• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Forum Game: The Great Roster Judging Competition (Register for the Villains-only Contest!)

Should everyone use my criteria for judging?

• Yes

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
I don't get why you say for one roster like Snake is okay as a cut while you would still like to see him again and for another roster you point the Snake cut as a bad one while saying the same. It would be nice if you could at least threat the same argument the same way in both cases. You should know if you want any cut to be pointed out as a bad one or if you were fine by tolerating the cut. I hope you get the point I mean :)

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I don't get why you say for one roster like Snake is okay as a cut while you would still like to see him again and for another roster you point the Snake cut as a bad one while saying the same. It would be nice if you could at least threat the same argument the same way in both cases. You should know if you want any cut to be pointed out as a bad one or if you were fine by tolerating the cut. I hope you get the point I mean :)
I count Snake's cut as a bad point. When I say Snake being cut is OK, it is not because it is good, Snake's cut always results in a bad point. Even when I say "Snake would be good but he is understandable for a cut", Snake's cut is still present as a bad point, the good part is not Snake being cut, it is the one who cut Snake trying to avoid the cuts. Sometimes, I don't post every single bad thing or every single good thing, because I want to post the same number of good and bad things for reasons I explained Pacack before.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Hey Tepig, I've been wondering about this for a while now (and now that you've judged mine I may as well ask it, aha); what is the difference between these two categories?
Retro series is characters that come from old NES ad other old console games. Like the Ice Climbers. Obscure/historical are characters that are important to Nintendo and may not have originated from video-games. An example of that is Daitoryo. He never appeared in a game but is important to Nintendo as he represents the very start of it before it was making games. R.O.B. is another example of obscure/historical character.

splat

Smash Lord
Retro series is characters that come from old NES ad other old console games. Like the Ice Climbers. Obscure/historical are characters that are important to Nintendo and may not have originated from video-games. An example of that is Daitoryo. He never appeared in a game but is important to Nintendo as he represents the very start of it before it was making games. R.O.B. is another example of obscure/historical character.

Right, that's what I kind of figured - though I'd use the term 'hardware characters' or something alike; which I tried to represent through Mii and WFT.
Oh well, thanks for clearing it up!

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Right, that's what I kind of figured - though I'd use the term 'hardware characters' or something alike; which I tried to represent through Mii and WFT.
Oh well, thanks for clearing it up!
Just want to chirp in; the defining characteristic of R.O.B. and Mr. Game and Watch is that they represent a period in Nintendo's history; not that they are "hardware" characters. Also, the historical character has been obscure both times, so that's one thing you need to watch out for.

splat

Smash Lord
Just want to chirp in; the defining characteristic of R.O.B. and Mr. Game and Watch is that they represent a period in Nintendo's history; not that they are "hardware" characters. Also, the historical character has been obscure both times, so that's one thing you need to watch out for.
Just a quick reply to this, I don't intend (nor do I want to) to derail this thread.
Mii can be considered to be the representative of the current time in Nintendo's history: in that they allow personalization and online capabilities in various games. Sure it may not be 'historical' yet, but does represent the modern era of Nintendo gaming.
Also, two characters does not make a pattern - especially with Sakurai spearheading the development of the game.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Just a quick reply to this, I don't intend (nor do I want to) to derail this thread.
Mii can be considered to be the representative of the current time in Nintendo's history: in that they allow personalization and online capabilities in various games. Sure it may not be 'historical' yet, but does represent the modern era of Nintendo gaming.
Also, two characters does not make a pattern - especially with Sakurai spearheading the development of the game.
But it's not obscure, which is a big thing about those two characters.

And sure, two characters does not make a pattern, but it's reasonable to draw a conclusion from that. Otherwise, we wouldn't be predicting Takamaru, now, would we?

Kon

Smash Journeyman
But it's not obscure, which is a big thing about those two characters.

And sure, two characters does not make a pattern, but it's reasonable to draw a conclusion from that. Otherwise, we wouldn't be predicting Takamaru, now, would we?
However looking at Nintendoland games, his franchise is represented in this Nintendo game featuring many series so he is also now again in some way important and I guess that's what makes Takamaru more likely than others.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
However looking at Nintendoland games, his franchise is represented in this Nintendo game featuring many series so he is also now again in some way important and I guess that's what makes Takamaru more likely than others.

This does seem to be the main reason people bring up Takamaru so much. I'm not sure how many people would even think about him if it wasn't for that one mini game...

Which reminds me:

I don't remember Duck Hunt Dog getting such fan support for Brawl because Wii Play included a modern day Duck Hunt mini game, nor Bubbles from Clu Clu Land for Brawl, when she was a cameo playable character in DK: King of Swing.

Someone please explain to me why Takamaru is so special. I genuinely don't get why he's THE retro choice.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Someone please explain to me why Takamaru is so special. I genuinely don't get why he's THE retro choice.
He brings quite new things to the table as being a samurai summoning flaming fireballs. His game is an underrated classic at the level of Kid Icarus and Metroid, and was considered if Takamaru had a new game. (In which he did in Nintendoland)

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
He brings quite new things to the table as being a samurai summoning flaming fireballs. His game is an underrated classic at the level of Kid Icarus and Metroid, and was considered if Takamaru had a new game. (In which he did in Nintendoland)
Ballon Fighter brings a lot of new things. He could have a unique gimmick with his ballons, having better jumping but worse speed when he has more ballons, when he has no ballons he is fast but has weak jumps. A stat-altering character would be cool. He also is at the level of Ice Climbers and has a minigame in Nintendo Land too.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Ballon Fighter brings a lot of new things. He could have a unique gimmick with his ballons, having better jumping but worse speed when he has more ballons, when he has no ballons he is fast but has weak jumps. A stat-altering character would be cool. He also is at the level of Ice Climbers and has a minigame in Nintendo Land too.
It's probably his time now to be with Takamaru, but people are saying Villager's recovery deconfirms it. And there's not much discussion about it unlike Toad.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
It's probably his time now to be with Takamaru, but people are saying Villager's recovery deconfirms it. And there's not much discussion about it unlike Toad.
I don't think a reference to Ballon Fighter in Villager's moveset is that much. Mario has a Wario costume despite Wario being playable anyaway.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Nick's Ssb4 roster 2_0 v_3 Roster.png

the smash nerd's roster is the next one.

Mario series: I don't think Shadow Mario should be there. It is not that important to Bowser Jr.'s character. But Bowser Jr. is great.

Donkey Kong series: It is cool how you prefer Dixie over K. Rool. It looked like I'm the only one who prefers her. But K. Rool would make this perfect.

The Legend of Zelda series: Impa is good, but Tetra and Tingle are better. I doubt we will get a Zelda newcomer.

Metroid: Should have Ridley.

Yoshi series: Perfect.

Kirby series: As much as I like Bandane Dee, he is too unlikely. Maybe in Smash 5 or 6?

Star Fox series: Wolf should be there instead of Krystal.

Pokémon series: Meowth and Genesect are cool but they should not be in over Lucario and Pokémon Trainer.

F Zero series: Perfect.

Mother series: Lucas should not be cut.

Fire Emblem series: Marth is confirmed already, he should be in.

Wario series: As much as I love her, Ashley is impossible.

Kid Icarus series: Remove Magnus from it.

Pikmin series: Remove Charlie. If a Pikmin newcomer would happen it should be Louie but it is more likely we will have just Olimar.

Retro series: Wait. There is no retros in there!

Obscure/historical series: Just Mr. Game and Watch?

Other series: Perfect.

Third-Party series: Snake should be there, but he is an okay cut.

Series balance would be good if it had any retros.

Good

- Creative choices (Impa, Saki)

- Almost perfect series balance (the reason it is not perfect is explained below)

Bad

- No retros

- You went over the creativity limit and added unlikely characters (Charlie, Magnus, Ashley)

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Nazo no murasame-jo was supposed to be a parallel series to zelda, similar to kid icarus - metroid.
For some reason the series were forgotten and we end getting a mario - zelda kind of parallelism, but that relation was also kinda dropped.

Takamaru always had some support, start getting big after his appareance in samurai warriors 3, but is only recently with nintendo land that people think in him as a must have and parallel to little mac.

For me YES, he needs to be this time, is the best moment to make him even more popular and start a new franchise like they did with pit.
Mach Rider was a nother strong candidate, supposedly nintendo was planing a new game for 3DS but we dont have more news about it, so takamaru pls.
Tingle > Alice > Hello Kitty > Balloon Fighter > Bomberman.
:3

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
HLCNzPP.png

It is time for Cheezey Bites's roster!

Mario series: Perfect.

Donkey Kong series: Nothing bad, Dixie would make it better, but it is still perfect.

The Legend Of Zelda series: I don't think we will get a newcomer, but Toon Zelda is the best choice for one and it looks better with the big three having the same number of slots in the roster.

Metroid series: Perfect.

Kirby series: Perfect.

Star Fox series: Perfect.

Pokémon series: Perfect.

F Zero series: I LOVE that you added a newcomer. And it is the better choice for a F Zero newcomer too.

Mother series: Perfect.

Fire Emblem series: I don't think we will get Lucina. Chrom should be alone.

Kid Icarus series: Perfect.

Wario series: Perfect.

Pikmin series: Perfect.

Retro series: Could have one more.

Obscure/historical series: Perfect.

Third-Party series: Slime is a creative and good choice. However is Slime means Snake cut I prefer Snake returning.

Series balance is perfect.

Good

- Perfect series balance

- Cool choices for newcomers

Bad

- Slime should not replace Snake

- Chrom should be alone

Also I want to say something: when I say the good and bad points, I am not showing all of them. I am keeping some of the good and bad points secret. So your roster may have more good or bad points than I said.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
3DS Roster4.png

Now it is time for MaskO'Gears's roster.

Mario series: Waluigi is good, but I don't think he is the best choice for newcomer. Still not bad.

Donkey Kong series: Would be perfect with Dixie, but she not being there does not count as a bad point.

The Legend Of Zelda series: Skull Kid is not important enough to the franchise.

Kirby series: Bandana Dee is not that likely, but he is not impossible, so perfect.

Star Fox series: Put Wolf back. If someone should be cut it should be Falco since Wolf is more unique, but Falco being cut would count as a bad point too.

Pokémon series: Bring Pokémon Trainer back.

Fire Emblem series: Remove Ana and put Ike back. Four characters is not bad as long as Marth and Ike are there.

Retro series: I only see the Ice Climbers. Should have more.

Third-Party series: Remove Layton, put Snake back. Layton is not that bad but Snake being back is better.

Good

- Perfect series balance

- Really needed newcomers

Bad

- Unlikely characters

- Bad cuts

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
PredictionRoster4Roster_zps169de13b.png

Surprise! I decided to do two analysis today! Now it is time for Opossum's roster.

Mario series: Should have a newcomer.

Donkey Kong series: Perfect.

The Legend Of Zelda series: Perfect.

Fire Emblem series: Perfect.

Retro series: Could have one more but okay.

Obscure/historical series: Could use a newcomer.

Third-Party series: Perfect.

Good

- Perfect series balance

- No cuts

Bad

- Lack of Mario newcomer

- Lack of obscure/historical newcomer

Kon

Smash Journeyman
I don't think a reference to Ballon Fighter in Villager's moveset is that much. Mario has a Wario costume despite Wario being playable anyaway.
You can't put Ballon Fighter/Villager on the same level as Mario/Wario, sorry but that would be ridiculous. We don't speek of a costume the Villager could have being a reference to Ballon Fighter. The most unique move of Ballon Fighter(the only move I can figure out for Ballon Fighter anyways) is part of the Villagers moveset. Mario in Wario costume was still Mario and had no single Wario-typical move. If you want to bring arguments, please think of examples that are at least reasonable.
You could have said that Falco and Fox are pretty close in point of moveset and because of that it, Ballon Fighter shouldn't be suggested as deconfirmed yet. However even for such an argument we could say that Ballon Fighter still can be considered more unlikely.

By the way:
I know that you won't change your way of judging for this round, but for the next rounds: Wouldn't it be better to list all the positive and negative points without trying to get a 2:2 balance? I mean you have your criteria and if there are more things you can't really imagine, why don't list them all. Same goes for a roster where you like most things and still have to put somehow two negative points in. I mean if you're totally fine with the roster, there's no problem in my opinion to put only one or even no negative point in if you can't see a real problem. I hope in the next judging rounds this can be done the way all negative and positive points are listed. Just my two points to make :)

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
By the way:
I know that you won't change your way of judging for this round, but for the next rounds: Wouldn't it be better to list all the positive and negative points without trying to get a 2:2 balance? I mean you have your criteria and if there are more things you can't really imagine, why don't list them all. Same goes for a roster where you like most things and still have to put somehow two negative points in. I mean if you're totally fine with the roster, there's no problem in my opinion to put only one or even no negative point in if you can't see a real problem. I hope in the next judging rounds this can be done the way all negative and positive points are listed. Just my two points to make :)
I post the same amount of positive and negative points because I dont want to spoil the score everyone got. If I post 3 negative and 0 positive points for someone and 3 positive and 0 negative ones for another one the another one knows that he will win. This makes everyone think "I won?. If I posted all the positive and negative points the one who has more positives and less negatives will be like "Yeah I won" before I announce the winner. Also I won't be the judge in the next rounds. The one who wins judges the next round.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
s89z.png

Now it is time for Zhadgon's roster!

Mario series: Should have a newcomer.

Pokémon series: Lucario should return.

Fire Emblem series: Perfect, but a newcomer would be good too.

Kid Icarus series: I'm surprised Palutena is not there. That is not a bad point however.

Good

- Perfect series balance

- Almost no cuts

Bad

- Lucario cut

- No Mario newcomer

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
SSB4RosterRoster_zps2b907ee0.png

Now it is time for Scatmansworld25's roster.

The Legend Of Zelda series: Remove Vaati.

Fire Emblem series: Replace Robin with Chrom.

Obscure/historical series: Could have one more.

Good

- No cuts

- Perfect series balance

Bad

- Robin

- Vaati

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
lack.png

I will now judge Keybladeguy's roster.

Donkey Kong series: Dixie should be her own character.

Metroid series: Should have Ridley.

Fire Emblem series: Could have a newcomer, but not bad.

Kid Icarus series: Surprised to not see Palutena, but that is not a bad point.

Obscure/historical series: Needs a newcomer.

Third-Party series: Bring Snake back.

Good

- Perfect series balance

Bad

- Snake cut

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
You say Snake isn't likely to return (He's NOT coming back, people) yet you want me to bring him back lolwhat?

Ridley's not happening either. Sakurai STILL thinks he's too big.

Those are my reasons.

You wanted a prediction, right?

Not to mention Pac-Man > Snake ANY DAMN DAY

ANF **** I FORGOT ISAAC

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
You say Snake isn't likely to return (He's NOT coming back, people) yet you want me to bring him back lolwhat?

Ridley's not happening either. Sakurai STILL thinks he's too big.

Those are my reasons.

You wanted a prediction, right?

Not to mention Pac-Man > Snake ANY DAMN DAY

ANF **** I FORGOT ISAAC
I don't think he is unlikely. I think he is the most likely cut, but still has good chances of returning.

And sorry, "Ridley is too big" does not matter to me. It has been proved false. Ridley can work.

And why not have both Pac-Man and Snake? 4 Third-Parties is not that much.

Don't worry about Isaac. The "other series" part is still good without him.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Snake was only in because Kojima wanted him in and BEGGED. He's happened, he's no longer the BEES KNEES.
Ridley isn't too big - I know it, you know it... Sakurai just doesn't know it.
I needed room for Shulk. It was a 3rd Party eading out the door, and I'd rather have Pac-Man myself.
I still can't believe I forgot one of my favorite characters though.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Snake was only in because Kojima wanted him in and BEGGED. He's happened, he's no longer the BEES KNEES.
Ridley isn't too big - I know it, you know it... Sakurai just doesn't know it.
I needed room for Shulk. It was a 3rd Party eading out the door, and I'd rather have Pac-Man myself.
I still can't believe I forgot one of my favorite characters though.
Yeah I's rather have Pac-Man but I just dislike cuts.

And how you needed room? There is no limit of characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom