• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

JumpFesta Thread

Chuc

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3540-0027-2288
Oh I also forgot to mention that Pokemon trainer was also featured in the repeating trailer, so I guess you can expect some action from him in future trailer releases.

Noshiee

Smash Ace
does the that repeating video thingy showed Lucass second jump, his standard combo, front and down tilt, up and down aerial, throws, and his specials (this ones just to know how effective they looked like, and if they are better than before, distance, and if the damage meter was shown, how powerful they were)

just wondering :p

blayde_axel

Smash Master
wait I am confused.

do they mean that Lucas wasn't voiced at all or that he is voiced by a non-Japanese voice actor??
I think they mean Lucas has an American voice. Which wouldn't make sense seeing as it's the whole "Japan Only" thing.

Unless Mother's based is an American-like setting. Like Earthbound was.

sfox8

Smash Journeyman
does the that repeating video thingy showed Lucass second jump, his standard combo, front and down tilt, up and down aerial, throws, and his specials (this ones just to know how effective they looked like, and if they are better than before, distance, and if the damage meter was shown, how powerful they were)

just wondering :p
Sooo... basically: "Did they show every one of Lucas' moves?"

I doubt it.

And yeah, they're upset that Lucas has an American voice actor instead of a japanese one.

Even if he's a japan-only character, I don't see how it's that much of a big deal. Maybe they just couldn't get a japanese actor for him.

We had to deal with marth having a japanese voice so...

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
Unless Mother's based is an American-like setting. Like Earthbound was.
Yeah, it is. I don't see what there is to complain about since it's very unlikely that Lucas will actually speak... So they'd be complaining about his attack yells and short one-word taunts being English >_>

BleachMan!

Smash Apprentice

I doubt it.

And yeah, they're upset that Lucas has an American voice actor instead of a japanese one.

Even if he's a japan-only character, I don't see how it's that much of a big deal. Maybe they just couldn't get a japanese actor for him.

I don't see why they can't have just two. They had it with fox, falco, and soon to be snake. Although Capt Falcon just had an american one. not like it matters anyway, as long as it's not in French

blayde_axel

Smash Master
Yeah, it is. I don't see what there is to complain about since it's very unlikely that Lucas will actually speak... So they'd be complaining about his attack yells and short one-word taunts being English >_>
I see nothing wrong with it... but everyone knows Silver hates Lucas's voice actor.

Noshiee

Smash Ace

I doubt it.

actually the ones I listed are the only moves that are not known, and I just wanted to know if they were shown.

Anyway, I really dont care about the voise-acting, as long as its good and is not the same as Nesss.

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
What are you basing your hatred of his voice off of? That half-second clip of him swinging the bat?

Shishou

Smash Apprentice
So a little blonde boy is talking in English? What is this non-sense, he should obviously be speaking Japanese since he is so obviously from that region.

Ironic that he has an English VA but is Japan only.

Sunshine

Smash Rookie
So a little blonde boy is talking in English? What is this non-sense, he should obviously be speaking Japanese since he is so obviously from that region.

Ironic that he has an English VA but is Japan only.
IIRC, the Mother games are based off of America.
In Mother 2, Eagleland is supposed to be America.
And Mother 3 has New Pork City, which is a play on New York City.

So I don't think it's that strange.

S2

Smash Lord
Evidently some people in Japan didn't like how Lucas spoke English.

I find this funny... considering he's supposed to be American (Mother games are a fictionalized USA).

Shishou

Smash Apprentice
I do like how Japanese people think they have a right to complain about Lucas's voice. Least they got the **** game he is from.

Rash

Smash Ace
Seriously. They think they can complain, yet they actually got the game, and all the fans of the other Earthbound titles (myself included) were left in the dust.

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
So, I got to play Brawl on Sunday. I only got to play twice (each time you wait in line you get two games) because I had to leave right after that to catch my plane flight back to California. Some impressions / updates:

• First off, it was definitely a new demo version. You guys all know that. Wario and Kirby were in, DK and Sonic out (which kinda sucked, I really wanted to play as Sonic)
  • First off I noticed Bosnly was in as a pokemon...not sure if he was in at the E 4 All demo. Secondly, the Sandbag was an item. I don't think it did anything, just sort of sat there as Mario beat up on it
  • The videos they played for us did have Zelda, Pokemon Trainer, and Lucas fighting, as well as one of Snake. Lucas looked better than Ness, definitely had some different moves, though I can't really remember what, sorry. Pokemon Trainer's Ivysaur showed off his bullet seed and vine whip, as well as what I think his up-smash is (his vines spin around at a slant like a fan). Charizard was also shown doing a tail whip, then doing his final smash. IMO he actually looked pretty slow and not that good...Squirtle also looked really weak...I don't know if he's going to be the powerful character I was hoping for, we'll just have to see. Finally, Zelda's attacks that I saw (air up a, forward b, and up b) were all the same.
  • Extra stages playable were indeed the Summit (or whatever they call the top of the Ice Climber's mountain), the Wario Ware stage, and Temple.
  • For the Summit level I saw that if you were floating in the water for more than 2 seconds the giant fish would come and eat you. Wairo went straight down the water while on his motorcycle...that's about all i saw from other games being played
  • I played on Temple for my first fight. Chose Diddy, regular costume. First thing I realized was that Diddy's regular B is where he leaps at players...kinda useless. Also, his air up-a sucks, I couldn't kill a Kirby with 150% near the top of Temple. Barely sent him anywhere. Temple is the exact same as the Melee version, no different sizes on things, nothing's redone. I got to Sudden Death with a Yoshi but got cheaped under the Temple stage by the same 12 year old kid who chose Temple...sigh
  • Diddy Kong can wall jump, did so on Temple
  • Second match was on Wario Ware (the lady asked if anyone wanted to pick a stage so I raised my hand and this time chose a new stage so I could report on it). I chose Wario, regular costume, so we could have some new info on him as well. I noticed he only had like 4 costumes, one of which was a cool red and black one. Anyways, about the character. His B moves are:
  • B: Bite (he tries to bite the opponent, I think he moves forward a little, if you get them he'll chew on them for about 12% then spit them out)
  • Forward B: Motorcycle. Basically like Yoshi's egg but I think it comes out faster. Also once you get off it falls on the ground and you can pick it up and throw it at people, causing it break even more so you can pick up more pieces to throw. So yes, it looks like those kinds of "causing throwable items" moves will be more popular.
  • Up B: Wario Spin. He just spins up in the air...woopie. I think it hurts a little, not sure, never hit anyone with it
  • Down B: Wario Waft - Only got this off once, really. I tried to hold down the button to see if I could charge it but no good. He just farted and went about as high as you could go from one platform on the Wario Ware level to the one above you (not very far at all, like from the ground on Poke Stadium to the platform). Hurt Ike a little, but I don't think I got him in the full blast. Seemed pretty crappy
  • Other Wario impressions: I had a tougher time using him than Diddy. Granted the stage was smaller and the fight was more frantic, so I can't really say. His dash a (I think that's what it was), where he does a shoulder dash, seemed really powerful. His motorcycle, fart, and bite seemed hard to use, but again, that's only after one round with him
  • Wario Ware stage impressions: Basically it works like this. You start off on the main stage, which has four platforms, two on the left and two on the right, and the background is black with a door behind it. It's basically the screen inbetween the minigames in the Wario Ware games. You fight there for about 30 seconds, then once those 30 seconds or so pass, the screen opens up and the arena changes. It changes to one of the Wario Ware minigames, such as the raining with the umbrella and hte cat, where the ninja shoots arrows, etc. (those are the only two I remember, sorry). You can get hurt by the rain or the arrows, but I think what really matters if completeing the minigame. If you complete it (such as not getting hit by the arrows or staying under the umbrella), when the screen changes again back to the main stage, you get a big circle around you. Now, the first time I completed it and got a circle, immediately after me and the only other guy who also got a circle each grew bigger (like getting a free max mushroom). Another time, people with X's (people who didn't complete the minigame) shrunk. Now, I'm not sure if something bad ALWAYS happens, because I can only remember shrinking and growing, and even if I got an X or an O I didn't always grow, but whether or not I got another power-up and I just didn't know it, I don't know. Anyways, seemed like a really fun stage, but I bet it'll be banned in tournaments.
  • Gameplay impressions: Yes, much much slower, you fall at about half the speed. Also, I felt more like I was just a wall of damage moreso than a combo machine. But again, it was just after two battles, so I can't really say much. IMO it'll be awesome when it comes out.

Shishou

Smash Apprentice
Can you give us any impressions on the speed of Wario's attacks? Such as his smashes or how fast his B moves come out?

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Can you give us any impressions on the speed of Wario's attacks? Such as his smashes or how fast his B moves come out?
Again, I don't have much experience with the game, only two rounds, but I felt like his forward smash was pretty slow, um his bike I kept accidentally calling out and I think it gets called out pretty fast but the knockback is really low (I never actually hit anybody dead on with it)...hmm what else...wario waft seemed pretty instant, um other than that I was just trying to survive, like most people. I did get the Smash ball and tried to do his Smash attack but accidentally did his bike (again....>_<) and then got hit and lost the Smash ball, so unfortunately I didn't get to see it in action :(

But yeah, biggest thing I feel like I can add to the list of random little facts is that you can pick up his bike after using it (every time, too) and how the Wario Ware stage works.

Maggirus

Smash Journeyman
Sry for making questions, but I want to know more. ;) ..:

In your first fight, you were fighting Kirby. Do you think he was better/much better than in Melee? Do you saw big differences between Melee Kirby and Brawl Kirby?

And thank you for the nice information. :)

Maggirus

Gill

Smash Journeyman
Thanks so much for the Wario info, Kokichi.

They should've used Spring Wario from Wario Land for his up-B :\

Dry Bones

Smash Ace
oh yeah, i was curious about kirby as well...

also, can i ask what your impressions were regarding Lucas' voice, if you did hear it? i only ask since a lot of people seemed upset about it...

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Apparently visitors got a pamphlet about Brawl! Nothing new, but it just looks awesome.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t14/darkzokie/File2/c83748d6.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t14/darkzokie/File2/f5960208.jpg

Credit goes to zokie for finding the images.

EDIT: Left out the IMG tags. Images too big.
Yup, I got my ticket and pamphlet thing to. I was going to post pix but since you already did I guess I don't have to :) They tore the little tab on the bottom of the ticket where the white kanji is before you went and played, but I went with my girlfriend and she didn't want to play so I have one that's ripped and one that isn't :)

Sry for making questions, but I want to know more. ;) ..:

In your first fight, you were fighting Kirby. Do you think he was better/much better than in Melee? Do you saw big differences between Melee Kirby and Brawl Kirby?

And thank you for the nice information. :)

Maggirus
I tried to watch as many Kirby fights as I could to get a better idea of his level. First thing that comes to mind is that his hammer, when you use it in the air, is now a horizontal attack, not a vertical swing like it was before. This might actually make it more useful. I saw it kill Ike when he was at like 100%, which I think means it's pretty powerful in this game. It still seemed like it had a slow take out time, but I think it got buffed. Aside from that it was hard to judge, but from the looks of it he was definitely more solid than in Melee. He didn't seem to be kicking a lot of *** (again, everyone is just trying out the game), but he wasn't flying everywhere like I thought he would be. IMO he got some buffs, but to what extent I can't really say.

oh yeah, i was curious about kirby as well...

also, can i ask what your impressions were regarding Lucas' voice, if you did hear it? i only ask since a lot of people seemed upset about it...
No, actually I didn't get to hear Lucas' voice, I only found out about that after reading posts here. It was loud and I was really excited and talking to my girlfriend a lot of the time, so I guess I must have missed it. I did watch the videos though - they played a new collection of fights that I'm sure will make its way to the Dojo soon, as well as the introductory "How To Fight" video with Mario fighting Bowser (which, by the way, when Mario shielded Bowser's regular-B fire, had MASSIVE knockback...I don't know if Gimpy had commented on that earlier or not, but I was surprised). Also, the stage used was that tennis-court looking stage where you presumably fight Petey Piranah...just saying.

So yeah, guess I can't talk about Lucas' voice, but I can't imagine any Japanese person being upset about it if it's in English. Anytime something is in English over in Japan, they think it's cool. I played Pokemon with a few guys and they thought it was the coolest thing to see Pokemon in English (and I thought it was cool for Japanese ^^). Whoever is going around saying that they don't like Lucas' new voice is probably either American, white-washed, or just some random angry Japanese who doesn't follow the crowd (and thus he's more likely to vent online).

I knew it, Diddy and Wario bottom tier ftl...
I wouldn't say that. What would I say about Diddy...I'd say that Diddy felt like he had potential, but it was hard to find a good finishing move. IMO he's going to be a little too lightweight to really rank up high in the final tier list (again, only after my first fight for 2 minutes in FFA, this means absolutely nothing lol), but his moves were definitely fun to pull off and seemed to have combo potential.

As for Wario, he wasn't too slow like Melee Bowser (I can't compare to Brawl Ike), but he wasn't too fast either...I guess kind of around the speed of Yoshi. Again, as with Diddy, I wasn't able to find a move that would cause massive damage over and over again or was used as a good killing move, but then again I can't even remember what his up Smash and down Smash looked like. Way to early to tell, though I'm pretty sure his specials suck :(

Oh, and finally, Kirby with Pit's arrows = bad ***. They still fly just as fast and pop you up decently if you have decent percentage. Actually, I lost my second sudden death to a Pit because he shot an arrow at me, I popped up and couldn't move from the lag, so he air up-a'd me and I died (lame).

Top Bottom