• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It's The End of August and I Believe in the Big Three

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457
How would K. Rool in Smash be disrespecting their work?
Because they've been trying to distance themselves from Rare and do their own thing rather than just becoming Rare 2.0 and following exactly what they used to do. Part of this was designing their own unique antagonists for the game. For Nintendo to ignore that by representing Rare's games would show that disrespect.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Because hiring Rare's former employees means they want to distance themselves.

Also we already have Kremlings in Smash Run, so your statement makes no sense.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Because they've been trying to distance themselves from Rare and do their own thing rather than just becoming Rare 2.0 and following exactly what they used to do. Part of this was designing their own unique antagonists for the game. For Nintendo to ignore that by representing Rare's games would show that disrespect.
Uh, no I disagree completely.

Like you said, Retro has avoided using the Kremlings so they could actually do enemy character design instead of reusing concepts made by another development team. But that doesn't mean any use of the Kremlings automatically disrespects Retro, especially since the Kremlings are already in Smash Run and Tiki Tong enemies coexist with them too.

As the Greninja Koopaul says, your argument makes no sense.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I do not understand your logic. In the slightest.
Even on just a basic level, how would using K Rool be more "disrespectful" than using Dixie?
How is using Dixie, Diddy, and Cranky somehow "Doing their own thing," but fan favorite K Rool is just a step either too far or in the wrong direction--- for Retro OR for Nintendo? I don't understand how you personally came to the conclusion of this differentiation, nor to this inglorious proclamation of 'disrespect,' which I find incredulous, but am trying to put aside in the time frame to understand.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Thanks man! That is ballin... but can you redo it? The likeness of Ridley is too big, that style of K Rool is irrelevant, and Mewtwo just plain sucks.

:troll:
I'm surprised about the lack of a Big Lipped Alligator Moment joke for the K. Rool part since scenes like that are considered random and irrelevant to any media. :troll:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
That marketing theory is looking more realistic by the day.

Nintendo's gonna want to hype the living daylights out of the Wii U version when its time draws near, but only new characters are capable of creating such hype and the 3DS version is coming out first, so what to do?

Purposely hold back fan favorites. Think about it, what better way to get the crowds pumping then to announce the hype three out of the blue just when everyone thought the roster was finished? And we never have found out what the interconnecting features between the versions are yet, and I bet at least one of them is downloading DLC from one to the other, thereby keeping the roster the same on both ends while still giving the Wii U version something to give it a marketing kick even after its portable brethren has been out for some time.

If that's how things go then Nintendo is a freaking genius.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
That marketing theory is looking more realistic by the day.

Nintendo's gonna want to hype the living daylights out of the Wii U version when its time draws near, but only new characters are capable of creating such hype and the 3DS version is coming out first, so what to do?

Purposely hold back fan favorites. Think about it, what better way to get the crowds pumping then to announce the hype three out of the blue just when everyone thought the roster was finished? And we never have found out what the interconnecting features between the versions are yet, and I bet at least one of them is downloading DLC from one to the other, thereby keeping the roster the same on both ends while still giving the Wii U version something to give it a marketing kick even after its portable brethren has been out for some time.

If that's how things go then Nintendo is a freaking genius.
I always find it funny that I thought of this months ago and everybody seemed to think it was an awful idea. Now it turns out everybody thinks it's genius.

I personally think this should be a huge surprise even if we are expecting it.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Honestly, I don't understand why these three are still floating around with their fate for this game up in the air. These three should have been made top priority by the dev team, and should have been revealed a long time ago. If they miss the cut AGAIN, I won't know what to think. Their time is now.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Honestly, I don't understand why these three are still floating around with their fate for this game up in the air. These three should have been made top priority by the dev team, and should have been revealed a long time ago. If they miss the cut AGAIN, I won't know what to think. Their time is now.
Just because we haven't seen them yet (even then Ridley has appeared, albeit ambiguously) doesn't mean they weren't priority. And remember, when hyping something, you'll want to save the best for last, be it 3DS or Wii U launch.

Last edited:

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
I always find it funny that I thought of this months ago and everybody seemed to think it was an awful idea. Now it turns out everybody thinks it's genius.

That's because it is an awful idea and a total scam. Other companies get absolutely smeared for holding back content from games, and rightfully so. But with the recent leaks people have started to worry that none of these 3 are likely to have made the cut, and apparently some folks are desperate enough for Ridley, Mewtwo, and K Rool that they would go along with this.

Connectivity features are fine and dandy, and post-release DLC is cool, but forcing you to buy a $60 game to get important and popular characters for the game you already bought at full price is crazy. It's certainly not something people should be asking for. And for the record, I fully plan to get both versions of this game, but if Nintendo tries holding back content from either one to sell the other I'll be very upset.

Mewtwo is adored internationally, but the other two are significantly less popular in Japan. And also to be fair, we already got Mega Man, who was the #2 most-wanted character even amongst Western fans, above Ridley and K Rool. Also, we got Little Mac, Bowser Jr., Palutena, and Shulk, all of whom were all amongst the top fan requests. It's not like the fan's opinions are being totally ignored.

All that said, I think there's still a tiny chance Mewtwo could make it into the game in some playable form, either as a costume or DLC, or maybe as a final character somehow missed by the leak. Ridley and K Rool's chances are not looking quite so hot, though I honestly never thought they were very likely to get in.

Last edited:

strawhatninja

Smash Ace
NNID
hecticzacattack
3DS FC
4441-9826-4993
I think we all believe and hope they will all be in, but I'm pretty confident at least 2 will make it.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
That's because it is an awful idea and a total scam. Other companies get absolutely smeared for holding back content from games, and rightfully so. But with the recent leaks people have started to worry that none of these 3 are likely to have made the cut, and apparently some folks are desperate enough for Ridley, Mewtwo, and K Rool that they would go along with this.

Connectivity features are fine and dandy, and post-release DLC is cool, but forcing you to buy a $60 game to get important and popular characters for the game you already bought at full price is crazy. It's certainly not something people should be asking for. And for the record, I fully plan to get both versions of this game, but if Nintendo tries holding back content from either one to sell the other I'll be very upset.
I think you're misunderstanding.

The thing we are thinking of (or at least I am) is that some of the characters are locked until the Wii U game is released. Then, when it finally launches, a simple patch will unlock them. Completely free.

That way, you hold back some characters, keep some surprises to maintain the hype until the Wii U version is out and you have the same roster for both versions free of charge.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404

Mewtwo is adored internationally, but the other two are significantly less popular in Japan. And also to be fair, we already got Mega Man, who was the #2 most-wanted character even amongst Western fans, above Ridley and K Rool. Also, we got Little Mac, Bowser Jr., Palutena, and Shulk, all of whom were all amongst the top fan requests. It's not like the fan's opinions are being totally ignored.

All that said, I think there's still a tiny chance Mewtwo could make it into the game in some playable form, either as a costume or DLC, or maybe as a final character somehow missed by the leak. Ridley and K Rool's chances are not looking quite so hot, though I honestly never thought they were very likely to get in.
I'd imagine (and hope) the DLC would be free in terms of holding characters back for the Wii U version. But I do agree that everything should be available from the get-go.

Kinglypuff

Smash Cadet
The main thing against K.Rool is that he's not very relevant to the franchise atm.

People argue that Sakurai adds some "nostalgia characters" but I'd argue it's more about adding "nostalgia franchises" ; Mr G&W, the Ice Climbers or the Duck Hunt Dog (or even Pit, prior to Brawl) are all part of long forgotten franchises.

But the characters added to the still existing, thriving franchises ARE recent and still relevant ; Bowser Jr. and Rosalina are present in the last Mario games, Greninja is a new pokémon from the last generation, Palutena is more popular than ever thanks to KI:U... I don't think it bodes well for K.Rool's chances ; I see Dixie as a far mor probable newcomer.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
They have been trying to distance themselves from Rare to prove they can do a good game without relying on already successful licenses. They don't hate what Rare did, in fact there is a K. Rool easter egg in Tropical Freeze, so it wouldn't be disrespectful to show what Rare did in Smash. In fact, Diddy was created by Rare too, but that isn't disrespectful, apparently.

Also we have not only one but two (and maybe three, if what people claim to have seen is true) Kritters in the game.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
They have been trying to distance themselves from Rare to prove they can do a good game without relying on already successful licenses. They don't hate what Rare did, in fact there is a K. Rool easter egg in Tropical Freeze, so it wouldn't be disrespectful to show what Rare did in Smash. In fact, Diddy was created by Rare too, but that isn't disrespectful, apparently.

Also we have not only one but two (and maybe three, if what people claim to have seen is true) Kritters in the game.
Dixie was also invented by Rare, as was Cranky, technically.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
I don't hold much hope out for post-release patches. If the likes of Ridley aren't in the 3DS game, I'm going to assume that we're not getting him playable.

Still, it's an interesting theory.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I don't hold much hope out for post-release patches. If the likes of Ridley aren't in the 3DS game, I'm going to assume that we're not getting him playable.

Still, it's an interesting theory.
The thing with Ridley is that we know for a fact that he has a gameplay role in the game. If he isn't playable, that's pretty much it for him until the next Smash game.

I would suggest that characters who are Assist Trophies, Stage Bosses/Hazards and Poke Balls are pretty much ruled out as future DLC.

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
I think you're misunderstanding.

The thing we are thinking of (or at least I am) is that some of the characters are locked until the Wii U game is released. Then, when it finally launches, a simple patch will unlock them. Completely free.

That way, you hold back some characters, keep some surprises to maintain the hype until the Wii U version is out and you have the same roster for both versions free of charge.
Thank you for clearing that up. I'm still not a fan of that idea, as 3DS owners without fast internet would essentially be robbed of multiple characters (unless they want to play the 'sit in McDonalds for an hour while my 3DS downloads' game), but it's definitely not on the same level of scamminess as what I was thinking.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Thank you for clearing that up. I'm still not a fan of that idea, as 3DS owners without fast internet would essentially be robbed of multiple characters (unless they want to play the 'sit in McDonalds for an hour while my 3DS downloads' game), but it's definitely not on the same level of scamminess as what I was thinking.
Just to clarify, would it be at all possible to use it without having to connect to a wi-fi spot? Say, using the connection between the 3DS and Wii U to just transfer the data over, much in the same vein as Pokémon trades?

I don't know, I'm not even remotely technically-minded. I think the idea itself is sound, and quite frankly, if it means more characters and added hype, then I'll quite happily accept it.

Rakath

Smash Ace
Technically speaking they would be on disc DLC, something I'm generally against but I can see an allure in this case.

There wouldn't be a 'download at McDonalds for an hour issue,' because you aren't downloading the characters, simply a data pack which opens data on the cart.

Alternatively each of the 'Hype 3' could have a very heavy unlock requirement on cart that is bypassed with Wii-U connectivity, so you don't need a Wii-U yourself, but access to one (which Nintendo is expecting everyone to have local friends to do this with).

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

I agree man. But neither you nor I posted an essay on it.
Shave the sheep one day at a time.

They in fact were the three 'givens' at the launch of the game announcement.
Sakurai wanted characters to be surprises.
He did a hell of a job making them go from 'given' to 'unlikely' just so they could feel to be that much more of an honor in the end, eh?
It will certainly make them feel more appreciated in the end.

I do not blame him at all.

Last edited:

Samuel Intrater

Smash Apprentice
Ridley and Mewtwo=About 50-50 likeliness.
K. Rool=Even though he's my most wanted of the big 3, I don't think he's got much of a chance anymore.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
I agree man. But neither you nor I posted an essay on it.
Shave the sheep one day at a time.

They in fact were the three 'givens' at the launch of the game announcement.
Sakurai wanted characters to be surprises.
He did a hell of a job making them go from 'given' to 'unlikely' just so they could feel to be that much more of an honor in the end, eh?
It will certainly make them feel more appreciated in the end.

I do not blame him at all.
To me, Sakurai doesn't seem like the type to do something strategic like that. He seems like the type to not give a **** about those characters and instead get the Wii Fit Trainer, Dr Mario, and Duck Hunt Dog.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
To me, Sakurai doesn't seem like the type to do something strategic like that. He seems like the type to not give a **** about those characters and instead get the Wii Fit Trainer, Dr Mario, and Duck Hunt Dog.
I see Wii Fit Trainer, Dr Mario, and Duck Hunt Dog, all, as very smart inclusions.
Two of the three I personally really wanted.

Wii Fit Trainer is from the fourth highest selling franchise of all time, Wii Fit. While many claim she was an out of the box character, I thought it was a smart and likely inclusion, particularly noting on the fact that the Wii era did not rake in on the notable franchises. WFT is the Wii.

Dr Mario is here for all those who wanted Melee. So many wanted this competitive game to return, and congrats, here is an homage to the fact that perhaps it is. He is the 1 of these three characters you mention whom I do not want, but honestly, I'd still rather have two Marios if we are going to have Two Lin's and Zelda's (in name, if nothing else- I do not enjoy Adjective characters).

Duck Hunt Dog was one of my top wanted characters, and as far as anyone would be able to convince me is long overdue and "deserved" to be in before more than half the roster we have so far.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yeah, so? These are just the generic Kritters from Mario Super Sluggers. Call me when they start bringing in the other Kremlings that weren't in Mario spin-offs like, I dunno, Kutlass and Krook.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Yeah, so? These are just the generic Kritters from Mario Super Sluggers. Call me when they start bringing in the other Kremlings that weren't in Mario spin-offs like, I dunno, Kutlass and Krook.
Uh, they are also the generic Kritters from the original DKC games. In DKC attire.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Uh, they are also the generic Kritters from the original DKC games. In DKC attire.
Uhh... no. Those Kritters in DKC were naked except for the shoulder pads. The Kritters in Smash Run are based on Paon's design, not Rare's.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Let's not argue over trivial details here, guys.

Some people see it as evidence for King K. Rool; others see it as just a happy coincidence. It could be either or it could be neither. That's no reason to get upset. We all have our own perspectives and views on these issues, and that's okay. ^_^

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm pretty certain the Kritters are based on the Rare components as well, considering they use the headbutt they, as far as remember, ONLY use in DK64.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom