learned it the hard way when my friend kept on cheesing me with Roll and Mario's Dash Attack. Shoot 2 pellets at once so you can still react if they try to land a hit on you.

- Remember that Rush Cancelling is a thing. You'll thank me when you get out of that annoying Mario U-Tilt Combo. (I only played Mario's and Link's, truth be told)

- Try to employ your mindgames somewhat often, that includes using your specials wisely.

That being said, I only played 3 games. One of them was out in broad daylight, so I'm not willing to count it because it was a buttonmash fest and not a fight.

I lost 1 of them because I was not using any mindgames and was being cheesed out because of my third pellet lagging me up. (Opponent used Mario)
I won the second game because I was playing more wisely by using my specials more, paying more attention to my spacing, and ensuring that I can react almost every single time a reaction is needed. (Opponent used Link)
You can use the three pellets at once. You just have to jump cancel the third one so there is no lag!! so like shoot three then go for a SH F-air, retreating jump, or a footstool.

Top Bottom