• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It's The End of August and I Believe in the Big Three

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Call me daft Call me insane Call me an American Or call me Genius Call me Maybe? but I don't care.

This is still a topic of huge divide, and we don't have an actual place to discuss it, without it leaking into literally every other thread which is now going off topic.

I personally, never thought any of these three characters were going to be announced. Not until the end. WHAT qualified as the end, for me, has changed. Sometimes I believed just before Japans release. Sometimes just after. Sometimes Wii U.

There are many points which could be said on it- but the moral of the story is that

Mewtwo
Ridley
K.Rool

My support in your inclusion is here, and I'd like to see where that support still stands, and also have an actual place to discuss this- rather than... everywhere else. We've had enough negativity flying around the forums, and this week, on the flip side, has been INSANELY FUN. Let's keep the ball rolling like a Sheriff Armadillo in Smash 6.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Call me daft
Call me insane
Call me an American
Or call me Genius
Call me Maybe,

but I don't care.

This is still a topic of huge divide, and we don't have an actual place to discuss it, without it leaking into literally every other thread which is now going off topic.

I personally, never thought any of these three characters were going to be announced. Not until the end. WHAT qualified as the end, for me, has changed. Sometimes I believed just before Japans release. Sometimes just after. Sometimes Wii U.

There are many points which could be said on it- but the moral of the story is that

Mewtwo
Ridley
K.Rool

My support in your inclusion is here, and I'd like to see where that support still stands, and also have an actual place to discuss this- rather than... everywhere else.
God bless you son. Hopefully Sakurai will save the day :sadeyes:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I never had much concern for any of these characters, but having seen the amount of faith and loyalty the fans have, I'm pretty damn impressed.

My prayers go out to you guys. Let's see what the future may hold.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
My big three are Snake, K. Rool, and Ridley.
Rayman trumps all of them for me though, if only...

The game isn't over yet, it's just about to get started.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Call me daft
Call me insane
Call me an American
Or call me Genius
Call me Maybe,

but I don't care.

Mewtwo
Ridley
K.Rool

My support in your inclusion is here, and I'd like to see where that support still stands, and also have an actual place to discuss this- rather than... everywhere else.
I believe 2/3 of them will make it. All of them....it's just too good to be true.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Sakurai had an entire interview devoted to claiming he wanted this game to be the best CHARACTER GAME known. Third parties are an amazing way to do that, he certainly drove the point home about Mario v Sonic v Megaman v Pacman

It is not, however, up to solely Sakurai to determine if this is the best character game. LEGACY determines that, which is driven by critics, sure but mostly, fan demand.
There are enough reasons for him to know who the fans want in the game- while it is certain these three are more Western than Eastern, Japan sure as hell has two of these three as Top Priority as well. I believe Mewtwo was the most wanted character, Megaman as Newcomer, and King K Rool as Nintendo newcomer.

We can without a doubt claim Sakurai knows who the fans want, too. I won't stand here and list the amount of recognition we have received as evidence Sakurai knows what we say. This week alone we saw four out of five updates simply confirming the leak.

All that said- it boils down to this:
  • "Best Character Game" is the goal
  • Legacy for title is Decided by fans
  • Fans have spoken on who they want
  • Creator, aiming for title, has acknowledged that he has heard

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Sakurai had an entire interview devoted to claiming he wanted this game to be the best CHARACTER GAME known. Third parties are an amazing way to do that, he certainly drove the point home about Mario v Sonic v Megaman v Pacman

It is not, however, up to solely Sakurai to determine if this is the best character game. LEGACY determines that, which is driven by critics, sure but mostly, fan demand.
There are enough reasons for him to know who the fans want in the game- while it is certain these three are more Western than Eastern, Japan sure as hell has two of these three as Top Priority as well. I believe Mewtwo was the most wanted character, Megaman as Newcomer, and King K Rool as Nintendo newcomer.

We can without a doubt claim Sakurai knows who the fans want, too. I won't stand here and list the amount of recognition we have received as evidence Sakurai knows what we say. This week alone we saw four out of five updates simply confirming the leak.

I agree if he truly wants it to be the best he will have to hit the big 3 notes (and not ****ing cut wolf)...

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465

Ridley is more requested then King K. Rool. ^^;

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I believe in Mewtwo and Ridley.

Sadly, I don't think K Rool is getting in this time around

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I personally want as much big names of Nintendo-characters to be in this games as I can think of. I'm still preparing for the the leak roster to be the final one, but much like you guys, I want at least Ridley and Mewtwo to be there. I prefer Dixie of K.Rool but I'd be quite sad if he wouldn't be there as well. The DK-crew needs to be completed.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I'm sorry to say this, but I don't think we'll see any of them. I really want all of them, and I think The Big 3 should be playable, but I have a bad feeling about the remaining roster.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Amen!

I'm fully confident we will see at least one, probably two of the big three, being Mewtwo and Ridley.

I wish I was as confident about K. Rool...

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Smash Dream Land, ahoy!

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I'm believing in the big three til the very end as well. It just makes so much sense with the way they're so requested by so many fans, the way that Sakurai has stated that he wants this to be the best character game, the way he has listened to the fans so much in this one in several other ways, and for the fact that all three of the big three can be very unique gameplay wise. I'm still believing that in the next couple of weeks we're going to see all of them revealed one way or another despite all the pessimism that certain indviduals have towards their inclusion within the game, they just make too much sense to not be in there. And if by some crazy circumstance they're not, then Sakurai has some serious explaining to do.

Waterwraith

Smash Cadet
I doubt all 3 of them will make it. Outside of the hype of the hardcore Smash fanbase(us) these characters aren't very relevant to their current franchises anymore and their popularity is low. Especially in Ridley and K Rool's case.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
You're not alone, bro. Let's check the popularity polls, shall we?

JAPAN:
- Mewtwo
- Mega Man
- King K. Rool
- Palutena
- Shulk

WESTERN COUNTRIES:
- Mewtwo
- Mega Man
- King K. Rool
- Little Mac
- Ridley

But... What is this? Are you telling me that Mega Man, Palutena, Little Mac and even Shulk are in? Wow! That means only the Big Three are left to fulfill everybody's wishes!

The three of them have been teased somehow, so thinks are looking good!

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I've pretty much got most of the characters that I want in the final roster anyways.

Whether the likes of Ridley, Mewtwo and more will make it in, we'll find out by the time the Japanese version comes out next month.

Ridles the Space Pirate

Smash Journeyman
Call me daft
Call me insane
Call me an American
Or call me Genius
Call me Maybe?

but I don't care.

Mewtwo
Ridley
K.Rool

My support in your inclusion is here, and I'd like to see where that support still stands, and also have an actual place to discuss this- rather than... everywhere else. We've had enough negativity flying around the forums, and this week, on the flip side, has been INSANELY FUN. Let's keep the ball rolling like a Sheriff Armadillo in Smash 6.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I believe in Mewtwo since he's both a veteran and frankly on an entirely different tier of popularity from K. Rool and Ridley, especially in Japan. I've given up hope on any non Rhythm Heaven newcomer at this point.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
I doubt all 3 of them will make it. Outside of the hype of the hardcore Smash fanbase(us) these characters aren't very relevant to their current franchises anymore and their popularity is low. Especially in Ridley and K Rool's case.
Huh?

Mewtwo is the most popular Pokemon period, barring Charizard, K. Rool and Ridley are the major villains of their franchises, both Ridley and Mewtwo are very relevant to their franchises (K. Rool not so much), and as video game villains go they are rather popular.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Keep up the denial, it might work eventually.

(Protip: It won't)
A positive attitude, awareness of evidence, and loyalty to personal convictions are all traits I would not trade for relegating propagation of pure embitterment for the sake of its own existence, such as the post I quoted.
*Protip for life.

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
I believe in the Big 3 too!

...I'm just starting to think we might not get all of them initially. Seeing Mario Kart 8's new DLC and how excited it's making people, I feel all 3 are inevitable, whether it be before Sept. 13, between Sept 13 and Wii U version release, or 6 months from now.

And Dixie seems inevitable too. I mean, it would be completely inexcusable to bring back Dr. Mario and add Dark Pit, but not bring in Dixie (who could easily be a Diddy clone with a hair move or two added). Unless Sakurai truly loathes Donkey Kong.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Some of the mods told me this thread has the potential to get into a war- let's not prove them correct.
There will be detractors for these three, and that is fine.

The funny thing about it is that in the beginning, they were the obvious choices.
Sakurai is merely doing this whole thing, toying with us, making them seem so unlikely, yet giving concrete hints throughout the way, to make them appear to be unlikely.

He is turning the expected into the unexpected, so that event he "GIven" characters are big surprises in the end.
Genius.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Some of the mods told me this thread has the potential to get into a war- let's not prove them correct.
There will be detractors for these three, and that is fine.

The funny thing about it is that in the beginning, they were the obvious choices.
Sakurai is merely doing this whole thing, toying with us, making them seem so unlikely, yet giving concrete hints throughout the way, to make them appear to be unlikely.

He is turning the expected into the unexpected, so that event he "GIven" characters are big surprises in the end.
Genius.
Kind of how I felt about Palutena. In hindsight, it seems so silly and transparent, but back then, every new story was a potential Palutena reveal trailer. Hindsight really is twenty/twenty, y'know?

I well and truly hope that Sakurai is doing just as you say. Good things are so much rewarding when you have to fight hard for them. You have to walk through hell before you can reach heaven.

Here's hoping that everybody is happy, somehow or another, in the end. That would make me happiest of all.

My friend, you have to earn your happy ending.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
America on Febuary 17th (i believe): HOLY MACARONS ITS OVER!!!!!!!! LITTLE MAC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Japan on the same day: Wha?
Japan on the day of Takamaru's disconfirmation: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
America " " " " " ": NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Sakurai knows who and what we want. Sakurai knows who and what the fanbase needs.
Sakurai will give us what we want. Sakurai will give us what we need.
Ridley, King K. Rool, Mewtwo

May the force be with you.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I don't know if I'd call holding all three of them til the very end exactly genius. Sure it's a giant final push of hype if all three are in and revealed in the next couple of weeks (If I wake up to a Mewtwo PoTD reveal I'm going to scream for joy and laugh my ass off at the unceremonious reveal). But I feel we could have had at least one revealed prior to now. I understand that Palutena was a big character reveal for some, but I feel like her spot would have been much better utilized by Ridley or King K. Rool (Mostly Ridley). I mean Palutena's reveal was great, but just imagine if we had gotten Ridley at the end of the event, hype for Smash goes through the roof and it's an awesome and epic note to end on.

It just feels like at least ONE of the hype three should have been revealed by now so that there would be less detractors for the possibility of the hype three and that hype would well be off the charts for the game. I've always felt we needed another big time iconic character to solidify this rosters greatness. Of the characters revealed really only Mega Man and Pac- Man are characters I've considered all the iconic due to how long they've been around and there relevance to gaming in general, possibly you could add Little Mac and Villager in there, but they don't quite instill the same feelings the other two do. All of the hype three do, therefore so people wouldn't rag on what is actually pretty great roster, I feel like at least one of them should have been announced (Or maybe just for the sake of me not worrying if they're going to be in the game or not despite my fairly optimistic view on them).

But again as a final push of hype, nothing could possibly be better than the arrival of the hype three in Smash.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Pfft whatever. My big three will be Ice Climbers, Lucas, and Wolf. :crying: Pray for them.

Last edited:

ArturoLamilla

Smash Cadet
NNID
ArturoWiiU
I love the Big Three I support them absolutely. Mewtwo always was one of the best Pokémon out there, everyone was excited when he was in Melee (me too and my friends too!), K. Rool is an insane DK villain and the most wanted DK likely newcomer and Ridley f course the most known villian in the Metroid series. I'm a fan of DK, Metroid and Pokémon, but the thing that is unfair is the case of Metroid and DK, they only have two reps, that a really bad thing! I can't undertsand if Sakurai doesn't add them in this game!

Speculator

Smash Ace
As far as I'm concerned Ridley has been indirectly deconfirmed for over a year and outright deconfirmed since the Direct. Pretending he isn't doesn't benefit me in any way. "Hope" is a sure-fire way to end up disappointed with the final roster, which is totally avoidable by being realistic and keeping one's expectations in check. And hey, if he does end up in (and they somehow don't screw him up) then it's a nice surprise instead.

I don't think there are any obstacles to K. Rool apart from timing. Considering where the DKC series is right now, it would be an exceptionally strange time to go adding K. Rool to Smash. Melee would have been a pretty good opportunity, but even then I think there were characters not in Melee that would have taken priority (Diddy, for example). My stance is that K. Rool could happen, but I don't think he will.

Mewtwo is the only one you could really call me a supporter for, and only since it appears Mario will be exceeding five characters after all. Mewtwo was the main loss going from Melee to Brawl. I think he's a possibility for the remaining slots, and I'd like Lucas and the Ice Climbers to be with him. Very difficult to judge how likely any of this is with the information we have.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Mewtwo, Ridley and K. Rool are no doubt the 3 most deserving characters to be added inti Smash since the announcement of Smash 4. The Big 3 still are the most worthy characters left of the title "Nintendo All-Star".

While I personally do not care as much about K. Rool, the Donkey Kong series needs another rep and he is the most deserving of that spot. Dixie Kong should be a costume IMO, but since we have Lucina then she should get in as well, but not before a DK series villain.

Ridley should have been put in Melee IMO. It's the game where Sakurai started putting in the main villains, yet for some reason several were left out. He continued to add more in SSBB, but for some reason wasn't adding in the really obvious, really worthy ones. If there are 5 Villains that could represent Nintendo I would have to chose

1. Bowser (soley because he is seen as a good and bad guy which I believe is very Nintendo like)
2. Ganondorf
3. Ridley
4. DeDeDe
5. K. Rool

All of them should have been in Melee, but for some reason only two of them were put in. There was no excuse not to add them by the time SSBB rolled around yet again we only got 1 more. Now, the time is here were Smash 4 is coming out and we are getting characters like Lucina and the Wii Fit Trainer. If some of the most important Nintendo character ever do not make it in this time around I may start to lose my faith in Sakurai.

Sorry.

Mewtwo is very worthy for obvious reasons as he was in Melee and was planned for SSBB. However, also because he represents a lot in pokemon. A lot more than most pokemon represent. Pikachu is the mascot. Charizard is the fan favorite and video game "protagonist" I guess. Lucario is another fan favorite and a good gen 4 rep. Jigglypuff is just there. Mewtwo is arguably a better rep than every pokemon there is except Pikachu and maybe Eevee. This is because he represents the Legendary Pokes. He represents the Pokemon Movie. He represents Pokemon Red/Blue. He represents Team Rocket. He represents evil, but also how pokemon is about non-clear cut good and evil. He represents Gen 1 and Gen 6 and the new mechanic of Mega Evolutions. After Pikachu there is no other Pokemon than can stand up to what Mewtwo represents and if Sakurai can't see that, then I am very sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom