• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It's The End of August and I Believe in the Big Three

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
The way I see it, that leaked roster has 5 more spots available on it.
I see Mewtwo and Ridley being difficult to unlock, therefore the leaker had not unlocked them yet.

Very possible they made the cut.

King K. Rool, IDK mate, would be amazing to see him, cuz at this point he's not looking good in my opinion, of course.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Deserving, unique, and female are the new buzzwords when it comes to newcomers.
Don't forget "villain". Well, at least when it comes to speculation.
And "unique" is pretty much a given since the opposite of that would mean "clone" and people apparently hate those.

Well yeah. It is a good word to describe the big three.
Ehh, it sounds pretty pretentious to assume that these three should be given a roster spot on a silver platter.
I will say that I have newfound sympathy for Mewtwo (and Roy) supporters since I may soon have to deal with similar heartbreak.
As for the other two, honestly if they were oh so important, they would've been in since Melee. The way I see it, Brawl was the last chance they had.

And don't give me that "great injustice" crap. They're not in and they've never been in. Their time is up. Out with the old, in with the new. Notice how aside from recent revivals and the obligatory retro, pretty much all the newcomers for Smash 4 have been from the more recent games. It's time to move on. And I bet if there is another Smash, the next batch of newcomers will consist of Splatoon, Code Name STEAM, more Xenoblade and whatever else Nintendo brings up next. (if not DLC at that point)

Ridley is a boss and will always be a boss. (and a boss that I actually really enjoyed). While we're at it, let's ask for Rayquaza and Master Hand to be playable too. No? I didn't think so.
And people seem to exaggerate how important of a villain K.Rool is. Freaking PORKY at the very least got in as a boss before him. Petey Piranha! K.Rool's been irrelevant since N64. Who the hell cares...

*sigh* Sorry chaps, I don't want to be so negative, but the false sense that these three are the Chosen Ones has gone on far enough and it's grating on my nerves.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
You have my prayers concerning those guys, sadly hope is no longer at my door.
We will need all the prayers from people of the Earth to make them in !

Or they will remain defeated (with Snake as a bonus).

ArturoLamilla

Smash Cadet
NNID
ArturoWiiU
I do think the Wii U version is bringing some surprises, at least new characters only able to be gotten after that release, that's obvious from a marketing perspective, dont you think? How do you hype the consumers to the Wii U version then?

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
I don't believe that Ridley or K. Rool will make it in Smash 4. Smash 5? Maybe. Of the three, I can only see a possible return of Mewtwo.

The Animator

Smash Journeyman
If this is the roster...

...and the big three are not included I want to see petitions to add them as DLC, as well as a petition to remove Masahiro Sakurai from involvement it any future SSB games.

When he says the following use these as replacements:
Russell = Masahiro
Woodman = Sakurai
General = Director

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
I believe in Ridley and Mewtwo.

..I don't want to come off as a jerk, and I don't want to bum anyone out. But if K. Rool can't even come back in the DK series, he's not gonna come back for Smash. That's how I see it. He'd be cool though. No disrespect :yeahboi:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
The Big 3 would defentntly be;

King K. Rool = To be honest this is my most wanted newcomer, after him there is no other character I really care for, it will only apply as frosting on the cake.
Mewtwo = It would be nice to see Mewtwo return to the Smash world, so I count for him.
Ridley = Not a Ridley fan, but I would actually like to see him in after all the demands.

But personally, I could also apply Isaac from Golden Sun as a most wanted that haven't been revealed..

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Yeah, Isaac should join the trio.
We would have four members in the Big 3 like "The Three Musketeers".
Wonderful.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
It doesn't have to be K. Rool, but DK needs another character. I'm going to be pretty upset if the DK series gets nothing new in this game.

Speculator

Smash Ace
Sakurai is not teasing Ridley. Certainly not as a playable character. Interpreting Pyrosphere and the shadow in ways that somehow support his inclusion as part of the roster is confirmation bias, regardless of what his role actually ends up being. Right now, all the information we have points to him being a stage boss on Pyrosphere and that should be the default position.

The reason Sakurai didn't just outright reveal Ridley straight away is because he's aware of how much of a fuss the fanbase causes about him. He's aware and obviously he doesn't think Ridley is workable as a playable character, and he isn't willing to make that compromise just to appease fans. This is his way of trying to let those people down gently, rather than rip off the band-aid in one go. Seems like it's had the opposite effect.

It's silly, but at least it's not as silly as interpreting Greninja's fingers as a hint towards playable Mewtwo.

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
Sakurai is not teasing Ridley. Certainly not as a playable character. Interpreting Pyrosphere and the shadow in ways that somehow support his inclusion as part of the roster is confirmation bias, regardless of what his role actually ends up being. Right now, all the information we have points to him being a stage boss on Pyrosphere and that should be the default position.

The reason Sakurai didn't just outright reveal Ridley straight away is because he's aware of how much of a fuss the fanbase causes about him. He's aware and obviously he doesn't think Ridley is workable as a playable character, and he isn't willing to make that compromise just to appease fans. This is his way of trying to let those people down gently, rather than rip off the band-aid in one go. Seems like it's had the opposite effect.

It's silly, but at least it's not as silly as interpreting Greninja's fingers as a hint towards playable Mewtwo.
I don't think Sakurai really "lets people down gently" about characters. What he did with Ridley was weird and people speculate like crazy. That's it.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
So...why let people down gently if you can also just bluntly say it out loud that he isn't playable? I mean, he has done that with other characters, mostly assist trophies, and he has done it fairly consistently as well. So, why give Ridley the special treatment, why let him be the exception? Or, to put it in a different way, why not let others down gently with their characters? Ghirahim for example, why not let his fans down gently? What about Prince Sablé? It just makes no sense to me.

EmeraldDragonair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmeraldDragonair
Mewtwo is back. No way would Sakurai leave out one of the most requested (and one of the more deserving) characters, with a mostly complete moveset, but bring back a waste of space like Dr. Mario. Mewtwo was last the be caught in Pokemon, usually the last to be unlocked in Melee, and is probably last to be unlocked again, hence is absent from the leak.

I think Ridley is a boss.

K. Rool... I'm not so sure. Not too long ago I though we would get him and Dixie. But with only 5 spots left, Mewtwo, Wolf, and Lucas likely taking 3 of them... not to mention Ice Climbers, Isaac... I can't see them both getting in, and think Dixie would be a higher priority.

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
So...why let people down gently if you can also just bluntly say it out loud that he isn't playable? I mean, he has done that with other characters, mostly assist trophies, and he has done it fairly consistently as well. So, why give Ridley the special treatment, why let him be the exception? Or, to put it in a different way, why not let others down gently with their characters? Ghirahim for example, why not let his fans down gently? What about Prince Sablé? It just makes no sense to me.
because no matter how you cut it, ridley makes THE most fuss, the existence and the run of this thread proving it

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
5 missing spots

Obvious shoe ins would be
1)Dixie Kong
2)Ridley
3)Mewtwo

4 and 5... I honestly have no clue on who those 2 may be. Maybe Between Impa, chorus kids and king k rool?

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya
Don't let this get out of hand, guys.
It's alright at the moment, but I don't want to see it going the way these threads usually go, because this is a nice little pocket of hope, so to speak.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
because no matter how you cut it, ridley makes THE most fuss, the existence and the run of this thread proving it
So, why does that makes it the best way of getting the fanbase to make less of a fuss about it? The earlier you do it, the more time you can give them to calm down. And well, it obviously hasn't worked, so why not make a PotD and reveal him there? If the intention of Sakurai really was to let us down slowly, then he could easily have made a PotD or even just a simple statement to control the damage that has been caused. I, at the very least, would've been okay with that.

The other possibility is that he thinks that Ridley as a boss might be hype-worthy in a way, or just bosses in general I guess, which seems much more likely to me than the alternative of him trying to disappoint us slowly.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Let me put it this way, the way the supporters of the Big Three conduct themselves is enough to turn me away from the Big Three. I didn't refuse to buy Brawl just because Little Mac, Duck Hunt Dog, Toad, Dixie Kong, Animal Crossing rep, Tingle, Meowth, Starfy, and Krystal didn't get in Brawl. I didn't boycott Brawl just because they cut Melee characters like Mewtwo and Roy and added more clones like Toon Link, Lucas, and Wolf. I didn't demand that Sakurai lose his job or wish pain and suffering upon Sakurai just because Sakurai made decisions that I didn't agree on. I still bought Brawl because I wanted to try out all these newcomers. Sure, I lost one of my mains (Mewtwo) but I found new and unexpected mains like Lucas, Wolf, R.O.B., Pit, and Meta Knight.

As for SSB4, it really sucks that I lost two of my mains (Lucas and Wolf) and three characters I had fun playing with items on (Ice Climbers, Squirtle, and Ivysaur)... but hey, I finally gained the chance to play as Little Mac, Duck Hunt Dog, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Villager, and Mii Fighters. I also get to try out new and unexpected characters like Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina, Greninja, Palutena, Robin, Shulk, and Bowser Jr. It is likely that some of them are going to be my new mains. Just because I've been denied the opportunity to play as Toad and Dixie Kong in SSB4 is not going to stop me from playing SSB4 and discovering new favorites. I'll just move on and keep on supporting for Toad and Dixie Kong for Smash 5.

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
Let me put it this way, the way the supporters of the Big Three conduct themselves is enough to turn me away from the Big Three. I didn't refuse to buy Brawl just because Little Mac, Duck Hunt Dog, Toad, Dixie Kong, Animal Crossing rep, Tingle, Meowth, Starfy, and Krystal didn't get in Brawl. I didn't boycott Brawl just because they cut Melee characters like Mewtwo and Roy and added more clones like Toon Link, Lucas, and Wolf. I didn't demand that Sakurai lose his job or wish pain and suffering upon Sakurai just because Sakurai made decisions that I didn't agree on. I still bought Brawl because I wanted to try out all these newcomers. Sure, I lost one of my mains (Mewtwo) but I found new and unexpected mains like Lucas, Wolf, R.O.B., Pit, and Meta Knight.

As for SSB4, it really sucks that I lost two of my mains (Lucas and Wolf) and three characters I had fun playing with items on (Ice Climbers, Squirtle, and Ivysaur)... but hey, I finally gained the chance to play as Little Mac, Duck Hunt Dog, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Villager, and Mii Fighters. I also get to try out new and unexpected characters like Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina, Greninja, Palutena, Robin, Shulk, and Bowser Jr. It is likely that some of them are going to be my new mains. Just because I've been denied the opportunity to play as Toad and Dixie Kong in SSB4 is not going to stop me from playing SSB4 and discovering new favorites. I'll just move on and keep on supporting for Toad and Dixie Kong for Smash 5.
If I could like this five million times, I would. It sums up what I feel about "the big three."

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970

Please don't generalize supporters of the big three like that. I really want all 3 of them in the game, but I'll still buy the game and love Sakurai for the work he's put into it.

Speculator

Smash Ace
I don't think Sakurai really "lets people down gently" about characters. What he did with Ridley was weird and people speculate like crazy. That's it.
Here's the point I'm making. It should be no surprise that Ridley is treated differently when compared to other deconfirmed characters. Just by the sheer amount of support and controversy surrounding him, Ridley is different. Sakurai will be aware of it, no question, and he knows that by not including him he's going to be disappointing a lot of die-hard supporters. If he isn't willing to make adaptations to Ridley in order for him to serve as a playable character - whether you agree with that decision or not - then it makes sense to me that he would try to downplay expectations by strongly hinting at Ridley as a stage boss. Obviously he didn't anticipate how people would choose to read into it, but that's down to the supporters and not to Sakurai.

I always think its funny that the people who get somebody they want in these games are the ones who try to take up for sakurais side..
Pre-E3 2013 my most wanted character was Balloon Fighter, and he was deconfirmed within the first trailer. It's disappointing, but it's something I have to accept. I can only assume that Sakurai doesn't believe he can be faithful to Balloon Fighter within the context of SSB.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Here's the point I'm making. It should be no surprise that Ridley is treated differently when compared to other deconfirmed characters. Just by the sheer amount of support and controversy surrounding him, Ridley is different. Sakurai will be aware of it, no question, and he knows that by not including him he's going to be disappointing a lot of die-hard supporters. If he isn't willing to make adaptations to Ridley in order for him to serve as a playable character - whether you agree with that decision or not - then it makes sense to me that he would try to downplay expectations by strongly hinting at Ridley as a stage boss. Obviously he didn't anticipate how people would choose to read into it, but that's down to the supporters and not to Sakurai.

Pre-E3 2013 my most wanted character was Balloon Fighter, and he was deconfirmed within the first trailer. It's disappointing, but it's something I have to accept. I can only assume that Sakurai doesn't believe he can be faithful to Balloon Fighter within the context of SSB.
Yeah but usually people have several fighters they want so as long as you get one then you probably wont complain but having no one make it on a very reasonable list is definite merit for not being happy with a roster especially if you are losing your vets.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484

As a supporter of the Big Three, I must say I've never been this excited for any game ever in all my years of gaming. I'm gonna buy this game day one regardless of the Big Three being in or not. Sure, I'd buy it with an even bigger smile if they were in, but I'm gonna burn my 3DS playing it for sure.

I couldn't agree more with you. People who say not having those three in would make the roster (and even the game!) garbage are very annoying

I've lost Wolf, one of my favorite characters from Brawl, but I got Little Mac, I got Palutena, I got Robin, I got Villager... I can't complain at all. I will be kinda disappointed if Ridley, K. Rool and Mewtwo don't make it in, but I'll enjoy the game like crazy anyways.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
If he isn't willing to make adaptations to Ridley in order for him to serve as a playable character - whether you agree with that decision or not - then it makes sense to me that he would try to downplay expectations by strongly hinting at Ridley as a stage boss. Obviously he didn't anticipate how people would choose to read into it, but that's down to the supporters and not to Sakurai.
Frankly, it's a bad idea for Sakurai to try "downplaying" expectations for Ridley rather than just outright saying Ridley won't be playable. Just hinting at Ridley's role in the game and giving fans room to continue speculating for him is inevitably going to spawn some kind of false hope. If Ridley's not going to be playable, than Sakurai should have just said that Ridley would be a boss when he first revealed the Pyrosphere, instead of "downplaying" expectations which has ultimately led to increased expectations.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
My big 3 are in my sig and will remain there until all hope is gone.

Cpt.

Smash Lord

Well the game is going to be fun regardless of who is in it. Idk who is boycotting Smash 4, the leaked roster is a good roster IMO. It is just that when it comes to Smash Bros. you think of playing as characters like Mario and Bowser, and when you get another Marth instead of Ridley it makes you wonder what Sakurai was thinking.

Will I be mad if Ridley doesn't get in? Yes. Will I be mad if Doc comes back while Mewtwo does not? Of course. That's fine. That doesn't mean that the supporters of the Big Three want Sakurai to lose his job. It's just that when we'll be playing Smash 4 having a blast using Duck Hunt Dog, we will always have the thought in the back of our mind "why am I not playing as King K. Rool right now?"

But that is all pointless because I know that Sakurai has put at least one of the Big Three in Smash 4 this time around. So being mad at him is not going to happen because I'll be too busy being happy with him.

Last edited:

Speculator

Smash Ace
Yeah but usually people have several fighters they want so as long as you get one then you probably wont complain but having no one make it on a very reasonable list is definite merit for not being happy with a roster especially if you are losing your vets.
I don't think there are many people out there that haven't seen a single newcomer they wanted. Who didn't want Mega Man? Little Mac, at long last? An Animal Crossing rep of some description? In my case there are a lot of characters I never even considered that have been revealed that I'm really looking forward to. I like having my expectations subverted, that's what makes hype for SSB so exciting.

Frankly, it's a bad idea for Sakurai to try "downplaying" expectations for Ridley rather than just outright saying Ridley won't be playable. Just hinting at Ridley's role in the game and giving fans room to continue speculating for him is inevitably going to spawn some kind of false hope. If Ridley's not going to be playable, than Sakurai should have just said that Ridley would be a boss when he first revealed the Pyrosphere, instead of "downplaying" expectations which has ultimately led to increased expectations.
It is pretty much a bad idea, I agree. Certainly in hindsight.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I don't think there are many people out there that haven't seen a single newcomer they wanted. Who didn't want Mega Man? Little Mac, at long last? An Animal Crossing rep of some description? In my case there are a lot of characters I never even considered that have been revealed that I'm really looking forward to. I like having my expectations subverted, that's what makes hype for SSB so exciting.

It is pretty much a bad idea, I agree. Certainly in hindsight.
Im a big nintendo fan not a capcom one. Never played punchout until last year, never have played an animal crossing as of yet. I really dont care for any of the newcomers so far, most are new franchises or newer faces and not the classics.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

I've actually only seen a very small handful of people talk about not buying the game if the big three aren't in. Even less actually saying that Sakurai needs to be fired (Or at least in an actual non-joking way). It's unfair to lump us all in that crowd, and kind of unfair to yourself to not support them because some fans are idiotic. Support whatever character you want, other people be damned in how they support or argue against that character.

I've stated before I already love the roster, and yes there are several big three fans who do not support that sentiment, but to be fair when you get hyped up over a bunch of characters potentially being in the game and see their possibility, and only one gets in, it's a little hard not to be bitter about that if you don't see any of the potential that the new choices have. I'm completely in support of people finding new mains though, no reason not to try out characters before you judge the roster honestly, but again the absence of the big three is felt more harshly by some. To me it's like I'm already going to see a band play I know that I love, but they never quite play my favorite song, it's still probably an amazing performance that I love, but it would have been legendary if they'd played that song.

Sakurai has done a phenomenal job with the Smash games so far in terms of content and the effort he has put in, and even us big three fans really can't say that much bad about him other then him ignoring our requests, and perhaps handling some situations a little poorly ala Ridley (If he really is just a Stage Boss in the end, Sakurai is going to need to explain his logic in not addressing the situation sooner). That said when some people say replace Sakurai I think they genuinely want to see what happens when some new blood is put in charge of the series, just because it would be interesting to see that and perhaps get content that we might not otherwise get. I know I'm at least curious as to how that would play out, but I'm completely more than OK with Sakurai developing Smash for however long he wants to since he does tend to do a pretty great job with the Smash games.

And we don't know the leaked screenshot is for sure the final roster yet, don't necessarily count Dixie Kong, the hype three, or anyone else out just yet! :)

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I guess so, but if that was truly his intention, then why didn't he clarify it after discovering the plan completely backfired? It just confuses me to no end.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord

Well I'll tell you this.. I will not refuse to buy this game but I'm only buying the Wii U version they are not sucking money out of me two times for a game that has only half of the most requested characters.. Sorry Nintendo. I won't be upset if the big 3 don't all get in. I will be upset if not a single one of them gets in, because it is about time Mewtwo was brought back into the fray and he should have been in Brawl. King K rool and Ridley I don't really know what is going to happen but I do know if they can ignore those two characters then obviously they are leaning more towards what they want than what the fans want because they know smash brothers will make money regardless and in my opinion that is more greedy than not but in Nintendo's current situation I guess I can't blame them they are losing the battle completely in terms of a good console not counting the 3DS

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
This makes me wonder if Mewtwo, Ridley, and K. Rool don't make it if they're going to be big contenders for the next game. Mewtwo and Ridley will probably always be popular as long as Pokemon and Metroid exist but I dunno about K. Rool. His last major game was DK 64 in 1999, and if SSB5 lands in 2020/2021, that means he'll have been gone for 20+ years if Nintendo doesn't revive him.

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
I'm not going to overspeculate on something we know almost nothing about, so I'm just coming here to say I believe. All three of them. Label me as you please, I really don't care. We only have what, eleven days until we know, so there's no need to make a fuss about it all now.

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
Well I'll tell you this.. I will not refuse to buy this game but I'm only buying the Wii U version they are not sucking money out of me two times for a game that has only half of the most requested characters.. Sorry Nintendo. I won't be upset if the big 3 don't all get in. I will be upset if not a single one of them gets in, because it is about time Mewtwo was brought back into the fray and he should have been in Brawl. King K rool and Ridley I don't really know what is going to happen but I do know if they can ignore those two characters then obviously they are leaning more towards what they want than what the fans want because they know smash brothers will make money regardless and in my opinion that is more greedy than not but in Nintendo's current situation I guess I can't blame them they are losing the battle completely in terms of a good console not counting the 3DS

Stuff like this is what makes me almost refuse to support the so called "Big Three" in any way. They're just 3 characters. One of which in his games that he's appeared in barely has any personality outside of grunts and roars. We have a bunch of unique, memorable characters already. You can't be happy with that?

Last edited:
NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
Stuff like this is what makes me almost refuse to support the so called "Big Three" in any way. They're just 3 characters. One of which in his games that he's appeared in barely has any personality outside of grunts and roars. We have a bunch of unique, memorable characters already. You can't be happy with that?
Who do you mean?

None of the Big Three matches that description.

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
Who do you mean?

None of the Big Three matches that description.
It's obviously Ridley. The only time he was given any actual personality was in a one-off manga series and that was about it. Almost every other appearance, he can be attributed to "mindless beast" if you didn't know his backstory.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
It's obviously Ridley. The only time he was given any actual personality was in a one-off manga series and that was about it. Almost every other appearance, he can be attributed to "mindless beast" if you didn't know his backstory.
Well, he is the leader of the Space Pirates, you can't be a leader if you are a mindless beast. Sure, he fights like one, but that doesn't mean he is one. He's always been described as an extremely intelligent being.

Also, being a mindless beast is kind of a personality. It's something no other character in Smash has, so it would be interesting to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom