• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It's The End of August and I Believe in the Big Three

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I cannot wait to troll/exhibit my honesty when the 3DS version is revealed, and I still have faith in these guys :p

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
Honestly. That poll thing is really making me think we'll get most if not all of the big 3. It just wouldn't make sense for them to be the ones ignored on that list.

MBakhsh

Smash Apprentice
Honestly. That poll thing is really making me think we'll get most if not all of the big 3. It just wouldn't make sense for them to be the ones ignored on that list.
I love when we use arguments that didn't even hold up for the Brawl full roster leak.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I love when we use arguments that didn't even hold up for the Brawl full roster leak.
I love when valid points are dismissed haplessly under the guise of holding greater merit.

Didn't get Villager or Pacman in Brawl. They probably aren't going to be in this game either.

MBakhsh

Smash Apprentice
I love when valid points are dismissed haplessly under the guise of holding greater merit.

Didn't get Villager or Pacman in Brawl. They probably aren't going to be in this game either.
It's not valid in the slightest. Popular characters are added to every Smash game, but this in no way means that characters will be added because they are popular. If popularity is so important then why do wave have Rosalina, WFT, Duck Hunt over Ghirahim, Krystal, Paper Mario? Why was R.O.B. in over Geno in Brawl? Because one of them deserved to be in and the other didn't. Characters are picked based on whether they are deserving, not whether they are popular. In Melee and Brawl everybody screamed and cried and refused to believe the roster when it was revealed, saying that there was no way their wanted characters were snubbed over characters almost nobody asked for. So what's so different this time? There's already been a lot of hype newcomers so there will be more? Look at Brawl's starting newcomers (plus Sonic and Snake) and tell me those aren't hype characters. Now look at the entire cast of newcomers who were not revealed. Lucario (...but no Mewtwo), Wolf (...but no Krystal), another Link, and R.O.B. So much hype!

As I've said before in the five slots thread, with 13 newcomers, 15 counting all Mii forms, believing that we'll get even more is very questionable; characters weren't even supposed to be the focus in this game, and the difficulty in adding them increases exponentially every time another is added. So if you really think that we will get 18 (the same number as Brawl!) or even more newcomers in this game (Mewtwo counts as one, by the way, as he would need to be completely revamped), you'd better well have some more solid reasoning than "they're requested so they must be in!" or "it wouldn't make sense to not put X character in!"

It doesn't need to "make sense" to anybody but Sakurai.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
It's not valid in the slightest. Popular characters are added to every Smash game, but this in no way means that characters will be added because they are popular. If popularity is so important then why do wave have Rosalina, WFT, Duck Hunt over Ghirahim, Krystal, Paper Mario? Why was R.O.B. in over Geno in Brawl? Because one of them deserved to be in and the other didn't.
Maybe because those characters represent different series.... : / and maybe because Rosalina is super popular..... and maybe because Ghirahim isn't as popular as you think.....

MBakhsh

Smash Apprentice
Maybe because those characters represent different series.... : / and maybe because Rosalina is super popular..... and maybe because Ghirahim isn't as popular as you think.....
Ridley's probably not as popular as you think.

MBakhsh

Smash Apprentice
hahahahahahahahhaahahhahahhahahahahhahahah don't even try to compare the two
I would argue that they could be easily compared. Both will most likely not be playable characters.

But that's just my opinion...

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I am pretty pessimistic overall towards their chances. Especially in the case of Ridley.

I always find it funny that I thought of this months ago and everybody seemed to think it was an awful idea. Now it turns out everybody thinks it's genius.
No, I just find it incredibly unlikely.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Leak time!

Beautiful day. Doubt we will get anything and expect nothing from the 3DS, so can only be positive from this point. Merry ChristmaHannakwanakaThanksSolstiween Everyone.

Tons of rumors floating around everywhere involving these three and others.
Some from decent sources.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Zipzo tweeted that MewTwo is in.
Could they be time locked?
Well, I have stated we will get them, but later than release, so that everyone can enjoy them.
Hopefully heavily encoded.

You've watched it develop here, folks.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Wait, what?

The twitch people have confirmed the leak roster as final?

Honestly, that's bull****. If we'd have gotten the information that they were not in the running earlier, I'd have gotten over it by now. As it is, though, the most requested character worldwide is not in, and Sakurai's been torturing Ridley fans without cause for over a year. Bad form, Nintendo. Bad form.

I'll get over it, but the fact that they dragged out the pain leaves a really sour taste in my mouth. At least I have Fierce Deity Link to console me. (Despite him being an alt, unlike some characters' dark sides...)

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
Guys, it may be being too optimistic, but there's still a chance there's more to come along with the Wii U version.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
My final words on the issues therein:

Until Sakurai himself gives us official clarification, anything's possible.

MrCatEater

Smash Apprentice
I find it absolutely ridiculous that not a single member of the big 3 made it how absurd it's like Sakurai totally misunderstood that the big outcry around this characters was that we wanted them and not that we wanted them to be teased and ignored and mistreated and made fun of for supporting them all for no payout just horrible

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
I find it absolutely ridiculous that not a single member of the big 3 made it how absurd it's like Sakurai totally misunderstood that the big outcry around this characters was that we wanted them and not that we wanted them to be teased and ignored and mistreated and made fun of for supporting them all for no payout just horrible
Ridley has been been teased as a stage boss since April (he was made as a boss only in Brawl too), K Rool is an irrelevant villain who nintendo decided not to be in any games for years, and Mewtwo had already been cut in Brawl. Are you telling me you didn't see this coming? if not, you were expecting too much.

Get over it!

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Ridley has been been teased as a stage boss since April (he was made as a boss only in Brawl too), K Rool is an irrelevant villain who nintendo decided not to be in any games for years, and Mewtwo had already been cut in Brawl. Are you telling me you didn't see this coming? if not, you were expecting too much.

Get over it!
Dr. Mario was also cut in Brawl. That point is actually irrelevant now.

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
I think it's virtually guaranteed we're getting another batch of characters released alongside the Wii U version.

Mewtwo and Dixie are the most likely. Mewtwo would take little more effort than a semi-clone, given he has a move set to draw from and plenty of 3D models / rigs made by the Pokemon Company. Same with Dixie, but with Retro.

Ridley could go either way. All depends (and always has depended) on whether Sakurai thinks the fans will be satisfied with Ridley as a boss on a single stage.

K. Rool I'm doubting, just because I think getting all 3 would be too good to be true. But I'm definitely still holding out hope!

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
Dr. Mario was also cut in Brawl. That point is actually irrelevant now.
yes but how many other cut Melee veterans returned aside from Dr. Mario? exactly....

Dr. Mario was our one surprise

Last edited:

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
This is the 2nd consecutive Smash game who's roster has had people up in arms after it's leak. I want to hope for DLC, but didn't Sakurai go on record during Brawl saying he hates DLC and will never put it in Smash?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
yes but how many other cut Melee veterans returned aside from Dr. Mario? exactly....

Dr. Mario broke the "rule" that cut characters couldn't return. That means it's not impossible for others to return as well.

MrCatEater

Smash Apprentice

Get over it!
I'm over it but you do realize that this is actually a thread based upon those characters being in right? If you came into this thread honestly expecting no one to be upset about Ridley, K Rool, or Mewtwo then you're the one who needs to get over themselves. I'm telling you I didn't see this coming because of the polls that were made after brawl in which every top 5 member of both USA and Japan have made it except those 3, so I assumed it would be possible. Either way the game isn't really about relevancy otherwise we wouldn't have Bowser Jr, Duck Hunt Dog, or R.O.B.; besides if the premise is Nintendo All Stars it isn't exactly far fetched to assume that we would get some actual all star characters. Also you're wrong about Dr Mario, if you can honestly tell everyone that you expected Wii Fit Trainer, then you're even dumber than your posts would imply.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman

And Dr. Mario was a character almost nobody cared to have back where mewtwo was a fan favorite. Also your point about ridley is true on the boss tease but he also teased about how size didnt matter in smash too. The big 3 were left out over 3 clones.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Sorry, but I doubt it. There's nothing I want more than Ridley/Mewtwo DLC, but I'm not getting my hopes up for that. Sakurai hasn't even hinted that he was thinking about DLC - even if he had, the Space Pirates know what happened even when there were blatant hints.

So I'm wishing, hoping, praying, etc. but not expecting. :crying:

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
And Dr. Mario was a character almost nobody cared to have back where mewtwo was a fan favorite. Also your point about ridley is true on the boss tease but he also teased about how size didnt matter in smash too. The big 3 were left out over 3 clones.
okay then, link me to where this was said and where Ridley was mentioned with that quote.

Dr. Mario broke the "rule" that cut characters couldn't return. That means it's not impossible for others to return as well.
But it shouldn't be a big shock if a cut character didn't return. It should be a surprise if they did. So Mewtwo not being back isn't a surprise to me.

and i'm pretty sure they probably originally had Dr. Mario (and Dark Pit/Lucina) as an alt costume instead but since his attacks had different properties, they couldn't do that. Which would explain his "return". Its definitely not an intentional return.

Mewtwo is an original character and therefore harder to implement. Therefore, i'm not shocked he didn't come back instead of Dr. Mario

I'm over it but you do realize that this is actually a thread based upon those characters being in right? If you came into this thread honestly expecting no one to be upset about Ridley, K Rool, or Mewtwo then you're the one who needs to get over themselves. I'm telling you I didn't see this coming because of the polls that were made after brawl in which every top 5 member of both USA and Japan have made it except those 3, so I assumed it would be possible. Either way the game isn't really about relevancy otherwise we wouldn't have Bowser Jr, Duck Hunt Dog, or R.O.B.; besides if the premise is Nintendo All Stars it isn't exactly far fetched to assume that we would get some actual all star characters. Also you're wrong about Dr Mario, if you can honestly tell everyone that you expected Wii Fit Trainer, then you're even dumber than your posts would imply.

Duck Hunt Dog is an iconic retro game character. The retro characters like Megaman/IceClimbers/LittleMac/Pacman/etc. don't have to be relevant unlike K Rool who isn't even the main protagonist of his series, Bowser Jr (like Rosalina) has been in recent nintendo games at least unlike K. Rool, and R.O.B. is a weird footnote in nintendo history (aka his relevency doesn't matter either).

and just because a character is "popular" and "requested" doesn't mean they'll get in

Last edited:
Leak time!

Beautiful day. Doubt we will get anything and expect nothing from the 3DS, so can only be positive from this point. Merry ChristmaHannakwanakaThanksSolstiween Everyone.

Tons of rumors floating around everywhere involving these three and others.
Some from decent sources.

Could they be time locked?
Well, I have stated we will get them, but later than release, so that everyone can enjoy them.
Hopefully heavily encoded.

You've watched it develop here, folks.
here ya go.png

Speculator

Smash Ace
I think it's virtually guaranteed we're getting another batch of characters released alongside the Wii U version.
You have no reason to believe that. I thought perhaps today would have served as a warning against believing something because you want it to be true.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
I never said he got
okay then, link me to where this was said and where Ridley was mentioned with that quote.

But it shouldn't be a big shock if a cut character didn't return. It should be a surprise if they did. So Mewtwo not being back isn't a surprise to me.

and i'm pretty sure they probably originally had Dr. Mario (and Dark Pit/Lucina) as an alt costume instead but since his attacks had different properties, they couldn't do that. Which would explain his "return". Its definitely not an intentional return.

Mewtwo is an original character and therefore harder to implement. Therefore, i'm not shocked he didn't come back instead of Dr. Mario

Duck Hunt Dog is an iconic retro game character. The retro characters like Megaman/IceClimbers/LittleMac/Pacman/etc. don't have to be relevant unlike K Rool who isn't even the main protagonist of his series, Bowser Jr (like Rosalina) has been in recent nintendo games at least unlike K. Rool, and R.O.B. is a weird footnote in nintendo history (aka his relevency doesn't matter either).

and just because a character is "popular" and "requested" doesn't mean they'll get in
mentioned but just google smash pic of the day size doesn't matter and I didn't mention ridley so dont try to add on. Him and the other two were clearly most wanted by the polls so ya we were expecting at least one of them

MrCatEater

Smash Apprentice

And when pray tell was Duck Hunt Dog's last game? Because if I remember correctly it was for the NES whereas if I remember correctly King K Rool has been in main story DKC games up to N64 and spinoffs a bit more recently but of course that doesn't matter correct because the Donkey Kong games were so long ago and hardly even sold, dumbass. I realise that Duck Hunt Dog is a big part of nintendo history but so is King K Rool also the protagonist thing you said makes sense which is the same reason why Bowser Ganondorf or King Dedede will never be part of smash bros they just aren't the main protagonists through and through. Outside of sarcasm because your points are relatively placed on shaky ground I will concede Bowser Jr as I totally forgot about Galaxy games. And also I know that a character doesn't need to be popular to get in otherwise this whole damn conversation wouldn't be going on. My point was that the polls had no relevance if they were just going to be ignored. I've got to say man you're pretty pathetic if your idea of a good time is attempting to stomp on other people's preferences; presumably we are all adults here, although judging by how you have very little comprehension of manners I would hazard to guess that you simply have nothing better to do than try to break down other people, which by the way is hardly working majority of people here are over this already except you as you seem to believe that because you predicted characters right on a video game that you are somehow superior to others which is just as sad as you spending time here in the first place now I'm done wasting my breath/

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
And when pray tell was Duck Hunt Dog's last game? Because if I remember correctly it was for the NES whereas if I remember correctly King K Rool has been in main story DKC games up to N64 and spinoffs a bit more recently but of course that doesn't matter correct because the Donkey Kong games were so long ago and hardly even sold, *******. I realise that Duck Hunt Dog is a big part of nintendo history but so is King K Rool also the protagonist thing you said makes sense which is the same reason why Bowser Ganondorf or King Dedede will never be part of smash bros they just aren't the main protagonists through and through. Outside of sarcasm because your points are relatively placed on shaky ground I will concede Bowser Jr as I totally forgot about Galaxy games. And also I know that a character doesn't need to be popular to get in otherwise this whole damn conversation wouldn't be going on. My point was that the polls had no relevance if they were just going to be ignored. I've got to say man you're pretty pathetic if your idea of a good time is attempting to stomp on other people's preferences; presumably we are all adults here, although judging by how you have very little comprehension of manners I would hazard to guess that you simply have nothing better to do than try to break down other people, which by the way is hardly working majority of people here are over this already except you as you seem to believe that because you predicted characters right on a video game that you are somehow superior to others which is just as sad as you spending time here in the first place now I'm done wasting my breath/
Duck Hunt = retro = relevancy doesn't matter.... even with that said. Duck Hunt is very iconic back in the olden days.

K Rool = not retro = a villian from the more modern dk series but not necessary to add. Sometimes the main protagonist is all you really need to represent a series. Otherwise plenty of other series in the Smash would have villians representing Smash... hes been replaced as a villain in the recent games. if hes not relevant as a villian anymore, theres no reason to add him. Enough said.

Break down ppl? watchu talking about? i see ppl doing over the top stuff and i simply tell them some reasons why things didn't happen their way. Nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Tears... tears everywhere... drowning us in a pool of tears.

MBakhsh

Smash Apprentice
hahahahahahahahhaahahhahahhahahahahhahahah don't even try to compare the two
Looks like I was indeed incorrect in comparing Ghirahim to Ridley. At least Sakurai thought Ghirahim was important enough to be an AT in this game.

I don't mean to bash Ridley or Ridley supporters but I do mean to bash arrogance and condescension.

This is the 2nd consecutive Smash game who's roster has had people up in arms after it's leak. I want to hope for DLC, but didn't Sakurai go on record during Brawl saying he hates DLC and will never put it in Smash?
3rd, actually. People weren't happy to hear we got Pichu and Young Link and Mr. Game & Watch and what was presumed to be Roy Koopa in Melee.

Last edited:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Looks like I was indeed incorrect in comparing Ghirahim to Ridley. At least Sakurai thought Ghirahim was important enough to be an AT in this game.
? implying that assist trophy is better than Boss. It still does not justify a comparison either.

Still I need to see the full roster from Sakurai himself in order to truly come to accept the death of the big three.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Tears... tears everywhere... drowning us in a pool of tears.
So remember last December when we had this reaction from the community? Or hell; when I was made fun of in this thread for supporting Toad and Bandana Dee whilst warning this would happen?

Yeah; at least those two unworthy individuals are getting Mii Plaza hats for the Mii options. Brawler Toad Mii incoming. Gonna be sweet. Launching shotputs and burying people with his giant head.

Sadly none of the Big 3 getting Mii Plaza hats, however here's some wooden spoon prizes for you guys whilst you wait to see if they make it in as DLC or Wii U additions!:

Ridley: Enjoy your purple Charizard whilst squinting and thank Sakurai you didn't get that horrible Other M canine Ridley. Honestly you may have dodged a bullet.
King K. Rool: Select green Kirby. Inhale Peach. Clip into green Bowser's face. Pause. Squint. Then squint some more.
Mewtwo: Play Melee or Project M.

(For those holding out hope Sakurai will deconfirm that being the entire roster for 3DS; stop it. The game itself declared it. What more do you need?)

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
I think holding out for another batch of characters in the Wii U version is a waste of time. I don't think Nintendo would do something like that because it's a pretty bad way to push sales, especially when doing such a thing when hope for these three characters had been dashed and had left people salty months before. It would have been a better tactic to include them in the base game on the 3DS and to stick with the Wii U version being bigger and better in regards to just about everything else.

Holding out hope for more characters is just opening yourselves up for more hurt, because you'll begin to expect it and then if (and likely when) it doesn't happen, you'll feel betrayed again and you'll be more upset than ever. It's best just to accept it, agree that we had a good run, and wait for Smash 5 in regards to these three.

And hey, if it turns out there are more characters, or if they release DLC with K. Rool and Mewtwo, you'll be all the more hyped because you didn't expect it!

Sadly none of the Big 3 getting Mii Plaza hats
Pssssh, as if you could make a Ridley "hat" that wouldn't cover the entire plaza and stage with its size. Huehuehue.

This is the roster we're getting, anyway. There was hope before with the potential four or five slots, but it's abundantly clear now that the 3DS roster is it, aside for potential DLC.

No worries, though. Smash 5'll happen in half a decade, and we'll see what's up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom