• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It's The End of August and I Believe in the Big Three

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybersai

Smash Ace
I think King K. Rool has the least likely chances. If we get a DK newcomer it'll probably be Dixie.

Likewise if there were TWO DK newcomers, surely at least one of them would have been shown by now. The fact that there hasn't leads me to believe there will only be one, and Dixie would likely be the first choice.

Niala

Smash Ace
The amount of devotion fans have for those three characters this time around is impressive. I hope, for the benefit of the believers, that at least one of them makes the cut.

That being said, I wouldn't expect anybody beyond Mewtwo, personally.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
I only see Mewtwo and Ridley.I don't see why people want K roil when dixie is more likely and more deserving

Last edited by a moderator:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Mewtwo, Ridley and K. Rool are no doubt the 3 most deserving characters to be added inti Smash since the announcement of Smash 4. The Big 3 still are the most worthy characters left of the title "Nintendo All-Star".

While I personally do not care as much about K. Rool, the Donkey Kong series needs another rep and he is the most deserving of that spot. Dixie Kong should be a costume IMO, but since we have Lucina then she should get in as well, but not before a DK series villain.

Ridley should have been put in Melee IMO. It's the game where Sakurai started putting in the main villains, yet for some reason several were left out. He continued to add more in SSBB, but for some reason wasn't adding in the really obvious, really worthy ones. If there are 5 Villains that could represent Nintendo I would have to chose

1. Bowser (soley because he is seen as a good and bad guy which I believe is very Nintendo like)
2. Ganondorf
3. Ridley
4. DeDeDe
5. K. Rool

All of them should have been in Melee, but for some reason only two of them were put in. There was no excuse not to add them by the time SSBB rolled around yet again we only got 1 more. Now, the time is here were Smash 4 is coming out and we are getting characters like Lucina and the Wii Fit Trainer. If some of the most important Nintendo character ever do not make it in this time around I may start to lose my faith in Sakurai.

Sorry.

Mewtwo is very worthy for obvious reasons as he was in Melee and was planned for SSBB. However, also because he represents a lot in pokemon. A lot more than most pokemon represent. Pikachu is the mascot. Charizard is the fan favorite and video game "protagonist" I guess. Lucario is another fan favorite and a good gen 4 rep. Jigglypuff is just there. Mewtwo is arguably a better rep than every pokemon there is except Pikachu and maybe Eevee. This is because he represents the Legendary Pokes. He represents the Pokemon Movie. He represents Pokemon Red/Blue. He represents Team Rocket. He represents evil, but also how pokemon is about non-clear cut good and evil. He represents Gen 1 and Gen 6 and the new mechanic of Mega Evolutions. After Pikachu there is no other Pokemon than can stand up to what Mewtwo represents and if Sakurai can't see that, then I am very sorry.
Add wolf to your list of badass villains plz :D

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
All of them should have been in Melee,.
I disagree. I agree, but disagree. Every character on your roster should have been added in Melee... except Dedede and K. Rool. Dedede at the time (and still is) was not a very good villain. He was like, a playful bully on the elementary school playground. On the other hand is K. Rool. It's harder for me to find an arguement, but I found one: K. Rool was not a primary villain and not necessarily recognizable at the time. Yes, the DKC country games were some of the bestselling games, but for some odd reason I could never get accustomed to the idea of him. Maybe it's because of the disappointing final battle in DKC2? Yup, that's it.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
It's nice to really want those characters and all but I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment pretty hard if you bank on all 3.

Not to be a pessimist or anything. I just think it's better to wait with tempered expectations and be pleasantly surprised than to be expecting something big and get your hopes crushed.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Add wolf to your list of badass villains plz :D
I luv Wolf, but I don't think he's top 5 :(

I disagree. I agree, but disagree. Every character on your roster should have been added in Melee... except Dedede and K. Rool. Dedede at the time (and still is) was not a very good villain. He was like, a playful bully on the elementary school playground. On the other hand is K. Rool. It's harder for me to find an arguement, but I found one: K. Rool was not a primary villain and not necessarily recognizable at the time. Yes, the DKC country games were some of the bestselling games, but for some odd reason I could never get accustomed to the idea of him. Maybe it's because of the disappointing final battle in DKC2? Yup, that's it.
XD K. Rool should have been in Melee precisely because of how well the DKC games did.

As for 3DeDe, he reminds me a lot of Bowser, but I see your point on how is isn't very villain like. Still he is very important to Nintendo and to Sakurai (which is the main reason he was in my top 5).

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I luv Wolf, but I don't think he's top 5 :(

XD K. Rool should have been in Melee precisely because of how well the DKC games did.

As for 3DeDe, he reminds me a lot of Bowser, but I see your point on how is isn't very villain like. Still he is very important to Nintendo and to Sakurai (which is the main reason he was in my top 5).
Top 6 then :awesome:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
It's nice to really want those characters and all but I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment pretty hard if you bank on all 3.

Not to be a pessimist or anything. I just think it's better to wait with tempered expectations and be pleasantly surprised than to be expecting something big and get your hopes crushed.
Oh I am not setting myself up for disappointment. I am fully confident in all the characters in my sig. I do not expect to see more than Ridley and Mewtwo, but I can hope that Sakurai will be wise enough to put all three in.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Those Big 3 need to confirm so people can shut the fack about.
How long he keeping these character away, when fans are making a army of supporter just to freaking putting in smash bros. Since fracking MELEE!?

Even those 3 can't complete "Nintendo All-Star" to ME. But it WILL fill pleased the fans and the represtaion of the series in a better enjoyable way. After those are confirm, Many different characters will be requested. Is not, it will be Ridley all over again.

My Big 3 are Shulk, Isaac and Takamaru! After all, Shulk in, YES! Isaac need to strugle to make in and Takamaru is Assits Trophy.... When Smash 4 came out. I gonna have to add one of my BIG 3. This has been a hard fight.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I'm hoping for K. Rool and Ridley to be in. K. Rool is highly requested in both Japan and the west. Ridley is highly requested in the west as well. Megaman, Palutena, Shulk, and Little Mace are requested characters that got confirmed. Both are hype worthy characters. I think Sakurai could probably save the them for last to generate a ton of hype. Still believing in their chances, but time will tell.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
If anything, Mewtwo's the least likely of the three to deal with any issues of being added. If Doctor Mario comes back, then the Genetic Pokemon sure as hell is next in line.

Ridley, how much you've been implied to be a hazard for over a freaking year with little to no evidence of your playable role. God forbid anyone that throws the "he can be both playable and stage hazard" card. Since Zero Suit Samus is outright implied to be a second rep, Id lost hope in the draconic alien.

King K. Rool, you are definitely in danger thanks to the existence of a certain female ape. If we wound up getting another clone like Dark Pit for Kid Icarus representation his body similarities to a preexisting fighter, then the same thing might happen for the DK series with Dixie Kong. At this point, I'll just say that the pink wearing primate had won round for now with our king crying in the corner.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Mewtwo is currently probably the safest of the Big 3. Ridley is in danger due to the vague role shenanigans, and K.Rool has been endangered by a large amount of silence. All three have huge fanbases, all three have huge demand.
Funny how those most-wanted polls so far have been correct.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I only see Mewtwo and Ridley.I don't see why people want K roil when dixie is more likely and more deserving
In the case of K.Rool/Dixie, I don't see how deservatification is even relevant. If anything, both probably deserve to be in as much, because DK deserves more newcomers. Thing is, K. Rool is simply a more requested character, and K. Rool represents a yet unrepresented part of the DK franchise: the Kremlings.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Hmph. Its that word. Being thrown around again.
"Deserving"
Deserving, unique, and female are the new buzzwords when it comes to newcomers.

Also Dixie was going to be in Brawl so she has that over K. Rool. His popularity won't matter if Sakurai saw potential in Dixie first. And not to bring up patterns but Sakurai usually adds characters that he couldn't include in the previous game.

Last edited:

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
The vagueness about Ridley drives me crazy. I wouldn't have even *cared* about him if it weren't for that. If Sakurai didn't directly disconfirm virtually every other non-playable character since PotD started, Ridley being out yet again would have been a done deal. Sakurai has been concise about who's off the plate, which leads me to believe that though the 3DS leak shows off the final roster, it's not the final roster thanks to DLC.

I also feel this is why Mewtwo hasn't been accounted for. At least Ridley has been implied to be a hazard, but where's Mewtwo, considering he's the most requested around the world?

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
The vagueness about Ridley drives me crazy. I wouldn't have even *cared* about him if it weren't for that. If Sakurai didn't directly disconfirm virtually every other non-playable character since PotD started, Ridley being out yet again would have been a done deal. Sakurai has been concise about who's off the plate, which leads me to believe that though the 3DS leak shows off the final roster, it's not the final roster thanks to DLC.

I also feel this is why Mewtwo hasn't been accounted for. At least Ridley has been implied to be a hazard, but where's he, considering he's the most requested around the world?
Mewtwo is actually most requested around the world I think. Ridley has most of his fanbase in the west.

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627
I do believe Ridley and Mewtwo. I'm still sceptical on K. Rool however mainly due to the fact that very few "leaks" have mentioned him.

I want him in, but I've sort of accepted his unlikelyness.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
I do believe Ridley and Mewtwo. I'm still sceptical on K. Rool however mainly due to the fact that very few "leaks" have mentioned him.

I want him in, but I've sort of accepted his unlikelyness.
Well, those leaks were fake, so...

I agree he is the most unlikely of the Big/Hype Three, but still, I can see it happening over Dixie.

ikemachine

Smash Apprentice
i really think the big three will just be day one DLC for when the wii u version comes out to generate more hype for the game

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
All for it. At least one of them needs to be in the game. Personally, I want Mewtwo, but think the other 2 deserve to be in as well.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
It would make it seem like Sakurai doesn't think they are as worthy of a spot as the other newcomers, so I wouldn't like it.
I think it would be quite the opposite. Saving the big ones to surprise us all later would be Sakurai's way of showing he acknowledges how important they are and how he can use them to create hype.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
It would make it seem like Sakurai doesn't think they are as worthy of a spot as the other newcomers, so I wouldn't like it.
Not to say at this day there still are people with no Internet, and they would get screwed.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
I think it would be quite the opposite. Saving the big ones to surprise us all later would be Sakurai's way of showing he acknowledges how important they are and how he can use them to create hype.
Or he could have put the big three in in the first place to show that he acknowledges how important they are and have the clones (Lucina, Dit, and Dario) as DLC to show how he can create hype.

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627
Well, those leaks were fake, so...

I agree he is the most unlikely of the Big/Hype Three, but still, I can see it happening over Dixie.
Maybe, but all the talk of Dixie does have me worries for him.

I fully want a third DK rep, but Dixie is low on my wishlist behind K. Rool and Cranky.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
Maybe, but all the talk of Dixie does have me worries for him.

I fully want a third DK rep, but Dixie is low on my wishlist behind K. Rool and Cranky.
To be completely honest I have started to see people support Dixie ever since a leak surfaced with her on it. That leak ended up being fake, but everyone started supporting her back then. K. Rool, however, has had support for a long long long time now.

Also he's ranked high on the worldwide popularity polls, while Dixie isn't even there. And K. Rool is far more important for the DK series than Dixie.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
At the beginning, I was only a Mewtwo supporter. I was bummed that he was cut from Brawl, and he was suffereing through a bout of irrelevance at that point. Yeah, he was terrible in Melee, but still, it was Mewtwo. I was with Pokémon when it started, and I don't care who they pull up now, Mewtwo will always be the most powerful Pokémon to me.

Since then, he's gotten a signature move (Psystrike), TWO Mega Evolutions (the only Pokémon besides Charizard), one of which was used to tease MegaEvos, and been featured in two new movies. Mewtwo has regained his relevancy.

Going into SSB4, I was really pulling for Ganondorf and Mewtwo, but as I got into the characters more I started to support Ridley and K.Rool as well. The threads on this board really got me hyped up, to the point that if Ridley is not in the game, I'd actually be really bummed (not to mention that it would be a REALLY stupid business decision for Sakurai to tease Ridley for a year, only to piss off the fanbase right before release)

Point is, the big three are hands down the most requested characters in the entire fanbase, now that Megaman is in the game. We know Sakurai listens to fans (since Sonic was shoehorned into Brawl, causing Mewtwo to get the axe), so he should listen now. I think that Ridley is in, Mewtwo most likey, and K.Rool may be cut but be one of the first newcomers for DLC, after veterans like Wolf and (hopefully) Squirtle and Ivysaur return

The big 3 would make a lot of people happy with the roster, even with Dark Pit. And if most of the fanbase likes the roster, then you can say it's a favorite character game. End of story.

GO MEWTWO!
GO RIDLEY!
GO K.ROOL!

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I'm pretty sure we'll get at least one of these three as part of the remaining roster the leak didn't have.

I... don't know if it'd be Mewtwo. I'm not anti-Mewtwo at all and Lucario is not a clone of him but they're similar enough that I think Sakurai shows Lucario as a suitable replacement because Lucario as a Pokemon is popular (For some reason).

I would be pessimistic about K. Rool but honestly... The facts that a) We haven't seen any DK stages yet (Possibly meaning we're getting some Gangplank Galleon yo. Leak had no DK stages either so it'd make sense for it to unlock w/ K. Rool) and b) the Kremlings in Smash run are telling... in one way or another. It's not necessarily the case that an enemy in Smash Run means a character representing that faction (To be honest I still don't believe we'll be seeing Rhythm Heaven representation but if I'm wrong, whatever) but it shows that Sakurai doesn't feel like the Kremlings aren't relevant to the DK series and thus may have included K Rool as a playable fighter. OR this is Sakurai throwing the K Rool fans a bone by saying "Hey we haven't forgotten about you. I didn't add him this time but there's always a possibility next time." I don't know what to think, really. My gut says he'll show up in SSB5. But I'd like to see him this time. EDIT: BUT I'd rather have Dixie Kong, so long as she's not a clone.

Ridley though. Ridley is a character that I personally don't care a whole hell of a lot for as himself- Looking at the Ridley debate though, I'm definitely pro-inclusion. Metroid is a series that is GLORIOUS in many ways but in terms of fighters, it's just represented by Samus. Twice. And Metroid as a franchise has sold quite a bit more than Star Fox has as a franchise. But SF gets three characters... Sure they're all very similar-playing characters but they're still in Smash. And anyone using the too-big argument non-facetiously needs to get their brain examined at this point. Two words: Bowser's Bathtub. I feel like Sakurai's been teasing Ridley for too long and consistently to then later be like "nope he's just a boss." I think that if he were to disconfirm him then it would have been in the Smash Direct. That would have been enough time ahead to let them down and get used to the idea and then rebuild hype in other areas (Just like me with Ivysaur). As it is... If it just leaks from Japan that Ridley's not in, the Ridley fans are going to be bitter and possibly not buy the game, at least for a while. And there are a LOT of Ridley fans. There's honestly no reason for Sakurai not to include him.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Is this just...a blind faith thing? Conversely for me it is the end of August and I think all three are out of luck bar some DLC addition.

Ridley's going to be a stage hazard boss. He won't be DLC because he's already got a role in Stage Hazard boss. Sakurai's not going to budge on him.

Mewtwo is going to be a trophy. Maybe DLC if he's really lucky. The only one I can see happening.

King K. Rool is not only not going to be playable in Smash 4, he's most likely going to be missing from the next DKC game yet again.

FangedSniper

Smash Apprentice
If we're discussing our "Big Three's"...

Bandana Dee

K.Rool

Rayman

Runner up is Sceptile/Mewtwo

Also, am I the only one who thinks that Cranky Kong would make for a better DK rep than Dixie? If the only reason people are promoting Dixie over K.Rool is Tropical Freeze, and Cranky Kong was playable in that game too, Cranky Kong should have just as much of a chance as Dixie, no? And you have unique moveset potential with the Cane Hop and Squakers the parrot, while Dixie is literally just replace Diddy Kong's tail whip with her hair and the JETPACKS with hair helicopter. K.Rool is my priority for the 3rd DK rep, but if we get a fourth I think it should be the original kong.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom