• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It's The End of August and I Believe in the Big Three

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groose

Smash Champion
I even USED to passively support K. Rool until his fanbase pissed me off something fierce with their elitist bull****.
Can you elaborate on this a little bit in a PM to me, please? I'd like to hear about this a bit more, mate. Maybe I can try to help diffuse tensions a bit. The vast majority of the Kutthroats are nice guys, and I'm sure we'd like to know what we've done wrong so we can work on Publik Relations when we're supporting him for Smash 5.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, I was about to say, the Kutthroats being a bunch of elitist pricks (at any point) would be a first for me, because I've usually seen them be the exact opposite. Granted, I tend to not post in K. Rool's thread as much as I used to, but still enjoy keeping up with what goes on.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Had King K. Rool been in Donkey Kong Country Returns back in 2010, I would have said King K. Rool was a shoe-in. But since Retro left him out of both games, I don't think he's likely to be used. Its a shame.

Ridley and Mewtwo have much better chances than King K. Rool. I figure Sakurai would choose Dixie for the third DK rep anyway if there was to be one.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
I honestly don't get why everyone says Dixie is more likely than K. Rool. Everyone always uses K. Rool not appearing in Returns as an argument to say he's not going to be playable, but Dixie didn't appear on Returns either.

Sure, she appeared on Tropical Freeze, but it was released this year, so it probably has no effect whatsoever on Dixie's chances.

And I'm pretty sure K. Rool is far more important for the DK series than Dixie, and I'm also pretty sure he'd be a lot more unique than her. Maybe I'm biased, but I'd appreciate it if someone shed some light over why Dixie is more likely than K. Rool, because I really don't get it.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Can you elaborate on this a little bit in a PM to me, please? I'd like to hear about this a bit more, mate. Maybe I can try to help diffuse tensions a bit. The vast majority of the Kutthroats are nice guys, and I'm sure we'd like to know what we've done wrong so we can work on Publik Relations when we're supporting him for Smash 5.
Aye, I'll PM you later Groose. You're one of the good 'uns.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
These three are easily my most supported characters for this game (well, aside from Brawl veterans - taking them into account, Snake may edge out K. Rool slightly), since Mewtwo was one of my mains in Melee (and an awesome character besides), and I really feel like the game could use more villains (with Ridley and K. Rool being the most prominent choices) as well as new characters for both Metroid and Donkey Kong. (I'd find it really bizarre if Kid Icarus got three characters, Fire Emblem got four, and yet Donkey Kong and Metroid only have two, with Metroid's being two different versions of Samus)

I really hope that all of them are playable this time around! I feel like they've all got pretty good chances at this point, seeing as nothing's been outright confirmed either way, Mewtwo and K. Rool are both (to my knowledge) really popular choices in Japan, and Ridley seems to be the only noteworthy Metroid character that they could add at this point (as well as the most prominent one that isn't Samus).

ShrekItRalph

Smash Ace
The smasher comes from the bottom of the arena
I honestly don't get why everyone says Dixie is more likely than K. Rool. Everyone always uses K. Rool not appearing in Returns as an argument to say he's not going to be playable, but Dixie didn't appear on Returns either.

Sure, she appeared on Tropical Freeze, but it was released this year, so it probably has no effect whatsoever on Dixie's chances.

And I'm pretty sure K. Rool is far more important for the DK series than Dixie, and I'm also pretty sure he'd be a lot more unique than her. Maybe I'm biased, but I'd appreciate it if someone shed some light over why Dixie is more likely than K. Rool, because I really don't get it.
Tropical freeze was originally going to launch last November, a month after X and Y. That and DKCR launched at the end of 2010, and I doubt Nintendo would have had Retro sit around for a year and not work on anything.

Last edited:

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
If none of them are in then in my opinion would be the most dissapointing roster of all the smashes going buy what's remaining on the leak. Bowser jr and duck hunt seem cool but dr mario, Lucina, and dark pit all clones would be bad. Why would doc get in over mewtwo in the first place

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Still saying 2 out 3 and that is ridley and mewtwo.K rool will not be in.Trust me

Last edited by a moderator:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Still saying 2 out 3 and that is ridley and mewtwo.K roll will not be in.Trust me
Well, I think we can all guarantee that K roll will not be in.

King K. Rool, on the other hand, has a real chance of getting in, and there's no reason to believe that he will definitely not be in.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Well, I think we can all guarantee that K roll will not be in.

King K. Rool, on the other hand, has a real chance of getting in, and there's no reason to believe that he will definitely not be in.
i just don't see him happening.Sorry

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
i just don't see him happening.Sorry
It's fine that you don't think he's likely, but your opinion does not determine whether or not a character will make it in, so there's no need to apologize.

CHUBUNATO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CHUBUNATO
3DS FC
2277-6893-1304
I believe in the big 3 but i dont know about K.Rool.. theres's just something that makes me think he wont make it

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Is anyone else as excited as I am that @ YoshiandToad YoshiandToad is making a one of a kind banner or something for this thread?
I AM!!!
And if it fits it will go in my signature.

*Proud happy gif*

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
At this point in the game, I'm as open to the big three making it in as I am in the revealed roster being the complete one. That's not to say I don't believe they'll make it in, I'm open to any possibility at this point. At the very least I have high hopes for Mewtwo, I just don't know about the other two. Now if this was truly a game of dreams, squirtle would return. If squirtle returns than all concerns may be put to rest.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman

Greninja is from last year too. I'm sure Nintendo discusses what characters will be relevant around the time smash releases. So I gotta agree dixie has a better chance than k rool, but k rool would be way more interesting.

Tbh of the big 3 I think Mewtwo has the best chance by far, k rool and Ridley aren't super likely, as cool as they'd be

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Greninja is from last year too. I'm sure Nintendo discusses what characters will be relevant around the time smash releases. So I gotta agree dixie has a better chance than k rool, but k rool would be way more interesting.

Tbh of the big 3 I think Mewtwo has the best chance by far, k rool and Ridley aren't super likely, as cool as they'd be
I guess so, yeah, by merit of having been in the game before and requiring less overall work.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
I guess so, yeah, by merit of having been in the game before and requiring less overall work.
That and k rool hasn't appeared in a while and even ridley not since other m, but mewtwo just had a big role in xy and the most recent pokemon movie

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
That and k rool hasn't appeared in a while and even ridley not since other m, but mewtwo just had a big role in xy and the most recent pokemon movie
Yet K. Rool is highly requested, there's an easter egg/homage for him on Tropical Freeze and he doesn't belong to Rare anymore, as far as I know.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
True about K Rool.
Yet, the reason he was not in the recent DK games seems to be stated that Retro wanted to bring in their own ideas to prove thy did not need to rely on old Intellectual Properties to create a successful game. We have seen just in a progression from DKCR to DKCRTF an addition of plenty of content- including composers, Dixie, and Cranky.

1- Retro wants to show they can create their own successful ideas
2- They want to accumulate hype for fans by building into the old IPs, slowly adding back in that which people missed, rather than throwing it all in at once, making some things less appreciated
3- It allows for better marketing over a long period of time, by giving each game a few target ideas to focus on when it comes to returning content from the old games.

I would not be surprised if K Rool was the big conclusion of the third game. Sakurai has been shown to get in with gaming companies to know what they are planning ahead of time, and I don't see why he may not have in this case as well (or why game companies would not want him to know what they are doing in their games, if they are looking to promote in such a way).

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
Yet K. Rool is highly requested, there's an easter egg/homage for him on Tropical Freeze and he doesn't belong to Rare anymore, as far as I know.
Just saying, a character is more likely to be in smash if they've had big roles in other recent games.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
Just saying, a character is more likely to be in smash if they've had big roles in other recent games.
I can't argue with that. Sure, it's less likely, but it is still likely.

I won't give up on my hope until I see with my own eyes that he's not in.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
Even though i dont really care about any of these 3 (Im a Krystal supporter) The fact that Dark Pit and Bowser Jr is getting in over these 3 is really REALLY bugging me.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Put Dixie somewhere? Maybe creeping behind the giant purple space dragon?
Too small.

Even though i dont really care about any of these 3 (Im a Krystal supporter) The fact that Dark Pit and Bowser Jr is getting in over these 3 is really REALLY bugging me.
You are implying that they have somehow been chosen over the three, as if they excludify one or more from the game. Maybe they are just being saved for last.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
Too small.

You are implying that they have somehow been chosen over the three, as if they excludify one or more from the game. Maybe they are just being saved for last.
I would love for them to be saved for the last. But honestly if all 3 was in one of them would of been announced by now.

Mewtwo has the best chance out of all them followed by (clone) dixie. I just dont see k rool getting in at all at this point. And Ridley is never going to be playable lol.

Lord Goomy

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, the only Big Three character that I really believe could happen at this point is Mewtwo, mostly due to the right shifting roster theory. Not to say that I don't want them, I just don't think they're going to happen. However, I do think its still possible if any of them are clone characters to make it in.

Last edited:

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
Here's my take on all of this..

K. Rool: Him being my most wanted newcomer since Melee aside, it would just seem weird for Samurai to put Dixie in over him. Samurai has stated that he looks for uniqueness when choosing newcomers (which is evident by Chrom vs Robin), so just choosing Dixie over K. Rool because she was in TF seems absurd IMO. I mean, I'm not hating on Dixie, I honestly wouldn't mind seeing her, and if I had to choose between her or no new DK rep at all, then it'd be her no question. But I would be a bit salty if it was her over K. Rool, and I wouldn't mind an explanation as to why that was the case. If she was only in because of TF/"relevancy" which is the only reason I could see why, then why not reveal her on the day of TF's release as opposed to Little Mac? I don't know, overall I still have faith in him, though I do understand that he is starting to look unlikely.

Ridley: Not much to say. I honestly wouldn't be too heartbroken if he wasn't in (though I do think that Metroid does deserve more playable representation), but I do think it'd be cool to see him in and how they would implement him, which is why I support him; and I think he is likely mainly because of the teasing (not getting into this whole debate).

Mewtwo: Nothing really needs to be said. I think we can, for the most part, all agree that he's the most likely.

All in all, I think that us getting all 3 isn't impossible (especially with that poll), but I think saying that we're not getting any is a bit too negative. 2 sounds the most likely to me however.

Last edited:

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457
Mewtwo is likely, and we already know he works as a playable character, but I personally really don't want to see Ridley or K. Rool.

The "too big" argument around Ridley holds a lot more weight to me than it does to others. They could shrink him down, but I don't think they should. He's supposed to be this big imposing figure of terror, and making him smaller/stockier to fit into the battle would undermine the core elements of what makes his character good.

In K. Rool's case, Retro are trying to create their own unique identity with the DK franchise, and they've done an excellent job. Tropical Freeze is one of the best 2D platformers in recent history, and the setting/aesthetic of the game is fantastic. To put K. Rool in the game would just undermine what they've been doing and show them serious disrespect. He's also just really not that unique of a character, never has been.

So yeah, just throwing my hat into the ring and I don't expect any of the supporters to change their minds.

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
In K. Rool's case, Retro are trying to create their own unique identity with the DK franchise, and they've done an excellent job. Tropical Freeze is one of the best 2D platformers in recent history, and the setting/aesthetic of the game is fantastic. To put K. Rool in the game would just undermine what they've been doing and show them serious disrespect. He's also just really not that unique of a character, never has been.

So yeah, just throwing my hat into the ring and I don't expect any of the supporters to change their minds.
How would K. Rool in Smash be disrespecting their work?

Last edited:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
The "too big" argument around Ridley holds a lot more weight to me than it does to others. They could shrink him down, but I don't think they should. He's supposed to be this big imposing figure of terror, and making him smaller/stockier to fit into the battle would undermine the core elements of what makes his character good.
Thing is, that just isn't true. Being a big imposing figure is not part of Ridley's character at all, far from it, he's actually one of the smallest bosses in the Metroid series. The reason he's imposing is because of his brutality and sadism. He enjoys killing things, and is very good at what he does.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

May need to shrink to an acceptable size. It's huge.

Use as you wish.
Thanks man! That is ballin... but can you redo it? The likeness of Ridley is too big, that style of K Rool is irrelevant, and Mewtwo just plain sucks.

:troll:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom